F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N20, N26, B46, B48 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > bootmod3 - 5k+ user mark
proTUNING Freaks

05-14-2018, 04:37 PM   #1
proTUNING Freaks
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: powered by bootmod3

bootmod3 - 5k+ user mark

Hey guys, wanted to express our sincerest thank you to all users having fun out there with bootmod3 on their F series cars and provide a quick overview where we stand today.

bootmod3 recently crossed the 5000 user mark

Over the last while we've added more features, stabilized the platform further, released 5-9 major OTS map updates over the course of the last 2 years among N20/N55/S55/S63tu/N63tu engines, hired and trained additional support staff and are working each and every day to push on further helping both OTS map users and tuners using BM3 with any project whether it is a daily driven setup to all out race cars across the various platforms supported

Its been a great pleasure to work with all of you and we thank everyone for the continued support you've offered us as the platform evolved. Building something like bm3 from the ground up is an enormous task requiring effort beyond what most outside our small team can imagine but our passion for working on these cars as well as feedback are what inspires to always improve and do better each and every day!

All the best to everyone here, godspeed!
Attached Images

Appreciate 6
rjd_F301999.50
BunkerJ1032.00
Diegov209164.50
BXL449.00
      05-15-2018, 09:12 AM   #2
BunkerJ
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by proTUNING Freaks View Post
Hey guys, wanted to express our sincerest thank you to all users having fun out there with bootmod3 on their F series cars and provide a quick overview where we stand today.

bootmod3 recently crossed the 5000 user mark

Over the last while we've added more features, stabilized the platform further, released 5-9 major OTS map updates over the course of the last 2 years among N20/N55/S55/S63tu/N63tu engines, hired and trained additional support staff and are working each and every day to push on further helping both OTS map users and tuners using BM3 with any project whether it is a daily driven setup to all out race cars across the various platforms supported

Its been a great pleasure to work with all of you and we thank everyone for the continued support you've offered us as the platform evolved. Building something like bm3 from the ground up is an enormous task requiring effort beyond what most outside our small team can imagine but our passion for working on these cars as well as feedback are what inspires to always improve and do better each and every day!

All the best to everyone here, godspeed!
Woohoo! I expect to see those numbers double by the end of the year.

2013 F30 328i: MHI Big Turbo, GFB DV+, Mishimoto CAI, ER TIC/CP/Catless DP, AWE Touring Quad Exhaust w/ Resonated Midpipe, NGK LI Plugs, BM3 with PTF Stage 2 91 AGG Tune, Fuel-it Stage 2 LPFP, Solowerks S1 Coilovers, and DEPO/M-Sport Retrofit
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2018, 09:27 PM   #3
jan31
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F32 428I Xdrive (N26)

Garage List
I'm looking into doing BM3 tune on my car. But I'm still a little bit afraid on doing it myself. I got the cable recently.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2018, 10:05 PM   #4
simoneves
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 228i DSB/THP/6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by jan31 View Post
I'm looking into doing BM3 tune on my car. But I'm still a little bit afraid on doing it myself. I got the cable recently.
I did mine on Saturday. It was super-easy. I already had a cable from some coding experiments last year. Registered and paid with PayPal. Just enter your VIN and it presents just what you need for your car. Just make sure your batteries (car and laptop!) are fully charged, and that you have a solid Internet connection. Took about five minutes to do the unlock and flash (just Stage 1 for 91). A scary number of chimes and warning messages on the car display while it went, but that's normal and it clears the codes at the end. The tools implementation is top-notch and intuitive. The tune itself is a big improvement over the Dinantronics Sport I had before. Not quite as exciting a kick-in-the-pants when the boost comes in; more of a big-NA-engine feel but still plenty of top end and high-gear pull. It just feels so smooth and eager all the time. I haven't even tried Sport Plus mode yet!
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2018, 10:05 AM   #5
BunkerJ
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jan31 View Post
Don't be afraid! It is really easy and there are plenty of videos and documentation of the install process. On top of that, if anything goes wrong for any reason, PTF is very quick to helping you get out of a pickle.

2013 F30 328i: MHI Big Turbo, GFB DV+, Mishimoto CAI, ER TIC/CP/Catless DP, AWE Touring Quad Exhaust w/ Resonated Midpipe, NGK LI Plugs, BM3 with PTF Stage 2 91 AGG Tune, Fuel-it Stage 2 LPFP, Solowerks S1 Coilovers, and DEPO/M-Sport Retrofit
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2018, 10:08 AM   #6
rjd_F30
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by simoneves View Post
I did mine on Saturday. It was super-easy. I already had a cable from some coding experiments last year. Registered and paid with PayPal. Just enter your VIN and it presents just what you need for your car. Just make sure your batteries (car and laptop!) are fully charged, and that you have a solid Internet connection. Took about five minutes to do the unlock and flash (just Stage 1 for 91). A scary number of chimes and warning messages on the car display while it went, but that's normal and it clears the codes at the end. The tools implementation is top-notch and intuitive. The tune itself is a big improvement over the Dinantronics Sport I had before. Not quite as exciting a kick-in-the-pants when the boost comes in; more of a big-NA-engine feel but still plenty of top end and high-gear pull. It just feels so smooth and eager all the time. I haven't even tried Sport Plus mode yet!
I made the same switch as you and had the same impression. It now feels like an NA straight six rather than a turbo 4. Really a great improvement. I'm working out some issues with my HPFP right now, but other than that BM3 is excellent and very doable by yourself.

simoneves Have you run any logs yet? I would love to look at your logs and compare to mine, because besides us I haven't found any other active members on here running BM3 stage one.
      05-16-2018, 10:13 AM   #7
BunkerJ
Colonel
Rep

Yeah, you guys aren't going to get the same kick because you're on stage 1. The Dinan S+ added 4PSI, where Stage 1 BM3 adds about 2PSI, but gets more power from other areas like timing, fuel, etc. Trust me, if/when you go to Stage 2, you'll get that rush.

Appreciate 0
      05-16-2018, 10:47 AM   #8
rjd_F30
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunkerJ View Post
Yeah, you guys aren't going to get the same kick because you're on stage 1. The Dinan S+ added 4PSI, where Stage 1 BM3 adds about 2PSI, but gets more power from other areas like timing, fuel, etc. Trust me, if/when you go to Stage 2, you'll get that rush.
Yah, the kick in the face isn't there like it was with Dinan Sport, but the car, in the little I've driven it on the tune while I'm working out the kinks, definitely feels stronger than it did with Dinan. I originally said the difference was slight, but the more I drove it, the additional power feels more and more pronounced.
      05-16-2018, 07:43 PM   #9
CalCarNut
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F36 Jet Black Sport Line

Garage List
You all need some dyno pulls to document the BM3 stage 1 difference...........
      05-16-2018, 07:59 PM   #10
raldenlee
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i M Sport coupe

Yes, please somebody dyno this mod on the n20
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2018, 08:01 PM   #11
rjd_F30
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalCarNut View Post
You all need some dyno pulls to document the BM3 stage 1 difference...........
Sure, you wanna pay for the dyno time Totally kidding, but that's what's stopping me from doing so at the moment. It's not at the top of my priority list right now, but if at some point I feel like spending the money, I will definitely do it.
      05-16-2018, 08:07 PM   #12
fate_f30
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Glacier Silver F30 328i

I have a few questions and hopefully someone can answer them for me.

1. I have the N26 engine. And I'm wondering if anyone has anyone flashed the N26 engine yet? The reason I ask is I connected my car to the bootmod software this evening to download/record my stock tune and when I was searching through software and the OTS maps I could swear I only saw OTS maps for the N20 engine. Did I make a mistake purchasing this? Or would I just flash the N20 tunes?

2. From what I'm reading if the Bootmod Stage 1 OTS map is only giving you a 2lbs boost why couldn't you run the Dinan Sport+ tuner parallel with the bootmod tune to give you added power?

Thanks~
2014 GLACIER SILVER F30 328i * Wheels:18" VMR V801 Titanium Black Shadow * Springs: DINAN 1" Lowering Springs * Tune: BM3 OTS E30/93 OCT * Engine: Evolution Racewerks Catless DP/CP/FMIC * Intake: AWE S-Flo Carbon Fiber Intake * Exhaust: AWE Exhaust Suite + Mid Pipe * Go Fast Bits DV+ Diverter Valve * Plugs: NGK LI Plugs * Lights: Depo Angel Eyes W/ Morimoto HID's * Hood: Seibon Carbon Fiber Hood
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2018, 08:12 PM   #13
rjd_F30
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw_bri_328i View Post

1. I have the N26 engine. And I'm wondering if anyone has anyone flashed the N26 engine yet? The reason I ask is I connected my car to the bootmod software this evening to download/record my stock tune and when I was searching through software and the OTS maps I could swear I only saw OTS maps for the N20 engine. Did I make a mistake purchasing this? Or would I just flash the N20 tunes?

2. From what I'm reading if the Bootmod Stage 1 OTS map is only giving you a 2lbs boost why couldn't you run the Dinan Sport+ tuner parallel with the bootmod tune to give you added power?

Thanks~
1. Once you enter your VIN, the bootmod3 website will only show you tunes available to your car. It should be only showing you N26 maps in the "OTS Maps" screen. It doesn't bother to say what engine they are for for this reason. In other words, once you enter your VIN it will only show N26 tunes, so I don't think you have anything to worry about there.

2. I thought about stacking Dinan Sport+ as a boost controller on top of BM3, but the minimum Dinan Sport+ can do is +2 psi, which would put me at 22psi on completely stock hardware, which I don't really want to do. Then if I went catless DP for example, the new BM3 tune I would flash would adjust to 22 psi. So I didn't really see a need for it.
      05-16-2018, 08:17 PM   #14
fate_f30
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjdnyy224 View Post
1. Once you enter your VIN, the bootmod3 website will only show you tunes available to your car. It should be only showing you N26 maps in the "OTS Maps" screen. It doesn't bother to say what engine they are for for this reason. In other words, once you enter your VIN it will only show N26 tunes, so I don't think you have anything to worry about there.

2. I thought about stacking Dinan Sport+ as a boost controller on top of BM3, but the minimum Dinan Sport+ can do is +2 psi, which would put me at 22psi on completely stock hardware, which I don't really want to do. Then if I went catless DP for example, the new BM3 tune I would flash would adjust to 22 psi. So I didn't really see a need for it.

Thanks for getting back so quick. I'll make sure to confirm what you said in answer (1) before I do anything tomorrow.

I'm seeing some people like the Stage 1 tune over Dinan and some don't. I was hoping to get a bit more of a kick in the face but it's not seeming like Boot is going to do that. Are you happy you switched?
2014 GLACIER SILVER F30 328i * Wheels:18" VMR V801 Titanium Black Shadow * Springs: DINAN 1" Lowering Springs * Tune: BM3 OTS E30/93 OCT * Engine: Evolution Racewerks Catless DP/CP/FMIC * Intake: AWE S-Flo Carbon Fiber Intake * Exhaust: AWE Exhaust Suite + Mid Pipe * Go Fast Bits DV+ Diverter Valve * Plugs: NGK LI Plugs * Lights: Depo Angel Eyes W/ Morimoto HID's * Hood: Seibon Carbon Fiber Hood
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2018, 08:41 PM   #15
rjd_F30
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for getting back so quick. I'll make sure to confirm what you said in answer (1) before I do anything tomorrow.

I'm seeing some people like the Stage 1 tune over Dinan and some don't. I was hoping to get a bit more of a kick in the face but it's not seeming like Boot is going to do that. Are you happy you switched?
Yah, feel free to double check my answer to #1. If the maps say N20 on them, I don't know why they would and I don't think they will, don't flash those on your N26. Otherwise, like I said if they don't have an engine listed next to them and you entered your VIN, you should be good to go.

Everything is subjective of course, but I don't know why anyone would like Dinan Sport over BM3. Dinan sport is great for what it is, but BM3 is hands down a better tune. Smoother, more powerful, and the other features (datalogging, speed limiter removal, custom map configuration etc.) are a great bonus. You will still get a strong kick if you floor the car all the way to kick down, that doesn't change. The difference is when you don't floor it, the power delivery is much smoother than Dinan. The Dinan would give you that kick, albeit a gentle one, at 50% throttle at 3k rpms. The boost came on in a much less refined way, thats the main difference (and BM3 feels a bit more powerful).

So, yah, I'm very glad I switched, BM3 really is great all around.
      05-16-2018, 08:47 PM   #16
fate_f30
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yah, feel free to double check my answer to #1. If the maps say N20 on them, I don't know why they would and I don't think they will, don't flash those on your N26. Otherwise, like I said if they don't have an engine listed next to them and you entered your VIN, you should be good to go.

Everything is subjective of course, but I don't know why anyone would like Dinan Sport over BM3. Dinan sport is great for what it is, but BM3 is hands down a better tune. Smoother, more powerful, and the other features (datalogging, speed limiter removal, custom map configuration etc.) are a great bonus. You will still get a strong kick if you floor the car all the way to kick down, that doesn't change. The difference is when you don't floor it, the power delivery is much smoother than Dinan. The Dinan would give you that kick, albeit a gentle one, at 50% throttle at 3k rpms. The boost came on in a much less refined way, thats the main difference (and BM3 feels a bit more powerful).

So, yah, I'm very glad I switched, BM3 really is great all around.
This is great information. I'm having some issues with my car at the moment when I feel like I'm loosing a lot of power when my car settles in the 2.5 - 3K range in normal cruising and I really need to hammer the pedal to get my turbo to spool up and bring on power once again. It happens in Sport mode and I definitely notice it in Comfort mode. I'm hoping that with Boot it will somewhat even out the power delivery with the mods that I have and if not at least I can log it and send it off to PTF and see what they think.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2018, 09:05 PM   #17
rjd_F30
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
This is great information. I'm having some issues with my car at the moment when I feel like I'm loosing a lot of power when my car settles in the 2.5 - 3K range in normal cruising and I really need to hammer the pedal to get my turbo to spool up and bring on power once again. It happens in Sport mode and I definitely notice it in Comfort mode. I'm hoping that with Boot it will somewhat even out the power delivery with the mods that I have and if not at least I can log it and send it off to PTF and see what they think.
Glad to help

That sounds about right with Dinan sport, as long as that's how the car has always behaved, and assuming you don't feel a loss of power at WOT. Bootmod3 will definitely smooth out the power band. Low end torque and available power in the sub 3k rpm range is definitely improved.

And that's another great thing about BM3. I'm having a small issue with my HPFP spraying at too high of a psi on liftoff, and I sent a support request to PTF along with a log and they are working on it as we speak. They're customer service is top notch.
      05-16-2018, 09:12 PM   #18
fate_f30
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Glad to help

That sounds about right with Dinan sport, as long as that's how the car has always behaved, and assuming you don't feel a loss of power at WOT. Bootmod3 will definitely smooth out the power band. Low end torque and available power in the sub 3k rpm range is definitely improved.

And that's another great thing about BM3. I'm having a small issue with my HPFP spraying at too high of a psi on liftoff, and I sent a support request to PTF along with a log and they are working on it as we speak. They're customer service is top notch.
WOT is great with Dinan gives you a punch but when cruising like I said I feel a lost of power when the car tends to settle (If that makes sense). I'm VERY green when it comes to the stuff (Flash tuning) so I'm just learning as we speak.

I've been following your thread and it seems like PTF is great to work with. I hope everything gets worked out with your car.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2018, 10:23 PM   #19
rjd_F30
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
WOT is great with Dinan gives you a punch but when cruising like I said I feel a lost of power when the car tends to settle (If that makes sense). I'm VERY green when it comes to the stuff (Flash tuning) so I'm just learning as we speak.

I've been following your thread and it seems like PTF is great to work with. I hope everything gets worked out with your car.
Yah, that just sounds like the nature of the Dinan tune then.

Thanks! Me too lol. I'll keep that thread updated as the process rolls along.
      05-17-2018, 09:30 AM   #20
madmortar
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 328i M-Sport

Quote:

Thanks~
Watch this video. I asked the same question and was told no difference between N20 and N26 tunes.

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1489944
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2018, 09:55 AM   #21
BunkerJ
Colonel
Rep

Yes to above. Hold on. The N20 maps shown on your bootmod3 screen are correct. I'll break it down in two sections

1. Difference between the N20 and N26?
--- The N26 is simply the emissions queen of the N20 (SULEV). What does this mean? Well, the N26 has a secondary catalytic converter located just after the downpipe/stock cat. The N26 also has hand selected injectors that have the lowest leakage rate/possibility. It also has a vacuum line that runs from the PCV (located on the top of the engine) to the intake pipe. N20 just vents that air to the atmosphere. There are a few more things, like metal pipes where the N20 has rubber pipes, and so on, but the engines themselves are no different.

2. Maps on BM3 for N20?
--- I'll first start by saying that BM3 will not lead you astray and give you access to a tune that's not for your car. Entering your VIN prevents that, on top of the fact that different tunes have different writing parameters that would be incompatible with your DME.

As for the tunes themselves. N20/6 tunes will appear up to four different ways: N20-PWG-L, N20-PWG-H, N20-EWG-L, and N20-EWG-H. Now again, the N20 and N26 are the same engines with the same parameters and so on. This is why it's labeled as N20, because there is no difference. Your PWG and EWG will be Pneumatic Wastegate and Electric WG. If you're 2013+, you'll have EWG and if you have an N26, you're always EWG. Lastly, the L and H. L means "Low Compression" which means the map is for a 328i. It has a lower compression (10:1) to that of the 320i, which has an 11:1 compression ratio. Thus, the 320i will be the maps that have "H" for "High Compression".

Hopefully that helps you both.

Appreciate 0
      05-17-2018, 10:08 AM   #22
rjd_F30
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunkerJ View Post
Yes to above. Hold on. The N20 maps shown on your bootmod3 screen are correct. I'll break it down in two sections

1. Difference between the N20 and N26?
--- The N26 is simply the emissions queen of the N20 (SULEV). What does this mean? Well, the N26 has a secondary catalytic converter located just after the downpipe/stock cat. The N26 also has hand selected injectors that have the lowest leakage rate/possibility. It also has a vacuum line that runs from the PCV (located on the top of the engine) to the intake pipe. N20 just vents that air to the atmosphere. There are a few more things, like metal pipes where the N20 has rubber pipes, and so on, but the engines themselves are no different.

2. Maps on BM3 for N20?
--- I'll first start by saying that BM3 will not lead you astray and give you access to a tune that's not for your car. Entering your VIN prevents that, on top of the fact that different tunes have different writing parameters that would be incompatible with your DME.

As for the tunes themselves. N20/6 tunes will appear up to four different ways: N20-PWG-L, N20-PWG-H, N20-EWG-L, and N20-EWG-H. Now again, the N20 and N26 are the same engines with the same parameters and so on. This is why it's labeled as N20, because there is no difference. Your PWG and EWG will be Pneumatic Wastegate and Electric WG. If you're 2013+, you'll have EWG and if you have an N26, you're always EWG. Lastly, the L and H. L means "Low Compression" which means the map is for a 328i. It has a lower compression (10:1) to that of the 320i, which has an 11:1 compression ratio. Thus, the 320i will be the maps that have "H" for "High Compression".

Hopefully that helps you both.
There we go, much better explanation than mine. I forgot the maps say N20-E/PWG-L/H My mistake there. But yah, bmw_bri_328i, like Bunker said, if you're seeing them after entering your VIN they're good for your car. I didn't realize the N20 and N26 had the same maps.