F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Selling American Muscle in Germany?
ARMA SPEED

03-31-2014, 12:58 PM   #1
imyopusha
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2015 M5 CP in Singapore Gray

Selling American Muscle in Germany?

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Gruess Gott!

I am moving to Germany in a month (military). I am faced with a couple decisions. Do I sell or keep my '12 SRT8? I've decided to sell. So, I can either sell here or in Germany. I received an offer for about a grand shy of my target price. However, I heard in Germany people will pay big bucks for an SRT8 (or American Muscle in general). Being in Germany, I will have the opportunity to buy any German car at a massive discount- including Porsche. So, I've decided I will buy a Porsche Macan while over there.

Does anyone have any experience selling a higher end American muscle car in Europe? Should I curb my expectations and sell here at a minimum loss or roll the dice in Germany? The later sounds like a high-risk, high-reward option. Again, if you have experience in this sort of thing- I'd love to hear. For reference, I am looking at about $1,100 to ship to Germany and I do not have to pay import taxes, etc. once there

... mit tiefer Dankbarkeit
2012 335i (SOLD)
Instagram- AY_M3 My ED thread: http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1176511
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2014, 01:37 PM   #2
daberlin
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i EBII MPPK/BBK

Garage List
Hi. I was duty stationed in the UK for three years from '99-'01. I brought a left hand drive US spec car with me and could have easily sold it for a profit. As a matter of fact, go buy a Harley Davidson before you leave as motorcycles unlike cars are shipped under your personal effects allowance. You'll make a killing.

But to your question, is it worth doing for your car? Yes, because you could drive it there vice buying a local car, and then sell before you leave. Certain US cars, Mustangs, Corvettes, etc. sell much better than your ride, but eh, who cares. There is absolutely a market for ALL US muscle cars in Europe.

Only caution is the process to get a proper German MOT (or whatever they call it) which will be necessary for you to sell it to a local. The car will require a single rear fog light and euro spec headlights even for you to be able to drive it. However, there are additional tests that will be required before you'll be able to sell it. My advice is to prep the car and conduct the process to sell. And if the price isn't great, just keep it and bring it home.

PS - I've purchased three cars under the diplomatic and military sales program. It's awesome.

Good luck.

David
Appreciate 0