F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F34 3-Series GT (Gran Turismo) Forum > Review of the GT after 1 month of driving
proTUNING Freaks

02-02-2016, 02:03 PM   #1
dmleong
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 328i GT

Review of the GT after 1 month of driving

After 1 month and 1000 miles of driving my 2016 328i GT here is my review and some thoughts(good and bad) regarding the GT. This is my first BMW so I am new to this world. Some background from want I own currently 2001 Audi A6 2.T 6-speed, 2004 Subaru WRX wagon, 2015 Subaru Forester Base/CVT. I am far from an auto enthusiast, but like to drive a little more than spirited at times. I have always wanted a BMW since i participated in a Drive for the cure autocross event in 2000 where we drove new 2001 323 and 328 sedans on short courses. I finally had the finances and received a decent deal to lead us to the GT. I have to say that the maintenance plan was huge factor in purchasing also.

One thing that concerned me was the power of the car. I can say now I have no problems with the power delivery in sports mode(have not tried sports plus yet). In comfort mode it is ok, but really only bearable on the freeway. In eco mode it's like driving a Prius, but with less power. My wife was like WTF is this crap when she first drove it in eco mode. It is real dangerous pulling out of driveways or parking spots when there is traffic. We pretty much like sports mode which brings the question is there any way to default in sports mode or do you have to push the button everytime you start up because it defaults in comfort? I asked the BMW genius at the dealership and he said no.

After 20+ years of driving manual transmission I find the automatic transmission very good. We broke down last year and bought a forester auto because the manual transmission felt flimsy. No choice for the GT it was only auto. In my older age I really like this feature. The auto is more than compliant for my needs, but is a tad jerky in sports mode.

Overall size and space are amazing. The car seem like it is longer than my A6. I had a coworker look at it and he said that's a huge car are you sure it's a 3 series. Space is amazing inside. My kids 8 and 10 love the back seat often sprawl out and lie back there. Trunk space is amazing, I can fit all my kids team basketballs and multiple gym bags in there. And it is at a level where I can access them with out reaching up or far back. Love the hatch and how you can adjust it so it won't hit the top of the garage.

I also love the technology in the car even though I probably don't use them to their full extent. Love the parking assist or as the kids call them those beeppy things to tell you how close you are. Love the navi and how easy it is to set in the Idrive even though I'm still getting use to it. i think it will take 6 months to a year before I really get comfortable using all the gadgets in this car.

Now for a few cons/gripes.
As I mentioned before in my opinion the eco mode is just yuck, it may suit some but not my family.
There is a good amount of body roll feel when going around corners. The car is always planted, but you can feel the weight. Better than my A6, but no where close to the WRX. I guess you have to expect that with a bigger 4000 pound car.
The brakes are adequate but the feel is a little off you really have to step on it for the car to stop. I just hope that i need to break them in a little or just get used to the feel.
The wiper speed far is too fast for when it is sprinkling and I cannot find a way to adjust it slower with the auto rain sensor. I end up pulling down and doing it manual for when I need it. Is there any way to set the speed slower?
Also the turn signals are very confusing. I often find myself signaling one way and then to cancel overshooting and signalling the other way. I hope I get used to it soon.

Overall the car is great. I know the cons/gripes are a little nitpicky, but that's just how i feel. I think if you spend this kind of money on something you have a little more to complain about. I still don't understand the hate this car generates from the forums. Everyone I know who has seen this car loves it visually and loves it even more for the space and versatility. That is what drew me to this car. Performance wise it is more than adequate for my needs. As others said it checked all the boxes especially for a family. I don't see myself buying another BMW or any car for another 5 years plus, but if I were to I could see myself buying another GT. Only next time I would order one unless they had exactly what I wanted in stock.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2016, 02:46 PM   #2
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

Eco is a bit weak off the line, but since it defaults to normal you're not going to be in eco anyway unless you put it there. Sport mode doesn't do much, if anything, until you hit 20 mph or so. Then it keeps the transmission in one lower gear than normal, so it will rev higher. I hardly use it. If I anticipate having to pass with not a lot of room to do it I'll put into sport, which drops it down a gear and revs the engine so there's less lag when I do hit the gas to pass. After passing I usually drop it back to normal, since that higher revving eats gas. You could essentially do the same thing with the paddles, but I never use mine.
You'll get used to the turn signal, along with everything else it will become second nature eventually.
Quote:
I still don't understand the hate this car generates from the forums.
IMO most of it comes from kiddies barely old enough to drive, let alone afford a BMW, unless Daddy bought it for them. Appreciating a practical car requires a fully functioning brain, which studies show men don't acquire much below age 30.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2016, 03:03 PM   #3
sushkr
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i xDrive GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
IMO most of it comes from kiddies barely old enough to drive, let alone afford a BMW, unless Daddy bought it for them. Appreciating a practical car requires a fully functioning brain, which studies show men don't acquire much below age 30.
Well well well. Are you starting an age war here. I hope someone below 30 will speak up here.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2016, 03:12 PM   #4
sushkr
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Sport mode doesn't do much, if anything, until you hit 20 mph or so.
It depends on how you drive. I would like to say it is the opposite. Sport mode is also very useful as you start up from zero mph, mostly on stop lights. Comfort/Eco mode will not let you get out of there in front, which is annoying for many of us.

Quote:
If I anticipate having to pass with not a lot of room to do it I'll put into sport, which drops it down a gear and revs the engine so there's less lag when I do hit the gas to pass.
When you need to pass you don't have the time to look for the button, put your car in sport mode, and then pass. I am surprised you do it this way. If you are in comfort and drive position, just hit the gear shift knob to the left and it automatically lowers one gear down almost instantaneously. Better still, if you just hit down paddle shifter in the drive D mode, you are shifted down by a gear immediately and then later it automatically brings it back to D after a while.
Appreciate 2
      02-02-2016, 03:20 PM   #5
sushkr
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmleong View Post
Now for a few cons/gripes.
As I mentioned before in my opinion the eco mode is just yuck, it may suit some but not my family.
There is a good amount of body roll feel when going around corners. The car is always planted, but you can feel the weight. Better than my A6, but no where close to the WRX. I guess you have to expect that with a bigger 4000 pound car.
The brakes are adequate but the feel is a little off you really have to step on it for the car to stop. I just hope that i need to break them in a little or just get used to the feel.
The wiper speed far is too fast for when it is sprinkling and I cannot find a way to adjust it slower with the auto rain sensor. I end up pulling down and doing it manual for when I need it. Is there any way to set the speed slower?
Also the turn signals are very confusing. I often find myself signaling one way and then to cancel overshooting and signalling the other way. I hope I get used to it soon.
Wiper speed can be adjusted with a "fine" adjust knob/button. Just look for it on the handle.

To cancel a turn signal, don't flick it the opposite way. Just press it once more in the same direction (but a gently flick, not all the way) and it cancels out.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2016, 05:14 PM   #6
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushkr View Post
It depends on how you drive. I would like to say it is the opposite. Sport mode is also very useful as you start up from zero mph, mostly on stop lights. Comfort/Eco mode will not let you get out of there in front, which is annoying for many of us.
I've never had that issue, not even driving in Montreal, where getting from one light to the next in the shortest possible time is a local law. Rome has nothing on Montreal drivers.

Quote:
When you need to pass you don't have the time to look for the button, put your car in sport mode, and then pass.
Nor have I had a problem with doing so on the New Jersey Turnpike, where even NASCAR drivers fear to tread. The speed limit may say 65, but if you only do 80 you're going to be run down, usually by a junker that's in such bad shape you wonder how it runs at all.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2016, 05:51 PM   #7
rapid64k
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: GT 330D M Sport Plus

Quote:
You cant really complain about ECO to be fair as it just an Economy mode which the GT handles rather well.

Quote:
Next time try the M-Sport Package you like those breaks better.

Quote:

After 20+ years of driving manual transmission I find the automatic transmission very good. We broke down last year and bought a forester auto because the manual transmission felt flimsy. No choice for the GT it was only auto. In my older age I really like this feature. The auto is more than compliant for my needs, but is a tad jerky in sports mode
You may like the Sports auto box instead.
      02-03-2016, 04:11 AM   #8
Skald
Private
Hungary
Rep
Drives: '16 F34 320d luxury

Quote:
I guess it's a very common thing, Even if it's not just about the age factor. There are too many idiots out there, young and middle aged too, who think that if you harshly critize something you will look better. It's just so entertaining that these people also think that breaking the rules and being extremest is the way to go - still they hate a car which is a total rulebreaker and a very unique concept without going against any BMW principle.

These are the same guys with the other false semi-romantic raging BS around:

"New BMWs are crap, it's all about the money nowadays, only badge heroes buy this shit. They are built to fail so you will buy a new one soon" - Best longterm strategy for any leading global company...

"Lolol look at that 4 cylinder engine, what a joke" - no comment

"Niche,Niche,Niche!" - Finding solutions for special expectations is a shame for sure.

I remember my first encounter with a 3 series GT on the road and my first impression was like "damn... it has road presence for sure".

I'm 34 btw : )
Appreciate 1
      02-03-2016, 10:24 AM   #9
DJHakim
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 330i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skald View Post
I'm 34 btw : )
F34?
E90 (2009 328xi): ZCP, iDrive, BMW Assist, PDC, Alarm, Shades, SG Metal [Ret]
E90 (2006 325xi): ZSP, ZCP, iDrive, BMW Assist, PDC, CA, Xenons, Shades, CrO3 Exhaust, TiAg Metal [Ret]
Appreciate 1
      02-03-2016, 12:21 PM   #10
dmleong
United_States
Rep

Quote:
This is exactly how I feel. I use sports in the city just to get the good starts from zero and comfort on the freeway. I live in a big city with a lot of cars and eco mode to me is dangerous because you can't get out of the way. Comfort is much better but I still feel that slow start from zero.

Quote:
Wiper speed can be adjusted with a "fine" adjust knob/button. Just look for it on the handle.
Ok I've used that and it works fine, but at speed the rain sensor kicks in and I can't control the speed anymore with the toggle switch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapid64k View Post
You cant really complain about ECO to be fair as it just an Economy mode which the GT handles rather well.
Next time try the M-Sport Package you like those breaks better.
You may like the Sports auto box instead.
Even though I will probably never use eco I guess I should be happy that the option is there if I choose to.
I think I need to just get used to the braking. It is a heavy car and takes time to stop. I believe here our M-sport package is only body parts and steering wheel, but I will look into the brakes as an upgrade and for any future purchases.
The sports autobox, is this when you push the lever to the left? If that's it, it is a cool feature along with the paddle shifters, but nothing beats the feel of a real clutch and throw. With that said I still like the AT on this car.

Quote:
To cancel a turn signal, don't flick it the opposite way. Just press it once more in the same direction (but a gently flick, not all the way) and it cancels out.
Thanks for the tip starting to use it and it works. The hard part is trying to avoid habit and cancelling out the other way.

Quote:
You'll get used to the turn signal, along with everything else it will become second nature eventually.
Thanks for the encouragement and at some point in time i will get used to this car. Hopefully sooner than later. Though I do have some complaints about the car I am also realistic about it. It took me 16 years to come to a decision to want a BMW to actually buying one, so I really appreciate the car for what it is. At a younger age and if the car were given to me I probably would not appreciate it as much. It is by far the nicest car I have ever owned and it always brings a smile to my face when I drive it.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2016, 01:27 PM   #11
rapid64k
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Hi dmleong,

There are two auto box options. There is the normal standard 8 speed automatic version and an 8 speed Sport automatic available.

The Eco mode can prove quite usefull especially if you are running low on fuel It can get you out of trouble.
      02-03-2016, 02:05 PM   #12
dmleong
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Hi dmleong,

There are two auto box options. There is the normal standard 8 speed automatic version and an 8 speed Sport automatic available.
I think we get the sport automatic here in the US as standard issue.
Appreciate 1
      02-03-2016, 02:09 PM   #13
sushkr
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
After 20+ years of driving manual transmission I find the automatic transmission very good. We broke down last year and bought a forester auto because the manual transmission felt flimsy. No choice for the GT it was only auto. In my older age I really like this feature. The auto is more than compliant for my needs, but is a tad jerky in sports mode.
I drive my GT in manual (manumatic?) mode >90% of the time. After a few months of driving, I have to say I don't miss my previous stick shift any more. Although I would have loved to buy a stick shift, my wife wanted an auto, so I looked for the cars with best manumatic transmissions. I test drove a few and BMWs were the best, one of the reasons I bought a bimmer. I just can't think of driving this thing in auto mode, the feeling of shifting a gear when you want it is something else. The only gripe I have is when shifting from gear 1 to 2, otherwise it shifts gears almost instantaneously on command. To get any better, I have to shell out much more dough and get a car with dual-clutch transmission.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2016, 03:53 PM   #14
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I just can't think of driving this thing in auto mode,
I never use the shifter or the paddles. The reason I went to an automatic with my previous car is that after 30 years of driving MTs I'd simply grown tired of them, especially when driving in the city. The reason I went to a luxury car, aside from having paid off my mortgage so I could afford to, was so I could enjoy the benefits of a luxury car, which includes not doing my own shifting. If I was still into shifting and a hard ride I'd have bought a Z4.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2016, 04:48 PM   #15
rapid64k
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I think we get the sport automatic here in the US as standard issue.
That's sweet, you guys also get the sunroof free as well.
      02-04-2016, 03:28 AM   #16
Ronstein
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: 2019 640i GT MSport

I use Sport for getting away at the lights and the paddles for motorway overtaking to avoid the lag. As Sushkr says, you can drop a couple of gears with the paddles alone, blast past and then it drops back into auto by itself. Of course, the 630Nm of torque helps too :-)
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2016, 03:54 AM   #17
dmleong
United_States
Rep

Quote:
That's sweet, you guys also get the sunroof free as well.
Don't feel so bad I have a feeling anything that BMW gives us is not truly free.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2016, 05:37 AM   #18
rapid64k
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Don't feel so bad I have a feeling anything that BMW gives us is not truly free.
You may be right on that.

I have a saying, the only thing you get free from BMW is the seats a steering wheel .......and the air you breath in the cabin and that's it.............. the rest you have to pay for!
      02-04-2016, 07:32 AM   #19
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
the only thing you get free from BMW is the seats a steering wheel .......and the air you breath in the cabin
They'd make those options too if they could find a way.
Appreciate 1
      02-04-2016, 09:21 AM   #20
bama123
Rep
Drives: F31

We have to pay for both options.
The roof costs 1800 dollar and the paddles cost an extra 360 dollar that is without the cost (1350 usd) of the automatic gearbox.
In Holland most of the people buy a 320D or i, we even have a 318D.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2016, 10:08 AM   #21
rapid64k
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bama123 View Post
We have to pay for both options.
The roof costs 1800 dollar and the paddles cost an extra 360 dollar that is without the cost (1350 usd) of the automatic gearbox.
In Holland most of the people buy a 320D or i, we even have a 318D.
Wow that's a bit steep.
      02-04-2016, 02:38 PM   #22
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Wow that's a bit steep.
I'd imagine that it's no more than the increase in the base price for the US version.
Appreciate 0