F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Avin USA 10.25 android system install DIY
Extreme Powerhouse

06-18-2018, 08:59 AM   #2091
Cactus_BMW
Private
Rep
Drives: '08 X5 3.0si

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockyz View Post
From post above i understood that Cactus_BMW to configure the unit to always boot in Android side.
Sorry, I should have clarified... I got mine to start on Android side by leaving it in the music player for 15 seconds as described elsewhere in this thread. If I shut the car off with my unit on a BMW screen it will boot up next time there instead of the Android side.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2018, 09:05 AM   #2092
Cactus_BMW
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by andres.be View Post
Thank you for sharing. I can’t get it to stay on the Android side consistently. I park in reverse and the only explanation I might have is that I must be turning off the car on the reverse screen which I guess is on the BMW side. If I get to fix this I will share the solution.
I experience the same thing. I always park in my garage backed in - so I'm in Reverse, then Park. As such, by default the display is left on my back-up camera and distance sensors (which is on BMW side, not Android). If it turn off in this state and promptly exit the car, I'll be back to default BMW display on next start up.

To avoid this and keep Android as boot system, I after I've parked (and before shutting off/exiting car) I either tap my DTC button to switch off camera/sensors, or turn the engine off - but leave key in for a few seconds and not open any doors (switching key off also turns off camera/sensors). This isn't ideal, but gets the job done - I've just made this part of my driving routine. Sometimes if I'm in a hurry though, or get distracted when parking, I'll be back to booting to BMW side, and have to remember to go back to Android Music app for 15 seconds as the final step on my next shut-down.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2018, 09:26 AM   #2093
Cactus_BMW
Private
Rep

Auto Launch Auto-Play (Car Play) App?

Has anyone had success getting the unit to auto-launch the "Auto-Play" (Apple Car Play) app upon plugging in your iPhone?

I'm trying to automate/simplify/streamline my process as much as possible.

My process today:
I currently have the Android Navigation app mapped to launch AutoPlay. So, I start car, plug in iPhone, then after Android finishes booting and lands in the Music app, I tap my iDrive menu button then scroll over to Navigation app and select it. AutoPlay/CarPlay then launches.

Desired process:
Start car, plug in iPhone. Android finishes booting, detects iPhone connected and launches AutoPlay/CarPlay.

There is an option in the Auto Play settings to auto-launch (don't remember the specific name of the option) but it doesn't seem to work for me. It tries to launch, but then says it is already running or something like that, and gives me a pop-up to kill the AutoPlay app.

Has anyone tried this, or got the function to work properly?

Thanks,
Cactus_BMW
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2018, 11:16 AM   #2094
andres.be
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactus_BMW View Post
I experience the same thing. I always park in my garage backed in - so I'm in Reverse, then Park. As such, by default the display is left on my back-up camera and distance sensors (which is on BMW side, not Android). If it turn off in this state and promptly exit the car, I'll be back to default BMW display on next start up.

To avoid this and keep Android as boot system, I after I've parked (and before shutting off/exiting car) I either tap my DTC button to switch off camera/sensors, or turn the engine off - but leave key in for a few seconds and not open any doors (switching key off also turns off camera/sensors). This isn't ideal, but gets the job done - I've just made this part of my driving routine. Sometimes if I'm in a hurry though, or get distracted when parking, I'll be back to booting to BMW side, and have to remember to go back to Android Music app for 15 seconds as the final step on my next shut-down.
Thanks for confirming, I will start following your routine to stay on the Android side.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2018, 11:20 AM   #2095
andres.be
Rep

Quote:
Has anyone had success getting the unit to auto-launch the "Auto-Play" (Apple Car Play) app upon plugging in your iPhone?

I'm trying to automate/simplify/streamline my process as much as possible.

My process today:
I currently have the Android Navigation app mapped to launch AutoPlay. So, I start car, plug in iPhone, then after Android finishes booting and lands in the Music app, I tap my iDrive menu button then scroll over to Navigation app and select it. AutoPlay/CarPlay then launches.

Desired process:
Start car, plug in iPhone. Android finishes booting, detects iPhone connected and launches AutoPlay/CarPlay.

There is an option in the Auto Play settings to auto-launch (don't remember the specific name of the option) but it doesn't seem to work for me. It tries to launch, but then says it is already running or something like that, and gives me a pop-up to kill the AutoPlay app.

Has anyone tried this, or got the function to work properly?

Thanks,
Cactus_BMW
I’ve managed to auto start the Auto Play app by installing Startup Manager. Actually this app also allowed me to disable some system processes tha I don’t need to make Android boot faster. Hope this helps.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2018, 11:29 AM   #2096
Cactus_BMW
Private
Rep

Quote:
I’ve managed to auto start the Auto Play app by installing Startup Manager. Actually this app also allowed me to disable some system processes tha I don’t need to make Android boot faster. Hope this helps.
This is excellent news!!! I'll look for "Startup Manager" today when I get home w/ the car.

Would you mind to share what system processes you've safely disabled? I'd like to eliminate as many unneeded things as possible (I only use this unit for CarPlay - don't really use Android side for anything else).

Also, if you disable something that was actually needed, is is easy to reapply it?

Big thanks!
Cactus_BMW
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2018, 12:17 PM   #2097
andres.be
Rep

Quote:
This is excellent news!!! I'll look for "Startup Manager" today when I get home w/ the car.

Would you mind to share what system processes you've safely disabled? I'd like to eliminate as many unneeded things as possible (I only use this unit for CarPlay - don't really use Android side for anything else).

Also, if you disable something that was actually needed, is is easy to reapply it?

Big thanks!
Cactus_BMW
I have the following system services disabled, there are other that might be disabled safely but I didn’t want to mess with them:

Bluetooth
Calendar
Calendar Storage
Camera Dialer
Download Manager
Email
Gmail
Google Contacts Sync
HD DVR
Messaging
Mobile Data
SIM Toolkit
System Update

I’m not sure what happens if you disbable a critical service, I think you should be able to boot and enable it again but can’t say for sure.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2018, 12:33 PM   #2098
shawncas
Rep
Drives: Lotus Evora S

Afternoon all. Question as I continue to install my new AVIN into my '16 M235i.

Two things really..

In the "quick guide" step 7 says to "Remove the original socket and pull out the green cable with 2PIN." I clearly see this cable in the instructional videos, but it just does not exist in my car??!!! Optical cable is how he describes it..

Am I missing something?

Lastly.. Backup camera.. Have OEM, but when going into reverse I am getting a "camera failure" or similar warning, seeing a display in the AVIN, but virtually unviewable..

I have confirmed all connections are tight and firmly seated.

Love any input while I wait for AVIN to respond to emails and get their live chat up again.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2018, 12:34 PM   #2099
pulare
Rep
Drives: Bmw 520D F11 2014

Avin have the new android 7.1 with 2GB RAM and 32 GB storage.

https://avinusa.com/bmw-5-series-102...on-system.html
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2018, 12:38 PM   #2100
DRuw
Captain
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: G21 330e MSport Individual

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulare View Post
Avin have the new android 7.1 with 2GB RAM and 32 GB storage.

https://avinusa.com/bmw-5-series-102...on-system.html
Same as the Ugode but at a higher price except for the possible connections as far as I can see.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2018, 01:58 PM   #2101
pulare
Rep
Drives: Bmw 520D F11 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRuw View Post
Same as the Ugode but at a higher price except for the possible connections as far as I can see.
just $40 more with Avin
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2018, 02:02 PM   #2102
DRuw
Captain
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: G21 330e MSport Individual

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulare View Post
just $40 more with Avin
And their aftersales service... sorry, my experience with them.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2018, 02:48 PM   #2103
shawncas
Rep
Drives: Lotus Evora S

So got my install done and the device working to 95%....

The one thing I do not seem to have however is internal sound... From the video clips, music on device, etc.. Any thoughts all? Bluetooth audio and such works perfectly.....

Have checked all internal volume items, all are maxed.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2018, 03:43 AM   #2104
plikmuny
Private First Class
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d, 330D(2019)

Can any expert here who had both devices share their experiences with each Device pls ? i am happy with 4.4. device and it works without any Problem. Practically is it worth upgrading to 7.1 from 4.4 just because of 2gb RAM ? It Looks great in Terms of Specs. Pls share your experiences.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2018, 04:36 AM   #2105
machman767
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320i M Sport+

Personally I'd go with the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" approach, looking on the Ugode thread seems to show similar issues to what users of Avin units had, like you I'm more than happy with my Avin one. Of course if you've a spare 500 bucks lying around then why not but don't forget having forked out for two Android units you wouldn't be far off having spent enough for a OEM setup.
Mick
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2018, 04:50 AM   #2106
plikmuny
Private First Class
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d, 330D(2019)

Quote:
Originally Posted by machman767 View Post
Personally I'd go with the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" approach, looking on the Ugode thread seems to show similar issues to what users of Avin units had, like you I'm more than happy with my Avin one. Of course if you've a spare 500 bucks lying around then why not but don't forget having forked out for two Android units you wouldn't be far off having spent enough for a OEM setup.
Mick
+1
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2018, 11:41 AM   #2107
deleted_user
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephan_F30 View Post
hi all, for some reason my carplay app does not want to download the latest firmware for the box: 2018.05.17.1342

I am connected to wifi as everything else works fine. The new version shows up in the carplay settings app but when I try to download it nothing happens (tried several times, even whilst driving around for quite some time).
Anyone able to provide me with a link for it?
Seems there is another update for the box (2018.05.23.0933) but it still doesn’t want to download.
Anyone knows where i can find the update or provide me with the firmware? All other updates seem to work fine on the unit itself.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2018, 12:08 PM   #2108
Cactus_BMW
Private
Rep

Quote:
I have the following system services disabled, there are other that might be disabled safely but I didn’t want to mess with them:

Bluetooth
Calendar
Calendar Storage
Camera Dialer
Download Manager
Email
Gmail
Google Contacts Sync
HD DVR
Messaging
Mobile Data
SIM Toolkit
System Update

I’m not sure what happens if you disbable a critical service, I think you should be able to boot and enable it again but can’t say for sure.

andres.be,
I installed the Startup Manager app, and disabled all the items you listed above, plus a couple others. I also added AutoPlay to the custom tab, to have the app auto load. on boot-up.

My experience is that the boot time from a cold-start doesn't seem to be much quicker, if at all. I meant to time it before and after, but was eager to get this going and forgot to capture the before time.

Also, while the AutoPlay app does eventually launch on its own, it seems to happen 30+ seconds after Android has booted up and it has launched the Music player app (needed to force display to not go to BMW side). As AutoPlay launches I see a Startup Manager message indicate it took 1:10 time to launch (guessing total time from power-on). I'm not sure what is happening in that 30+ seconds, but I'm able to go launch AutoPlay manually as soon as I've landed in the music app.

Is what I've described similar to how your setup is working? Mostly curious if you have a delay with AutoPlay launching... Maybe I've missed something in setting this up?

Thanks,
Cactus_BMW
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2018, 03:38 PM   #2109
andres.be
Rep

Quote:
andres.be,
I installed the Startup Manager app, and disabled all the items you listed above, plus a couple others. I also added AutoPlay to the custom tab, to have the app auto load. on boot-up.

My experience is that the boot time from a cold-start doesn't seem to be much quicker, if at all. I meant to time it before and after, but was eager to get this going and forgot to capture the before time.

Also, while the AutoPlay app does eventually launch on its own, it seems to happen 30+ seconds after Android has booted up and it has launched the Music player app (needed to force display to not go to BMW side). As AutoPlay launches I see a Startup Manager message indicate it took 1:10 time to launch (guessing total time from power-on). I'm not sure what is happening in that 30+ seconds, but I'm able to go launch AutoPlay manually as soon as I've landed in the music app.

Is what I've described similar to how your setup is working? Mostly curious if you have a delay with AutoPlay launching... Maybe I've missed something in setting this up?

Thanks,
Cactus_BMW
The set up you describe is exactly the same one I have. I just measured boot time a couple of times on my car and it’s 26-27 seconds. As you mention, the Auto Play doesn’t open immediately after boot. In my car it takes 8-9 additional seconds to open Auto Play.

I’ve been accepting that delay in boot time since I haven’t found any other automated option to make this work. I’ll let you know if I manage to speed it up someway.

Last edited by andres.be; 06-20-2018 at 04:12 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2018, 06:22 PM   #2110
BCBMWF30
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: m3

Garage List
Backup Camera

Hey everyone, I have a 2015 335i with manual transmission. I have the head unit installed. Everything seems to be working fine. However my backup camera works intermittenly. Sometimes I will engage reverse and the camera comes on and stays on untill I change gears. Othertimes it will come on for a few seconds then go off and sometimes it just doesnt come on at all when I engage reverse. The other problem I have is the clock doesnt always update. Sometimes I get in the car and the clock will be at 12:00. I have update clock with GPS checked in settings. Dont know if the 2 problems are related. Any suggestions on what settings I should try to fix the backup camera? Also just fyi I ordered the rear camera from AVIN my car did not come with one.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2018, 11:21 AM   #2111
Cactus_BMW
Private
Rep

Quote:
The set up you describe is exactly the same one I have. I just measured boot time a couple of times on my car and it’s 16-17 seconds. As you mention, the Auto Play doesn’t open immediately after boot. In my car it takes 8-9 additional seconds to open Auto Play.

I’ve been accepting that delay in boot time since I haven’t found any other automated option to make this work. I’ll let you know if I manage to speed it up someway.
Wow. Your boot-time and time to auto launch Car Play is better than half that of mine. Unless you have some other core Google/Android things disabled, I'd expect mine to be about the same. This is very strange and perplexing.

By the way, I have the AVIN unit w/ Android 4.4.

- Cactus_BMW
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2018, 11:58 AM   #2112
andres.be
Rep

Quote:
Wow. Your boot-time and time to auto launch Car Play is better than half that of mine. Unless you have some other core Google/Android things disabled, I'd expect mine to be about the same. This is very strange and perplexing.

By the way, I have the AVIN unit w/ Android 4.4.

- Cactus_BMW
I have the same Avin unit, second gen.

The other config that might be impacting is that I have Google Apps disabled in the System Settings, don’t know if that is the difference.

Last edited by andres.be; 06-20-2018 at 12:14 PM..
Appreciate 0