F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Unhappy with f30 - big, boring and too comfortable
proTUNING Freaks
Closed Thread

04-29-2013, 11:22 PM   #23
jacar
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 AH3

For HK try this (From the Audio Forum)
Turn ON L7
Treble +1
Bass +3
100Hz --1
200Hz - Flat
500Hz - +1
1KHz - +2
2KHz - -2
5KHz - -1
10KHz - +3
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2013, 11:23 PM   #24
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: various BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkTrigger View Post
Have the PDC but don't trust it with those little concrete blocks. Heard too many horror stories of people reversing and it tearing off their front bumper.
The issue with most parking bumpers is the rebar is not hammered in all the way, leaving a bit sticking through (not flush). This rebar grabs onto bumpers.
      04-29-2013, 11:55 PM   #25
f1rst 1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 x1 & '09 Cayman S

Quote:
The HK audio settings thread is dead. Though I normally listen to XM... .
XM/Sirius broadcasts at a SUPER low bitrate and will probably always sound like crap...
Every car I've owned that has it always sounds much worse than any cd/aux/usb input. Let us know how those EQ settings affect the sound though, it'll be interesting to learn (especially when I get my car to tinker with it's settings)

2013 BMW 335i XDrive M Sport 6spd
Cobb Tuned '09 135i
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2013, 12:02 AM   #26
DarkTrigger
Professional
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i MPPK

LoL, we totally
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2013, 12:04 AM   #27
f1rst 1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 x1 & '09 Cayman S

Quote:
LoL, we totally
lol, ohhh well

2013 BMW 335i XDrive M Sport 6spd
Cobb Tuned '09 135i
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2013, 12:05 AM   #28
DesertSmokeBBQ
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F30 335i M-Sport

Garage List
2013 BMW  [0.00]
Funny, I've had luxury/sport/performance cars for years, everything from 7ers, 6ers, E55/63 and most recently S4 and I've gotta say, this car makes me smile every day. Could it have better fit & finish? Yes. Could it be more firmly planted (less body roll)? Yes. Could it have more torque & HP? Yes. Could more options be standard and the price a fraction of what it is? Yes. Here's the thing, all of those points can be made for just about any car. If you hate it, vote with your wallet and find a new horse, I'm too busy enjoying the Hell out of mine to bitch too much...

Traded 9-1-13 '13 Estoril Blue II F30 - 328i - ZMM - ZPP -ZDY - ZTB - 403 - 465 - 494 - 4DX- LC (Black) - 6NL
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2013, 04:27 AM   #29
Falafel Combo
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 xDrive50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by shag View Post
Go buy a Civic then.

Or maybe an E82?

Seriously thought about an e82. If only it did not look like an ugly chick mobile ...
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2013, 04:31 AM   #30
Falafel Combo
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadZarBMR View Post
Curious - how many times did you test drive the car before ordering? Did you test drive the same line/configuration as ordered? Don't be surprised at the responses on here. This is after all, is an F30 forum. 99.99% of us love our cars.

I test drove the 328i sport line with sport auto. I had the car for almost a week. All the time. You can't say I did not test drive it enough. I did the extended test drive from BMW on Demand. I drove it around 500 miles. I tried the car on all the roads I normally drive, to and from work, errands, highways, all every-day driving conditions. It was fun and shiny at first. I did not think it would get boring as quick.

Logically, I thought well, the 335 has got to be even more fun and more thrill (my car is 335i xDrive). Sigh ...
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2013, 04:32 AM   #31
Falafel Combo
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisny View Post
He's far from the only one on this forum to be dissatisfied with his purchase, several have traded theirs in not long after purchase.

I'm happy with mine, but he's allowed to be unhappy with his.

THANK YOU! That's all.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2013, 04:34 AM   #32
Falafel Combo
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocso1606 View Post
Maybe a mini or fiat would work for you?

Very cute.

I was thinking more along the lines of an e46 M3, Subaru BRZ, Golf GTI, 350/370 Z, Boxter or Cayman? Ya' know ... a real driver's car?

Last edited by Falafel Combo; 04-30-2013 at 04:49 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2013, 04:46 AM   #33
Medal
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3C

Garage List
To the OP:

Its just my two cents but I think your mistake was the auto trans. Before I made my order, I test drove a auto because that seems to be all BMW ever stocks. I found that car fun but by the end of the test drive, while fun, I still found myself thinking some of the things you've said you've felt here with a feeling of "meh."

I quickly realized it felt like a very nice rental vehicle and nothing more, but I also remembered never feeling that way about past four door sedans that I've owned that were manual, and this F30 is wayyy nicer than anything I've owned in the past.

So, back to my original point....it's my opinion that a car meant to be as fun to drive and engaging as the F30 should have nothing short of a manual, which ENGAGES you with the car. I don't know...your post reminded me of my test drive and again why I could never own a auto 3-series or smaller (1-series).

Sucks to hear about your disappointment and hope you in some way can correct it by trading or learn to appreciate the F30 as you purchased it.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2013, 04:47 AM   #34
Falafel Combo
Banned
United_States
Rep

Here are my current and past configs (for those too lazy to click the garage links on the left). Seriously.

e46 330xi, Sport package, Premium Package, Cold Weather Package, 6MT

e90 330i Sport package, Premium Package, Cold Weather Package, 6MT

f30 335i xDrive, M Sport, Sport Auto, Dynamic Handling, Technology, Premium, Driver Assist, Driver Assist Plus, Cold Weather, HK sound, ...

Appreciate 0
      04-30-2013, 04:54 AM   #35
Medal
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3C

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by KORALLROT View Post
Here are my current and past configs (for those too lazy to click the garage links on the left). Seriously.

e46 330xi, Sport package, Premium Package, Cold Weather Package, 6MT

e90 330i Sport package, Premium Package, Cold Weather Package, 6MT

f30 335i xDrive, M Sport, Sport Auto, Dynamic Handling, Technology, Premium, Driver Assist, Driver Assist Plus, Cold Weather, HK sound, ...

I think this reinforces my points....both your previous cars where 6MT
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2013, 05:13 AM   #36
Falafel Combo
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medal View Post
To the OP:

Its just my two cents but I think your mistake was the auto trans. Before I made my order, I test drove a auto because that seems to be all BMW ever stocks. I found that car fun but by the end of the test drive, while fun, I still found myself thinking some of the things you've said you've felt here with a feeling of "meh."

I quickly realized it felt like a very nice rental vehicle and nothing more, but I also remembered never feeling that way about past four door sedans that I've owned that were manual, and this F30 is wayyy nicer than anything I've owned in the past.

So, back to my original point....it's my opinion that a car meant to be as fun to drive and engaging as the F30 should have nothing short of a manual, which ENGAGES you with the car. I don't know...your post reminded me of my test drive and again why I could never own a auto 3-series or smaller (1-series).

Sucks to hear about your disappointment and hope you in some way can correct it by trading or learn to appreciate the F30 as you purchased it.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I think you are partially right. Part of me is just very nervous to replace this car with another MT f30, that bores the hell out of me again. Can't quite pin point whether it's the car or the transmission. The car itself is quite large, steering is not very precise nor good and overall the ride is just too cushy (even in sport). Maybe it's the xDrive suspension + auto that I'm not happy with? Anyway, I digress.

Kind of confused now. But yes, you are correct. A big part of my dissatisfaction is likely from the auto trans. What can a guy do! Just trying to make my wife happy. Maybe it's just easier to teach her MT? She only drives the car a few times out of the whole year. The rest of the year, I'm stuck with the auto.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2013, 06:03 AM   #37
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

Quote:
Anyone else out there think this car is seriously dull? Powerful, good looking, fast ... But boring as heck?

Maybe I made the mistake of getting the auto trans (I've always had MT prior to this one)?

Anyway, very un-satisfied right now. Seriously thinking about something smaller, sporty and fun to drive. This one does not fit the bill.

+ 1000

I had a feb '12 F30 335i 6MT sport. Same story plus some noise/tyre/electrical issues. It was my 9th BMW. i went back to a 1M back in december 2012.
Best choice I ever made in my carlife.

F30 is a big 'comfy' and NOISY elephant imho. Hate to say it....

Cheers
Robin
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2013, 06:49 AM   #38
ft1338
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: None

Quote:
Anyone else out there think this car is seriously dull? Powerful, good looking, fast ... But boring as heck?

Maybe I made the mistake of getting the auto trans (I've always had MT prior to this one)?

Anyway, very un-satisfied right now. Seriously thinking about something smaller, sporty and fun to drive. This one does not fit the bill.

Looks like you should get an STI or something like that. F30 is not just a sports car, it has many attributes some of us are actually looking for. It's a well-rounded car. If I had wanted a purely sports car I would go for something very different.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2013, 07:02 AM   #39
Vitoco
Infidel
Rep
Drives: iX3 LCI M Pro Carbon B

Quote:
Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I think you are partially right. Part of me is just very nervous to replace this car with another MT f30, that bores the hell out of me again. Can't quite pin point whether it's the car or the transmission. The car itself is quite large, steering is not very precise nor good and overall the ride is just too cushy (even in sport). Maybe it's the xDrive suspension + auto that I'm not happy with? Anyway, I digress.

Kind of confused now. But yes, you are correct. A big part of my dissatisfaction is likely from the auto trans. What can a guy do! Just trying to make my wife happy. Maybe it's just easier to teach her MT? She only drives the car a few times out of the whole year. The rest of the year, I'm stuck with the auto.
That probably is your biggest problem; with the xDrive you don´t get the lower and stiffer M supsension so of course you´re geting more body roll and a too comfortable ride. Only difference you get in sport vs. comfort is just some added weight to the steering, no stiffness to the body whatsoever... And as said, I bet the auto trans doesn´t do it for you either.

Trade it.

Former: Glacier Ag. F31 328iA RWD M Sport oct. 2012, sold July 2022
| Sport Automatic | Adap. M Susp. | Pano. Moonroof | 20" ATS Racelight Grey w. Michelin PSS| M Sport brakes | Harman Kardon | Elec. Seats | PDC F&R | ACC Stop&Go | 335i MPE | Perf. Parts |
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2013, 07:36 AM   #40
KellerKiller
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i M, EBII, mit alles

Quote:
Thanks! I'll try those settings out when I get my car back.

Also, yea I mean the parking bumpers, I always gotta be so careful with those! Then those side view cameras are really useless to me. (Need front bumper cam)
Quote:
Originally Posted by claykin View Post
Side view will likely show the parking bumper next to your spot, but not the one in front of you. Surround view camera option really needs a second cam in mirrors facing toward front of car as well as a front bumper cam (just like the reversing cam)

Do you have PDC? Seems to work OK for many parking bumpers. You just need to inch into the spot and allow it a second or two to respond.
Quote:
Have the PDC but don't trust it with those little concrete blocks. Heard too many horror stories of people reversing and it tearing off their front bumper.
Nothing is a good substitute for adequate driving and parking skills or spatial recognition. However, when you do nose in to park, the top view has a stripe at the front of the car that turns red before your nose gets to the curb. I've tested it pretty thoroughly and it seems to work on most, if not all size curbs. But, as the disclaimer says, never rely only on the cameras and sensors.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2013, 07:37 AM   #41
Nedmundo
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: Acura TSX, 2010, 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitoco View Post
That probably is your biggest problem; with the xDrive you don´t get the lower and stiffer M supsension so of course you´re geting more body roll and a too comfortable ride. Only difference you get in sport vs. comfort is just some added weight to the steering, no stiffness to the body whatsoever... And as said, I bet the auto trans doesn´t do it for you either.
I also think it's probably the xDrive, which definitely adds body roll and float relative to the RWD Sport Line, even when the xDrive has M-Sport pkg. But, having driven 328i's in both configurations (with 6MT on the RWD), and both in sport mode, I was similarly underwhelmed. Almost all if my disappointment comes from the lifeless steering. I'd also like to hear and feel the engine a bit more, but at least that can be addressed with a sports exhaust. I thought the RWD Sport Line withe 6MT was excellent otherwise, but numb, disconnected steering defeats much of the purpose I'd have in getting a BMW.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2013, 07:39 AM   #42
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: various BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitoco View Post
Only difference you get in sport vs. comfort is just some added weight to the steering, no stiffness to the body whatsoever... And as said, I bet the auto trans doesn´t do it for you either.

Trade it.
OP has DHP, so he does get suspension stiffening when switching into Sport/Sport+ modes. At least the non XDrive does.
      04-30-2013, 07:47 AM   #43
Vitoco
Infidel
Rep
Drives: iX3 LCI M Pro Carbon B

Quote:
Originally Posted by claykin View Post
OP has DHP, so he does get suspension stiffening when switching into Sport/Sport+ modes. At least the non XDrive does.
But not enough. I have DHP, and the difference is big between the modes. But even in comfort I can sense it working when quickly changing lanes at highway speeds etc.

Former: Glacier Ag. F31 328iA RWD M Sport oct. 2012, sold July 2022
| Sport Automatic | Adap. M Susp. | Pano. Moonroof | 20" ATS Racelight Grey w. Michelin PSS| M Sport brakes | Harman Kardon | Elec. Seats | PDC F&R | ACC Stop&Go | 335i MPE | Perf. Parts |
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2013, 11:20 AM   #44
jacar
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 AH3

I had an E90, a little small, too stiff suspension. New F30 is perfect for me-just the right size, ability to have softer ride or stiffer with a button push.
But I'm in my 50's, a sports sedan is perfect. If I was younger I'd probably want something a little smaller, sportier. In my case, the F30 grew into the perfect car, in the OP's case it grew away and he might be happier in a sports car-1 series BMW, Porsche Cayman, etc.
BMW has followed the tried and true method that all car companies do-get you hooked on a car when you are young and grow/evolve the car with you so that you stick with it-of course they lose the younger ones so they come out with a new car for them, the 1 series. 30 years from now someone will have the same post about the 1 being big and boring and by then there will be the .5 or whatever that will be the new small sports car. And the cycle repeats itself. Same thing with the 5 series, it is now what the 7 used to be, people like me that used to buy 5's buy 3's.
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread