F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > M Performance Brake Install Hardware Question
proTUNING Freaks

11-20-2019, 10:25 AM   #1
deepghosh
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 BMW 335i

M Performance Brake Install Hardware Question

Getting ready to install my MPBBK and had some questions about the hardware included in the kit. Am I supposed to reuse the caliper mounting bolts from my existing brakes? The hardware included with the kit had 8 large bolts - 4 hex head (probly 16mm) and 4 longer torx head that fit in a 14mm socket. Then a bunch of other smaller hex bolts. I believe the existing bolts are 17mm and 14mm right? Anyone know what these are all used for? If I reuse my existing mounting hardware I don't see the need for any of these supplied bolts

Sorry in advance for the giant pictures

11-20-2019, 04:48 PM   #2
sgimips
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 540d

According to the TIS you're supposed to replace the caliper bolts with new ones if they are removed.

I can't find the information for the brake guard plate bolts but I'd just use the new ones since they are provided, assuming you have to replace the brake guard plates. (Both had to be replaced on my 328d but it had tiny stock rotors of course.) Hopefully you don't have to replace the rear guard plate on your car, it is a bit more involved if you do:

https://rparts-sites.s3.amazonaws.co...Perf%20BBK.pdf

Personally I'd just use all the new hardware anyway, since it's provided.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2019, 04:57 PM   #3
deepghosh
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgimips View Post
According to the TIS you're supposed to replace the caliper bolts with new ones if they are removed.

I can't find the information for the brake guard plate bolts but I'd just use the new ones since they are provided, assuming you have to replace the brake guard plates. (Both had to be replaced on my 328d but it had tiny stock rotors of course.) Hopefully you don't have to replace the rear guard plate on your car, it is a bit more involved if you do:

https://rparts-sites.s3.amazonaws.co...Perf%20BBK.pdf

Personally I'd just use all the new hardware anyway, since it's provided.
Thanks for that... I don't need to switch out front or rear brake guards thankfully... The hardware in my kit does not match up to the document you posted. I don't see any torx bolts in the document parts list. I only received 4 caliper hex bolts it seems like. I guess I'll email the vendor and see what's up
      11-20-2019, 05:34 PM   #4
sgimips
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepghosh View Post
Thanks for that... I don't need to switch out front or rear brake guards thankfully... The hardware in my kit does not match up to the document you posted. I don't see any torx bolts in the document parts list. I only received 4 caliper hex bolts it seems like. I guess I'll email the vendor and see what's up
It looks to me like you have all the right bolts. Certainly the same ones my kit came with. All the smaller ones are for the guard plates. (8x I and 8x P)

The 4 inverse torx bolts with the built-in washer (D) should be for the front calipers. The regular large bolts (N) should be for the rears.

The document illustrations don't match the physical bolts.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2019, 05:39 PM   #5
deepghosh
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
It looks to me like you have all the right bolts. Certainly the same ones my kit came with. All the smaller ones are for the guard plates. (8x I and 8x P)

The 4 inverse torx bolts with the built-in washer (D) should be for the front calipers. The regular large bolts (N) should be for the rears.

The document illustrations don't match the physical bolts.
The front calipers are mounted with 18mm hex bolts... are you saying that these E14 (I think) will be replacing those? As for the smaller bolts... there are three different types of bolts wouldn't they have three different indications in the install document (8x I, 4x P, 4x whatever the other small black one is)?
      11-20-2019, 05:52 PM   #6
sgimips
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The front calipers are mounted with 18mm hex bolts... are you saying that these E14 (I think) will be replacing those? As for the smaller bolts... there are three different types of bolts wouldn't they have three different indications in the install document (8x I, 4x P, 4x whatever the other small black one is)?
They look correct to me in your photos and I remember the guide's parts list was misleading in terms of the bolts, especially for the brake guards. I ended up looking up the diagrams on RealOEM and matched the bolts to that. Your kit should have all the bolts listed except for the rotor set screw (#11 in the below diagrams) and it looks like it does in your photos.

According to RealOEM the caliper bolts should be the same (PN 34106864424) for the fronts. The bolts for the rear calipers are unique to the M Performance kit.

Front M Performance:
https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=03_0104

Front Standard:
https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=34_2353

Rear M Performance:
https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=03_0103
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2019, 05:59 PM   #7
deepghosh
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
They look correct to me in your photos and I remember the guide's parts list was misleading in terms of the bolts, especially for the brake guards. I ended up looking up the diagrams on RealOEM and matched the bolts to that. Your kit should have all the bolts listed except for the rotor set screw (#11 in the below diagrams) and it looks like it does in your photos.

According to RealOEM the caliper bolts should be the same (PN 34106864424) for the fronts. The bolts for the rear calipers are unique to the M Performance kit.

Front M Performance:
https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=03_0104

Front Standard:
https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=34_2353

Rear M Performance:
https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=03_0103
Thanks for that! Yeah looks like the Torx bolts supersede the 18mm hex bolts, and the rear dust shields use two different types of bolts. Appreciate the response, all makes sense now
      11-20-2019, 06:08 PM   #8
sgimips
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for that! Yeah looks like the Torx bolts supersede the 18mm hex bolts, and the rear dust shields use two different types of bolts. Appreciate the response, all makes sense now
Glad to help! Makes sense if there was a revision, my car is a 2018 and so it probably came with the newer bolts.

Enjoy the kit! It made a huge difference on my car.

Also, you do know there's coding that should be done right? It probably would make less of a difference on your 335i since the stock brakes are fairly large. It was very noticeable on my 328d. There's some posts about it and mixed reviews about how necessary coding is, but again I think most people are doing this kit on 335i and 340i where the stock brakes are already pretty large.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2019, 06:11 PM   #9
deepghosh
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Glad to help! Makes sense if there was a revision, my car is a 2018 and so it probably came with the newer bolts.

Enjoy the kit! It made a huge difference on my car.

Also, you do know there's coding that should be done right? It probably would make less of a difference on your 335i since the stock brakes are fairly large. It was very noticeable on my 328d. There's some posts about it and mixed reviews about how necessary coding is, but again I think most people are doing this kit on 335i and 340i where the stock brakes are already pretty large.
Yeah I plan on VO coding for the larger brakes. Will only take a couple minutes, might as well do it.

Thanks again for the help!