F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > 3 and 4 Series Ordering / Pricing / Order Tracking Forum (and European Delivery) > ED tips?
proTUNING Freaks

05-14-2014, 01:22 PM   #1
JB991
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 15 Tacoma, 15 Accord, 16 GT3

ED tips?

I've read a few threads, but it seems like there are different thoughts on what you can or can not do, so I'm looking for input from those that actually did a ED to give some thoughts or input.
I plan to drop off in Munich since that is where I am flying in to. Not my first trip to Germany, so I have a few places in mind I'd like to see that I haven't been to.

Plates -- I really want to keep the set. My understanding is that the front plates are stuck on the car with a double sided tape? Easy enough to remove, do I do this as I drive up to drop the car off? Is this something they bust chops about? Take rear plates too?

Washing the car before drop off -- Anyone know a good shop/detail place in Munich to get the car done before I leave it?

Other items -- Anything more in the car that I should be concerned about with ED. My understanding is they give you a triangle and first aid kit? They look for these items upon return as well?

Tips -- While at Welt, any tips or advice anyone can give? I want to do the factory tour, anyone have a good idea of duration for this tour? I have to check in at Welt at 8 AM with a 10:20 delivery.

For anyone who cares or plans to do a delivery at some time in the future, I want it to be known, although I am in Texas, I did my purchase with David Aviles out of CA. Between David and his assistant Vanessa, I could not have asked for a better crew to buy a car from. I know there are plenty that have recommended him, and I'm so glad that everyone on this forum is willing to share positive experiences for others to see and follow. Easy, quick, and damn good pricing!

Any info you guys are willing to share would be appreciated. Thank you in advance!
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2014, 03:52 PM   #2
billiebob
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 328i

Triangle and first aid kit you have to take home in your luggage as they are not us spec items.

Front plate mount we took in luggage too.

Euro license plates I asked for from the shipper at Munich airport and they were left in the car.

I washed the car before driving it to airport but the winter salt and sand made it totally filthy on drop off. No problems.

If you do ED in winter be aware the winter tire rental is expensive, something like 600 used per week and was a pain to coordinate the pickup and drop off. I won't be doing that again. Next ED will be in summer!
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2014, 04:53 PM   #3
reddemon73
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 435

I just did my first ED back on 5/2. I flew into Munich on 5/1 and picked up and drop my car off on the same day. Only put 23 miles on the car but got it up to 115MPH on the Autobahn.

Yes, you do have to take both the triangle and first aid kit with you. You are not allow to take the front and back Euro plates. I am hoping the plates will still remained on the car.

It was a very fun experienced and would recommended to all.

I also got my car with David eventhough I am from Seattle. He was very helpful and would do it again in a heartbeat.

You have have fun on your trip
2014 435i M Sport //AW, CR//premium, tech, lightening pkgs//20% tint//full clear bra//ppk//blk grills//20" Vertini wheels//digital gauge//Apple Carplay//MPE with catted DP//VSRF charge pipe//Wagner FMIC//
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2014, 10:21 PM   #4
reamer
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 35d

Quote:
Originally Posted by billiebob View Post

If you do ED in winter be aware the winter tire rental is expensive, something like 600 used per week and was a pain to coordinate the pickup and drop off. I won't be doing that again. Next ED will be in summer!
I'm setting up my first ED purchase. Planning a late Sept delivery and a drop off Oct 10 give or take.

When do they consider it Winter with regard to tires? Any idea?
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2014, 11:08 PM   #5
huma
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: U11 one day

Could anyone pm Davids contact info? I'm interested in purchasing an ED bmw.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2014, 11:31 PM   #6
DrivenByE30
Brigadier General
France
Rep
Drives: '12 F30 Lux 335i 6MT

Wink

Plates - leave them with the car, you hould be able to get them back. Leave a note by the plates if you are afarid.

I wouldnt worry about detailing before drop off. Unless you are maniac about it, but BMW will detail your car before you get it back...

I had curb rash during the ed, and upon getting the car back, they totally disappeared, same for a couple of dents on doors and fenders...

Plan to spend two days at the welt and museum. The factory tour is about 2Long hours!!! My feet still hurt thinking about it... i guess you will do the factory in the afternoon... but i think the only english session is at 11 or something.You might have to postpone your delivery in the afternoon... i did that, but in retrospective, i think its better to pick up your car in the morning when you are fresh... so dont change your time
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2014, 02:27 PM   #7
JB991
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrivenByE30 View Post
Plates - leave them with the car, you hould be able to get them back. Leave a note by the plates if you are afarid.

I wouldnt worry about detailing before drop off. Unless you are maniac about it, but BMW will detail your car before you get it back...

I had curb rash during the ed, and upon getting the car back, they totally disappeared, same for a couple of dents on doors and fenders...

Plan to spend two days at the welt and museum. The factory tour is about 2Long hours!!! My feet still hurt thinking about it... i guess you will do the factory in the afternoon... but i think the only english session is at 11 or something.You might have to postpone your delivery in the afternoon... i did that, but in retrospective, i think its better to pick up your car in the morning when you are fresh... so dont change your time

Thanks for the info. I think I'm gonna be that guy and pass on the factory tour. Not sure if you can only do it while buying a car, but maybe they'll give me a rain check. I'm in Germany at least once a year, so I can go back. I just want to pick up the car and hit the road as I only have a week and a long driving itinerary ahead of me.

I am pretty anal about the condition/cleanliness of my car, but I guess if they're gonna clean it anyways, it would be worthless to go too crazy as I'll need a proper detail upon US arrival anyways.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2014, 03:21 PM   #8
convert949
Rep
Drives: 2015 F36

Just ordered my 2015 428 GC!. Got a delivery date from my CA of September 8. Asked for written confirmation and CA told me that I would get an email from ED at BMW with details and contact info. Been a few days... Anyone know how long it takes them to respond?
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2014, 07:31 PM   #9
JB991
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by convert949 View Post
Just ordered my 2015 428 GC!. Got a delivery date from my CA of September 8. Asked for written confirmation and CA told me that I would get an email from ED at BMW with details and contact info. Been a few days... Anyone know how long it takes them to respond?
Took them about two weeks to get back to me. Got the email and packet in mail about the same time.
Appreciate 0