F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > New BMW 3 Series F30 Climate Control Uses Advanced Thermal Management
ARMA SPEED

02-20-2012, 08:31 AM   #1
Jason
Administrator
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Post New BMW 3 Series F30 Climate Control Uses Advanced Thermal Management

BIMMERPOST NEWS
New BMW 3 Series F30 Climate Control Uses Advanced Thermal Management
COMMENTS
Name:  P90090505.jpg
Views: 29835
Size:  47.8 KB

New automatic climate control in the BMW 3 Series operates using advanced thermal management.

Increased interior comfort thanks to improved air quality, better fuel economy through intelligent control.

München.
For a long time, motorists regarded air conditioning merely as a guarantee of a cool workplace when behind the wheel. During the early 1980s, the optional extra was predominantly ordered as protection against the midsummer heat inside the car, true to the motto: the heat has to stay out, irrespective of how hot the sun is. The greater the “refrigerator feeling” experienced by occupants was, the more effective an air conditioning system was considered to be.

However, over the years, consumers have changed their attitude and the demands on interior climate comfort have increased significantly. Whether in extreme heat, heavy rainfall or severe cold, a cosy interior climate has become a must.

In the case of the new BMW 3 Series, air conditioning experts go even a step further, as particularly good air quality is also crucial for best possible interior climate comfort.

Besides automatic air circulation control, which is activated for instance in increased concentrations of fine particulate and exhaust gases in tunnels or behind HGVs, the standard air conditioning unit featured in the new BMW 3 Series employs an additional filter system that also becomes effective when switched to the air circulation mode.

As a result, unpleasant environmental odours such as those sometimes experienced in industrial areas or in the streets of large cities are almost entirely eliminated. The perfect interaction between the automatic air circulation control and the filter system noticeably enhances air quality inside the BMW 3 Series. Even when the air conditioning is not in use, the additional filter remains active.

When opting for a two-zone automatic climate control system, both the driver and the front seat passenger are able to set the desired temperature for their seat area individually and according to preference. The temperature of the air leaving the air vents as well as the amount and distribution of air are automatically regulated. Depending on intensity and radiation angle of the sun, the automatic climate control system adapts its degree of effectiveness (solar compensation) and individually adjusts the interior temperature to the desired level on both the driver and front seat passenger sides. Additional air vents, likewise variably adjustable and located in the rear compartment, ensure that backseat passengers are also able to enjoy a pleasant interior climate. In order to avoid fogged-up windows, particularly during the cold and damp season, the new BMW 3 Series is also equipped with an automatic sensor-controlled anti-fogging function, which intervenes by means of targeted ventilation as soon as visibility is restricted.

After a frosty night or when it is bitterly cold, the new climate control system quickly generates a remarkably high heat output. Within the defrosting area of the windscreen, the field of vision is evenly defrosted only shortly after a cold start. The increased heating performance is of particular benefit to customers in Scandinavia, as temperatures there often drop below minus 20 degrees in the winter. Even in temperatures as low at that, the two-zone automatic climate control system featured in the BMW 3 Series ensures that the car is cosy and warm within the foot and head areas after around ten minutes, and that includes the rear compartment.

Each air vent of the automatic climate control system is controlled by a compact and centrally located flap mechanism, rendering additional stepper motors unnecessary. This all results in a saving of weight and space beneath the dashboard. Thanks to the compact design of the automatic climate control system, it is possible for the first time to offer the new BMW 3 Series with Head-Up Display – a new feature in the premium middle class. Furthermore, in this way, space has been created in the centre console for two cupholders.

Within the framework of EfficientDynamics measures, BMW engineers paid special attention to improving the fuel consumption of the new BMW 3 Series. When the driver switches to the ECO PRO mode, the new automatic climate control system operates using an optimised heating/climate strategy. Without any noticeable loss in comfort, fuel-efficiently is enhanced through reduced air-drying and cooling in the interior as well as through the intermittently deactivated air-conditioning compressor.

In BMW’s own environmental wind tunnel, engineers are working intensively on additional fuel savings and further optimisation of in-car climate comfort. In this facility, it is possible to simulate every climate zone on the planet, highly efficiently and within the shortest time. There, mainly cold starts and de-icing tests are carried out under the most extreme conditions. The aim of BMW developers is to further shorten the engine warm-up phase, as higher temperatures reduce friction, which in turn facilitates lower fuel consumption and emission levels - totally in keeping with the BMW EfficientDynamics philosophy.

Appreciate 0
      02-20-2012, 08:36 AM   #2
cstavaru
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i M Sport Sedan 6MT

It's a good thing. My e90 has poor rear windscreen defrosting ability.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2012, 12:08 PM   #3
DrivenByE30
Brigadier General
France
Rep
Drives: '12 F30 Lux 335i 6MT

I love the new design of the intergrated central panel!

it's beautiful like a work of art...
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2012, 12:36 PM   #4
Zebra99
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 335is E93

Garage List
I can't say I love the new 3series interior dash design, however the capabilities of the new vehicle is impressive.

Say hello to higher maintenance costs
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2012, 12:40 PM   #5
Frosty
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M240i - 2021 - 6MT -

...well described... BMW has always had (imho) an elegant dash... im curious to see how the stand up NAV and the additional swoop of passenger dash look in person...

~Frost
Prelude (5MT) (1995)
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2012, 12:43 PM   #6
AW128i
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E82 N51

The article makes it seem like the F30 climate control is all-new, but other than a couple small tweaks, it seems almost identical to what's featured in the later model E9X cars. Maybe I'm missing something??
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2012, 01:04 PM   #7
justinnum1
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 330i Msport 6mt

Im just happy the placement is higher, i always thought the placement for ac controls was to low in the e90
      02-20-2012, 01:08 PM   #8
syenisch
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i Gran Coupe

Someone enlighten me... When is a good time to have the climate control unit set to bring in outside air? If the AC is on, it is much more efficient with it recirculating cabin air. If I want outside air, I crack a window or the sunroof. If I have the windows shut and have it set to bring in outside air through the vents, it gets stuffy no matter the conditions outside. What am I missing? :
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2012, 01:15 PM   #9
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by AW128i View Post
The article makes it seem like the F30 climate control is all-new, but other than a couple small tweaks, it seems almost identical to what's featured in the later model E9X cars. Maybe I'm missing something??
They are different

E90 used integrated heating or Air conditioning regulation (IHKR)
F30 uses a integrated heating and air conditioning system (IHKA)

With IHKR the air duct temperature was set to the requested level
With IHKA the air duct temperature will be varied by the control system to get the correct temperature at the temperature sensors in the cabin

IHKA also moves the control unit away from the dial to the climate unit itself and can also be controlled for ECO mode driving
      02-20-2012, 01:28 PM   #10
bimmer_335
Major
Rep
Drives: 540 mSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by syenisch View Post
Someone enlighten me... When is a good time to have the climate control unit set to bring in outside air? If the AC is on, it is much more efficient with it recirculating cabin air. If I want outside air, I crack a window or the sunroof. If I have the windows shut and have it set to bring in outside air through the vents, it gets stuffy no matter the conditions outside. What am I missing? :
When your other half is worried about her updo... and yells at you as soon as your lower the window, hit that button and you're all set....
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2012, 01:28 PM   #11
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by syenisch View Post
Just using the inside air should cool the car sown quicker.

Setting it to let in outside air will let fresh air with oxygen in through the carbon activated filter. This filtered air should be much better for you than opening the window and letting unfiltered air in.

Dont know how it can become stuffy when you let fresh air in. Sure you arent using the controls backwards ?

I just usually leave it in Auto so the vents close if there is something nasty like diesel fumes from the cart in front in the air. Else they are open
      02-20-2012, 01:46 PM   #12
Frosty
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M240i - 2021 - 6MT -

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90Fleet View Post
Just using the inside air should cool the car sown quicker.

Setting it to let in outside air will let fresh air with oxygen in through the carbon activated filter. This filtered air should be much better for you than opening the window and letting unfiltered air in.

Dont know how it can become stuffy when you let fresh air in. Sure you arent using the controls backwards ?

I just usually leave it in Auto so the vents close if there is something nasty like diesel fumes from the cart in front in the air. Else they are open
..interesting.. for some reason my E92 does not seem to be triggered to recirculate when encountering diesel fumes etc.... not sure how that particulate sensor works.. if I have one ~Frost
Prelude (5MT) (1995)
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2012, 02:21 PM   #13
Yobyot
Major
Rep
Drives: MY19 X3 M40i

Quote:
They are different

With IHKA the air duct temperature will be varied by the control system to get the correct temperature at the temperature sensors in the cabin

IHKA also moves the control unit away from the dial to the climate unit itself and can also be controlled for ECO mode driving
Hmmm....two things spring to mind reading this.

First, only BMW would issue a press release extolling their climate control systems and the engineering in them. It's one reason I love the brand. This stuff matters to me...believe it or not, an advanced climate control system is one reason I would buy a car.

Second, early reviews of the E90 mentioned issues with the air conditioning in hot US climates. I remember reading about the a/c "struggling" to keep up with the heat. However, BMW only talks about warming the car in Scandinavia in about ten minutes. I wonder if they are addressing two issues (cooling capacity and warm-up time) in the F30's system.

I must say that the most brilliant winter feature in my E90 is the heated seats. They must be nuclear-powered; they are warm before I leave the garage. No other car I've ever owned has seats that warm as quickly. I hope that's the same in my F30 -- though I won't know until next October.

Last edited by Yobyot; 02-21-2012 at 10:58 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2012, 02:41 PM   #14
PrinceBarin
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F82 CP (sold)

I just love this kind of stuff. More please!
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2012, 02:45 PM   #15
AW128i
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E82 N51

Quote:
They are different

I don't know anything about IHKR vs. IHKA, but I respectively disagree with your statement that the E9X system sets the duct temperature to the user-selected temperature. The temp of the air coming out of the ducts will vary depending on user-selected temp, cabin temp, and info received by the photo sensor on the dash. That is, the air coming out of the ducts may be warmer or cooler than the user-selected temp, depending on what the cabin temp is and what the photo sensor is reading. If the system functioned as you described, the air coming out of the vents would always be a constant temperature (user-selected), which it definitely is not. In addition, this would render a cabin temp sensor unnecessary, and the E9X system has one (located on the front of the HVAC control panel).

I see you're located in South Africa. Perhaps you have different versions of the climate control than that which we receive here in the U.S.? Also, are we both referring to the fully automatic system as found on U.S. cars?
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2012, 03:04 PM   #16
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep

Quote:
I don't know anything about IHKR vs. IHKA, but I respectively disagree with your statement that the E9X system sets the duct temperature to the user-selected temperature..

I see you're located in South Africa. Perhaps you have different versions of the climate control than that which we receive here in the U.S.? Also, are we both referring to the fully automatic system as found on U.S. cars?
Its straight from the BMW technical manual for the US F30.

The explanation is a bit simplified here though

Last edited by E90Fleet; 02-20-2012 at 03:25 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2012, 03:22 PM   #17
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep

Even if we forget about the duct system there are differences

The new system has a "cold accumulator" so the system can keep cooling the car when the engine id off with stop/start

The new system has the microfilter after the fan, so it filters teh air even on re-circulation and reduces changes for odor

The new system now evaluates rear seat ventilation

The main interior sensor is digitized and requires no fan to draw air over it

There are some big weight savings and far less stepper motors

Last edited by E90Fleet; 02-20-2012 at 03:27 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2012, 03:27 PM   #18
Morning Hawk
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Subaru R2

Can anyone tell me what that little button below the "Mode" button does?
It has a picture of two cars head-to-toe with a wifi signal next to it...
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2012, 03:30 PM   #19
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morning Hawk View Post
Can anyone tell me what that little button below the "Mode" button does?
It has a picture of two cars head-to-toe with a wifi signal next to it...
Its to switch the traffic report function of the RDS radio on or off
Its not found in USA cars. They have a AM/FM button there

http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=646379
      02-20-2012, 04:31 PM   #20
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
I don't know anything about IHKR vs. IHKA, but I respectively disagree with your statement that the E9X system sets the duct temperature to the user-selected temperature. The temp of the air coming out of the ducts will vary depending on user-selected temp, cabin temp, and info received by the photo sensor on the dash. That is, the air coming out of the ducts may be warmer or cooler than the user-selected temp, depending on what the cabin temp is and what the photo sensor is reading. If the system functioned as you described, the air coming out of the vents would always be a constant temperature (user-selected), which it definitely is not. In addition, this would render a cabin temp sensor unnecessary, and the E9X system has one (located on the front of the HVAC control panel).

We've had IHKA fully automatic systems in the E90/1/2/3 range since the launch in 2005, Europe and US.

Although improved, the F30 system is only 'tweaked', doesn't sound as if it is much more advanced in many ways, than the older IHKA system.

HighlandPete

Last edited by HighlandPete; 02-20-2012 at 04:37 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2012, 04:37 PM   #21
svache
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 328i

Garage List
I'm a bit confused.. so what exactly is new here? From what I read, I don't see much difference with what I currently have in my '09 X5?

Note: Many PM me for links to the software needed to code. Please note that I do not have download links to this software. Your best bet is using the search function in the coding thread
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2012, 04:47 PM   #22
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by svache View Post
I'm a bit confused.. so what exactly is new here? From what I read, I don't see much difference with what I currently have in my '09 X5?
Its not new to BMW, its roots go back to the F01 7 Series
Its a updated system for the 3 Series, reducing space used and weight thus allowing things like space for the HUD.

The X5 system is much more complex as its a bigger car and can have 4 zone settings