F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > M Performance Power Kit Details
VIBE Motorsports
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      03-09-2013, 04:30 PM   #331
metrickid
Dinosaur supervisor
metrickid's Avatar
Netherlands
2926
Rep
4,231
Posts

Drives: M2
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Autobahn

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsquared View Post
The PPK makes the 335i into a 335is. Cobb and other brands have tunes for 335is's. The aftermarket tune doesn't overwrite that... I don't see the difference.
The PPK won't turn the F30 into an is since they use two completely different engines. But the power is similar though.

I just took a quick look and the 335is power with the Cobb installed is the same as the 335i (older N54 equipped cars), so no difference there.

Newer E9x 335's use N55 but the 335is still used the N54 that is why there is a difference. So no, you won't get more power by adding a Cobb tune over a PPK tune than what you would by adding Cobb on a car without the PPK.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2013, 04:46 PM   #332
nsquared
[Versatile]
nsquared's Avatar
44
Rep
1,543
Posts

Drives: (S)LOW.
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: California & Utah

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossifumi View Post
The PPK won't turn the F30 into an is since they use two completely different engines. But the power is similar though.

I just took a quick look and the 335is power with the Cobb installed is the same as the 335i (older N54 equipped cars), so no difference there.

Newer E9x 335's use N55 but the 335is still used the N54 that is why there is a difference. So no, you won't get more power by adding a Cobb tune over a PPK tune than what you would by adding Cobb on a car without the PPK.
Right, I forgot about the engine difference. I just assumed the high-output N54 found in the 335iS is just a tuned up 335i (using software and performance exhaust). Thus, a 335i (F30) w/ ppk should have the same power as the 335iS. Thus you can add a tune on top of it. I suppose I am wrong though. Thanks for the info.

I still think w/ bolt-ons minus water-meth, the F30 version of the N55 can achieve 330-340whp/400wtq.
__________________
'13 AW F30 335i ///M-Sport 6MT. OEM(+) - SOLD
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2013, 11:56 AM   #333
roundel335
Major General
roundel335's Avatar
United_States
890
Rep
5,739
Posts

Drives: 13 335i Sedan, 16 228i Cabrio
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Leland, NC

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
Nsquared is correct - the PPK from BMW will be a complete new base flash for the F30 DME, and tunes will add to that base, not completely overwrite it. Hence my comment above about the stacking effect. As we don't really know to what extent the PPK will increase HP and TQ, it'd be better to wait and see. Cobb will need to come up with a new flash that will work with PPK-equipped cars.

We've also been hearing that a newer and more powerful version of the N55 might be coming out later this year. It's not inconceivable that it will be the same as the current version with this PPK installed. It would be somewhat unlikely that BMW would alter any of the current N55 hardware, but then the N54 begat the N55, so might the N55 beget the N56 (or whatever they will call it)?
__________________

2013 F30 335i M-Sport 8AT/MPE/MPPK/JB+, 2016 228i M-Sport Cabrio 8AT
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2013, 12:11 PM   #334
tdizzle
Colonel
United_States
97
Rep
2,004
Posts

Drives: 2017 F80 ZCP
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Memphis

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsquared View Post
I still think w/ bolt-ons minus water-meth, the F30 version of the N55 can achieve 330-340whp/400wtq.
You are correct. DP+JB4 will put up those numbers. I think the last I saw was 335hp/410tq.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2013, 12:15 PM   #335
tdizzle
Colonel
United_States
97
Rep
2,004
Posts

Drives: 2017 F80 ZCP
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Memphis

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by roundel335 View Post
Nsquared is correct - the PPK from BMW will be a complete new base flash for the F30 DME, and tunes will add to that base, not completely overwrite it. Hence my comment above about the stacking effect. As we don't really know to what extent the PPK will increase HP and TQ, it'd be better to wait and see. Cobb will need to come up with a new flash that will work with PPK-equipped cars.
Someone smarter than me should chime in, but I think this is a wrong assumption. The PPK is merely adjusting engine parameters, namely boost. Any flash/tune will do the exact same thing, just probably more aggressive. They will not stack. Putting an aftermarket tune on a non PPK car will give you the same gain as putting it on one with the PPK, effectively making getting the PPK and an aftermarket tune a waste.

Unless they decide to release new hardware with the PPK also, but I dont see that happening and any aftermarket hardware would be better.

Only real reason to get the PPK is if you want to be safe with BMW's warranty rather than risking it with an aftermarket tune.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2013, 01:50 PM   #336
nsquared
[Versatile]
nsquared's Avatar
44
Rep
1,543
Posts

Drives: (S)LOW.
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: California & Utah

iTrader: (2)

I am so anxious about this tune. I thought I read somewhere that the F30 PPK does include some hardware?
__________________
'13 AW F30 335i ///M-Sport 6MT. OEM(+) - SOLD
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2013, 01:51 PM   #337
zibawal
Major
United_States
32
Rep
1,112
Posts

Drives: 2012 X5D
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: SFO BAY AREA

iTrader: (0)

Is this for N54/ N55 only ? Not for N20
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2013, 01:53 PM   #338
nsquared
[Versatile]
nsquared's Avatar
44
Rep
1,543
Posts

Drives: (S)LOW.
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: California & Utah

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zibawal View Post
Is this for N54/ N55 only ? Not for N20
Its for the F30 N55 motor, yes.

Not sure if they will make a PPK for the N20. I would think they would eventually.
__________________
'13 AW F30 335i ///M-Sport 6MT. OEM(+) - SOLD
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2013, 03:00 PM   #339
roundel335
Major General
roundel335's Avatar
United_States
890
Rep
5,739
Posts

Drives: 13 335i Sedan, 16 228i Cabrio
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Leland, NC

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdizzle View Post
Someone smarter than me should chime in, but I think this is a wrong assumption. The PPK is merely adjusting engine parameters, namely boost. Any flash/tune will do the exact same thing, just probably more aggressive. They will not stack. Putting an aftermarket tune on a non PPK car will give you the same gain as putting it on one with the PPK, effectively making getting the PPK and an aftermarket tune a waste.

Unless they decide to release new hardware with the PPK also, but I dont see that happening and any aftermarket hardware would be better.

Only real reason to get the PPK is if you want to be safe with BMW's warranty rather than risking it with an aftermarket tune.
The last PPK adjusted software plus added an extra radiator - although that may have been just for the N54 models. I didn't own an N55 car, but I'll ask my friend who had the N55 PPK and see what it included. What I've heard/read is that this PPK will include updated software (unsure as to whether it's a complete new DME or not, but the high price might suggest that), a new engine shroud, and some stickers indicating the presence of the
PPK. That could also be an indicator to service techs that there's something different about the car, but again, that's a supposition.

In any event, I'd never stack tunes...just not smart from my perspective, but I know others have done it, particularly with N54 engines. I think it should be reiterated that the N55 is more about efficiency than all-out power, and anyone wanting to turn it into a fast-and-furious type of car would be better served starting with an E9x "is" model, which continues to be sold for model year 2013, or wait for the reputed "stronger" N55 to appear.
__________________

2013 F30 335i M-Sport 8AT/MPE/MPPK/JB+, 2016 228i M-Sport Cabrio 8AT
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2013, 06:27 PM   #340
tdizzle
Colonel
United_States
97
Rep
2,004
Posts

Drives: 2017 F80 ZCP
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Memphis

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsquared View Post
I am so anxious about this tune. I thought I read somewhere that the F30 PPK does include some hardware?
The 'hardware' doesn't seem to be performance related. The intake is tweaked to make it louder and some stickers, but only the tune is related to actual performance in everything they released.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2013, 10:39 PM   #341
340driver
Enlisted Member
Singapore
0
Rep
39
Posts

Drives: F15 Xdrive35i Pure Experience
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Singapore

iTrader: (0)

Well if you guys read the official BMW site, it does say that cars made before Nov 12 will require a new DME unit not just a reflash.

If I recall correctly there was a posted install guide for the PPK on this thread which details change of the DME from MEVD 172 6 to MEVD 172 S
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2013, 12:34 AM   #342
nsquared
[Versatile]
nsquared's Avatar
44
Rep
1,543
Posts

Drives: (S)LOW.
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: California & Utah

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 340driver View Post
Well if you guys read the official BMW site, it does say that cars made before Nov 12 will require a new DME unit not just a reflash.

If I recall correctly there was a posted install guide for the PPK on this thread which details change of the DME from MEVD 172 6 to MEVD 172 S
Which means?
__________________
'13 AW F30 335i ///M-Sport 6MT. OEM(+) - SOLD
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2013, 10:26 AM   #343
shivaswrath
Brigadier General
shivaswrath's Avatar
United_States
586
Rep
4,315
Posts

Drives: 2012 335i
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Lost in NJ

iTrader: (3)

You get a new ECU.
__________________
CURRENT: 2017 RS3 (miss you guys)
SOLD: 2012 335i Mineral Gray

M Performance Exhaust/Brakes/Suspension/LSD|Bav Stage 1/AMP||ER CP/IC/DP/OC | Dinan CAI/N55 PWG BIG TURBO|BMWF30.com
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2013, 10:55 AM   #344
shivaswrath
Brigadier General
shivaswrath's Avatar
United_States
586
Rep
4,315
Posts

Drives: 2012 335i
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Lost in NJ

iTrader: (3)

Confirmed, part's does not have the item in the US. They are confirming with BMW AG timing...
__________________
CURRENT: 2017 RS3 (miss you guys)
SOLD: 2012 335i Mineral Gray

M Performance Exhaust/Brakes/Suspension/LSD|Bav Stage 1/AMP||ER CP/IC/DP/OC | Dinan CAI/N55 PWG BIG TURBO|BMWF30.com
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2013, 11:04 AM   #345
tdizzle
Colonel
United_States
97
Rep
2,004
Posts

Drives: 2017 F80 ZCP
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Memphis

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivaswrath View Post
Confirmed, part's does not have the item in the US. They are confirming with BMW AG timing...
Surprise!
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2013, 11:22 AM   #346
nsquared
[Versatile]
nsquared's Avatar
44
Rep
1,543
Posts

Drives: (S)LOW.
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: California & Utah

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivaswrath View Post
Confirmed, part's does not have the item in the US. They are confirming with BMW AG timing...
?
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2013, 03:06 PM   #347
shivaswrath
Brigadier General
shivaswrath's Avatar
United_States
586
Rep
4,315
Posts

Drives: 2012 335i
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Lost in NJ

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsquared View Post
?
Part's confirmed the part does not exist in their catalogue as of yet.
They have put in another query to BMW Germany headquarters to see ETA.
__________________
CURRENT: 2017 RS3 (miss you guys)
SOLD: 2012 335i Mineral Gray

M Performance Exhaust/Brakes/Suspension/LSD|Bav Stage 1/AMP||ER CP/IC/DP/OC | Dinan CAI/N55 PWG BIG TURBO|BMWF30.com
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2013, 10:11 PM   #348
Quackdiesel
Corleone
Canada
0
Rep
8
Posts

Drives: 2014 X5 35d M Sport
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: AB

iTrader: (0)

Got an email from my salesman today who said that they had no idea for an eta but knew the cost would be 2000 without tax and install. Poor Canadians. I'll still get it though lmao. Take my money already BMW
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2013, 04:50 PM   #349
Ed335xi m
Private
4
Rep
89
Posts

Drives: 2011bmw x6 5.0
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: New York

iTrader: (1)

If you go to bmwusa.com you can order the MPPK for $800. Plus installation and tax for around $1,200 in NYC! But it's only for the coupes not the sedan!! 😒
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2013, 05:32 PM   #350
NICKTENN
Second Lieutenant
NICKTENN's Avatar
United_States
42
Rep
265
Posts

Drives: 340i M Sport
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Suburb of Tampa FL

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edwinf25
If you go to bmwusa.com you can order the MPPK for $800. Plus installation and tax for around $1,200 in NYC! But it's only for the coupes not the sedan!! 😒
Helpfull...
__________________
2016 340i M Sport Alpine White, BMS Intake, JB4 Beta

2012 335i Sport Line, RIP
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2013, 01:12 AM   #351
brandon @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
brandon @ eas's Avatar
United_States
365
Rep
3,620
Posts


Drives: F30 335i
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Anaheim, CA

iTrader: (10)

Send a message via AIM to brandon @ eas
Here is the real info on PPK:

The MSRP will be $1,100 for cars produced from 11/12 and $1,250 for cars produced before 11/12 (price is higher because the earlier cars require a new DME - which comes in the kit).

The Power Kit will include:

A new engine cover with the M Performance logo.
A new air box to maximize engine intake air volume.
A plaque for the engine compartment.
An M Performance appliqu for the rocker panel.

Expected release is beginning of April.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2013, 01:22 AM   #352
nsquared
[Versatile]
nsquared's Avatar
44
Rep
1,543
Posts

Drives: (S)LOW.
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: California & Utah

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandon @ eas View Post
Here is the real info on PPK:

The MSRP will be $1,100 for cars produced from 11/12 and $1,250 for cars produced before 11/12 (price is higher because the earlier cars require a new DME - which comes in the kit).

The Power Kit will include:

A new engine cover with the M Performance logo.
A new air box to maximize engine intake air volume.
A plaque for the engine compartment.
An M Performance appliqu for the rocker panel.

Expected release is beginning of April.
Any power updates?

Beautiful update, thanks.
__________________
'13 AW F30 335i ///M-Sport 6MT. OEM(+) - SOLD
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:29 PM.




f30post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST