F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Maintenance: Wash, Wax, Detailing, Repairs > F30 MSport dirty dusty brakes. Best cleaning method?
GetBMWParts

12-21-2012, 10:26 PM   #1
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: various BMW

F30 MSport dirty dusty brakes. Best cleaning method?

I'm coming from a long line of BMW's. Was thrilled when I got my 2010 E90 with its low dust brake pads. A dream for me. Lease returned that car last week.

Now I'm back to the old days of nasty dirty wheels. I recall staining t-shirt after t-shirt with brake dust splatter while cleaning wheels of previous cars.

So, before I embark on cleaning my new 403M wheels, any recommendations? Other than just suck it up and scrub 'em.

I'm looking for wheel brush recommendations that can help ease the process. Cleaning chemicals/soaps that work best, etc. Typically I used car wash soap then occasionally I would use P21s.

Thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2012, 02:37 PM   #2
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Not a single response?

I washed car for the first time today. Of the several BMW's I've owned the 403M wheels are by car the most difficult wheels to clean.

The lip of the wheel has a ledge and this ledge gets filthy. You'll likely need a soft toothbrush (or similar) to get the corners clean. Seriously. I cursed it until I got to the last wheel and stared to get a good rhythm going.

Time to find a toothbrush with a nice wide head and maybe a longer handle. Maybe one better designed for this purpose. Like this. http://www.amazon.com/Mothers-Detail...=pd_sim_auto_1

Time for some wheel wax too.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2013, 08:26 PM   #3
jamie335i
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i M sport 6MT

the m sport brakes are extra dusty. i feel like i drive 20 miles and the wheels are black!
      01-05-2013, 08:38 PM   #4
Who?
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: F87 LCI

sonax
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2013, 10:33 PM   #5
azzurro
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i M Sport

Sonax gets good reviews. I'm going to try it along with a couple of different size wheel brushs. The brake dust on the F30 is pretty incredible. I'm hoping it will get better after 1000-1200 miles.

I've been wiping them down every couple of days now...a pain.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2013, 10:46 PM   #6
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by azzurro View Post
Sonax gets good reviews. I'm going to try it along with a couple of different size wheel brushs. The brake dust on the F30 is pretty incredible. I'm hoping it will get better after 1000-1200 miles.

I got the Sonax cleaner along with Wheel Wax, Meguiars brake dust repellant and a couple new brushes from Mother's. Mother's makes a large toothbrush style brush that should be good for the lip and grooves on these machined wheels.

The 19's may be a nightmare to clean, but they sure hide brake dust better than the all silver painted wheels.

Will probably be another few days before I get around to cleaning and coating. Busy schedule.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2013, 01:59 PM   #7
Agamemnon
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 m3 ss2 zcp full leather

Quote:
Originally Posted by azzurro View Post

I'm in Canada and opted for the M sport brakes. Talk about dusty brakes - drive to the corner grocery store and back and the wheels are covered. I too hope they get better as they bed in. Sonax or P21S wheel cleaner is good if the brake dust is really stuck on.

I think the best solution is to get a good coat of wax on the wheels and clean them off weekly. The wax will help keep the brake dust from really sticking on. This is also very time consuming but if you want your car to look pristine like I do, I don't see any other option. I also know that if you leave the brake dust on your wheels for long periods of time, the finish on the wheels will really go downhill fast. I understand that the wheels are clearcoated.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2013, 02:18 PM   #8
buildbright
Major
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 MG

Sonax and a that wheel brush Autogeek calls the Daytona. Its a bottle brush on steriords. I bought mine from amazon and saved a bit.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2013, 09:31 PM   #9
azzurro
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i M Sport

I was just wondering if any of you know if Sonax might be available in some retail store rather than mail order? Pep Boy's, O'Reilly's, Walmart ??? Thanks
Appreciate 0