F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > ASS and break in period
GetBMWParts

12-08-2012, 09:38 AM   #23
g20jprad
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakers0824 View Post
^i see your point but I guess I'm part of the select few that actually likes the feature lol. But I have to say that I'd rather have it off by default then turn it on when I want it on, versus the other way around...still trying to find dealers that'll code it for me.
I like the feature too, except when I'm in traffic. ... I asked the dealer to recode ASS to be "off" by default and they said they could not legally do that.

He explained that when the cars are brought in (to the U.S.) from Germany, the fuel economy posted on the window sticker is based on factory settings w/ the ASS function "on". This implies that the ASS feature does save fuel. Whether or not another dealer is willing to recode is unknown.

Appreciate 0
      12-08-2012, 11:03 PM   #24
azzurro
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by f30jprad View Post
I like the feature too, except when I'm in traffic. ... I asked the dealer to recode ASS to be "off" by default and they said they could not legally do that.

He explained that when the cars are brought in (to the U.S.) from Germany, the fuel economy posted on the window sticker is based on factory settings w/ the ASS function "on". This implies that the ASS feature does save fuel. Whether or not another dealer is willing to recode is unknown.

Dealers can legally code cars now to turn off ASS. BMW relented to allow dealers to do this. I plan on doing this at some point but it takes several hours so for time being hitting the off button isn't that cumbersome. ASS sucks & I hated it the first time renting cars in Europe. For the extra 1 or 2 mpg advantage it's a PITA..
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2012, 09:26 AM   #25
The X Men
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i

I think people are still confused over the reprogramming. ASS cannot be turn off by the dealer, however, it can be program to remember its last state when you turn off the car. With the new programming, it will no longer default on when you turn on the car, but instead, remember its last state.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2012, 09:56 PM   #26
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by The X Men View Post
I think people are still confused over the reprogramming. ASS cannot be turn off by the dealer, however, it can be program to remember its last state when you turn off the car. With the new programming, it will no longer default on when you turn on the car, but instead, remember its last state.
Yes, and I do believe that that is what are referring to when they talk about having the dealer reprogram it.
Those of us who have had our ASS reprogrammed know that we can activate it/on or deactivate it/off.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2012, 02:05 AM   #27
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.

You can have it coded to stay off or remember your last setting by your local coder. Omly thing as stated earlier is that ass is engaged when in eco and it will remember that it was on. Another reason not to use eco pro.
Appreciate 0