F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Unibody/subframe Damage?
Extreme Powerhouse

12-07-2012, 03:15 PM   #1
artieg30
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 F06

Unibody/subframe Damage?

Hey guys, i'm a first time poster but have been a long time follower on this forum. This is a bit of a long story but i suppose it's got to start somewhere..

i picked up my 2013 335xi m-sport this fall (late september) and she's been a joy to drive since! The only issue is i made a real stupid mistake early October when i drove my car through a milled section of the road. The road in question at the time didn't have any construction signs so i wasn't aware. After this i went back to the road and checked out the milled section of the road and there was probably a 4" drop from the milled section to the actual road surface.

As a result of all this, I got a damaged tire (bulge in the sidewall), bent rim, and now supposedly a bent steering knuckle from this damage. All the parts are being repaired/replaced by my BMW dealer, however i'm worried about the impact of the damage to the rest of my car's components.

I hit the milled section of the road at around 80-100km/h (50-62mph for our imperial friends) so i believe it's consistent with the damage to my wheel, tire and suspension, however my real question is; could there be possible unibody/subframe damage to the car as a result of this?

I'm currently having my dealer check all the suspension and chassis components, however i'm super paranoid now that there's more that is damaged and my worst fear is that i ended up damaging the unibody/subframe. Anybody care to weigh in on this with their experiences? I know that this car also has an aluminum/steel body so it should theoretically be less susceptible to these kind of things, is this true?
Appreciate 1
      12-07-2012, 04:38 PM   #2
howiegu
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 22%E2%80%99 M440

Your subframe is fine, just replacing the tires.
BTW, Calgary sucks
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2012, 04:43 PM   #3
artieg30
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by howiegu View Post
BTW, Calgary sucks
lol what's so bad about calgary?
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2012, 04:44 PM   #4
Chris@codemybimmer
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Canada
Rep

Drives: AW F30 328i Xdrive

your chassis should be fine
thats why we have suspension
if you had coilovers though im sure you wouldve broke something
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2012, 04:45 PM   #5
artieg30
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1lyfe View Post
your chassis should be fine
thats why we have suspension
if you had coilovers though im sure you wouldve broke something
i have the m-sport adaptive suspension, doesn't that come with coilovers?
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2012, 04:48 PM   #6
Chris@codemybimmer
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Canada
Rep

Drives: AW F30 328i Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by artieg30 View Post
i have the m-sport adaptive suspension, doesn't that come with coilovers?
nope
adaptive dampeners are not coilovers but you do find them in some coilovers
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2012, 05:12 PM   #7
howiegu
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 22%E2%80%99 M440

Quote:
Originally Posted by artieg30
Quote:
Originally Posted by howiegu View Post
BTW, Calgary sucks
lol what's so bad about calgary?
You tell me -
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2012, 05:19 PM   #8
Who?
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: F87 LCI

heartbreaking isnt it? i did the same thing as you, just on a lesser scale

i might be paranoid, but i think i hear a very little rattle at the beginning of acceleration. Not sure if its a interior noise or a engine/chassis noise.. but for now I'm gonna let it slide and turn the music on
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2012, 05:36 PM   #9
S-Dot
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i xDrive Luxury

Sorry to hear that.

Calgary roads can certainly be complete garbage, in far too many places. Calgary roads, construction and traffic are some of the reasons I'm happy to be near rather than in Calgary.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2012, 07:53 PM   #10
BMWrules7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015, 740 LdX, Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by artieg30
Hey guys, i'm a first time poster but have been a long time follower on this forum. This is a bit of a long story but i suppose it's got to start somewhere..

i picked up my 2013 335xi m-sport this fall (late september) and she's been a joy to drive since! The only issue is i made a real stupid mistake early October when i drove my car through a milled section of the road. The road in question at the time didn't have any construction signs so i wasn't aware. After this i went back to the road and checked out the milled section of the road and there was probably a 4" drop from the milled section to the actual road surface.

As a result of all this, I got a damaged tire (bulge in the sidewall), bent rim, and now supposedly a bent steering knuckle from this damage. All the parts are being repaired/replaced by my BMW dealer, however i'm worried about the impact of the damage to the rest of my car's components.

I hit the milled section of the road at around 80-100km/h (50-62mph for our imperial friends) so i believe it's consistent with the damage to my wheel, tire and suspension, however my real question is; could there be possible unibody/subframe damage to the car as a result of this?

I'm currently having my dealer check all the suspension and chassis components, however i'm super paranoid now that there's more that is damaged and my worst fear is that i ended up damaging the unibody/subframe. Anybody care to weigh in on this with their experiences? I know that this car also has an aluminum/steel body so it should theoretically be less susceptible to these kind of things, is this true?
Please file a claim with your insurance.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2012, 04:13 AM   #11
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whommolive
Body feels not good, then go to the hospital for examination, the doctor asked X-rayed,Buy MapleStory Mesos
X-ray, MD wrote diagnosis, and then I took the diagnosis and film to the doctor. Surprisingly, the doctors took X-ray diagnosis began shaking his head, his mouth Gee, I was immediately pumped wow cool, want to ask the doctor left how long results that doctors say is: "Oh, now young doctors, the handwriting is really bad. "WOW Gold
Wtf is this. Wrong website buddy.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2012, 02:26 AM   #12
artieg30
Private
Canada
Rep

so i finally got the car back from the shop after almost a month, the dealer had diganosed some issues with the alignment that couldn't be corrected so they had to replace the wheel hub and the swivel bearing camber.

The alignment was corrected to the factory specs after the parts in question were replaced, however i noted there was some ominous line in the service record saying that more parts may need to be replaced.

Do you guys think there are further suspension or subframe/unibody damages? I'm taking my car into a body shop next week but i'm wondering if i should get another shop to check out my suspension. The dealer tech also noted there were no visible suspension damages however it didn't go into detail what they checked. What do you guys think?
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2012, 04:31 AM   #13
clarence
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F30 328i M-Sport

If the alignment is correct then u're fine, cos if there are any damage still exist then the alignment will be off.
Visually if the suspension parts are straight & not kinked then they're not damaged (the steel ones are easy to see cos they're all U-sectioned). The subframe is much stronger than items such as tie rods & camber links, those will bend/break before the subframe does.
I think the most important thing is how it drives. If the alignment is all correct then the car should track & brake straight on a level road. Also take note of the tyre wear pattern, the alignment is off if there's uneven wear on any of the wheels.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2012, 06:41 AM   #14
David328M-Sport
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: F30 M-Sport 328i Estoril Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbmwuser View Post
i did the same thing as you, just on a lesser scale
Which suburb did you do that in? Or was it on the terrible Western Ring Road roadworks?
328i M-Sport, Estoril Blue, Carbon XP 35 Tint, front heated seats, black Dakota, Sports Suspension, Anthracite Headliner, HUD, Pro Nav, Sunroof, hk 600w, Bi-Xenon, 19" 403M wheels, Reversing Camera, DAB+, Xenon, BT Ext Connect, MST turbo intake pipe, MST Cold Air Intake, JB4 on Map 2 with Catless DP produces awesome performance in Sport.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2012, 07:00 AM   #15
Who?
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: F87 LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by David328M-Sport View Post
Which suburb did you do that in? Or was it on the terrible Western Ring Road roadworks?
i live in gold coast now lol
just as bad here
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2012, 02:26 PM   #16
David328M-Sport
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: F30 M-Sport 328i Estoril Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbmwuser View Post
i live in gold coast now lol
just as bad here
Oh, ok. Very nice place. Need to change your location description in user settings. Cheers.
328i M-Sport, Estoril Blue, Carbon XP 35 Tint, front heated seats, black Dakota, Sports Suspension, Anthracite Headliner, HUD, Pro Nav, Sunroof, hk 600w, Bi-Xenon, 19" 403M wheels, Reversing Camera, DAB+, Xenon, BT Ext Connect, MST turbo intake pipe, MST Cold Air Intake, JB4 on Map 2 with Catless DP produces awesome performance in Sport.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2012, 02:46 PM   #17
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: various BMW

Can you file a claim with your local/province government? In the USA each State has risk management and they handle road claims on a case by case basis. Many are turned down, but its worth a try. Also, if construction was underway and the contractor did not place appropriate signage they may be liable. At least that's the way it works in most US States. May be too late in your case since the claim is over 1 month ago. You can always try. If not, I hope your auto insurance covers and doesn't jack your rates.

BTW, ask dealer for alignment report. Also ask to see shop foreman and ask him what that line means about possibly needing more parts.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2012, 07:06 PM   #18
artieg30
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by claykin View Post
Can you file a claim with your local/province government? In the USA each State has risk management and they handle road claims on a case by case basis. Many are turned down, but its worth a try. Also, if construction was underway and the contractor did not place appropriate signage they may be liable. At least that's the way it works in most US States. May be too late in your case since the claim is over 1 month ago. You can always try. If not, I hope your auto insurance covers and doesn't jack your rates.

BTW, ask dealer for alignment report. Also ask to see shop foreman and ask him what that line means about possibly needing more parts.
I tried getting a hold of my local govt and the contractor that was responsible for that road and both told me to pound sand. My insurance does cover this sort of damage but i dont really want to claim it in fear of increased premiums and also the fact that there would be a "record" of this claim on the carfax reports if i ever did decide to sell it.

I have the alignment specs from the BMW kinematics machine, however i'm not the most knowledgable in suspension so i dont know what all the numbers mean. The service manager did say that all the alignment specs were within factory standards so i assume all is well?
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2012, 07:28 PM   #19
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: various BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by artieg30 View Post
I tried getting a hold of my local govt and the contractor that was responsible for that road and both told me to pound sand. My insurance does cover this sort of damage but i dont really want to claim it in fear of increased premiums and also the fact that there would be a "record" of this claim on the carfax reports if i ever did decide to sell it.

I have the alignment specs from the BMW kinematics machine, however i'm not the most knowledgable in suspension so i dont know what all the numbers mean. The service manager did say that all the alignment specs were within factory standards so i assume all is well?
You should be fine. Since you opted to not go through insurance, how much us all this costing you? BTW, even though carfax may not document the claim, anyone smart enough to pull service records will see it.

Your local gov't should pound sand. They work on roads and let people drive on them in conditions that will damage their car. Idiots. What does Canada law say about liability for road work and citizen vehicle damage?
Appreciate 0