F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > What things should I ask dealer to code before delivery? Key Memory for ASS?
ARMA SPEED

12-06-2012, 06:13 PM   #1
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: various BMW

What things should I ask dealer to code before delivery? Key Memory for ASS?

OK, the F30 I have on order arrived. What things do I want them to code while they do their PDI? I assume its a good idea to do the key memory for ASS just in case I get annoyed with it. Anything else they can do that people have found helpful?
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2012, 06:20 PM   #2
Ron Scott
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 335 M Sport

ASS for sure, as in remember last setting. Also, if they'll do it for you, I don't know, skipping the start-up legal screen disclaimers on the electronics.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2012, 06:28 PM   #3
NAV8TT
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 ///M3 E92 DCT ZCP

I dropped my car for an issue to be fixed and they told me that they will download a new software update. One thing that it offers is seeing the door handles light turn on while in reverse. Not sure if your car came with the latest software but its worth asking.
      12-06-2012, 06:36 PM   #4
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Scott View Post
. Also, if they'll do it for you, I don't know, skipping the start-up legal screen disclaimers on the electronics.
Anyone successfully get that coded through a US dealer? I'd be surprised. Huge liability.

I'm told the BMW DIS system requires codes to unlock certain coding. As in dealer has to open a PUMA case and get a code to unlock that ability to code that feature on car. PDI mgr told me today that the ASS key memory coding requires these steps as BMW doesn't want the disabling to become epidemic.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2012, 06:38 PM   #5
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ONE-77 View Post
I dropped my car for an issue to be fixed and they told me that they will download a new software update. One thing that it offers is seeing the door handles light turn on while in reverse. Not sure if your car came with the latest software but its worth asking.
I was told November 2012 cars have current software. Will ask them to double check. Thx.

I think it does have latest software. I had heard that previous version had a "bug" where the window auto up function would not work. Worked fine when I tested today.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2012, 08:25 PM   #6
azzurro
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by claykin View Post
OK, the F30 I have on order arrived. What things do I want them to code while they do their PDI? I assume its a good idea to do the key memory for ASS just in case I get annoyed with it. Anything else they can do that people have found helpful?
It will take several hours for them to code removing ASS and once it's coded it cannot be reversed. It's really not that big of a deal to start your car and then hit the off button for ASS.

I will probably do it sometime but when you want to pick up your new car, I think the last thing you want to do is add another entire day for them to code the ASS.

The other thing that would be cool (if they can do it) is code so that the side mirrors automatically fold when you shut the car off and then automatically restore when you turn the car on.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2012, 08:55 PM   #7
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by azzurro View Post
It will take several hours for them to code removing ASS and once it's coded it cannot be reversed. It's really not that big of a deal to start your car and then hit the off button for ASS.

I will probably do it sometime but when you want to pick up your new car, I think the last thing you want to do is add another entire day for them to code the ASS.

The other thing that would be cool (if they can do it) is code so that the side mirrors automatically fold when you shut the car off and then automatically restore when you turn the car on.
Its not removing ASS. Its coding it so it remembers your last setting based on the key you used.

PDI Mgr told me it takes time because they open a PUMA case and wait for BMWNA to reply with a code to program the car. Actual work time is an hour or so to go through the DIS check and program functions.

I already asked for mirror fold on car lock. I have Premium Pkg. so I get full CA.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2012, 09:01 PM   #8
mark.L
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 335i

Quote:
Its not removing ASS. Its coding it so it remembers your last setting based on the key you used.

PDI Mgr told me it takes time because they open a PUMA case and wait for BMWNA to reply with a code to program the car. Actual work time is an hour or so to go through the DIS check and program functions.

I already asked for mirror fold on car lock. I have Premium Pkg. so I get full CA.
Are the dealers coding auto fold mirrors functionality?
      12-06-2012, 09:05 PM   #9
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark.L View Post
Are the dealers coding auto fold mirrors functionality?
I shall find out. My request is in.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2012, 09:20 PM   #10
mark.L
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 335i

Quote:
I shall find out. My request is in.
I see. Do post the response you get.
      12-07-2012, 01:17 AM   #11
akamomo
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark.L View Post
I see. Do post the response you get.
+1, thanks!
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2012, 02:57 PM   #12
bcl0328
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 328i

took my car in today for oil change and was told there was some recalls and i should drop it off for coding. i asked my dealer about this and he said he had no clue about it. is there something i can show him?
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2012, 11:45 PM   #13
JVFan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Very Well

I had a recall while in for service last week and posted here a while back. No clue what the reprogramming recall was all about but would love to know.
      12-10-2012, 02:22 AM   #14
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.

It shouldnt take all day. Maybe they are uploading a whole new file rather than just changing some settings. Went to a meet today and four cars were coded in a couple hours. Awesome. Now mirrors fold on lock. Windows will automatically roll up on lock. The windows can auto roll up with the doors open tpms show psi and temps ass remembers last setting and blinkers blink 5 times instead of three now.

Thanks frogman!
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2012, 11:23 AM   #15
Monaco
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 Jaguar XF Portfolio Sport

Can the dealer enter some coding to make the A/C system remember last setting? Now that it's winter, it is annoying for the A/C fan to turn on when I start the car after an extended period of being off (restarts within five minutes typically keep the A/C at last setting however)
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2012, 11:30 AM   #16
MotoEV
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW Active Hybrid 3

This list of what is included in the reprogramming campaign was over 20 items. Some benign and others a bit discomforting (windows automatically rolling down). I suggest you ask them to show you the details of the campaign.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVFan View Post
I had a recall while in for service last week and posted here a while back. No clue what the reprogramming recall was all about but would love to know.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2012, 02:10 PM   #17
TheObviousChild
Captain
Rep
Drives: '23 M3 Comp xDrive - '21 X3M40

I'm trying to put together my list and have a question for you guys. I plan on asking for the ASS memory persistence, and the code to change my sport displays to show US HP & Torque, but I was wondering about the driving mode.

Every time I start the car, it defaults back to Comfort Mode and I'd like it to remember my last selection - typically Sport Mode.

Has anyone else done this?

Previous: 2020 M340 / 2017 X3 / 2016 340xi / 2013 335xi / 2011 X3 / 2010 328i / 2007 328i / 2004 325i
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2012, 06:35 PM   #18
Frogman
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheObviousChild View Post
I'm trying to put together my list and have a question for you guys. I plan on asking for the ASS memory persistence, and the code to change my sport displays to show US HP & Torque, but I was wondering about the driving mode.

Every time I start the car, it defaults back to Comfort Mode and I'd like it to remember my last selection - typically Sport Mode.

Has anyone else done this?
I don't think the dealer can or will change your default driving mode.

AFAIK, no one has been able to figure out how to change the default driving mode. The only thing I've seen is that the UK guys have been able to change their default of Eco-Pro to Comfort, but not Sport.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2012, 07:02 PM   #19
Ron Scott
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 335 M Sport

ASS coding was SOP at my dealer...no big deal, no waiting, no stories. Completely confused why anyone would not want "Last User Mode" coded like this since it simply gives you the option re: using it as a default.

Not sure why default folding side mirrors would be preferred to pushing the button when you wanted them to fold. 98% of the time you gain nothing by folding so why do it all the time?

Comfort Mode is sort of a safety mode; not completely but close enough for this car. Defaulting to it and requiring you to consciously activate Sport or Sport+ isn't terrible.

Here's a code for ya: I forget if its the default iTunes approach or not but selecting a single song and having it play over and over again in repeat mode as the default is fucking annoying. Play it once and have done with it. We're not 4 year olds.

Finally, a question: Does BMW alert you inside the vehicle about software updates? If not, why not? Why not simply give you the option to download them automatically as safety and availability permits?
Appreciate 0