F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Hub Lip and Spacer issue
GetBMWParts

11-18-2015, 10:14 AM   #45
tboooe
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F36 428i GC, E36 M3 - gone :(

Take this advice at your own risk....I personally think you can use a 5mm spacer in rear. It will just reduce the amount of lip that engages the wheel. As long as there is enough lip to center the wheel you are fine. I did this on my previous car, an Audi S5 without an issues with vibrations, wobbles, etc. Having less of a lip made it a bit more difficult to center the wheel especially since the wheel hub was tapered. However, once I got the wheel on I didnt have any issues.

In fact, I wonder if there is really any need for the hub lip at all aside from centering the wheel? Wont the lugs do that for you anyway?

2015 428i GC - Alpine White - Coral Red - M Sport
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2015, 11:16 AM   #46
kzflags
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 C63 coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by tboooe View Post
Take this advice at your own risk....I personally think you can use a 5mm spacer in rear. It will just reduce the amount of lip that engages the wheel. As long as there is enough lip to center the wheel you are fine. I did this on my previous car, an Audi S5 without an issues with vibrations, wobbles, etc. Having less of a lip made it a bit more difficult to center the wheel especially since the wheel hub was tapered. However, once I got the wheel on I didnt have any issues.

In fact, I wonder if there is really any need for the hub lip at all aside from centering the wheel? Wont the lugs do that for you anyway?
why does a smaller spacer reduce the amount of lip? doesn't it make sense for a smaller spacer to use up LESS of the wheel hub.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2015, 11:19 AM   #47
kzflags
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

ohh, does a larger spacer mean the entire wheel will sit on the spacer instead of half on a smaller spacer and half on the hub lip
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2015, 01:06 PM   #48
tboooe
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kzflags View Post
ohh, does a larger spacer mean the entire wheel will sit on the spacer instead of half on a smaller spacer and half on the hub lip
Yes and no, a larger spacer will have its own lip while a smaller spacer will just be a flat disk like a washer so whatever thickness of the small spacer, the available car hub lip will be reduced by that same thickness.

Appreciate 1
      11-18-2015, 01:23 PM   #49
kzflags
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Yes and no, a larger spacer will have its own lip while a smaller spacer will just be a flat disk like a washer so whatever thickness of the small spacer, the available car hub lip will be reduced by that same thickness.
awesome great explanation. I get it lol.

go bruins this wknd!!!!! hate utah
Appreciate 1
      11-18-2015, 01:28 PM   #50
tboooe
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kzflags View Post

go bruins this wknd!!!!! hate utah
Thanks man...though I am not holding my breath! As long as we beat SUC its all good.

Appreciate 0