F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Variable Sport Steering (VSS): good, bad, indifferent…?
proTUNING Freaks

12-23-2015, 12:23 PM   #1
TodmordenLad
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Audi A4 Avant

Variable Sport Steering (VSS): good, bad, indifferent…?

I’m sure this has been well covered elsewhere but I couldn’t find any live threads so thought I’d start one.

VSS gets a bad press from all the journos, and I'm not sure why as it’s not THAT bad. I didn’t spec VSS on my F31 330D as I bought an ex-demonstrator, so I’ve no particular loyalty to VSS, one way or another. In Comfort mode, the steering can be a bit vague, becoming too artificially heavy when Sport is selected. I certainly wouldn’t have spec’d it if I were buying new, but I find it easy enough to live with, given the strength of the rest of the package.

The bigger issue lies in the fact that BMW took a step backwards when they abandoned hydraulic systems. The last decent steering was on my E61 530D, which was spot on.

So, if you have VSS on your F30/F31, how do you find it?
      12-23-2015, 12:33 PM   #2
dalto
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
I thought the changing of steering weight was part of the standard EPS.

I was under the impression that what VSS did was change the steering ratio.

Is that not the case?
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2015, 12:37 PM   #3
crono06
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i and 2018 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalto View Post

Is that not the case?
I believe you are correct. I don't have vss and the effort/weight changes with the different modes as well.

The vss gives you a dynamic ratio. As more lock is applied, it will require less input to get more turn in. Without vss, you will have a linear ratio.
Appreciate 1
      12-23-2015, 12:39 PM   #4
TodmordenLad
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

You may well be right. The VSS requires very few turns of the wheel. However, I haven't driven an F30/F31 without it so cant compare
      12-23-2015, 01:04 PM   #5
chiefneil
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M-Sport

VSS has nothing to do with steering weight or feel. I have it and don't really like, but it's not a huge pain just something I'd rather not have.

To illustrate my issue with VSS, take a hard right turn (left turn in the UK) really fast like at 8/10ths or higher. Bomb fast into the turn in a straight line, brake hard and late for a late apex, then turn smartly for the apex in a single motion. You'll find yourself oversteering unless you consciously slow down the turning motion while mentally tracking the steering wheel and your heading very closely. In a car without VSS, you do those types of corners instinctively and naturally.

If you don't ever hit hard right turns like that, then VSS won't bother you at all and you'll probably like it a lot for the increased turning ratio in parking lots. I'm just a little bit of a delinquent sometimes, I guess.
Appreciate 3
      12-23-2015, 01:11 PM   #6
hollandog
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [9.00]
To be honest I don't feel any dramatic difference between my 340i with VSS and 328i w/o VSS.

At low speed I don't need to turn the wheel as much for the U or 90 degree turns and that's about it.
Appreciate 2
      12-23-2015, 02:04 PM   #7
goj
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 EBII 340i 6-MT

I am under the impression that although the variably cut steering rack is not new, it is becoming more common on journalist test cars and on the market.

I get this feeling that journalists really hate change and that is more of a reason for criticism than anything. The steering is fine, both VSS and standard and am doesn't feel any different in regular driving.

I've driven my families e36, e46, e92, my F30 LCI, and my families F82 the steering of the last two doesn't make the F30 or F82 less fun to drive.
BMW CCA Member #516012
2016 340i, Estoril Blue, Manual Transmission, MPE, MPBBK, HRE FF04
Instagram: @brandons340i
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2015, 02:18 PM   #8
rjc32000
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335Xi M Sport 6MT

+1. This really highlights the problem with adaptive components on a performance vehicle. If I'm navigating a parking lot, VSS seems really great. On a track or other performance setting, VSS isn't so hot IMHO. When steering behaves differently depending on the speed I'm traveling, predictability is sacrificed. When I scream into a corner, I want my suspension and steering to operate the same as they do at all other times--predictably and consistently. I don't want the car to decide midway through a hotlap to adjust my steering ratio or suspension settings, because it alters the driving dynamics and makes the car less predictable/consistent.

Realize I might be in the minority here, but I wouldn't opt for either VSS or Adaptive suspension on my cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefneil View Post
VSS has nothing to do with steering weight or feel. I have it and don't really like, but it's not a huge pain just something I'd rather not have.

To illustrate my issue with VSS, take a hard right turn (left turn in the UK) really fast like at 8/10ths or higher. Bomb fast into the turn in a straight line, brake hard and late for a late apex, then turn smartly for the apex in a single motion. You'll find yourself oversteering unless you consciously slow down the turning motion while mentally tracking the steering wheel and your heading very closely. In a car without VSS, you do those types of corners instinctively and naturally.

If you don't ever hit hard right turns like that, then VSS won't bother you at all and you'll probably like it a lot for the increased turning ratio in parking lots. I'm just a little bit of a delinquent sometimes, I guess.
2013 328Xi M Sport - Glacier Silver - RETIRED
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2015, 03:12 PM   #9
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjc32000 View Post
+1. This really highlights the problem with adaptive components on a performance vehicle. If I'm navigating a parking lot, VSS seems really great. On a track or other performance setting, VSS isn't so hot IMHO. When steering behaves differently depending on the speed I'm traveling, predictability is sacrificed. When I scream into a corner, I want my suspension and steering to operate the same as they do at all other times--predictably and consistently. I don't want the car to decide midway through a hotlap to adjust my steering ratio or suspension settings, because it alters the driving dynamics and makes the car less predictable/consistent.

Realize I might be in the minority here, but I wouldn't opt for either VSS or Adaptive suspension on my cars.

You are OK then, with VSS, as it doesn't alter the ratio at random. It is mechanical and always doing exactly the same thing at a particular part of the rack. Any feeling of change with speed and/or in bends must be the servotronic and levels of assistance, not the rack.

I guess a lot of drivers have a 'mind map' that is used to a traditional steering rack. Find it hard to adapt mentally to a new steering response. Wonder how you'd get on with an M3 or M4 with their variable cut rack. Predictability is there, just different than what we may be used to.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 2
      12-23-2015, 04:38 PM   #10
AudiA4
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 G01 X3 M40i (Black/Black)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalto

Is that not the case?
That's what I always thought, BUT apparently VSS not only changes the variable turning rate mechanical gear (which I LOVE), but apparently it also VARIES the weight continuously, unlike non-VSS which just changes the weight to a fixed setting depending upon mode...though having owned it for a while, I don't notice the variability in weight.

Regardless, in answer to your question, I love VSS (the varying turning ratio aspect) and would absolutely order it again.

2014 F30 335i (EB) 6MT, M Sport, Premium, Tech, DHP, HK, CW, M Brakes, M Exhaust

2006 E90 330i (Silver) 6MT, Sport
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2015, 04:42 PM   #11
auf Deutsch
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 jackrabbit on crystal meth

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
2 turns lock-to-lock. Makes 3 point turns a breeze.
2017 BSM M2|6MT|Exec|black kidneys and gills|full alcantara wheel|CF spoiler|Dinan Stage 4|Dinan COI|Dinan free flow exhaust with resonator delete|Fabspeed sport cat DP|BMS clutch stop|465 bhp|4.75/5 stars

retired: 2014 435xi|MPPK|335 bhp|3/5 stars
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2015, 05:05 PM   #12
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudiA4 View Post
That's what I always thought, BUT apparently VSS not only changes the variable turning rate mechanical gear (which I LOVE), but apparently it also VARIES the weight continuously, unlike non-VSS which just changes the weight to a fixed setting depending upon mode...though having owned it for a while, I don't notice the variability in weight.

Regardless, in answer to your question, I love VSS (the varying turning ratio aspect) and would absolutely order it again.
EPS systems fitted to most F3x models have the servotronic function. Something like an F30 328i/335i (330i/340i) M-sport sold in the UK definitely have servotronic. I didn't think you guys in the US had the basic steering option, the standard rack without servotronic. The servotronic optioned EPS, like VSS, has variable assistance according to speed, irrespective of the modes selection.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2015, 05:17 PM   #13
rjc32000
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335Xi M Sport 6MT

Oh, that's interesting. I assumed VSS adjusted the ratio based on speed vehicle is traveling, or at least based on how far rack was turned (i.e., 1x turn of wheel = X degrees of tire turn, and 2x turn of wheel = > 2X degrees of tire turn).

I get what you are saying about consistency: VSS works the same every time because it is mechanical. But from the perspective of someone who expects (through years of experience) the steering wheel to turn the wheels the same regardless of my speed or how far I've already turned the wheel, VSS introduces a dynamic that I personally find it hard to get used to.

So I guess a better way to express my original opinion is that for me-having become accustomed to how car steering has traditionally operated-finds VSS a bit intrusive and thinks it makes the car less predictable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
You are OK then, with VSS, as it doesn't alter the ratio at random. It is mechanical and always doing exactly the same thing at a particular part of the rack. Any feeling of change with speed and/or in bends must be the servotronic and levels of assistance, not the rack.

I guess a lot of drivers have a 'mind map' that is used to a traditional steering rack. Find it hard to adapt mentally to a new steering response. Wonder how you'd get on with an M3 or M4 with their variable cut rack. Predictability is there, just different than what we may be used to.

HighlandPete
2013 328Xi M Sport - Glacier Silver - RETIRED
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2015, 05:33 PM   #14
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
So I guess a better way to express my original opinion is that for me-having become accustomed to how car steering has traditionally operated-finds VSS a bit intrusive and thinks it makes the car less predictable.
I totally understand what you are saying, it is a problem for some users. Although there is consistency (has to be it's mechanical) it's a different kind of predictability. I sense even test drivers (car mags) often comment negatively because they are not 'tuned' to the finer nuances in test drives. I've read that many adapt in a couple of days and never think about it again, unless they drive a car without and find them 'flat' dynamically by comparison.

Same happened with the active steering in the E9x and E6x models. Some users simply hated the way it worked, other drivers got it almost immediately and loved the more dynamic feel to the chassis.

I've just made a comment on another BMW forum, to a user who misses the active steering in his previous E60, I've encouraged him to test VSS, as he is thinking of getting into a F31.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2015, 12:25 AM   #15
ynguldyn
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: battery powered tv on wheels

Quote:
Oh, that's interesting. I assumed VSS adjusted the ratio based on speed vehicle is traveling, or at least based on how far rack was turned (i.e., 1x turn of wheel = X degrees of tire turn, and 2x turn of wheel = > 2X degrees of tire turn).
The part after "at least" is correct. However, it is very different from the first half of your sentence, which describes Active Steering optional in 5er and higher models.

I had AS in an X5, it would freak out everyone driving it irregularly. VSS in my current F31, on the other hand, is just fine. All it does is help turn quicker. The actual difference is not in VSS vs regular servotronic, but in the sport/comfort setting.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2015, 12:29 AM   #16
ynguldyn
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: battery powered tv on wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
Same happened with the active steering in the E9x and E6x models. Some users simply hated the way it worked, other drivers got it almost immediately and loved the more dynamic feel to the chassis.
E9x never had AS.
Quote:
I've just made a comment on another BMW forum, to a user who misses the active steering in his previous E60, I've encouraged him to test VSS, as he is thinking of getting into a F31.
VSS is nowhere close to the AS behavior. If someone wants AS (why?! why?!) they'll have to pay up to F0x, F1x, or G1x.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2015, 12:52 AM   #17
//M
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by ynguldyn View Post
E9x never had AS.
VSS is nowhere close to the AS behavior. If someone wants AS (why?! why?!) they'll have to pay up to F0x, F1x, or G1x.
Your wrong the E9x did have active steering at least in 2007.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2015, 01:34 AM   #18
TodmordenLad
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks to all of you for replying. As I suspected, some like it, some don't and some aren't bothered either way. More to the point, however, I now understand what VSS actually does - which I didn't before!
      12-24-2015, 03:25 AM   #19
SDH
Captain
Rep
Drives: .

Just to add a little to this, as I understand it the vss adds a variable ratio rack so if you were used to driving non vss then suddenly jumped into a vss equipped car you may well find less steering angle is required for the same corners you drive every day. However as stated above it is still a mechanical steering rack and pinion so the belt drive assist cant adjust ratio just assist levels.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2015, 03:35 AM   #20
Blubaron79
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i xDrive

I actually forgot that I had it. I have no complaints. It comes with the DHP right?

Previous: '18 340i xDrive; '15 335 xDrive; '14 435i xDrive; '09 335 E92 xDrive
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2015, 04:16 AM   #21
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
E9x never had AS.
E9x models in the UK certainly did have the active steering option, code 217. I was tempted to buy a 2008 335i wagon with it optioned. Remember we were also using EPS over here in Europe in some E9x models.

Quote:
It's not the same, but as near as you are going to get with least wheel movement per degree of steering angle mid position, and more wheel movement at greater steering angles. This is what users of AS say they miss, the ability to have turning ability with less steering wheel movement.

As a general note, VSS makes perfect sense and why the M-servotronic steering in the F8x M-cars have a variable tooth rack as standard.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2015, 09:37 AM   #22
chiefneil
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M-Sport

A while back I was reading up on VSS and found the info below. It sounds like the regular rack is also variable, just not to the same degree as VSS. I'd be curious to see how agressive the variable rack is in the M3/M4.

The info on the 100-degree steering wheel turn coincides with my observation that I'm most bothered by VSS on 90-degree right turns (only when driving fast and needing to turn the wheel quickly, not at normal speeds).

"On center, the standard steering is 15:1, the VSS 14.5:1. By the time the wheel has been turned 100 degrees (roughly the amount needed to turn at a typical intersection) the standard steering has quickened to 10.1:1, but the VSS has reduced to an ultra-quick 7.7:1."
Appreciate 0