F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > ASS and break in period
Studio RSR

12-05-2012, 10:45 AM   #1
Lakers0824
Rep
Drives: 2013 AW 328i M-Sport

ASS and break in period

Hey guys I apologize if this has been asked before but is it okay to use the ASS function during the break in period?
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2012, 10:52 AM   #2
howiegu
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 22%E2%80%99 M440

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakers0824
Hey guys I apologize if this has been asked before but is it okay to use the ASS function during the break in period?
Yes. You need to break in that ASS
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2012, 10:53 AM   #3
Roki_014
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 i5 M60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakers0824 View Post
why would you use the ass in the first place, its such a useless feature, its just not good for the car imo, just try turning on/off your current car at every light and see how u feel about it, plus I doubt you would be saving any gas money because of it
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2012, 11:48 AM   #4
Cyberdemon
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i, 2018 M3 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roki_014 View Post
why would you use the ass in the first place, its such a useless feature, its just not good for the car imo, just try turning on/off your current car at every light and see how u feel about it, plus I doubt you would be saving any gas money because of it
The amount of factual information in your post is highly useful.

There are no issues with using the ASS during break in.
      12-05-2012, 11:54 AM   #5
Lakers0824
Rep

^i see your point but I guess I'm part of the select few that actually likes the feature lol. But I have to say that I'd rather have it off by default then turn it on when I want it on, versus the other way around...still trying to find dealers that'll code it for me.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2012, 12:20 PM   #6
BMWFanatic2008
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 6MT

I find this feature useful for regular stop light stops. On the other hand, it quickly gets annoying in slow moving traffic or parking.
      12-05-2012, 05:53 PM   #7
Tsuvoi
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 328i

Quote:
Trust me I use that ass every opportunity I can, and I'm not trying to save any gas at all. Actually quite the opposite to the dismay of my passengers...
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2012, 12:38 PM   #8
roundabout
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWFanatic2008 View Post
I find this feature useful for regular stop light stops. On the other hand, it quickly gets annoying in slow moving traffic or parking.
I find it useful in 2/6 stops for my daily commute. Nevertheless, I do plan to leave it on

The followup question is I can rarely disable it temporarily with bake pedal technique mentioned in the manual. Especially if I am coasting to a stop.

However I have good results if I 'wiggle' the steering before I stop
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2012, 12:46 PM   #9
wdlv
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i M Sport

I believe ASS is mainly meant to reduce carbon emissions. However, I do leave it on all the time, I like it for city driving (traffic lights, etc.) but hate it when stuck in traffic jams where I will typically switch it off.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2012, 01:18 PM   #10
The X Men
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by roundabout View Post
I find it useful in 2/6 stops for my daily commute. Nevertheless, I do plan to leave it on

The followup question is I can rarely disable it temporarily with bake pedal technique mentioned in the manual. Especially if I am coasting to a stop.

However I have good results if I 'wiggle' the steering before I stop
Pushing the brake pedal hard as descride in the manual doesnt work for me either. Is the wiggle the steering wheel procedure from the manual? I have never heard of that one. I know that when ASS kicks in, you can turn the steering wheel and the engine will start.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2012, 01:39 PM   #11
roundabout
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by The X Men View Post
Pushing the brake pedal hard as descride in the manual doesnt work for me either. Is the wiggle the steering wheel procedure from the manual? I have never heard of that one. I know that when ASS kicks in, you can turn the steering wheel and the engine will start.
Not from the manual If there movement in the steering as I come to stop I discovered that ASS does not kick in.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2012, 02:56 PM   #12
tdizzle
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by roundabout View Post
Not from the manual If there movement in the steering as I come to stop I discovered that ASS does not kick in.
It also turns the car back on if ASS has kicked in to turn it off. I guess they figured if you're turning the wheel that you're about to start moving even if you haven't taken your foot off the break. Regardless, the engine starts up if you turn the wheel a bit.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2012, 05:20 PM   #13
G3333
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: F86 X6M

Quote:
bmw knows more than you do, they dont want leased cars with a function that ruins the car...
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2012, 05:44 PM   #14
The X Men
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i

It still amaze me that in this day and age, people are still in the dark when it comes to new technologies.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2012, 11:43 PM   #15
hans007
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i

im going to get them to code it to save just because i think its stupid it doesnt save the setting.

i dont think its that terrible and i've had my car for just over a week. it doesnt run if the car is still cold, so there is stuff in the car that determines when to run it or not.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2012, 12:29 AM   #16
Adceleratus
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328i M Sport Estoril Blue II

Quote:
Originally Posted by howiegu View Post
Yes. You need to break in that ASS
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2012, 09:07 PM   #17
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by hans007 View Post
im going to get them to code it to save just because i think its stupid it doesnt save the setting.

i dont think its that terrible and i've had my car for just over a week. it doesnt run if the car is still cold, so there is stuff in the car that determines when to run it or not.
As you've discovered it won't shut the engine off under certain circumstances such as when the engine is still cold, as it needs to warm up as quickly as possible for emissions reduction. It won't shut the engine off if the ambient temperature is too hot, or it may restart the engine before you release the brake. It depends on how hot the outside air is. There is a gel in the air ducts that freezes/gets very cold while the AC is running so that when ASS shuts the engine off the air vents keep blowing across the gel to keep cool air coming into the cabin. If the car is still stopped and the gel has warmed, ASS may restart the engine to provide cooling.
If it's too cold outside the same things can happen, as vents will continue to blow warm air until it's exhausted, and if the car isn't moving the engine may restart to provide heat.

IIRC, if the trans is in "manual" mode, ASS won't activate.
ASS may also not activate if the driver mode is in sport+, but I'm not sure about that one.

Seems BMW spent some time working out the little details on implementing ASS.
The part they need to work on some more is with the AT. Once the car comes to a stop there is still load torque being applied to the RWD, and thus there is some compression of the front suspension. When ASS shuts the engine off there is no more torque on the drive line and you can feel the rear suspension drop down. It's an odd sensation.
I don't use ASS, not the BMW type at least.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2012, 09:11 PM   #18
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
^i see your point but I guess I'm part of the select few that actually likes the feature lol. But I have to say that I'd rather have it off by default then turn it on when I want it on, versus the other way around...still trying to find dealers that'll code it for me.
Take it to the dealer you purchased from.
It's a free update from BMW. As you know, once they code it the system defaults to the "last used" setting of on or off.

Tidbit: If you engage "eco pro" mode at any time while driving, ASS will activate and will stay active until the driver turns it off, even if you change driver modes ASS will remain active.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2012, 09:17 PM   #19
DarkTrigger
Professional
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i MPPK

Get it coded. Comes with a nice update to the rest of the programming too. From what the dealer told me, an update normally costs money but this is a one time only freebee.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2012, 11:12 PM   #20
Decepax
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i xDrive; Z4; X3

I have found that my ASS will disable if after coming to a stop I let up slightly on the brake. I have not had success with pressing harder on the brake as the manual states.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2012, 01:45 AM   #21
Lakers0824
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90
Quote:
Take it to the dealer you purchased from.
It's a free update from BMW. As you know, once they code it the system defaults to the "last used" setting of on or off.

Tidbit: If you engage "eco pro" mode at any time while driving, ASS will activate and will stay active until the driver turns it off, even if you change driver modes ASS will remain active.
As soon as I bought the car I asked the guy I was dealing with if they could code the ASS, but he had no clue about it. Maybe I should talk to someone else
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2012, 02:03 AM   #22
hans007
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90 View Post
As you've discovered it won't shut the engine off under certain circumstances such as when the engine is still cold, as it needs to warm up as quickly as possible for emissions reduction. It won't shut the engine off if the ambient temperature is too hot, or it may restart the engine before you release the brake. It depends on how hot the outside air is. There is a gel in the air ducts that freezes/gets very cold while the AC is running so that when ASS shuts the engine off the air vents keep blowing across the gel to keep cool air coming into the cabin. If the car is still stopped and the gel has warmed, ASS may restart the engine to provide cooling.
If it's too cold outside the same things can happen, as vents will continue to blow warm air until it's exhausted, and if the car isn't moving the engine may restart to provide heat.

IIRC, if the trans is in "manual" mode, ASS won't activate.
ASS may also not activate if the driver mode is in sport+, but I'm not sure about that one.

Seems BMW spent some time working out the little details on implementing ASS.
The part they need to work on some more is with the AT. Once the car comes to a stop there is still load torque being applied to the RWD, and thus there is some compression of the front suspension. When ASS shuts the engine off there is no more torque on the drive line and you can feel the rear suspension drop down. It's an odd sensation.
I don't use ASS, not the BMW type at least.

the rear suspension drop down thing i havent really noticed. the only thing that is a little not luxury seeming is that when it starts up again, it is not exactly perfectly smooth.

i dont' know i live in LA. today is friday and i decided to leave work at 6pm (which was earlier than i usually leave) and attempt to make it to my apartment at a reasonable time. i took surface streets and it took 35 min. (the distance was a total of 5.5 miles, and people wonder why no one buys a manual here...)

anyhow, you could easily see how much fuel automatic stop start saves in those conditions. I think its a great technology honestly and plan to use it. I still think its stupid they coded it to not save by default, but yeah there are all sorts of conditions for when it wont do it. it actually flashes a little auto stop start circle crossed out on the dash, when it would have used it but wont use it due to say the engine not being warm yet etc.
Appreciate 0