F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior & interior) > Windshield film vs. rain sensor
Extreme Powerhouse

06-08-2014, 11:20 AM   #1
ipilcher
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 M3 Compensation

Windshield film vs. rain sensor

I am considering having 3M CR90 put on my windshield to help with the Texas heat, but I want to be sure that it won't interfere with the rain sensor for the intermittent wipers. Does anyone know where it is? I.e. is it right up agains the glass or does it hang down below?

Alternatively, does anyone know where I can find a diagram of the rear view mirror assembly?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2014, 07:15 PM   #2
nicholas1520
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i Luxury

You're tinting the inside aren't you? Now I've know people to tint the outside for what reason I don't know. I've got Llumar Airblue for my whole front windshield and I don't get any problems with the rain sensor. They'll cut around the rear view mirror. If you want, you'll find a diagram at http://realoem.com
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2014, 08:56 PM   #3
ipilcher
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholas1520 View Post
You're tinting the inside aren't you? Now I've know people to tint the outside for what reason I don't know. I've got Llumar Airblue for my whole front windshield and I don't get any problems with the rain sensor. They'll cut around the rear view mirror. If you want, you'll find a diagram at http://realoem.com
I've looked all over that site, and I can't find anything that shows the location of the rain sensor.

But yes, the film/tint will be on the inside, so I should be good if the sensor is right up there against the glass. If it's on the back of the mirror, however, it could be a problem.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2014, 09:23 PM   #4
Rocket135
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipilcher View Post
I've looked all over that site, and I can't find anything that shows the location of the rain sensor.

But yes, the film/tint will be on the inside, so I should be good if the sensor is right up there against the glass. If it's on the back of the mirror, however, it could be a problem.
Its on the part that is actually attached to the glass. They should just cut around it and it will work fine. If they remove the mirror and don't cut out around it then it could screw with the sensor.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2014, 10:02 PM   #5
ipilcher
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket135 View Post
Its on the part that is actually attached to the glass. They should just cut around it and it will work fine. If they remove the mirror and don't cut out around it then it could screw with the sensor.
Sounds like it'll be fine, as they definitely aren't planning on removing the mirror.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0