F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Afe intake problems
Studio RSR

10-02-2014, 02:26 PM   #1
Tditty
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bmw 335x with m package

Afe intake problems

So I put on the afe intake and have a jb4 stage 2. Had the jb4 for a while with the downpipe. Just installed the intake about a month ago. Install was actually easy. But about a week ago I felt this weird feeling sometimes when stopped a light. The car would idle weird and even lightly lunged forward. This happened like twice. Then all of a sudden this morning , I Turn on my car, start heading down the street and the car is idling all weird , not giving me power when I hit the gas. I immediately pulled over and the car started to sort of stutter and completely shut off. No codes , no error messages , even though it felt like the drive train malfunction thing I've seen. Turned the car on after 10 seconds and all is good. Gonna change maps on the jb4 to map 5. Maybe that helps. I'll keep you posted. Might have to remove intake.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2014, 02:34 PM   #2
IndotagSwizz
Major
Rep
Drives: F30 320i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tditty View Post
So I put on the afe intake and have a jb4 stage 2. Had the jb4 for a while with the downpipe. Just installed the intake about a month ago. Install was actually easy. But about a week ago I felt this weird feeling sometimes when stopped a light. The car would idle weird and even lightly lunged forward. This happened like twice. Then all of a sudden this morning , I Turn on my car, start heading down the street and the car is idling all weird , not giving me power when I hit the gas. I immediately pulled over and the car started to sort of stutter and completely shut off. No codes , no error messages , even though it felt like the drive train malfunction thing I've seen. Turned the car on after 10 seconds and all is good. Gonna change maps on the jb4 to map 5. Maybe that helps. I'll keep you posted. Might have to remove intake.
if it is what I think it is its not Tune or intake related at all. I had very similar symptoms in my car, every time I pulled up at a light or a stop my car wouldn't brake smoothly at the very end almost like its slightly launched forward, then a couple of times while stopped at the light it started shaking A LOT and then it stopped, it did it a couple more times while I was stopped at lights, it ended up being a transmission issue. hopefully its something else and you don't need a new transmission
      10-02-2014, 02:59 PM   #3
Tditty
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndotagSwizz
Quote:
if it is what I think it is its not Tune or intake related at all. I had very similar symptoms in my car, every time I pulled up at a light or a stop my car wouldn't brake smoothly at the very end almost like its slightly launched forward, then a couple of times while stopped at the light it started shaking A LOT and then it stopped, it did it a couple more times while I was stopped at lights, it ended up being a transmission issue. hopefully its something else and you don't need a new transmission
I was scared of that too. Hope your wrong. Lol
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2014, 04:04 PM   #4
Overshotgolem
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F30 328! 2013

May be ur tps check it out u never know
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2014, 04:06 PM   #5
Overshotgolem
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F30 328! 2013

Check if install it properly ,, or have someone check the sensor u may out damage it when u install the new intake,,,, hop is ur tps , cause thats an easy fix
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2014, 01:09 PM   #6
Tditty
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndotagSwizz
Quote:
Good news and sort of bad news.... Took the intake off and the cat runs like it should now.... Back to normal..... The sort of bad news is that I kinda miss the intake... Looks like it Is the vacuum hose connectivity that was giving me the problem. :
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2014, 01:48 PM   #7
ShlemonboostedM
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335i F30

Most of f30s I know with intake have uneven idel including me .. So basically it's normal for our cars ..
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2014, 01:51 PM   #8
Tditty
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShlemonboostedM
Most of f30s I know with intake have uneven idel including me .. So basically it's normal for our cars ..
I was willing to accept a little rough idling but for the car at one point to completely shut off is a little embarrassing if you have a passenger lol.... It's a brand new bmw
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2014, 01:59 PM   #9
FC4
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShlemonboostedM View Post
Nope. Mine's perfect and is no different drivability wise than stock.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2014, 10:19 AM   #10
BimmerFan
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 M550i

Tditty, which AFE intake did you install?
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2014, 10:20 AM   #11
Tditty
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerFan
Tditty, which AFE intake did you install?
The afe magnum force intake
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2014, 12:34 PM   #12
RedlinePSI
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something else

I thought the issue was known to be the combination of AFE intake and JB4. Either on their own is fine, together might have a problem.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2014, 01:29 PM   #13
Tditty
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedlinePSI
I thought the issue was known to be the combination of AFE intake and JB4. Either on their own is fine, together might have a problem.
Well it wasn't the intake. It's still happening. Might be the damn hfc downpipe. Gonna check that next week. Feels like an O2 sensor.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2014, 11:39 AM   #14
RedlinePSI
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something else

Sucks, pain in the ass to modify these cars.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2014, 11:37 AM   #15
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Quote:
Well it wasn't the intake. It's still happening. Might be the damn hfc downpipe. Gonna check that next week. Feels like an O2 sensor.
Any codes as of recently?
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2014, 11:42 AM   #16
Tditty
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@TopGearSolutions
Quote:
Any codes as of recently?
Having it checked now. Hopefully it's a simple fix. Had to take jb4 off to read codes. :
Appreciate 0