F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Recommended detailing forum or Tute.
Extreme Powerhouse

03-22-2024, 03:22 AM   #23
ABall
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i MSport Shadow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alscoob View Post
I'll have a look at mine tonight and take a pic or two with size & fittings to give you an idea.

How long does it last... well depends on how often you use it but quite a while, will get back with more info.

EDIT..... SW6Steve

So this is my de-ironised container. It has a screw top section so you can empty and change the resin. I connect the hose to the input side and a length of hose to the output with a trigger spray head and when not in use connect the small loop to both as the pic to stop evaporation.
Size is 87 so 8" dia x 17" high, capacity 11 litres

Attachment 3415096 Attachment 3415097

This is the resin I use comes in a 25 litre bag and will easily last me about 18-24 months easily depending on how much I use it. (sometimes in autumn / winter I don't use it as there is plenty of time to use the blower on its own).
I use the MB-151 resin as I'm in a hard water area, you can use the MB-115 resin if you are in a soft water area.

Note the blower really only works at it's best when the car is polished / waxed / or ceramic coated or other methods of forming beading, so it just runs off easily.

Attachment 3415098

You need to buy one of these too, it measures the total dissolved solids (TDS) in the water. https://www.waterfilterman.co.uk/wat...705707313.html

Quite interesting when you test the tap water and see how high the reading is, then test your de-ironised water and it reads Zero! So it is a way of monitoring the condition of your rinse water and helps you decide when to change the resin in the container.

Attachment 3415099

Many people sell these vessels but I believe Vyair are the most competitive.

If you decide to get one of these you must only use it as the last rinse to wash the contaminated water off the car. So wash the car as you would e.g. snow foam, rinse, 2 bucket wash method, rinse to remove all suds, any next steps like Samson Hydra https://sansom.co.uk/products/hydra
or other beading aids. Then a final rinse with the de-ironised water and you can then just leave it to dry naturally.

Hope that helps and give some info
Just purchased this so thanks for the info, decided to be lazy and let it dry on its own. https://www.mycarcleaning.co.uk/prod...saAqi9EALw_wcB
Appreciate 1
Alscoob2119.00
      03-22-2024, 04:39 AM   #24
Alscoob
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G31 540i M Sport Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABall View Post
I guess what I was saying was, will using a blower before it dries negate the need for treated water because I can get a Milwaukee M18 leaf blower for £114, there's also plenty of stubby noses on ebay for car drying, 3d printed of course but that saves a bunch of cash.
Leaf blowers can blow all sorts of crap at your paint as the air is not filtered. Bespoke car air blowers have filtered and heated air, so hepls dry quicker and allows only air to hit your paint.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2024, 10:31 AM   #25
ABall
Private
Rep

Quote:
Leaf blowers can blow all sorts of crap at your paint as the air is not filtered. Bespoke car air blowers have filtered and heated air, so hepls dry quicker and allows only air to hit your paint.
I was going to retro fit a filter on the leaf blower but I've purchased a water filter instead now. Seems to be very popular or in short supply but I managed to get an 11 ltr pre filled with m151. Free delivery.
Appreciate 1
Alscoob2119.00
      03-22-2024, 03:42 PM   #26
SW6Steve
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d

Quote:
I'll have a look at mine tonight and take a pic or two with size & fittings to give you an idea.

How long does it last... well depends on how often you use it but quite a while, will get back with more info.

EDIT..... SW6Steve

So this is my de-ironised container. It has a screw top section so you can empty and change the resin. I connect the hose to the input side and a length of hose to the output with a trigger spray head and when not in use connect the small loop to both as the pic to stop evaporation.
Size is 87 so 8" dia x 17" high, capacity 11 litres

Attachment 3415096 Attachment 3415097

This is the resin I use comes in a 25 litre bag and will easily last me about 18-24 months easily depending on how much I use it. (sometimes in autumn / winter I don't use it as there is plenty of time to use the blower on its own).
I use the MB-151 resin as I'm in a hard water area, you can use the MB-115 resin if you are in a soft water area.

Note the blower really only works at it's best when the car is polished / waxed / or ceramic coated or other methods of forming beading, so it just runs off easily.

Attachment 3415098

You need to buy one of these too, it measures the total dissolved solids (TDS) in the water. https://www.waterfilterman.co.uk/wat...705707313.html

Quite interesting when you test the tap water and see how high the reading is, then test your de-ironised water and it reads Zero! So it is a way of monitoring the condition of your rinse water and helps you decide when to change the resin in the container.

Attachment 3415099

Many people sell these vessels but I believe Vyair are the most competitive.

If you decide to get one of these you must only use it as the last rinse to wash the contaminated water off the car. So wash the car as you would e.g. snow foam, rinse, 2 bucket wash method, rinse to remove all suds, any next steps like Samson Hydra https://sansom.co.uk/products/hydra
or other beading aids. Then a final rinse with the de-ironised water and you can then just leave it to dry naturally.

Hope that helps and give some info
Thanks Great, thanks so much for taking the time to explain how it works.
I will be purchasing!
My pet hate is feeling rushed to dry the car during warmer weather. I actually wash parts of the car from the top, and dry as I go. It usually takes me 4 hours to wash the car properly, so have to rinse and dry as I go.
Thanks again
Appreciate 1
Alscoob2119.00
      03-22-2024, 04:54 PM   #27
dave550i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 640D Vert Melbourne Red

After maybe spending thick end of a grand on water softeners air blowers wash mits snowfoam once snowfoam twice then other treatments before even clay treatment and then a grands worth of ceramic treatment, REALLY either most of you guys must be working from home and doing sod all or you have too much money to spend, and reality check how much does all this add to the resale value? very little i would say! comparing to when it comes to sell just get the car well valeted
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2024, 05:26 PM   #28
Pentland
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i (G42)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave550i View Post
After maybe spending thick end of a grand on water softeners air blowers wash mits snowfoam once snowfoam twice then other treatments before even clay treatment and then a grands worth of ceramic treatment, REALLY either most of you guys must be working from home and doing sod all or you have too much money to spend, and reality check how much does all this add to the resale value? very little i would say! comparing to when it comes to sell just get the car well valeted
I kind of agree with the excess on water treatments and air blowers but as I said in my OP, some reap great pleasure from the detailing process. It’s their “thing” and items like blowers would be a one off purchase so cheap over their lifetime. For me it’s a maintenance wash and a bit of pride in a £50k+ item.

As for the time involved; my routine takes about 30-40 minutes including getting the kit out the shed and putting it away. I wash the car once or twice a month depending on how dirty it is.
I’d be down to 20-30mins if the snow foam didn’t need time to dwell and the neighbours didn’t think they were Micheal McIntyre impersonators stopping me to ask, “would you do mine as well” thinking it was the most unique and funniest quip ever.
Appreciate 2
Alscoob2119.00
      03-23-2024, 03:03 AM   #29
ABall
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave550i View Post
Yeah I aint spending best part of £300 on a blower but i live in a very hard water area and it does leave white spots, I just spent the best part of a private pension payout on this car and I want it to look mint all the time, always had old clapped out motors. As for the resale value, I would say it adds absolutely zero but if there were 2 similar cars both the same price and one looks like the owner took no pride in how it looks I would be wondering if he treated the maintenence in the same way, I know which one I would buy. I will be getting it ceramic coated which includes polishing out the swirl marks which means my car will look cared for which it will be, Then i intend to do as minimal as possible to keep it looking nice, as far as I understand having it professionally detailed means I dont have to spend 4 hours cleaning it!
Appreciate 3
Alscoob2119.00
Ennoch2257.00
      03-23-2024, 03:25 AM   #30
Alscoob
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

IMO the key is to have a car looking as good as it possibly can be and then being able to spend as least time possible maintaining that finish for the time you own it. If that involves all the processes discussed here, then so be it.

On my former black F31 I spent 4 days getting to that point but then a quick 40min wash would have it looking like new again and that included all shuts and a vacuum. I had the car 4 years and it looked as good the day I sold it as it did after my 4 day work load.

I still turned to look at it every time I locked it and walked away thinking Wow
Appreciate 2
APJ245.00
      03-23-2024, 04:17 AM   #31
ABall
Private
Rep

Quote:
IMO the key is to have a car looking as good as it possibly can be and then being able to spend as least time possible maintaining that finish for the time you own it. If that involves all the processes discussed here, then so be it.

On my former black F31 I spent 4 days getting to that point but then a quick 40min wash would have it looking like new again and that included all shuts and a vacuum. I had the car 4 years and it looked as good the day I sold it as it did after my 4 day work load.

I still turned to look at it every time I locked it and walked away thinking Wow
That's exactly my aim, sort of do it already but shiny will be a cherry on top.
Appreciate 1
Alscoob2119.00
      03-27-2024, 12:58 PM   #32
Appash29
Rep
Drives: F33 435D Cabriolet, F40 M135i

For tips and tricks and getting the best results try watching 'White Details' on you tube.

For drying I use this;

https://www.mycarcleaning.co.uk/prod...orange-70x90cm

and finish off blowing the door shuts, grills and seals etc with this;

https://www.screwfix.com/p/titan-140...ails_container

Also some good products from here;

https://www.mycarcleaning.co.uk

Welcome to the world of hurt, once you start its adictive
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2024, 03:13 AM   #33
ABall
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appash29 View Post
For tips and tricks and getting the best results try watching 'White Details' on you tube.

For drying I use this;

https://www.mycarcleaning.co.uk/prod...orange-70x90cm

and finish off blowing the door shuts, grills and seals etc with this;

https://www.screwfix.com/p/titan-140...ails_container

Also some good products from here;

https://www.mycarcleaning.co.uk

Welcome to the world of hurt, once you start its adictive
Thanks for these, I will check them out over the weekend, I havent got any cleaning products yet. Ive got a resin washer and water tester though. The car is been colected on Tuesday for the paint correction and ceramic coat so I need to crack on and choose my kit.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2024, 04:09 AM   #34
Alscoob
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for these, I will check them out over the weekend, I havent got any cleaning products yet. Ive got a resin washer and water tester though. The car is been colected on Tuesday for the paint correction and ceramic coat so I need to crack on and choose my kit.
Also have a look at Ultimate finish... https://www.theultimatefinish.co.uk/

You can search by task on the side menu's ... https://www.theultimatefinish.co.uk/by-brand.aspx

Happy Easter reading!!
Appreciate 1
ABall39.00
      03-28-2024, 07:12 AM   #35
APJ
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F36 435d M Sport Plus

ABall, give this guy a watch, his videos from three to four years ago are well worth viewing, he keeps things simple and recommends many products depending on different tastes and budgets https://www.youtube.com/@ForensicDetailing
And remember you don't have to buy them all
Appreciate 2
P-ToK72342.00
ABall39.00
      03-31-2024, 09:36 AM   #36
ABall
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by APJ View Post
ABall, give this guy a watch, his videos from three to four years ago are well worth viewing, he keeps things simple and recommends many products depending on different tastes and budgets https://www.youtube.com/@ForensicDetailing
And remember you don't have to buy them all
Well thats the best part of a bank holiday gone, dont you just love YouTube. Thanks for all the links guys, I finally went with a mixture of recommended products but mostly Bilt, this guy was very good and I only almost baught all of them.

Went for:
Bilt Hamber Touchless snow foam
Bilt Hamber Surfex HD
Bilt Hamber Auto Wheel
Bilt Hamber Atom Mac
Infinity Wax Wax On Si02 Shampoo
Car Pro Pearl
Variouse brushes and mits. Saved a nice chunk with the Easter 15% off at Clean & Shiny so thanks to them but they didnt have 5l Touchless so went direct for that, seems to be in short supply everywhere in that volume.
Appreciate 1
APJ245.00
      04-06-2024, 03:42 AM   #37
APJ
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F36 435d M Sport Plus

Quote:
Well thats the best part of a bank holiday gone, dont you just love YouTube. Thanks for all the links guys, I finally went with a mixture of recommended products but mostly Bilt, this guy was very good and I only almost baught all of them.

Went for:
Bilt Hamber Touchless snow foam
Bilt Hamber Surfex HD
Bilt Hamber Auto Wheel
Bilt Hamber Atom Mac
Infinity Wax Wax On Si02 Shampoo
Car Pro Pearl
Some very good choices, Bilt Hamber stuff is excellent, not sure i would bother with the Atom Mac, though i did buy it as well , once you set off, the first press on the brakes clears the brown stuff of the discs, i found it more useful for putting on the hinges of the shed and gates and also the kids bikes, just anything metal for over winter
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2024, 03:48 AM   #38
ABall
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by APJ View Post
Some very good choices, Bilt Hamber stuff is excellent, not sure i would bother with the Atom Mac, though i did buy it as well , once you set off, the first press on the brakes clears the brown stuff of the discs, i found it more useful for putting on the hinges of the shed and gates and also the kids bikes, just anything metal for over winter
Lol, not to mention that Surfex HD has a corrosion inhibitor too! I have ACF50 for everything else, used it on my motorbike, expensive but worth it. I WILL use the Atom when that runs out.
Appreciate 0