F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > The F30 "iPad" Nav Screen - Bad Idea?
ARMA SPEED

12-21-2011, 09:39 PM   #23
spmd11
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3MC

Monitor

I've been wondering if this new design will allow easier screen replacement at a lower purchase and labor cost
      12-21-2011, 09:58 PM   #24
US///M3
Banned
Rep
Drives: 1973 Jensen Interceptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by praxis219 View Post
How long before the first F30 break-in occurs solely because some thief thinks that there is indeed an iPad jammed into the center console? I mean, there are some really stupid people out there...
You can put a sticker on the window that says; "Not an Ipad on the dash"
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2011, 12:01 AM   #25
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Coupe | M3 | Z4M Roadster

Garage List
I've seen one, in person, and it's not half as bad as most of you are making it out to be. This was on a test mule, and while I was not allowed inside the car, the door was open and I stuck my head inside. I also got a chance to walk around the car and saw it from all angles outside the car.

Typically, if something is different, the haters pop up without ever actually seeing it. I'm guessing that once you see you at your dealer in February most of you will agree with what I've said.

Everyone rags on how it's going to glare but every time I read about it in the press it mentions that the screen was specifically designed to eliminate glare. Do you think that BMW is going to purposely put in a newly designed screen without making sure it doesn't glare? Yeah, they make mistakes, but this one seems too obvious for them to make a mistake on it.

And what difference does it make how it looks, if you want an F30 and you want Nav are you really not going to order the car or the Nav because of the way it looks? Function before form I always say.

Appreciate 0
      12-22-2011, 01:07 AM   #26
praxis219
Rep
Drives: 2016 F30 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by US///M3 View Post
You can put a sticker on the window that says; "Not an Ipad on the dash"
LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD 335is View Post
I've seen one, in person, and it's not half as bad as most of you are making it out to be. This was on a test mule, and while I was not allowed inside the car, the door was open and I stuck my head inside. I also got a chance to walk around the car and saw it from all angles outside the car.

Typically, if something is different, the haters pop up without ever actually seeing it. I'm guessing that once you see you at your dealer in February most of you will agree with what I've said.

Everyone rags on how it's going to glare but every time I read about it in the press it mentions that the screen was specifically designed to eliminate glare. Do you think that BMW is going to purposely put in a newly designed screen without making sure it doesn't glare? Yeah, they make mistakes, but this one seems too obvious for them to make a mistake on it.

And what difference does it make how it looks, if you want an F30 and you want Nav are you really not going to order the car or the Nav because of the way it looks? Function before form I always say.
I'll still buy the F32 or whatever it will be called. Just wondering if there would be extra break-ins due to the iPad resemblance. Guess we'll find out soon enough...
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2011, 02:58 PM   #27
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I'll still buy the F32 or whatever it will be called. Just wondering if there would be extra break-ins due to the iPad resemblance. Guess we'll find out soon enough...
Oh, I understood the purpose of your original post, but that didn't stop people from trashing the Nav screen in this thread. Post anything mentioning the Nav screen in an F3x and the naysayers come out of the woodwork. Few people have seen it in person and I'm constantly amazed at how many people hate it without having seen it in person.

Appreciate 0
      12-22-2011, 08:21 PM   #28
Ron Scott
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 335 M Sport

Quote:
Post anything mentioning the Nav screen in an F3x and the naysayers come out of the woodwork. Few people have seen it in person and I'm constantly amazed at how many people hate it without having seen it in person.
That's a point but there are dozens of very clear pictures of this thing on this forum and it's butt ugly in those pics. Maybe it just doesn't photograph well...
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2011, 08:50 PM   #29
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Scott View Post
That's a point but there are dozens of very clear pictures of this thing on this forum and it's butt ugly in those pics. Maybe it just doesn't photograph well...
Would you buy a car when all you've seen is a picture of it? Of course not. Can you condemn a design feature when all you've seen is pictures? Possibly, but wouldn't you rather see it in person before you make up your mind?

Yeah, it looks different than the Nav in the E9x but get over it, it is what it is. And I ask again, if you're in the market for a car next year are you going to buy an Audi or a M-B just because you think the Nav screen in the F30 is "butt ugly"? If you buy one, a month later you won't even care. Much ado about nothing.

Appreciate 0
      12-23-2011, 06:26 AM   #30
HoustonEaDo
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

Garage List
Quote:

Yeah, it looks different than the Nav in the E9x but get over it, it is what it is. And I ask again, if you're in the market for a car next year are you going to buy an Audi or a M-B just because you think the Nav screen in the F30 is "butt ugly"? If you buy one, a month later you won't even care. Much ado about nothing.
I certainly would look at another car if a feature in one made the interior look "butt ugly" (not that I think this nav screen does that)...since you live most of your time inside the car looking at it...
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2011, 10:53 PM   #31
lonestar22
Ground Clearance?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 540i & X5

it works in the 650i. the the 135i actually has the worse idrive screen when it comes to the sun

E90 330i - E90 335i - E92 335i
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2011, 06:15 AM   #32
c0dew0rks
Japan
Rep
Drives: E90LCI 325i MSport

This is a good idea
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2011, 10:21 AM   #33
Tacoma
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMWs for 30 yrs

Quote:
Would you buy a car when all you've seen is a picture of it? Of course not. Can you condemn a design feature when all you've seen is pictures? Possibly, but wouldn't you rather see it in person before you make up your mind?

I'm not seeing any condemnation, just people stating their opinions on an Internet board. Of course one can change his/her minds after seeing this protrusion in real life or over time, but this is what we see now.

And it's not much ado about nothing. While a butt ugly design in and of itself won't deter a purchase decision, it is a negative point and if there are enough of them, then it could tip the scale towards Audi, MB or Lexus. I know many who turned to Audi or MB after seeing the Bangle designs when they first came out.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2011, 09:07 PM   #34
egal
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X3

Does this screen raise and lower?
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2011, 10:06 PM   #35
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:

I agree that final judgement should be rendered once the actual product is finally seen.
But, we can get a pretty good idea of the design just from the photos.

I don't get this whole "hater" thing.
Just because someone expresses their opinion on something, and concludes that they don't like it, then they get labeled a "hater".
That's BS. Not liking the design or function of something is a matter of personal taste and expectation. That doesn't make one a hater.
On the other hand, accepting anything BMW makes without question, can also get you labelled a "fan boy".

Anyway, I don't get NAV in any of my cars.
I use a smaller, portable Magellan NAV that I use whenever I need it.
Most of the time it's in the glovebox. I don't need NAV every time I drive my car, so I don't see a need to have NAV.
That's my personal choice, and it's far from being a hater of NAV or BMW's odd design of it.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2011, 02:05 AM   #36
praxis219
Rep
Drives: 2016 F30 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90 View Post
Anyway, I don't get NAV in any of my cars.
I use a smaller, portable Magellan NAV that I use whenever I need it.
Most of the time it's in the glovebox. I don't need NAV every time I drive my car, so I don't see a need to have NAV.
That's my personal choice, and it's far from being a hater of NAV or BMW's odd design of it.
These screens will now come whether you get Navigation or not
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2011, 03:22 PM   #37
David328M-Sport
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: F30 M-Sport 328i Estoril Blue

Quote:
I'm constantly amazed at how many people hate it without having seen it in person.
Can't wait to have my Nav Professional display Power and Torque dials.

Will it show G forces at work?
328i M-Sport, Estoril Blue, Carbon XP 35 Tint, front heated seats, black Dakota, Sports Suspension, Anthracite Headliner, HUD, Pro Nav, Sunroof, hk 600w, Bi-Xenon, 19" 403M wheels, Reversing Camera, DAB+, Xenon, BT Ext Connect, MST turbo intake pipe, MST Cold Air Intake, JB4 on Map 2 with Catless DP produces awesome performance in Sport.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2011, 03:23 PM   #38
David328M-Sport
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: F30 M-Sport 328i Estoril Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by engelbert View Post
Does this screen raise and lower?
No. It just stays there (and stares at you).
328i M-Sport, Estoril Blue, Carbon XP 35 Tint, front heated seats, black Dakota, Sports Suspension, Anthracite Headliner, HUD, Pro Nav, Sunroof, hk 600w, Bi-Xenon, 19" 403M wheels, Reversing Camera, DAB+, Xenon, BT Ext Connect, MST turbo intake pipe, MST Cold Air Intake, JB4 on Map 2 with Catless DP produces awesome performance in Sport.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2011, 05:26 PM   #39
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
These screens will now come whether you get Navigation or not
I know, and I'm not thrilled about it either.
Audi has a much better design for the non Nav screens.
The A4 for example, has a nice info screen and it's set in the dash and is easily seen.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2012, 03:14 PM   #40
Just a 3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i prem sport perf pkge

Definitely a concern if thieves mistake it for an Ipad. I don't have a Nav in my current car, and always have to pull the portable one off the windscreen and put it in the glovebox when I park - and it is a pain. Too much aggravation if someone breaks in your Bimmer for a damn $150 gizmo
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2012, 01:49 PM   #41
FstopBMW
F-series Mastermind
United_States
Rep
Drives: 12' F30 M-sport

I wish the I-drive screen was designed and sewn into the interior in a more refined way but it is what it is and there's nothing that can change that now.
      01-09-2012, 02:12 PM   #42
bluefly
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 e90 335i + NB miata

"Agent 001" needs to be briefed on the meaning of "biased" because his reports seem "slanted".

I greatly prefer the new interior to the E90 (i.e., looks more "premium", angled centre stack is driver-focused and so a return to e46 gen cars; seats look fantastic and if they are like the 5-series then I expect they will be much more comfortable; new cupholders are finally usefully located; etc.).

One exception is the non-retracting iDrive screen (a flaw in the E90 as well). I am sure I am not the only one that kept the iDrive turned OFF majority of the time and even in that state find it visually annoying to have a blank screen in centre of dash and not far below my line of sight to the right. With the F30 this is even worse. BMW missed by not making the iDrive screen retractable on this car... especially since it looks like it WOULD retract.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2022, 07:30 AM   #43
jojino77
Rep
Drives: f31

Hi, I am still waiting to activate PM
Appreciate 0