F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N20, N26, B46, B48 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Turbo Lag
ARMA SPEED

06-20-2013, 11:26 PM   #45
Teemo Panda
*Bimmerpost Plasti Dip Guru*
United_States
Rep
Drives: E53, E46-M3, E70, F25-X3

Garage List
2013 BMW X3  [5.66]
Someone Forgot about the Sport Button~
      06-21-2013, 07:42 AM   #46
n55x3
Captain
Rep
Drives: n55 BMWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longwong View Post
dude you always say this and make your 328 to be an M3 killer with m3 throttle response. It is impossible for there not to be turbo lag. It does not vary between people or cars. The physics of making boost with a turbo dictates a period of lag where exhaust gases need to flow and spin the turbo until power is made. Especially from a standstill or really low speeds. There is no way around this.

I am not sure why you are giving people information like this. Turbo lag is one of the HUGE downsides to turbo cars. You really can't have everything and nothing is truly free. It seems too good to be true to take a small engine and add turbo and make it feel like a v8, better on gas and make tons of torque relatively speaking but the cost to especially performance cars is the lag in throttle response. Anyone who has had a bmw non-turbo inline 6 or M V8/10 knows what lagless response is and it is not the 328
While I agree with the fact that all turbo cars have lag I do feel that saying 'It does not vary between people or cars' is a bit misleading. Turbo lag varies extensively between various cars. BMW has done a great job creating boosted motors that have a very linear power delivery. I also think that moving forward the implementation of smaller electric turbos that spool instantly will further reduce lag.

I come from a Subaru background and if you want to know what real turbo lag is just go drive a turbo Subaru. They are dead until over 3k rpms when the turbo really comes alive. Driving my 335i erases almost all feel of lag BUT if I hop in a C63, for example, then back into my 335i I am instantly reminded of lag. I really think it is all relative. At this point I'll happily take a tiny bit of performance hit (lag) in my 335i while achieving 33+ MPG.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2013, 09:16 AM   #47
Jamesons Viggen
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '98 M Roadster stg 2+ S/C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longwong View Post
dude you always say this and make your 328 to be an M3 killer with m3 throttle response. It is impossible for there not to be turbo lag. It does not vary between people or cars. The physics of making boost with a turbo dictates a period of lag where exhaust gases need to flow and spin the turbo until power is made. Especially from a standstill or really low speeds. There is no way around this.

I am not sure why you are giving people information like this. Turbo lag is one of the HUGE downsides to turbo cars. You really can't have everything and nothing is truly free. It seems too good to be true to take a small engine and add turbo and make it feel like a v8, better on gas and make tons of torque relatively speaking but the cost to especially performance cars is the lag in throttle response. Anyone who has had a bmw non-turbo inline 6 or M V8/10 knows what lagless response is and it is not the 328
First, take a deep breath.

Second, guy asked if people are having the same "problem", I replied NOPE-which is what you quoted.

Next do not lecture me on turbo cars or accuse me of making my car out to be an M3 killer.

I am one of a few people here who have done a bunch of dyno pulls. When I did my runs they just had an e46 M3 on the dyno and the amount of torque the n20 put down at the rpm it did highlights the value of the twin scroll. 1250 rpm for peak tq.

In general I agree, especially in my Saab days where you wait for 2500rpms before boost really kicks in. An M3 is so responsive due to throttle mappings and things like itb's which give it that instant response...an M car is tuned that way. Its not an automatic that a turbo engine has to be laggy.

Last edited by Jamesons Viggen; 06-21-2013 at 11:06 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2013, 09:47 AM   #48
addm
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i xdrive sportline

I have been following this thread for some time and here is what I feel about the turbo lag in N20
1. There is some lag in Normal mode and very much prominent in Ecodrive mode. But part of the reason is transmission hesitancy to downshift in these modes, l
Even a NA engine will feel quite laggy (or lethargic) with these new transmissions in ecodrive mode.

2. In sport mode, lag is avoided because transmission always tries to keep the engine revs at around 2000-25000 rpm. Now N20 engine starts producing good torque at around 1250 rpm, engine at 2000 rpm will always be in sweet spot with optimum boost.

3. Now awesome thing about N20 is ability to produce high torque at such low rpm probably because of twin scroll Tubro and other tricks.
If you look at other high performance Turbo machines such as Mitsubishi Evo, they have to rev at much higher rpm even at normal cruising to circumvent turbo lag.

4. It is true that turbo lag will always be there at low rpm , but if you can reduce it down it to less than 700 rpm ( which may be possible with small electric turbo in near future ) than it is eliminated in real life scenarios.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2013, 04:38 PM   #49
David328M-Sport
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: F30 M-Sport 328i Estoril Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by addm View Post
I have been following this thread for some time and here is what I feel about the turbo lag in N20
1. There is some lag in Normal mode and very much prominent in Ecodrive mode. But part of the reason is transmission hesitancy to downshift in these modes, l
Even a NA engine will feel quite laggy (or lethargic) with these new transmissions in ecodrive mode.
My 6AT E90 325i also 'suffered' from tranny lag. Not so much after I installed the BMS PowerBox, but the so called lag was very evident. I would stomp on the accelerator, watch the rev meter spin clockwise and then feel the gear change and off the car went.

Much, much less lag (tranny and/or turbo) in my F30.
328i M-Sport, Estoril Blue, Carbon XP 35 Tint, front heated seats, black Dakota, Sports Suspension, Anthracite Headliner, HUD, Pro Nav, Sunroof, hk 600w, Bi-Xenon, 19" 403M wheels, Reversing Camera, DAB+, Xenon, BT Ext Connect, MST turbo intake pipe, MST Cold Air Intake, JB4 on Map 2 with Catless DP produces awesome performance in Sport.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2013, 04:42 PM   #50
ScarecrowBoat
Zooombie attaaack!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesons Viggen View Post
With peak torque at 1250rpms, just a bit off of idle, I find with the 6mt that the lag is about as minimal as it can be.

I came from years of owning modified Saabs, familiar with turbo lag lol. The N20 is fairly well regarded in the press for being nearly lag free.
Now, that's not fair. You have to blip the throttle and the turbos are probably spooled by the time you're letting out the clutch. I have an 8spd Auto and it has noticeable lag, but really only off the line or if you floor it in 6/7/8 gear at <2000 RPM. If you're in the right gear it's virtually imperceptible.

If you brake boost even a tiny bit it will eliminate lag off the line. Small price to pay for lots more torque and MPG.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2013, 01:49 AM   #51
kosherthunder
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 328i Sport Line

Turgo/Lag

I have noticed this on my car too. Not the initial turbo lag at take off, but whenever I am accelerating in general. It almost seems as though my transmission is searching for the gears sometimes. I will literally be accelerating at passing the 20./25 mark and i have to force the pedal down even further to get the acceleration going thus pushing the car into the next gear. It's not only annoying, but it's paintful on the foot and dangerous when trying to merge or pass someone.

I've taken my car to the dealer 6 times now, they always say the same thing "we couldnt find any error codes and the shop foreman drove the car and nothing seems wrong". The thing that drives me nuts is that every loaner I get is smooth and powerful with no hesitation like what i described above.

I have a normal non auto sport, with the sport line aesthetics. I don't know if it's because these rims are heavier than the standard 17' aluminums causing the delay in push or what. The dealer actually told me it's because "these are 4 cylinder cars and they are slow" The dumbest thing I have ever heard someone say about a sport car that is quoted at 240 hp and 255lbs of torque.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2013, 09:24 PM   #52
AMJAM
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2013 Alpine 328I MSport

I have noticed on my previous F10 and now my F30 there is lag but it has nothing to do with turbo or engines. It is the fly by wire accelerator. In the old days cars used a throttle cable directly to the engine from the accelerator pedal.

Now we are stuck with electronic wizardry to do this. What has come with this is a delay between hitting the gas and the car responding. The F30 is much better than the F10. The worst I have experienced is in the Land Rover discovery. It was dangerous in that car.

These accelerator modules work by eradicating this delay.