F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Maintenance: Wash, Wax, Detailing, Repairs > Protective wax/polish for a new car
proTUNING Freaks

06-12-2015, 03:12 PM   #1
hmk
Rep
Drives: 428i MSport

Protective wax/polish for a new car

Hi Guys,
I'm waiting for my 428i MSport White which expected to arrive next month.
By the way one of my friends suggest me to do immediate wax/polish after taking the car. He said it makes really difference about mud/rain/bugs/etc.

But what I'm afraid of this device:

Sonax had just f*cked up my old VW Polo's paint with the device. Thay said they gave the machine to an unexperienced staff which causes many dots on my hood, big scratches on my door knobs and even on my steering wheel, etc.

They apologised many times but nothing has changed that they f*cked up my car.

So does anyone have any bad experience on this procedure?
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2015, 03:29 PM   #2
rolltidef32
National Championship #17 and Counting!
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW i3s and 2019 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmk
Hi Guys,
I'm waiting for my 428i MSport White which expected to arrive next month.
By the way one of my friends suggest me to do immediate wax/polish after taking the car. He said it makes really difference about mud/rain/bugs/etc.

But what I'm afraid of this device:

Sonax had just f*cked up my old VW Polo's paint with the device. Thay said they gave the machine to an unexperienced staff which causes many dots on my hood, big scratches on my door knobs and even on my steering wheel, etc.

They apologised many times but nothing has changed that they f*cked up my car.

So does anyone have any bad experience on this procedure?
Depends on the orbital used. That one looks like a pro model that's a sander too. Would not use one on my car.

You can polish, clay, then sealant/wax by hand using foam applicators.

The car is new, so shouldn't need one of those anyway unless you're good at it. Just do by hand only going up and down with application, then buff off with microfiber towels.

Packs: Technology, Driver Assistance, HK Audio, Park Distance Control
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2015, 03:30 PM   #3
rolltidef32
Rep

In fact, I posted this to a guy on another BMW forum the other day.

"Complex question here, so I'll try to be short and to the point.

The paint correction process is about 4-5 steps. If you care about preserving the look of your car, these steps are absolutely necessary and none should be skipped. The process will take an entire weekend and can last for 6-8 months.

Your initial investment will vary depending on the quality of products used, some can be cheaper, many need to be of high quality. Cost, between $125-$300.

First, you should visit Autogeek.net. This is where many of us get out detailing products. Site also offers good info for educating yourself.

First purchase, high pile Microfiber towels (10-15). These are washable. Also get a good microfiber wash detergent. Lasts a year usually if you don't go crazy.

Step 1: buy a good car shampoo. I use Chemical Guys Citrus Wash and Shine for deep cleaning (pre-wax/sealant; bugs, tree sap, etc). I use Adams Car shampoo for weekly washes. Suggest a gallon of Adams or whoever, and a small size for a Citrus.

Use 2 bucket washing method. One for soap, one for rinsing towels during wash. If towel gets dirt or drops to ground, do not use again before washing!

For a paint correction, car should be washed at least 3 times. Twice with Citrus, once Shampoo. Dry car well and let sit for at least 2 hrs.

Step 1.2: Clay bar car. Always use a clay bar lubricant. Buy good clay and matching spray. Should last a couple of years. Once you clay, car is bare, so apply polish and sealant/wax immediately!

Step 2: car polish. I use Meguires Deep Shine (Sapphire Black). My F32 is new, so I polished by hand using foam applicators. Many will say buy a $130 Orbital. I didn't and car looks great. Apply car detail 3M tape around windows, lights, symbols, trim. Do not use painters tape!

Apply polish to small areas, then buff with microfiber towels folded 4 ways = 8 sides. Keep using clean sides. Following polish, let car sit for an hour at least, then wash again using car shampoo. Dry and let sit for another 2hrs.

Step 3: Now you're ready for a paint sealant or carnauba wax. I use a sealant since it lasts longer (6 months). I use Wolfgang's High Gloss 3.0. Some love Menzerna Powerlock. Both are great, so are others.

Step 4: Following Sealant; apply Wax. Or skip sealant and just wax. (Lasts for 3-4 months).

Bonus: Use a good quick detailer spray or spray wax after each wash and whenever bird poo hits your car. I use Chemical Guys Hybrid V07. Use sensitive skin wet wipes, then detailer, wipe with microfiber towel only. Keep small bottle of detailer and towel in your trunk.

Big point is to do something. Better products last a long time. 16oz of shampoo should last over a year. Most are concentrated."

Packs: Technology, Driver Assistance, HK Audio, Park Distance Control
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2015, 06:28 PM   #4
CHCCubs
Colonel
Latvia
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 328i xDrive Sport

If you're looking for a polisher that you won't have to worry will damage your paint, try the Griot's Garage random orbital. I had never used a polisher before, but just recently got the Griot's polisher and used it for the first time recently and the car came out great.

http://www.eshine.ca/griots_garage_6..._cord-4100.php

2013 BMW 328i xDrive Sport Line
Mineral Grey on Everest Grey
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2015, 05:22 AM   #5
smithf80
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 6MT

Garage List
2022 G20 330i  [9.00]
2018 F80 M3  [9.75]
I can tell you that Sonax products are excellent, I've never heard of Soanx themselves buffing out a car though.

I would do a spot polish for areas that need it (if the car wasn't detailed by the dealership, otherwise the whole car will most likely need to be corrected) and then seal with Sonax Polymer Net Shield or CarPro Hydro2 (haven't tried it yet but have heard great things).

While rolltidef32 sounds like he knows what he is talking about, the one thing I must contest is polishing by hand. Without a doubt it accomplishes nothing you will never get swirls or micro marring out by hand.
      06-13-2015, 11:20 AM   #6
rolltidef32
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithf32 View Post
I can tell you that Sonax products are excellent, I've never heard of Soanx themselves buffing out a car though.

I would do a spot polish for areas that need it (if the car wasn't detailed by the dealership, otherwise the whole car will most likely need to be corrected) and then seal with Sonax Polymer Net Shield or CarPro Hydro2 (haven't tried it yet but have heard great things).

While rolltidef32 sounds like he knows what he is talking about, the one thing I must contest is polishing by hand. Without a doubt it accomplishes nothing you will never get swirls or micro marring out by hand.
You're right, you won't get swirls out by hand, but I didn't ever allow them to get onto the car anyway.

No dealer touched my car, only the manufacturer. I had Performance Center delivery back in March, they professionally detail the cars there at the plant. Never took her to a car wash either.

As soon as I got her back home, only hand washed using the techniques mentioned earlier. Clay barred, polished, and sealed the car pretty quickly. She also has wax.

For a new car, using an orbital is based on personal preference and not necessary if you use good polish and good technique; takes a while though.

True, if your car has a little wear on the paint, you will need to use and orbital to get it right.

The recommendation of the Griots orbital is a great suggestion. They make the best one for cars that are almost dummy proof. Just stay away from places like the door handle with an orbital. Only use on panels. Do the tight spots by hand or risk cutting your paint.

Most important with orbital is to use the correct pads and inspect that they aren't dirty. Your car should be clean as hell before using polish; I mean clean!
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2015, 01:22 PM   #7
Exterminador
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolltidef32 View Post
Depends on the orbital used. That one looks like a pro model that's a sander too. Would not use one on my car.

You can polish, clay, then sealant/wax by hand using foam applicators.

The car is new, so shouldn't need one of those anyway unless you're good at it. Just do by hand only going up and down with application, then buff off with microfiber towels.
Go with the Porter Cable polisher, you would have to hit your car with it to damage the paint. You can watch the junkman videos on YouTube to learn how to do it. Very good videos.

I would do and use the following:

1. Wash
2. Sonax Fallout
3. Clay Bar
4. Menzerna SF4000 Polish
5. Klasse high gloss sealant
6. P21s wax

Hope this helps. Don't be scared of the polisher. I was too until I watched the videos. BTW BMW paint is pretty strong.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2015, 09:19 AM   #8
hmk
Rep
Drives: 428i MSport

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I think, I'll go with polish by hand for the startup.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2015, 10:53 AM   #9
vanbmw
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 Black 335i

I highly recommend getting set up now with all the required polishing goodies. Trust me you will thank me in the long run! I got this advice and I am so glad all my detailing supplies and learned the skills to put them to use. Do not be afraid! Great youtube videos and detailed how to information online.

I recommend emailing detailed image and/or detailers domain. I have dealt with both companies and have always had excellent service. Tell them your car and the paint and ask for a package with a polisher.

I did this when I first purchased my jet black 135. Both of these companies emailed a detailed response. They have worked on jet black BMW paint many times and had polish/pad combinations that they recommended. They put together a great package at a great price. Buying the polisher, pads, polish, sealant, clay bar, lube, microfiber towels etc was not cheap but it has lasted me well.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2015, 12:18 PM   #10
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep
Drives: Detailed by Detailed Image

I'd be happy to help set up a shopping cart with anything you need.

Just let me know how I can help!

Zach McGovern
Detailed Image Ask-A-Pro Blog Author
www.AttentiontoDetailingPeoria.com
Appreciate 0