F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > F30 DIYs and Coding Discussions > [90% complete] [USB AND STEREO BT WORKING!] DIY HU_NBT Retrofit
GetBMWParts

10-04-2014, 12:14 PM   #793
vithy
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 F30 328xi

I had my phone plugged in yesterday and I do see it showing on mine. I still haven't updated mine to 53.5. NBT is still on 53.3. Will try to see after update.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terabyte View Post
Hey Vithy

I noticed that not all of Connected App is working.
The "stars" in EcoPro Analyzer donīt work anymore.

They worked before I flashed NBT to newer Version.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2014, 12:22 PM   #794
Terabyte
Private First Class
Austria
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 316d

Maybe a bug in 53.5 hmm
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2014, 11:52 AM   #795
DavidV
Rep
Drives: BMW F31 320d

Hello, I've recently upgraded from S606A Navigation system Business to NBT and everything's fully functional.

The "only" issue is that the FM/AM radio is not working at all, same scenario than upgrading from CIC

@Aritaurus mentioned this

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aritaurus View Post
So it seems like these are the pros and cons of upgrading from various setups.

HU_ENTRY to HU_NBT

Pros

- Bluetooth Antenna is already in the front and does not need to be rewired
- Bluetooth Mic is also in the front so it does not need to be rewired
- USB Cable can be just rotated 180 degrees for correct pinout
- Radio FAKRA connection fits perfectly
- You can use the same CID cable from HU_ENTRY on HU_NBT

Cons

- If you have BKOMBI and not 6WA, you will not be able to get the nav arrows to show up
- You may have issues getting your car to recognize the CIC controller
- You will need to fit a after market GPS antenna and it will be hanging on your dash and thus your GPS reception will not be perfect
- USB port in the arm rest may not charge your device but can be used for media stream

Added Functionality

- Album Cover Art
- Video over USB
- On Board Navigation
- Office
- Extended Bluetooth
- Music storable on HDD
- Additional language support
- Android Support for BMW Apps (Only for 07/13)

HU_CIC to HU_NBT

Pros

- You have a 6WA cluster so nav directions will work and it will fully communicate with NBT as NBT is designed to work with the 6WA cluster
- You have a OEM GPS Antenna so it is guaranteed that you will have the best GPS reception
- USB integration works flawlessly
- You can use your existing CIC controller (No modification necessary)

Cons

- You will need a new CID cable for the new 8.8" screen
- Bluetooth Antenna and AUX are wired to the combox and thus, you will need to run 1 HSD cable and two FAKRA cables to the NBT
- Bluetooth Mic is built into the fibre that connects into the combox via a 16 pin connector so it will be almost impossible to rewire that back to the NBT
- You will need a new MOST that connects your 6WA cluster to the NBT otherwise the trip computer and service intervals will not work.
- Your radio will no longer work as HU_ENTRY has two cables for the radio - AM and FM, CIC only has one
- Sound is not going to work so you will need to plug your amp directly into the fuse box

Added functionality

- Album cover art on stored music on HDD
- Video over USB
- Additional Language Support
- Android Support for BMW Apps (Only for 07/13)
later on he mentioned that Antenna should be change in order to make it functional, by I just can't find more info in the post as he went straight to Satellite radio.

Any further info of how to solve this? Aside from the radio (Which I need) traffic info is sent thorugh FM, so no RTI
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2014, 03:21 PM   #796
shawnsheridan
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Alpina B6 650ix GC

Garage List
CIC has a "Scan Diversity" antennae, so the aerial amplifier is monitoring all signals and sending the best one to the Head Unit via a single aerial wire. NBT has a "Phase Diversity" antennae, so the aerial amplifier is sending both aerial signals to the NBT head-unit, whereby NBT consolidates them for the best possible signal. With NBT, connect the one signal wire to the FM1 (black connector) for best results.

NBT also supplies power to the aerial amplifier via the antennae wires, which coming from CIC is only one instead of the normal 2, so the aerial amplifier is only getting half power, and may need a separate power wire run from quadlock pin 13 to KL30, same as CIC does.

2018 F06 Alpina B6 650ix GC; Space Grey; Vermillion Red Nappa Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant
2017 F15 X5 xDrive50i MSport; Glacier Silver Metallic; Black Dakota Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant; RSE
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2014, 03:41 PM   #797
DavidV
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnsheridan View Post
CIC has a "Scan Diversity" antennae, so the aerial amplifier is monitoring all signals and sending the best one to the Head Unit via a single aerial wire. NBT has a "Phase Diversity" antennae, so the aerial amplifier is sending both aerial signals to the NBT head-unit, whereby NBT consolidates them for the best possible signal. With NBT, connect the one signal wire to the FM1 (black connector) for best results.

NBT also supplies power to the aerial amplifier via the antennae wires, which coming from CIC is only one instead of the normal 2, so the aerial amplifier is only getting half power, and may need a separate power wire run from quadlock pin 13 to KL30, same as CIC does.

Thanks for the info Shawn.

So, I've already hooked the existing antenna to the FM1/AM black one (in fact I've tried both connectors) but almost no reception at all in the two of them...

Just the manual station browsing seems to be able to tune to a very limited number of stations, the auto scan feature that shows all the available ones is not showing any result in any case.

So, making from long to short, my only option with my current HW is to use the black connector and to power up the PIN #13 to continuous positive, right? (or to install the diversity antenna --- no way --- just saw the price tag of the damn antenna )

last noob question where is the best location available to power up the 13th to a KL30 source?
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2014, 03:45 PM   #798
shawnsheridan
General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Yes, you understand correctly. I would add the wire. I am not sure where best to tap KL30, as I have not done my retrofit yet. Hopefully you can determine that and tell me.

2018 F06 Alpina B6 650ix GC; Space Grey; Vermillion Red Nappa Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant
2017 F15 X5 xDrive50i MSport; Glacier Silver Metallic; Black Dakota Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant; RSE
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2014, 03:49 PM   #799
DavidV
Rep

Quote:
Yes, you understand correctly. I would add the wire. I am not sure where best to tap KL30, as I have not done my retrofit yet. Hopefully you can determine that and tell me.

will do it mate, will do it as soon as I find a solution I'll post it.

I've just had a bad idea.... would turning the single antenna connector into a double one with a "Y" fork connector do the trick? it'll send two identical signals to the NBT and the HU will send the "theoretical" power feedback to the antenna, right?
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2014, 03:58 PM   #800
shawnsheridan
General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I'm not sure about that. It may half the power on each branch so that the net power at aerial amplifier is still the same. It might make more sense to add wire from FM2 to aerial antennae, but that is probably a lot more work then getting KL30 to Pin 13.

Appreciate 0
      10-07-2014, 02:52 PM   #801
DavidV
Rep

Quote:
I'm not sure about that. It may half the power on each branch so that the net power at aerial amplifier is still the same. It might make more sense to add wire from FM2 to aerial antennae, but that is probably a lot more work then getting KL30 to Pin 13.

Sorry Shawn... maybe I'm a litlle too cautious but I'm have some concerns of tapping PIN #13 to KL30, as I'm not aware if it may damage the HU in any way.

Because you mean to leave the harness in the same way it is right now, right?

or should the 13th be detached from the NBT side of the harness and then just tapped to KL30 and not to be connected to the NBT?

sorry for being a pain, but the damn HU is kinda expensive and my electronics is 101

I'd rather prefer to have the current OEM antenna, as I'd rather prefer not to install any cheap aftermarket antenna, which is the other option.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2014, 04:28 PM   #802
itwt
Rep
Drives: 316D

Does anyone know the part number for the harness/wire that connects the nbt bluetooth mic and hu_nbt?
According to the wiring diagram the three cables should go to 17, 22 and 33, right?
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2014, 01:13 AM   #803
Terabyte
Private First Class
Austria
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vithy View Post
I had my phone plugged in yesterday and I do see it showing on mine. I still haven't updated mine to 53.5. NBT is still on 53.3. Will try to see after update.
Hey Vithy

Did you make update already?
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2014, 11:14 AM   #804
vithy
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 F30 328xi

Terabyte, I havent had a chance yet. Will let you know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terabyte View Post
Hey Vithy

Did you make update already?
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2014, 01:52 PM   #805
hsalli
Finland
Rep
Drives: 220i F22 -14

My car is F22 03/14. I'm getting F20 screen, nbt unit and normal controller. Now i have ENTRY. USB&AUX at center box....will old usb cable fit without modi to NBT? Is gps-cable coming from shark-antenna? I ordered gps fakra just to be sure. If i have to use it, can i put it under dash? Behind the screen.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2014, 02:13 AM   #806
kitster
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G31 M Sport

I've just left the gps antenna under the dash, had no issues with signal.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2014, 10:15 AM   #807
Terabyte
Private First Class
Austria
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vithy View Post
Terabyte, I havent had a chance yet. Will let you know.
Ok. Thank you

Maybe i will try to VO Code my NBT with Built Date 0712 and look if it works or not.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2014, 04:15 PM   #808
hsalli
Finland
Rep
Drives: 220i F22 -14

Just installed nbt and friend done coding online. Damn it looks soooo much better than basic system. And even hear...why's that? And antenna works fine inside dash.

Appreciate 0
      10-16-2014, 06:58 AM   #809
BeatB
Private First Class
Austria
Rep
Drives: BMW F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsalli View Post
Just installed nbt and friend done coding online. Damn it looks soooo much better than basic system. And even hear...why's that? And antenna works fine inside dash.

i think the nbt unit has a much better digital-to-analog converter (DAC), that is my though why you hear a much better sound.
If you mean radio sound, then maybe you have a digital audio broadcasting tuner instead of the FM radio.

Correct me if i am wrong.

Last edited by BeatB; 10-16-2014 at 09:41 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2014, 02:03 PM   #810
Aarie
Rep
Drives: M-Performance Edition

Hi All,

First of all, I would like to say a very big "thank you" to those members who contributed to this excellent installation and for this great DIY. The advise, help and knowledge is appreciated and I would have not attempted this install if not for this thread.

I will be installing my NBT over the weekend, currently I have an ENET cable and would like to find out which is best version of E-SYS needed for coding. My F30 is a 05/2014 build date.

Currently installed in my F30 is HU_ENTRY with USB, AUX and Bluetooth for handsfree. For now I'm going to install NBT directly without emulator. So firstly I would like to get the existing functions working plus Enhanced Bluetooth. Emulator should arrive in the next few weeks and will then work on the Navi, Voice and Apps.

Wish me luck.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2014, 02:04 PM   #811
shawnsheridan
General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aarie View Post
...I will be installing my NBT over the weekend, currently I have an ENET cable and would like to find out which is best version of E-SYS needed for coding. My F30 is a 05/2014 build date....

Wish me luck.
E-Sys 3.24.3.

Good luck.

Appreciate 0
      10-17-2014, 02:30 PM   #812
Aarie
Rep
Drives: M-Performance Edition

Thanks for feedback, Shawn.

Is it best to purchase on ebay?
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2014, 02:37 PM   #813
shawnsheridan
General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aarie View Post
Thanks for feedback, Shawn.

Is it best to purchase on ebay?
No. The only thing you might need off eBay is an ENET Cable if you do not have one.

PM sent.

Appreciate 0
      10-23-2014, 01:57 AM   #814
ir0n87
Rep
Drives: E92 330d

Hi guys! One question. If I have an F30 with radio professional with USB (white connector) and telematics (green connector) i have to rewire for sure the usb connector, but what about green connector?
I've noticed it has different shape... I can modify it with cutter only or I need to rewire it?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0