F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Jb in a lease bmw?
ARMA SPEED

12-12-2012, 11:20 AM   #23
verbs
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollingHard28 View Post
I talked to a service technician at BMW and straight up asked him if I brought a modded car to them would it be a big deal?

He basically said they do not care about mods when it comes to simple services like oil changes.

So basically if you have your car tuned for a regular service, you should be cool. Just take it off and clear it before taking it for warranty related issues or engine related issues.

I just ordered my JB4, so I am excited to be getting some extra HP out of it.
You might get a different answer talking to your service tech vs. your service advisor vs. the person who makes all the calls warranty issues.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2012, 11:23 AM   #24
verbs
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by omer View Post
You guys make it such a big deal, install the JB and when you take it for service shut it off or leave it on. I have a 2009 335i face lift for almost 3 years and I have the dual cone intake jb3 then went to JB4 also have straight pipe, hid fog lights paint my top of the car black plus other shit. And I bring my car to any dealer for service no one has said shit to me. I'm getting my 2013 335 I M next week after this bitch Sandy came thru and everything is in hold.
Every dealership is different. I got crap from my dealer as a result of my Dinan tune (which is all I had on the car) 4 or so years ago when I had a few things go bad...granted they didn't void my warranty in part because I didn't have any catastrophic failures, but they had on file that I had a tune....so had something happened.....it might have gotten dicey.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2012, 02:49 AM   #25
Cfichman
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Tesla M3P

Garage List
My last car was a leased e90, i had a chip and intake. I would take the tune out when I would go in for warranty claims, and just leave it in bypass mode and clear the codes for regular service. I would only take it out if my fuel pump was failing. The old tunes had CAN capability which allowed you to clear codes without a Bavarian tech tool. The new stage 1 burger tune for the f30 n55 doesn't have CAN capability so you would need a scanner/clearer like the BT. The old tune was 10 times more complicated than this tune so it would be very easy to just take it out for service. Even if you leave it in and they find it they can't just void warrenty, they have to be able to prove what you installed caused damage. Even if you had a tune, got unlucky and blew a turbo or had a major engine issue, take it out clear the codes and take it in. 3lbs of extra boost will only make fail what was going to in 5k miles.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2012, 02:54 AM   #26
Cfichman
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Tesla M3P

Garage List
you have to be cool w your service advisor, throw him 40 bucks, get him a bottle of liqour, it will go a loonnnnggg way especially since you pay nothing for bmw service.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2012, 10:26 AM   #27
verbs
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cfichman View Post
Even if you leave it in and they find it they can't just void warrenty, they have to be able to prove what you installed caused damage.
Actually yes they can. In the U.S., dealers can and do deny warranties as they choose due to people modding cars when something breaks in the car that can possibly be tied to the mods. But you the consumer will have to spend thousands out of your own pocket to sue them under the Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act to fight it to get them to cover it. Is that something you really want to deal with? Oh, and while you're fighting them in court for months, they're not going to fix your car on their dime until ordered to do so....so guess who is going to have to come out of pocket for the repair and legal fees up front? That's you.
Appreciate 0