F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Is this the car I'm looking for?
Studio RSR

02-28-2022, 08:53 PM   #1
BitsNBites
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i, 4Runner, Evo VIII

Is this the car I'm looking for?

Hi everyone. I recently sold my beloved Evo VIII. I mostly drag raced it. It ran a best of ~9.5 in the 1/4 making over 750hp to the wheels. With that out of the way, I'm looking for a new platform to build upon. I'm considering a 340i as my next project. I don't plan on racing it, but I would like a nice 500whp street car. Is the 340i capable of the task?

Here's complimentary pictures:
View post on imgur.com

Last edited by BitsNBites; 03-01-2022 at 04:37 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2022, 09:32 AM   #2
joeyb26
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i xDrive

A 340i will comfortably make 500 crank HP with a few bolt ons. If you're looking for 500 whp, you'll have to most likely look into upgrading the turbo
      03-01-2022, 10:11 AM   #3
hybrid90
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

Garage List
2021 BMW X3 M40i  [10.00]
I love the 340i because ti serves my purposes: big enough to take people with on long trips, still fun in the curves with very few mods (springs) and plenty of usable HP on tap which can be increased with only a few mods.

But if I wasn't worried about long trips with people in the back, I would honestly be looking at the M2 or M240i for the simple fact that they're just as easy to upgrade the power and with them being smaller/lighter, that 500WHP is going to be much more usable. And they're still big enough to be comfortable, even having a usable rear seat for small trips. This reason was exactly why I went from a E92 335is to an F30 340i: because I needed the room for longer trips since it's always my car that we take.

So without knowing exactly what your purposes are, it's all subjective. Just something to think about.
      03-01-2022, 04:44 PM   #4
BitsNBites
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyb26 View Post
A 340i will comfortably make 500 crank HP with a few bolt ons. If you're looking for 500 whp, you'll have to most likely look into upgrading the turbo
That's good to know. I don't have a problem swapping the turbo. I test drove a 340i and was very impressed with its 8 speed transmission. I think this could be a pretty comfortable 500whp platform.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hybrid90 View Post
I love the 340i because ti serves my purposes: big enough to take people with on long trips, still fun in the curves with very few mods (springs) and plenty of usable HP on tap which can be increased with only a few mods.

But if I wasn't worried about long trips with people in the back, I would honestly be looking at the M2 or M240i for the simple fact that they're just as easy to upgrade the power and with them being smaller/lighter, that 500WHP is going to be much more usable. And they're still big enough to be comfortable, even having a usable rear seat for small trips. This reason was exactly why I went from a E92 335is to an F30 340i: because I needed the room for longer trips since it's always my car that we take.

So without knowing exactly what your purposes are, it's all subjective. Just something to think about.
I never considered the M240i. I will look into this. Thank you for the suggestion.

In terms of power output, do both the M240i and 340i (non M) have the same potential considering the they both use the same engine, and the M240i engine is already M-tuned? I guess I'm just a little confused on the potential between the M240i, 340i, M340 considering they all use the same engine.

Last edited by BitsNBites; 03-01-2022 at 05:16 PM.. Reason: Clarity
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2022, 09:40 AM   #5
hybrid90
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by PegasusStarLord View Post
That's good to know. I don't have a problem swapping the turbo. I test drove a 340i and was very impressed with its 8 speed transmission. I think this could be a pretty comfortable 500whp platform.

I never considered the M240i. I will look into this. Thank you for the suggestion.

In terms of power output, do both the M240i and 340i (non M) have the same potential considering the they both use the same engine, and the M240i engine is already M-tuned? I guess I'm just a little confused on the potential between the M240i, 340i, M340 considering they all use the same engine.
I honestly could not tell you about the tuning on the M240i and the M340i. I do know they use the same engine, but I believe both of those have a slightly better tune, but considering it's the same engine and not a major tune, I would imagine that upgrading the power would not be much different. Kind of like when they dropped the N55 motor into the original M2. It was the same motor in the 335i, but more aggressively tuned.

I just know that you will notice the power increase much more in those cars than in the 340i becuase of the size/weight which is why I suggested them. usually the "M" designation on these cars (M240i/M340i) has more to do with other upgrades such as specific wheels, suspension components, aero kits, etc...

If I didn't have to worry about taking people with me on long trips, I would be looking at the First Gen M2 w/N55 motor. They don't have all the "M' bits like on the new M2's, but they are known to be more "raw" which is what I would be looking for in terms of "building".
      03-02-2022, 10:44 AM   #6
BitsNBites
Rep

Quote:
I honestly could not tell you about the tuning on the M240i and the M340i. I do know they use the same engine, but I believe both of those have a slightly better tune, but considering it's the same engine and not a major tune, I would imagine that upgrading the power would not be much different. Kind of like when they dropped the N55 motor into the original M2. It was the same motor in the 335i, but more aggressively tuned.

I just know that you will notice the power increase much more in those cars than in the 340i becuase of the size/weight which is why I suggested them. usually the "M" designation on these cars (M240i/M340i) has more to do with other upgrades such as specific wheels, suspension components, aero kits, etc...

If I didn't have to worry about taking people with me on long trips, I would be looking at the First Gen M2 w/N55 motor. They don't have all the "M' bits like on the new M2's, but they are known to be more "raw" which is what I would be looking for in terms of "building".
That's what I was assuming. There shouldn't be a difference in potential between the different variations of B58. Whatever power the 340xi comes with from factory isn't going to matter after FBO, slightly larger turbo, and tune.

I hear a lot of people say the 2-series is smaller and more fun to drive, but I love the sedan platform. They're generally more practical and comfortable to drive. My Mitsubishi was fast and uncomfortable, I'm over that now. Power came before comfort, this time I want comfort to come before power.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2022, 10:51 AM   #7
hybrid90
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by PegasusStarLord View Post
That's what I was assuming. There shouldn't be a difference in potential between the different variations of B58. Whatever power the 340xi comes with from factory isn't going to matter after FBO, slightly larger turbo, and tune.

I hear a lot of people say the 2-series is smaller and more fun to drive, but I love the sedan platform. They're generally more practical and comfortable to drive. My Mitsubishi was fast and uncomfortable, I'm over that now. Power came before comfort, this time I want comfort to come before power.
They are absolutely correct. The 2 Series is smaller. It's actually comparable to the E46 Coupe. At least that's what it felt like to me since I had an E46 and drove a 228i.

If you're looking at Comfort over Power, then you're in the exact position I'm in and the 340i would suit you perfect! Plus it makes it a perfect Sleeper. The Mustangs always get butt hurt when I can keep up with them in the straights and wipe the floor with them in the curves...
      03-02-2022, 10:54 AM   #8
BitsNBites
Rep

Quote:
They are absolutely correct. The 2 Series is smaller. It's actually comparable to the E46 Coupe. At least that's what it felt like to me since I had an E46 and drove a 228i.

If you're looking at Comfort over Power, then you're in the exact position I'm in and the 340i would suit you perfect! Plus it makes it a perfect Sleeper. The Mustangs always get butt hurt when I can keep up with them in the straights and wipe the floor with them in the curves...
Thank you for reassuring my decision and for all your help. Time to lurk the classifieds.
Appreciate 1
hybrid90245.50