F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > 328i options suggestion
Extreme Powerhouse

11-15-2012, 03:45 AM   #1
Rambo
Rep
Drives: E90

328i options suggestion

Hi All,

My wife and I are interested in purchasing a no line (base) 2013 328i automatic red metallic paint with black leatherette. We are simple people and love the driving experiences of BMW. We are currently on our 2nd E90 and also own a Mini Cooper S R56.

We have allowed ourselves ~$1000-1200 to spend on options. For those of you who has several options, could you please tell me which one option you would pick as your only option? Here are the options we are considering:

A. Black Dakota leather $1450
B. lighting package (xenon & adaptive) $900
C. Park distance control and rear view camera $1150
D. Harmon Kardon audio $875

Thank you in advance.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2012, 03:52 AM   #2
Sky_Driver
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 318i, 2015 Lexus NX20

C>b>d.........>a Imo...
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2012, 04:35 AM   #3
MarkW83
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M Sport

in order:-
a: leather transforms the feel of any car's interior IMO
b: really enhances the front end, and look of the car at night; but you can always swap out for whiter halogen bulbs if you don't get them
c: you can probably do without these, certainly the rear view camera (if you already have PDC rear). I think PDC rear comes as standard anyway, so with a little care (with the front) you should be okay! Could help save you from some bumps etc. though so could save you some money/stress at some point, which is why I've put it above "d"
d: a great sounding system, but would be last on my personal list when compared to the above, and if you get the Hi-Fi system as standard (I think people in the US do), even less so
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2012, 04:35 AM   #4
Dark Knight37
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_Driver View Post
C>b>d.........>a Imo...
ditto
      11-15-2012, 05:21 AM   #5
Ron Scott
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 335 M Sport

Let your wife choose between C and B. BMW leather isn't much and the stock sound system is excellent.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2012, 05:43 AM   #6
JUSKIDN
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 EBII 328i M Sport

I really like the Harmon Kardon and would recommend it if $1200 is your limit. Most say the leatherette looks like the leather. I don't think parking assist and a rear camera are needed in this size car.
      11-15-2012, 07:06 AM   #7
hans007
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i

i'd say get the xenons out of your choices listed, as i love the look personally, but... if you really like the driving experience of a BMW, spend that $1000 on the dynamic handling package.

or scrape up another $1200 and get sport line.

a. dakota leather isn't very good, not to mention it will wear , i dont think most people can tell between this and leatherette. its actually pretty hard and tough i'd spend money elsewhere. maybe if it was say merino or some of the super nice leathers in 7 series etc...

b. lighting is a nice package, this would be my choice out of the ones you listed.

c. this is sometimes useful, but well its not an SUV you can probably get by without it, if i'm picking one option well this isnt it.

d. you probably should listen to this in 2 different F30s, but i personally didn't think it was worth it especially if you are trying to keep the number of options low. it does not seem hugely better, the stock system on the F30 is pretty nice, better than the e90 stock (and the e90 isnt even that bad)
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2012, 07:10 AM   #8
MarkW83
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Edit: I didn't know you guys got leatherette as standard; I believe we get either fabric seats or the full leather here in the UK (not leatherette); so if it comes with leatherette anyway, I position "a" last, instead
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2012, 07:18 AM   #9
MaestroAl
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335xD

What is leatherette?
      11-15-2012, 07:23 AM   #10
MarkW83
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaestroAl View Post
What is leatherette?
A "faux" leather I suppose? It looks like the folks in the US get this, perhaps instead of the cloth seats?
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2012, 07:31 AM   #11
MaestroAl
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335xD

Eww. I think I'd rather have cloth than anything fake The Dakota leather's plenty good enough anyway. Yeah, it's not plush but it's as good as the leather in my MPS and that's pristine after 6 years. You've just got to look after it like anything else. I always have my leather treated as soon as I get the car then get an annual top-up to keep it supple
      11-15-2012, 07:52 AM   #12
BMoutlaW
Team Blop
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 328i M-sport

Lighting package for sure halogens kill the look of a new car...
      11-15-2012, 08:22 AM   #13
Reznick
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 M3 ,01 330,M240?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaestroAl View Post
Eww. I think I'd rather have cloth than anything fake The Dakota leather's plenty good enough anyway. Yeah, it's not plush but it's as good as the leather in my MPS and that's pristine after 6 years. You've just got to look after it like anything else. I always have my leather treated as soon as I get the car then get an annual top-up to keep it supple
In all honesty Leatherette is actually pretty nice.The average person would never know it wasn't real leather if you didn't tell them. People have this idea of vinyl in cars from the 80's when they hear "fake " leather, but its light years ahead of anything like that.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2012, 08:35 AM   #14
hans007
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reznick View Post
In all honesty Leatherette is actually pretty nice.The average person would never know it wasn't real leather if you didn't tell them. People have this idea of vinyl in cars from the 80's when they hear "fake " leather, but its light years ahead of anything like that.
i honestly prefer leatherette. holds up a lot better and doesnt look all stretched out in a year. theres nothing wrong with synthetic cloths.. i mean its not like vinyl lawn furniture or something. alcantera i'd love to have and its synthetic.

anyway most entry level luxury / premium cars leather isn't really worth it anyway. its not napa , merino or novillo or something nice like available on a 5 series and up or an m3.

the bmw dakota is super thick and hard and not soft or well what i'd consider luxury feeling. it just happens to be made of an animal. my dad has had dakota in his 2004 X3 and it does hold up well, but if you are going to sit on something not soft might as well sit on leatherette. i think most people getting into new luxury cars just think "well it has to have leather to be luxury" so they buy it. sort of like how a high end camry XLE or somethign has "leather" since its either cloth or cheap leather.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2012, 08:41 AM   #15
Maz335i
BMW 4 Life...
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 SO M3 (on order)

Clearly its either C or B.

I would personally get both but if you HAD to choose one, then go for B as the Xenons are very important IMHO. It improves night time visibility and makes the car look 1000 times better.

Good luck either way...Let us know what you end up with!
      11-15-2012, 08:43 AM   #16
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tesla M3 Perf + '18 X3 M40i

Skip the leather.

Personally I couldn't live without the Xenons, and the HK is a must-have, as well. Bring your favorite CD to a dealer with a non-HK car, and give it a listen
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2012, 09:14 AM   #17
Hayir
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 328i modern line

A & D are only upgrades. You still get the leatheratte and Hi-fi withour them.
B is in between (some additional some upgrade)
C is an additional feature.

A: Especially in black teh difference between Leatheratte and dakota leather is not much.

B: Ligning package is a big improvement in appearence of the car and for night time drivings. Look at two different F30`s at the dealer, it looks like a different car witht eh lightning package.

C: Do you do lots of parallel parking? Why do you add the rearview camera parking distance control is good enough. I don`t see an extra benefit from the camera over the parking distance control.

D: Just an upgrade to the audio system. i would never get it as the only option.

I would go with B for sure. However, here is my suggestion to you:

Take B + parking distance control: $1650 which is only $200 more than the Dakota Leather you are considering.
      11-15-2012, 09:17 AM   #18
jokerswld34
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M760li

Garage List
2019 BMW M760i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by hans007
i'd say get the xenons out of your choices listed, as i love the look personally, but... if you really like the driving experience of a BMW, spend that $1000 on the dynamic handling package.

or scrape up another $1200 and get sport line.

a. dakota leather isn't very good, not to mention it will wear , i dont think most people can tell between this and leatherette. its actually pretty hard and tough i'd spend money elsewhere. maybe if it was say merino or some of the super nice leathers in 7 series etc...

b. lighting is a nice package, this would be my choice out of the ones you listed.

c. this is sometimes useful, but well its not an SUV you can probably get by without it, if i'm picking one option well this isnt it.

d. you probably should listen to this in 2 different F30s, but i personally didn't think it was worth it especially if you are trying to keep the number of options low. it does not seem hugely better, the stock system on the F30 is pretty nice, better than the e90 stock (and the e90 isnt even that bad)
I would say the best option would be the Dynamic handling package. It will give a much better ride for all driving conditions and preferences. My wife hated my f30 sport line and said it was way to rough for her in the passenger seat. She complained all the time! The luxury suspension was too soft for my taste. So i traded in for m sport line with dhp. the m adaptive suspension gave us the best of both worlds and for $1000 it was well worth it!

I wouldn't waste the money on the cameras and pdc, and if leather isn't a deal breaker, I wouldn't spend on that either. If you and the wife are audiophiles then the HK system will be a good upgrade. The hifi system is very good but once you hear the HK you won't go back. But if you're not that big into music listening, I would leave the HK out too.

Good luck
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2012, 09:30 AM   #19
sean10mm
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 335i xDrive 6MT ZDH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambo View Post
We are simple people and love the driving experiences of BMW.
In that case I agree that DHP for $1,000 sounds like a good option to add to the mix. Better ride in comfort mode and better handling in sport/sport+ mode.

If you like the handling on the base suspension (lots of people do) then get the leather over the DHP It's a luxury car, it should have leather unless you know you're going to beat up the interior (e.g. because of kids, pets).
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2012, 09:43 AM   #20
eric@helix
United_States
Rep
Drives: 01 M Coupe, 08 135i, '12 328i

I have a sport line with only 'A' of your list. I don't miss B,C, or D from your list, except perhaps for the Xenon lights. I'm looking into conversions right now for a whole lot less than the factory option. I'll report later on this. The sport line has MUCH better and more comfortable seats. The non HK stereo is, in my opinion, superb.

Ditto on the above comment about cloth vs. leatherette, I would much rather have it. As it turns out, I got leather and love it.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2012, 01:12 PM   #21
nikneo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F30 328i Sport

I would say of the things you've listed, PDC is the most functional. Definitely dont get leather - the leatherette is more than good enough. I would really recommend the sport package - comes with infinitely better seats, better suspension and better looks - well worth the price

As for the the lighting package, it definitely looks better than the standard but i wouldn't say its a must. As you can see from the above comments most (not all) get it only for the LED DRLs looks- I personally don't think that justifies the price. Don't know why BMW dint include the DRL light guide as a standard... I don't really care for the whiteish look.. just wished it had the coronas
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2012, 01:33 PM   #22
mark.L
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 335i

B & D.