F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > AUSTRALIA > AU F30 Pricing
GetBMWParts

05-18-2013, 01:23 AM   #309
KT_F31_EBII
First Time Bimmer
Australia
Rep
Drives: F31 328i M Sport EB II

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonB View Post
When is a 30% discount not a 30% discount? The price off the printed price list seems to be list price and include LCT and GST. When you ask for the dealers best price, they send you their 'revised' pricing, which looks like a 30% or so reduction, but isn't really - it's just the printed BMW price list price, minus LCT and GST which is, of course, added in again later.

I hate these games.
car sales and airline tickets are on the same foot, all the hidden costs (not so hidden after the stamp duty, expensive dealer delivery (include LCT!), LCT, GST, nothing is fixed and standardised. I guess it's the sales world.

One day we hope we can get the pricing reference the same across the world, especially the US pricing vs AU pricing. They should summon the car industry similar to the software from Adobe. How can we pay much more for the base price even excluding LCT and GST compare to the same specification in US.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2013, 06:48 AM   #310
AMJAM
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2013 Alpine 328I MSport

If we didn't pay all the taxes there are actually hidden taxes apart from what you know. Ask your dealer for a look at the Consular Corps pricing its often 50% and all they have is no taxes. It's the government protecting our useless local manufacturers. Given how much tax payer money goes to them it should be mandatory for us to pay 50% less for Holdens
      05-18-2013, 04:54 PM   #311
KT_F31_EBII
First Time Bimmer
Australia
Rep

Well Holden and ford should make better smaller cars not commodore/falcon for the v8 supercars. At least the new commodore gadgets look good but won't help if you are closing plant s and make people redundant
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2013, 10:13 PM   #312
J1n
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: R8 V8 '14

I have given up on the system. Get a good accountant n get it back in tax
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2013, 11:15 PM   #313
SimonB
135 to 335 M Sport to X3 30d M Sport
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 30d, optioned up!

Sorry guys, you've missed my point. Taxes are inevitable - what I am cranky about is the message that a 1-2% discount on a BMW that isn't even a new model (and hence in demand) is the best you will do. Sure, I was suspicious of the apparent 30% drop when I pushed for the 'best price', but why is selling cars different from any other business? Electronics, whitegoods, you should be able to get 5-10% off without even trying, do the car salesmen really think we believe they work on a 5% margin??

Anyway, its all rhetorical, it's just a PITA having to play the game.
      05-19-2013, 12:20 AM   #314
KT_F31_EBII
First Time Bimmer
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by J1n View Post
I have given up on the system. Get a good accountant n get it back in tax
That is what I do as I use my car for business so I can claim the expenses minus lct
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2013, 04:47 AM   #315
jctg
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 328i Sport BSM

Quote:
Sorry guys, you've missed my point. Taxes are inevitable - what I am cranky about is the message that a 1-2% discount on a BMW that isn't even a new model (and hence in demand) is the best you will do. Sure, I was suspicious of the apparent 30% drop when I pushed for the 'best price', but why is selling cars different from any other business? Electronics, whitegoods, you should be able to get 5-10% off without even trying, do the car salesmen really think we believe they work on a 5% margin??

Anyway, its all rhetorical, it's just a PITA having to play the game.
It is not about margin. It is not really valid to compare cars to white goods or electronics considering the huge difference in the number of available sales channels. You could buy the same fridge or tv or washing machine at many different places - perhaps as many as 20. You could buy a new BMW at maybe 3-5 places max.

Less competition means less need to cut into margin whatever it may be.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2013, 05:03 AM   #316
HFW003
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2024 M340i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by jctg View Post
It is not about margin. It is not really valid to compare cars to white goods or electronics considering the huge difference in the number of available sales channels. You could buy the same fridge or tv or washing machine at many different places - perhaps as many as 20. You could buy a new BMW at maybe 3-5 places max.

Less competition means less need to cut into margin whatever it may be.
It's the basics of Economics Simon, supply and demand and from what I understand it is even worse in WA.

I believe there are only two dealers over there and they may even have the same owners?

I have personal experience where I have been able to get much more than a couple of percent off a new car. The benefit I had though mate is that I visited three different dealers and they all wanted to sell me a car.

I also have personal experience similar to yours when I bought my new Harley. There are only a couple of places that sell Harley's and they just don't discount them, simple as that. You can get other things thrown in but they won't discount the bike.

Unfortunately it just what you have to put up with when you are dealing in such a small market and even more so in WA.

Good luck though!

H
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2013, 06:09 AM   #317
SimonB
Australia
Rep

Yeah, thanks guys - I understand all that. Hopefully the final negotiations will result in a few grand off, as intimated.

HFW003, yes, only two BMW dealers in WA and yes, they're both owned by the same person. That said, my experience at Westcoast BMW (the one about an hour north of CBD) on Sat was a good one. Was there for nearly 3 hours.

Last edited by SimonB; 05-19-2013 at 09:33 AM.. Reason: Added BMW dealer info
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2013, 05:53 AM   #318
SimonB
Australia
Rep

Redid my spreadsheet today after Saturdays pricing update from Westcoast. It showed a $4 difference in price between Auto Classic and them. Yes, that was four dollars.
      05-20-2013, 06:24 AM   #319
KT_F31_EBII
First Time Bimmer
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Redid my spreadsheet today after Saturdays pricing update from Westcoast. It showed a $4 difference in price between Auto Classic and them. Yes, that was four dollars.
oh dear...

can we order cars in NZ and 'drive' to AUS if NZ-AU opens up free trade and free import. so much better pricing in NZ than AU.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2013, 05:03 PM   #320
J1n
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: R8 V8 '14

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonB
Lol price fixing
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2013, 07:43 PM   #321
AMJAM
Captain
Australia
Rep

Yeah I would look at reporting to department of fair trading. Failing that buy the car from another state. Bring it back to WA and change the rego. It appears that on the east coast most people seem to be able to achieve at least a $10,000 saving over drive away price. That said there are also a lot of people who if asked to prove what they paid might choose not to if you know what I mean.

I always feel that a 10 to 15% discount on the drive away price is acceptable at this lower level.
      05-20-2013, 07:55 PM   #322
MarkyMarkOz
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: F30 328

Looking at the new 5 series release. I can buy a 535i X-Drive GT in north america for the same price I just paid for a 328i sport with corporate discount :-(
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2013, 08:30 PM   #323
SimonB
Australia
Rep

Whilst, in theory, buying a car in Vic or NSW (if you live in WA) sounds great in theory, apparently it's not as simple as it appears. If you're self funding, it should be easy, but if you're financing it's harder. There are all sorts of statements going around like getting you to sign stat dec's of residency, drivers licenses etc to validate addresses, but that all seems a bit OTT to me. Anyway, when I get my deal done, I will post itemised pricing if it helps anyone else.
      05-20-2013, 10:37 PM   #324
KT_F31_EBII
First Time Bimmer
Australia
Rep

10% for new car is getting rare these days, just ask Rolex if you can score more than 5% off the RRP. most of the stock cars won't have all the features you need and more importantly you want in most cases.

I think it's more important to get a low interest rate than 10% discount. long term wise if you have low interest rate, but slightly higher price will save more money than 10% off but high interest rate.

Pity you can't buy a car like those on sales from US in rolexforums.com with more discount than RRP.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2013, 11:04 PM   #325
jctg
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 328i Sport BSM

I think anywhere around 7-8% off is a good outcome for the buyer. Anything above 10% is extraordinary and I would love to see an invoice to prove it happened.

If there is a pick between saving on the car price or saving on the interest I would pick the car price. I would be happy to lock in a lower purchase price and then refinance 12 months later to get a lower interest rate.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2013, 11:38 PM   #326
HFW003
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

I am happy to prove mine just to show people you can get a discount.

Original quote was $82754 and picked the car up for $74K including free scheduled servicing and iphone clip in adapter.

That's close enough to 10.5% off.

Keep in mind though there are always mitigating circumstances. Thea dealer I bought from had the floor stock and wanted to get rid of it.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf HFW Quotes.pdf (62.0 KB, 679 views)
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2013, 02:24 AM   #327
rjr058
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F30

Quote:
Whilst, in theory, buying a car in Vic or NSW (if you live in WA) sounds great in theory, apparently it's not as simple as it appears. If you're self funding, it should be easy, but if you're financing it's harder. There are all sorts of statements going around like getting you to sign stat dec's of residency, drivers licenses etc to validate addresses, but that all seems a bit OTT to me. Anyway, when I get my deal done, I will post itemised pricing if it helps anyone else.
Hi Simon
Sorry to hear you are not getting much joy from the two dealerships in Perth

When I was in the process of purchasing my BMW, I contacted dealers interstate, QLD were not interested, but NSW and ACT were. I did not have to go down this road as I was happy with the deal I ended up with from WC.

In regards to financing interstate, it should not be a major problem as each dealer Business Manager is keen to do business. They require proof of identity details of residency, which can be your drivers licence for both. If it is a new car they can issue a 28 day temporary permit, but you will still need another permit once you cross the WA border, as it would not be valid in WA. If you have the vehicle freighted it should not be an issue, just arrange a permit in WA in order to get it registered.

I am currently going through this process with a vehicle I am purchasing from a dealer in Melbourne (not a BMW this time). The dealership and Business Manager were keen to do the whole transaction in house.

It is a bit of extra work going through this process, but it gets back to how much you are going to save to determine whether the extra hassle is worth it. I suspect that is how the dealers in Perth look at it.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2013, 05:12 AM   #328
AMJAM
Captain
Australia
Rep

Nice negotiating HFW003 was that two different dealers or the same dealer after negotiating
      05-21-2013, 05:32 AM   #329
HFW003
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMJAM View Post
Nice negotiating HFW003 was that two different dealers or the same dealer after negotiating
Thanks mate, ended up being the same dealer.

Another dealer came back with a price of $71K but the only options the car had were the sunroof and pro nav.

The good thing for me was when I ordered the new one I started at the same price with all options. I took out the DAB and rear blind and just added in the sports seats, suspension and so on.

H
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2013, 02:58 AM   #330
craigpt
Registered
Rep
Drives: Looking to get 3 Series Wagon

First time poster long time reader, I'm now looking at getting 3 Series Touring wagon and since owning a TDI VW I thought I would go for the 318D but after doing a lot of reading on here most people seem to go for the 320I or the 328I.

What are people's reason for going for Petrol ?

My main reason for Diesel is long distance driving fuel economy ?

I have been to a dealer or two and they are not will to share the prices for options which really upsets me as VW show you what extra's cost and u can pick and choose easier based on your budget.

Also if they give you the corporate discount they are not willing to give you anymore off if you pay cash and the two I meet have been very pushy and rude so not going back to them...

Can anyone recommended a good BMW seller I could call who dose not have attitude or is pushy in Sydney ?

Thanks
Appreciate 0