F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance and TSBs: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / TSBs and Service Bulletin > First Oil Change
Studio RSR

08-26-2014, 10:37 PM   #23
m6pwr
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '14 335i M sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by jewels View Post
You could also post your uoa on BITOG and solicit comments from some of the more experienced members, particularly Doug Hillary.

Just curious, do you have the ZF 8 speed automatic? In Comfort mode the ZF likes to run low rpms a lot of the time (not lugging but presumably with relatively high pressures in the cylinders pushing the rings against the cylinder walls), almost like a diesel, and I have seen uoa's on BMW diesels with characteristically high iron.
Yes, it is the ZF but does not spend a lot of time in comfort.
I am by the book with constantly varying RPM and not over 5K till 1.2 K miles.

What is "BITOG" please?[/QUOTE]

BITOG = Bob Is The Oil Guy http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/. There's a subforum devoted to oil analysis reports.

I think there's something like 45,000+ members on the forum from all over the world. They range from folks like the guy who disdains uoa's in favor of tasting a sample of oil from his car's dipstick to know when to change it - - like a sommelier sipping from his tastevin. At the other end of the spectrum there are several very knowledgeable people who actually make their living with oil companies as chemists, tribologists, and lubrication engineers. One of the latter is Doug Hillary. He's retired now but he spent decades in Europe working for Castrol and Exxon/Mobil, and in that capacity has teamed with engineers from BMW, Porsche, and Mercedes in developing their lubrication programs. He's seen it and done it all. He doesn't post as often as he used to, but he still seems to monitor the forum. If you post your uoa, ask him to comment. Others with similar creds are Jim Allen, Tom NJ, and Molakule

'14 328d, '13 M3 ZCP, '12 535i, '11 335d, '09 Z4 DINAN Stage II, '05 330i ZHP, '05 M3 ZCP, '02 M3, '91 328i, '90 535i, '88 528e, '88 M5, '87 M6, '95 Z3, 95 M3, '93 M5, '87 325e, '89 535i, '86 635i, '73 Bavaria.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2015, 09:52 AM   #24
Mauricio Palacios. MD
Stark und Frei
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW F32 435i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by jewels View Post
Here are the final results of my first oil change Attachment 1081747

As I suspected by the amount of Iron in this report, 10K is WAY too long to go before the first oil change.

As you can see by the comments, there are small other issues that are not enough to address.

My point BMW is not being realistic with at least there first recommended mileage intervals on oil changes.

Choose your own explanation for this, $$$ on there oil change ???

I will report back on the next one.
Hello friend. I am now at about 1865 miles on my new 435i and I'm thinking about the first oil change… Do you have any other experience with your car? Do you track it any time? Do you recommend change the oil at dealers workshop, since I have no experience in mechanics? Thank you very much for your help and comments.
Appreciate 0