F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Question Regarding Tire Protection Program + Winter Tires
ARMA SPEED

02-29-2012, 04:19 PM   #1
wdlv
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i M Sport

Red face Question Regarding Tire Protection Program + Winter Tires

I've always had all-season tires and and will be upgrading to an F30 335i Sport Line with 19" tires which I know are Summer tires. I'm concerned about winter driving so, I'd like to know if I purchase a wheel/tire set from BMW for Winter will they included in the tire insurance?

Otherwise, I know that I'll be able to buy aftermarket winter wheel/tire sets that will probably be less expensive.

One more thing, is it better to get a whole different wheel/tire set for winter or just the tires and swap them out on the current rims? Space is a premium right now so, no house or garage (not at this point but hopefully that'll change in a few years).

Any advice is appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2012, 04:38 PM   #2
iwannabimmer
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 mazda6s grand touring

The best thing to do IMO is to buy a wheel + tire combo for winter rather than just swap tires on the same wheels. Two reasons for that:

1- You want a smaller wheels for winter

2- You will risk damage the wheels if you swap tires twice a year

But if you do not have space to store your winter set wheels+tires, then I wouldn't go with the 19s on the sportline. I would stick with 18s and all-season tires until you get storage space. Then get winter tires for the 18s and buy 19s with summer tires.

just my $0.02
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2012, 06:07 PM   #3
wdlv
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwannabimmer View Post
The best thing to do IMO is to buy a wheel + tire combo for winter rather than just swap tires on the same wheels.
Thanks, I appreciate your advice. It definitely seems like sound advice.

I think I will be get an extra set of wheels/tires for winter and I'm sure I can manage a place to put the wheel set (either at a friends house or in storage or some other solution).

In any case, I'm looking forward to getting proper winter tires for next season. All-season tires are "ok," but you definitely slip and slide during the cold season.

On an off topic, too bad winter has been a let down here on the East Coast but I'm looking forward to next year. Here's hoping for a better skiing season.

*One last thing, does any one know if an "official" BMW wheel/tire set would be covered on tire protection?
Appreciate 0