F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Deactivating F30 Start Stop by default
ARMA SPEED

03-08-2012, 07:18 AM   #45
MurrietaF30
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328i Mineral Grey, Sport

It took me a few days to get used to. Soon I will probably completely block it out. At first it feels like you stalled the car.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2012, 09:00 AM   #46
Michael Schott
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 VW GTI Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90 View Post
Oh, I see. That sucks.
Ok, at some point we'll all just have to learn to live with it.

This is going to suck if you have a dead battery.
Consider that now if your battery is dead, you can get a jump start.
Great, it's running. But, you're going to need some miles before you can even get some juice into your bad batter.
You get a jump, drive off and as soon as you get to the first stop, the engine dies. Great. Now you're blocking traffic while waiting for road side assistance.

But, how about a compromise.
They could at least give us a stopped time setting.
Let's say we can set if for 5 or 10 seconds after stopping.
That way we can come to full short stops at stop signs without needing to restart the engine.
That would be useful, cause if I'm actually stopping for a long enough period to get value from shutting off the engine, then shut if off instead of a 2 count, which is about the time one would wait at a stop sign.
I'd be cool with that.

Yeah, I do need to get a test drive. Maybe it's not as bad as I am picturing it to be.
And, at least I can shut if off at start up. I'll just have to add another button push to the start routine.

BTW, any word on a fuse for the auto on/off annoya....I mean "feature".
Most likely BMW has built in logic to the system that disables the stop/start if the battery is low.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2012, 11:25 AM   #47
Weaselboy
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Schott View Post
Most likely BMW has built in logic to the system that disables the stop/start if the battery is low.
Yep. From the manual.

Appreciate 0
      03-08-2012, 12:43 PM   #48
mkeath
Rep
Drives: 2007 Toyota 4runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeRandomer123 View Post
Ha, I forgot you American's don't have corners other than 90 degrees! They're great fun in a BMW, especially when they're wet . But you can't dawdle on them so Stop/Start is not good.
Ugh I hate roundabouts...and yes we do have them. They are just rare.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2012, 12:46 PM   #49
Fugly M3
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3CX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weaselboy View Post
Yep. From the manual.

I'd like to know how the little boffins inside the ecu determine what "stop-and-go traffic" is. I now see where the money that used to be spent on refinements like painted shadowline trim and interior plastics has gone; stop-and-go algorithm development. I guess confusing that system could be a way to pass the time while sitting in LA traffic.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2012, 12:55 PM   #50
mapezzul
Special Agent
United_States
Rep
Drives: Depends on the day!

In the US it is considered part of the EPA testing so dealers will not be able to defeat it as per customer requests and it will impact emissions and defeating emissions voids warranty on said system if I understand correctly.

I have the system on my cars now and I quite like it and it saves a decent amount of fuel in city driving- we get about 1-2 mpg more with it active. It really doesn't take all that much time to get used to it and it deactivates when you would need it to, the first system was a different story.
      03-08-2012, 05:15 PM   #51
pcbrew
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by E46M54325Ci View Post
I'd like to know how the little boffins inside the ecu determine what "stop-and-go traffic" is. I now see where the money that used to be spent on refinements like painted shadowline trim and interior plastics has gone; stop-and-go algorithm development. I guess confusing that system could be a way to pass the time while sitting in LA traffic.
Quote:
E90Fleet: At least three stops made in short succession at a speed of less than 25 km/h/15 mph
http://www.f30post.com/forums/showpo...24&postcount=7
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2012, 05:21 PM   #52
SoFlo_Nick
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Current (392 Widebody Charger)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeRandomer123 View Post
For manual cars, I think Stop/Start is good but for automatics, no. That would be brilliant if they were obliging to allow it deactivated by default!
Wait that's should be the other way around manual is so awkward when you put your foot on the clutch it shuts off that's weird. In auto as soon as it comes to a hault naturly your foot goes on the brakes
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2012, 06:15 PM   #53
pcbrew
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGuyadeen View Post
Wait that's should be the other way around manual is so awkward when you put your foot on the clutch it shuts off that's weird. In auto as soon as it comes to a hault naturly your foot goes on the brakes
No, the engine starts when you depress the clutch.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2012, 12:10 PM   #54
Just a 3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i prem sport perf pkge

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWrules7 View Post
I am with you. But, so many complain.

There is an element of government intrusion that would make it a tiny victory if we defeat the default auto start stop.

Call me a rebel.
Why do we have to remember to always push a button because we don't want a worthless feature in our cars, something that irritates us? Yes, it is worthless - with the new EPA figures, this car does barely better than its E90 counterpart, and the added fuel efficiency is because of a 4 cyl engine, and an 8 speed auto.

Stop/Start, low rolling resistance tires etc. etc - BMW is fast becoming the Prius of luxury cars - more to show off to environmentalists, than any real benefits.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2012, 12:11 PM   #55
Just a 3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

What exactly do you gain with this A.S.S feature? Certainly not any real gas mileage benefit - maybe more for BMW to parrot itself as a green company?
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2012, 12:29 PM   #56
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just a 3 View Post
Stop/Start, low rolling resistance tires etc. etc - BMW is fast becoming the Prius of luxury cars - more to show off to environmentalists, than any real benefits.
Thanks to European law all Euro manufacturers and many Japanese manufacturers will have auto Start/Stop standard soon.

Even Ferrari is testing the system for release soon.
      04-12-2012, 12:30 PM   #57
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
What exactly do you gain with this A.S.S feature? Certainly not any real gas mileage benefit - maybe more for BMW to parrot itself as a green company?
Euro law for decreasing emissions.
      04-12-2012, 01:39 PM   #58
micknugget
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 328 Red

So if you are at a light and the engine shuts off, a couple of seconds before the light turns green you can press down harder (as opposed to lifting) on the brake pedal and it will restart right? I would think that would be the best way to go as the engine is running when you are ready to go and if the system screws up, you have a second or two to restart before the light turns green.
      04-12-2012, 01:40 PM   #59
shoptb
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 G01 X3 m40i

Quote:
Really? Doesn't common sense tell you that one would be saving fuel by not running an engine while sitting still? I'm wondering what the line of thinking is....most people have posted that with the system running they see noticeable differences.
      04-12-2012, 03:25 PM   #60
David1
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 09 X5

It plain old sucks and really sucks in heavy traffic. The car runs so lean at idle that you will never notice a visual savings on the fuel gauge. I have driven 2 cars now with it for almost 1k miles. I saved more overall driving on eco pro mode. The car shakes when the motor turns off then really shakes upon restart. I had A.S.S activate 15 times in one fricking mile at rush hour the other day and pressing harder on the brake pedal never restarted it.
      04-12-2012, 03:27 PM   #61
Just a 3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90Fleet View Post
Thanks to European law all Euro manufacturers and many Japanese manufacturers will have auto Start/Stop standard soon.

Even Ferrari is testing the system for release soon.
I hope they provide a way to disable it.........
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2012, 03:27 PM   #62
David1
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 09 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by micknugget View Post
So if you are at a light and the engine shuts off, a couple of seconds before the light turns green you can press down harder (as opposed to lifting) on the brake pedal and it will restart right? I would think that would be the best way to go as the engine is running when you are ready to go and if the system screws up, you have a second or two to restart before the light turns green.
I have had a 328 and 535 and pressing on the brake harder never restarted the car.
      04-12-2012, 03:34 PM   #63
Just a 3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoptb View Post
Really? Doesn't common sense tell you that one would be saving fuel by not running an engine while sitting still? I'm wondering what the line of thinking is....most people have posted that with the system running they see noticeable differences.
Hold your 'common sense' horses - there's no evidence that there is a notable mpg saving with ASS - this engine's mpg is pretty comparable with its competitors which don't have ASS - as others have posted, its probably more to do with euro emissions.. And what about the added wear and tear on the engine/starter? Its all ours after the warranty runs out.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2012, 03:35 PM   #64
Just a 3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by David1 View Post
It plain old sucks and really sucks in heavy traffic. The car runs so lean at idle that you will never notice a visual savings on the fuel gauge. I have driven 2 cars now with it for almost 1k miles. I saved more overall driving on eco pro mode. The car shakes when the motor turns off then really shakes upon restart. I had A.S.S activate 15 times in one fricking mile at rush hour the other day and pressing harder on the brake pedal never restarted it.
+1
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2012, 05:22 PM   #65
Carnook
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: iX

Quote:
Hold your 'common sense' horses - there's no evidence that there is a notable mpg saving with ASS - this engine's mpg is pretty comparable with its competitors which don't have ASS - as others have posted, its probably more to do with euro emissions.. And what about the added wear and tear on the engine/starter? Its all ours after the warranty runs out.
Engine not running = Engine not consuming fuel
Engine not running = Engine not producing emissions

Every bit helps, so who really cares the degree to which there are savings. Less fuel and less emissions are better. Imagine if every car idling in traffic was no longer idling. That could have a huge cumulative impact.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2012, 05:41 PM   #66
mapezzul
Special Agent
United_States
Rep
Drives: Depends on the day!

I have been driving this since September with the system- with a manual in Germany in a commute of of 200 miles per week I see about 1 MPG difference with it active. No issues with the manual of it not working properly.

The big difference is that here in Germany the lights count down to Green so you know when the light is changing and you can start the process before the light is green. It is smart and if you think about how much fuel as a whole is saved by something like this it is amazing.

It took me about a week to get used to it though. Now it is my new normal.