F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Mounting Depth
ARMA SPEED

10-17-2014, 02:13 PM   #1
balken01
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 2013 328i HiFi

Mounting Depth

I have been searching for existing threads on mounting depth in the F30 doors, and I was struggling to find clear guidance. Does anyone know the exact depth available in the doors. I currently, have a hifi 2013 328i.

Also, any recommendations other than BSW? I've spotted the CDT speakers and Focal's, but I wasn't sure if there was a better choice.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2014, 02:24 PM   #2
CAF10
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10

The mounting depth for F30 is around 30mm. Unless you use an extension/spacer or buy speakers specifically designed for F30, regular 4" aftermarket speaker will not fit. I have a two piece extended adapter in the classified section of this forum and it will allow mounting of aftermarket 4" speaker with around 50mm mounting depth in F30/31/32.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-19-2014, 07:05 AM   #3
JOE YOUNG
SEAL TEAM SIX
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E46 E90 E84 F30 X3G01 LCI

Smile

I'm pretty sure I've read somewhere in the forum before. Somebody measured it door to glass 41mm front and a little bit more at the back. F30 has more depth up front than 4 series.

I am using Rainbow C 4.2 BMW-F comp on mine. Very good quality speakers made in Germany. Focals IFBMW-S are good as well. I have been in contact with focal and they say although these speakers are designed for previous gen models, they will fit F30s. They are about the same price as the Rainbow ones.

At the moment my speakers are only powered by JBL MS-8. They already sound good but will add amp soon and change underseats speakers.
      10-20-2014, 06:22 PM   #4
kingmonkey8
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 428i

I have a 4 Series and have installed the Focal IFBMW-S without any issue. I did need a 1/4 inch adapter that I got from www.car-speaker-adapters.com.
There's a couple of photos that they have uploaded from my install.
There is a spring clip on the electric window regulator that I bent back slightly to give it more clearance but apart from that no issues with opening and closing the windows.
For reference the Focal IFBMW-S have a mounting depth of 45mm with the 1/4 inch (6mm) adapter gave a mounting depth of roughly 39mm. The adapter gave a about 5mm clearance from the door card so no issues with the driver hitting the grille. Almost a perfect fit without having to make any modifications.

Last edited by kingmonkey8; 10-20-2014 at 06:32 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2014, 09:51 AM   #5
mightycrown
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: f31 320d black sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingmonkey8 View Post
I have a 4 Series and have installed the Focal IFBMW-S without any issue. I did need a 1/4 inch adapter that I got from www.car-speaker-adapters.com.
There's a couple of photos that they have uploaded from my install.
There is a spring clip on the electric window regulator that I bent back slightly to give it more clearance but apart from that no issues with opening and closing the windows.
For reference the Focal IFBMW-S have a mounting depth of 45mm with the 1/4 inch (6mm) adapter gave a mounting depth of roughly 39mm. The adapter gave a about 5mm clearance from the door card so no issues with the driver hitting the grille. Almost a perfect fit without having to make any modifications.
this place you are referring is very very unreliable! I order 2 sets! they never sent them, and reply to emails. eventually I got refund from Paypal!
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2014, 12:24 PM   #6
kingmonkey8
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightycrown View Post
this place you are referring is very very unreliable! I order 2 sets! they never sent them, and reply to emails. eventually I got refund from Paypal!
All I can say is I didn't have any problems with them. I dealt with a guy called Michael McGinnis, I emailed them telling them what I was looking to install and he told me which adapter people have been using for the F30's.
The adapters arrived within 2 weeks, I'm based in the UK.
About a week after I did the install, they emailed me to see how the install went, so I emailed him some photos, which he asked if I could use on their website and refunded me half of the cost of the adapters.
I was struggling to find a set of adapters, I had already bought the speakers and tried to install them, but the windows wouldn't close properly. There wasn't any info on the web for an F32, I bought some metal ones off ebay which were slimmer which wouldn't have worked. I was also considering the Focal VRS 100's slim but they were discontinued and I wanted them PnP. I didn't know if they were going to fit but am glad to be able to install without issue.

Last edited by kingmonkey8; 10-21-2014 at 12:34 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2014, 05:55 PM   #7
mightycrown
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
All I can say is I didn't have any problems with them. I dealt with a guy called Michael McGinnis, I emailed them telling them what I was looking to install and he told me which adapter people have been using for the F30's.
The adapters arrived within 2 weeks, I'm based in the UK.
About a week after I did the install, they emailed me to see how the install went, so I emailed him some photos, which he asked if I could use on their website and refunded me half of the cost of the adapters.
I was struggling to find a set of adapters, I had already bought the speakers and tried to install them, but the windows wouldn't close properly. There wasn't any info on the web for an F32, I bought some metal ones off ebay which were slimmer which wouldn't have worked. I was also considering the Focal VRS 100's slim but they were discontinued and I wanted them PnP. I didn't know if they were going to fit but am glad to be able to install without issue.
lucky you! The guy I emailed was him as well! but I dont understand why he didnt send the product or reply my emails. It looked like he was vanished. I dont think I will ever consider them again although their price is very good.
I bought mine in the UK on Ebay. Search for f30 speaker adapter, you will get an aluminium adapter by Bassbrothers. 20 gbp per pair and free shipping. very satisfied. but for some applications, a spacer might be required to avoid hitting window.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2014, 06:34 PM   #8
kingmonkey8
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightycrown View Post
lucky you! The guy I emailed was him as well! but I dont understand why he didnt send the product or reply my emails. It looked like he was vanished. I dont think I will ever consider them again although their price is very good.
I bought mine in the UK on Ebay. Search for f30 speaker adapter, you will get an aluminium adapter by Bassbrothers. 20 gbp per pair and free shipping. very satisfied. but for some applications, a spacer might be required to avoid hitting window.
I got those as well, lol. Which are very nice but wouldn't have worked in my application without additional spacers. I think they were designed more for the E92 but have seen them used in the F30 with the Focal KRS 100 slim's.
IDK, maybe he wanted to add the F32 to his website. I sent him the photo's and he automatically refunded me. I didn't ask for it. The adapters were $9.99 but the postage was about $18.
What speakers did you install?
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2014, 05:24 AM   #9
mightycrown
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I got those as well, lol. Which are very nice but wouldn't have worked in my application without additional spacers. I think they were designed more for the E92 but have seen them used in the F30 with the Focal KRS 100 slim's.
IDK, maybe he wanted to add the F32 to his website. I sent him the photo's and he automatically refunded me. I didn't ask for it. The adapters were $9.99 but the postage was about $18.
What speakers did you install?
I was really mad that he didn't send them. cause I was relying on them and waiting to install my speakers for nearly a month. Anyway, I have a f31 so it is probably different than your F32. I used Focal K2 100KRS component set. I did add a 5mm spacer to ensure that it wont hit the window. The rear doors are better in terms of installation depth. I added 5mm spacer as well since the Rainbow dreamline mids has 49mm mounting depth.
BTW, I got rainbow intelligent line underseat woofer for mid bass. Helix PP 82 DSP as AMP. What is your setup? looking to install two 8 inch subs later in the storage compartment under the boot floor, and a extra amp to power them. But I am very happy so far since the car came with the standard 6 speakers!!
Appreciate 0