F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > ronanz's ENZO Flash Tune **UPDATE 11/4/16 ... NO LONGER ENZO TUNED
proTUNING Freaks

11-06-2016, 07:41 AM   #353
CIWS
Moon Parasite
United_States
Rep
Drives: F98 X4M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronanz View Post
Thanks Nate! Man, that's such a bummer roller coaster ride of unfortunate events you've been on....no doubt you'll get it figured out tho!

Yeah been reading through some of his threads. But they don't call it Mod-Hell for nothing !

2020 X4M Comp. (currently stock) - Was 2015 335 MSport -MPPK -Borla ATAK -Dinan Sport+ - E.R. Charge pipe / 2013 X1 35i Sport - Dinan tune / 2009 X6 50i Dinan badged
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2016, 12:45 PM   #354
Alex@VNV-Speed
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 ACF Tuned 385xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan_f22 View Post
I had left enzo to try another tuner.

After 3 days on the dyno and attempts at different tunes and settings, i kept getting misfires at 5k. I went back to enzo, no issues at all.
Sounds similar to what we experienced on Ronanz car. Except the issue wasn't with our tune. Rather Enzo's choice to use copper core motorcycle spark plugs and use stock AFR maps running high 14s or 15 AFR at WOT. When we corrected AFR to target high 11s low 12s we also got these awful misfires. A quick inspection of the plugs showed the damage they had suffered from the extreme lean run conditions, also seeing that Enzo has actually downgraded the N55 plugs to cheaper copper core motorcycle plugs we just picked up some N20 NGK plugs got them installed and misfires instantly disappeared and our tune ran flawlessly.
[IMG]
View post on imgur.com
[/IMG]
[IMG]
View post on imgur.com
[/IMG]

Would be interested to see what your logs look like with your Enzo tune and if your AFRs are also still on the stock map. Also if Enzo installed plugs for you I'd be curious if they also made the choice to use the same copper core motorcycle plugs.
Appreciate 1
Jadar1752.50
      11-06-2016, 03:04 PM   #355
Luminous
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex@ACF View Post
Quote:
I had left enzo to try another tuner.

After 3 days on the dyno and attempts at different tunes and settings, i kept getting misfires at 5k. I went back to enzo, no issues at all.
Sounds similar to what we experienced on Ronanz car. Except the issue wasn't with our tune. Rather Enzo's choice to use copper core motorcycle spark plugs and use stock AFR maps running high 14s or 15 AFR at WOT. When we corrected AFR to target high 11s low 12s we also got these awful misfires. A quick inspection of the plugs showed the damage they had suffered from the extreme lean run conditions, also seeing that Enzo has actually downgraded the N55 plugs to cheaper copper core motorcycle plugs we just picked up some N20 NGK plugs got them installed and misfires instantly disappeared and our tune ran flawlessly.
[IMG]
View post on imgur.com
[/IMG]
[IMG]
View post on imgur.com
[/IMG]

Would be interested to see what your logs look like with your Enzo tune and if your AFRs are also still on the stock map. Also if Enzo installed plugs for you I'd be curious if they also made the choice to use the same copper core motorcycle plugs.
Wow that's certainly odd, I've been using
the N20s for a while and the S55s while on the stock turbo, all of which were installed by Enzo, so not sure what that's about. Either way new plugs are an easy fix, glad you guys got it sorted!

Concerning the AFRs I know the Enzo tune targets low 12s at WOT so maybe OP's stock fuel system couldn't keep up with the boost? Either way sounds like something was off!

Did you redyno with your tune? Wondering how much power you put down? Curious what the limit of the stock fuel system is.

Glad the car is running well!

2015 SO M3 6MT

2015 BSM M235xi
Appreciate 1
FSociety3812.50
      11-06-2016, 04:54 PM   #356
Alex@VNV-Speed
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 ACF Tuned 385xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luminous View Post

Concerning the AFRs I know the Enzo tune targets low 12s at WOT so maybe OP's stock fuel system couldn't keep up with the boost? Either way sounds like something was off!
Please watch your use of terms like "the Enzo tune" because in this thread "the Enzo tune" is the custom flash file created by Enzo specifically for ronanz car. "The Enzo tune" in this case did not target low 12s at WOT; it had the same AFR target maps as the stock N55 file.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2016, 07:49 PM   #357
Luminous
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Please watch your use of terms like "the Enzo tune" because in this thread "the Enzo tune" is the custom flash file created by Enzo specifically for ronanz car. "The Enzo tune" in this case did not target low 12s at WOT; it had the same AFR target maps as the stock N55 file.
Actually, I had the same backend flash as Ronanz on my car.

So I take it you didn't redyno?

2015 SO M3 6MT

2015 BSM M235xi
Appreciate 1
FSociety3812.50
      11-06-2016, 08:06 PM   #358
ronanz
Gettin It Figured Out
United_States
Rep
Drives: 435i FBO PS2 bm3 w/ options

Quote:
Actually, I had the same backend flash as Ronanz on my car.

So I take it you didn't redyno?

No sir...was unable to secure one on short notice (SEMA had everyone's attention) mike@x-ph.com (Extreme Power House) tried to help me track one down

My Build Thread can be found HERE
Appreciate 1
Luminous742.00
      11-06-2016, 08:29 PM   #359
bryan_G01
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: like i stole it...

Quote:
[IMG]
View post on imgur.com
[/IMG]
[IMG]
View post on imgur.com
[/IMG]

I'm trying the s55 plugs as some say they are good, some say they are not. No issues, gapped to .19-.20. Also want to point out that had no misfires while on stock tune with tuner #2 only his dyno based maps. I wont drop names since its not required, this was his first f22 and he tried hard to get it right.

AFR's are set to 12.5 with Enzo.

Not saying anyone is better than someone else, but for my car and reliability, Enzo is solid. Flash only with no jb4 I run a 12.013 @ 114.xx and lap lime rock @ 1:05.3.

Sorry for the hijack.
1997 M3 Sedan Auto Cosmo Black Metallic
2018 x3 m40 Auto Grey Metallic

Last edited by bryan_G01; 11-06-2016 at 08:34 PM..
Appreciate 1
FSociety3812.50
      11-07-2016, 04:57 AM   #360
CIWS
Moon Parasite
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Sorry for the hijack.

Glad they posted the link to the cable in the other thread. I've been needing to get one. Just been forgetting

3) BMW ENET (OBD) cable - available on Amazon, one of them available here:
https://www.amazon.com/BMW-ENET-Ethe...rds=enet+cable

Prime FTW

2020 X4M Comp. (currently stock) - Was 2015 335 MSport -MPPK -Borla ATAK -Dinan Sport+ - E.R. Charge pipe / 2013 X1 35i Sport - Dinan tune / 2009 X6 50i Dinan badged
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2016, 07:02 AM   #361
FSociety
IG @bmwF9xG80
Rep
Drives: G80 M3, X4M, G07 X7m50

Garage List
2023 BMW G80 M3  [0.00]
2020 BMW X4MC  [0.00]
16' BMW X4 M40i  [10.00]
06 Cadillac STS  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CIWS View Post
Quote:
Sorry for the hijack.

Glad they posted the link to the cable in the other thread. I've been needing to get one. Just been forgetting

3) BMW ENET (OBD) cable - available on Amazon, one of them available here:
https://www.amazon.com/BMW-ENET-Ethe...rds=enet+cable

Prime FTW
I posted a better one which u also can get customized to any size

IG: @bmwF9XG80

Appreciate 0
      11-07-2016, 12:27 PM   #362
Ricardo@ACFPerformance
Registered
Brazil
Rep
Drives: Mit Evo

Quote:
the N20s for a while and the S55s while on the stock turbo, all of which were installed by Enzo, so not sure what that's about. Either way new plugs are an easy fix, glad you guys got it sorted!

Did you redyno with your tune? Wondering how much power you put down? Curious what the limit of the stock fuel system is.

Hey Luminous, nice to hear from you here again. We won`t start any crusade against no other tuner, it`s not our business practice, results shows by itself, all i`m gonna say is more educational than any other thing...

When you do a flashtune you can dial the target AFR map and also the DI injection map to help achieve such result, those 2 tables have to be really correlated. In some cases you can set the target to 12ish and leave the DI injection alone then use other fueling method to help the DI to reach its target.

If you are running the same backend flash as Ronanz was (it`s an error since both setups are a lot different fuelingwise), there might be not many problems for you, because your fueling is being fed using the PI so you can leave the DI table alone and throw huge amounts of fuel (until it zero the fuel trim without being able to reach the targeted 13.5ish) and end up with 12ish.

But since Ronanz didn`t had any other fueling method on his car, only relying on the stock fueling system, leaving the DI table untouched, it`s just a flaw. And in his case, lead to a 15ish AFR vehicle with some mild boost in his PS2... Glad that this engine is strong as it is ... Doing this mistake into any MPFI vehicle would mean melted internals, in Ronanz case was only the plugs acting like a fuse, and the fuse was blown...

So about ACF`s position, we can be as technical as you would like but will not enter in keyboard fights and endless discussions about who is better than who, we won`t polute Ronanz thread anymore so if you would like to get more info just PM me and i would be glad to answer everyones technical doubts or just use the topic created by Alex in this board that should be used for that purpose).

And just answering your other question, i don`t think that we have pickedup a lot of horsepower since at 18 psi level the PS2 is just starting to show it`s airflow capabilities. We have dynoed other car with just a PS2, colombian finest 85 oct fuel (simulating the 91 Oct), and a kittyless downpipe and it gave us 410whp... 440whp when fuel was mixed with torco aditives to raise from 85 to 93 Oct theoretically.

Here are the following graphs:

And should be really close to what Ron should been runing now.

The stock fueling will be maxed out around the 430-460whp depending on how much Ethanol you have mixxed and the quality of your fuel.

Any other question, you already know! PM me (or alex) or go to the flashtune troubleshoot topic.

Other than that i`m just happy that we could achieve Ronanz expectation and that i had the oportunity to meet such a great guy. So far the most incredible looking BMW i`ve ever seen.

Best,
Ricardo Freitas
ACFPerformance
Appreciate 5
Luminous742.00
FSociety3812.50
Jadar1752.50
ronanz1819.50
      11-07-2016, 12:54 PM   #363
Luminous
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricardo@ACFPerformance View Post
Quote:

Hey Luminous, nice to hear from you here again. We won`t start any crusade against no other tuner, it`s not our business practice, results shows by itself, all i`m gonna say is more educational than any other thing...

When you do a flashtune you can dial the target AFR map and also the DI injection map to help achieve such result, those 2 tables have to be really correlated. In some cases you can set the target to 12ish and leave the DI injection alone then use other fueling method to help the DI to reach its target.

If you are running the same backend flash as Ronanz was (it`s an error since both setups are a lot different fuelingwise), there might be not many problems for you, because your fueling is being fed using the PI so you can leave the DI table alone and throw huge amounts of fuel (until it zero the fuel trim without being able to reach the targeted 13.5ish) and end up with 12ish.

But since Ronanz didn`t had any other fueling method on his car, only relying on the stock fueling system, leaving the DI table untouched, it`s just a flaw. And in his case, lead to a 15ish AFR vehicle with some mild boost in his PS2... Glad that this engine is strong as it is ... Doing this mistake into any MPFI vehicle would mean melted internals, in Ronanz case was only the plugs acting like a fuse, and the fuse was blown...

So about ACF`s position, we can be as technical as you would like but will not enter in keyboard fights and endless discussions about who is better than who, we won`t polute Ronanz thread anymore so if you would like to get more info just PM me and i would be glad to answer everyones technical doubts or just use the topic created by Alex in this board that should be used for that purpose).

And just answering your other question, i don`t think that we have pickedup a lot of horsepower since at 18 psi level the PS2 is just starting to show it`s airflow capabilities. We have dynoed other car with just a PS2, colombian finest 85 oct fuel (simulating the 91 Oct), and a kittyless downpipe and it gave us 410whp... 440whp when fuel was mixed with torco aditives to raise from 85 to 93 Oct theoretically.

[IMG]https://s14.postimg.org/tfo3g3y01/PS2_x_OEM.jpg[/IMG]

The stock fueling will be maxed out around the 430-460whp depending on how much Ethanol you have mixxed and the quality of your fuel.

Any other question, you already know! PM me (or alex) or go to the flashtune troubleshoot topic.

Other than that i`m just happy that we could achieve Ronanz expectation and that i had the oportunity to meet such a great guy. So far the most incredible looking BMW i`ve ever seen.

Best,
Ricardo Freitas
ACFPerformance
Thanks Ricardo, appreciate the detailed reply!

Yes I agree, it's definitely best to let the numbers do the talking

And yes Ronanz's car certainly is stunning! I've had the pleasure to see it in person and those blue cf pieces are gorgeous

2015 SO M3 6MT

2015 BSM M235xi
Appreciate 3
FSociety3812.50
Jadar1752.50
ronanz1819.50
      11-07-2016, 05:22 PM   #364
ronanz
Gettin It Figured Out
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks Ricardo, appreciate the detailed reply!

Yes I agree, it's definitely best to let the numbers do the talking

And yes Ronanz's car certainly is stunning! I've had the pleasure to see it in person and those blue cf pieces are gorgeous

Thanks! . Looks nicer now with the new front lip and CF Steering wheel tho

Appreciate 0
      11-07-2016, 05:40 PM   #365
ronanz
Gettin It Figured Out
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricardo@ACFPerformance View Post

Best,
Ricardo Freitas
ACFPerformance

. Thanks stud....

I'm sure you've seen nicer....

Appreciate 0
      11-08-2016, 09:08 AM   #366
obriennathaniel
@obriennathaniel_f30 on Instagram
United_States
Rep
Drives: 582whp/596wtq '13 335i

Quote:
Yeah been reading through some of his threads. But they don't call it Mod-Hell for nothing !
lol yeah, hopefully I hear some good news from ABR here soon on my car.

CG Precision VS-1 Exhaust\DR-1 DownPipe | PS2 Turbo\Inlet | PDU PI w/Fuel-it platinum kit & E sensor | GFB DV+ Diverter Valve | BM3 w/AIC2-V|Tune CaryTheLabelGuy | Full E85 | ATM FMIC | ER Chargepipe Inlet/Outlet | AFE Intake | BC Coilovers | PSS 255/40-275/35 Velos Designwerks S3 two piece 19x9/19x10 | Osram Xenarc | LED retro | AWRON digital AC gauge|
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2016, 02:54 PM   #367
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi S3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by obriennathaniel View Post
Quote:
lol yeah, hopefully I hear some good news from ABR here soon on my car.
Any clue which module yet?
      11-08-2016, 03:13 PM   #368
obriennathaniel
@obriennathaniel_f30 on Instagram
United_States
Rep
Drives: 582whp/596wtq '13 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dejan_ View Post
Nope, waiting for him to reply to my email. She's running now, but all i know is I need a new fuel rail pressure sensor. I could call but I don't want to bother them. its not like I can pick her up today anyways.

CG Precision VS-1 Exhaust\DR-1 DownPipe | PS2 Turbo\Inlet | PDU PI w/Fuel-it platinum kit & E sensor | GFB DV+ Diverter Valve | BM3 w/AIC2-V|Tune CaryTheLabelGuy | Full E85 | ATM FMIC | ER Chargepipe Inlet/Outlet | AFE Intake | BC Coilovers | PSS 255/40-275/35 Velos Designwerks S3 two piece 19x9/19x10 | Osram Xenarc | LED retro | AWRON digital AC gauge|
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2016, 06:29 PM   #369
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dejan_ View Post
Nope, waiting for him to reply to my email. She's running now, but all i know is I need a new fuel rail pressure sensor. I could call but I don't want to bother them. its not like I can pick her up today anyways.
It's come some way at least, running wise. Then it's bm3 time!
      11-09-2016, 09:07 PM   #370
zinner
Major
Rep
Drives: `17 X5 35d/`15 335i/`18 M550IX

hey guys the N55 likes to run lean :-D

Last edited by zinner; 11-09-2016 at 09:49 PM..
Appreciate 2
      11-10-2016, 05:10 AM   #371
CIWS
Moon Parasite
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Well that's good to hear it might be down to a sensor now. (fingers crossed)

Appreciate 0
      11-10-2016, 09:18 AM   #372
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by zinner View Post
hey guys the N55 likes to run lean :-D
Yes on a stock map that runs 8psi. But the man is running a stage 2 turbo and a custom flash. You tune for a big turbo you need that a/f 12.5.