F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > BMW Connected Drive Services subscription
Studio RSR

02-19-2024, 06:18 PM   #1
Arthurrs
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 430i xdrive Gran Coupe

BMW Connected Drive Services subscription

So I just bought a "newer" low mileage bmw, a 2017 430ix F36, fantastic car for a reasonable price. A nice incremental upgrade to my 2014 328ix with a ton of km on the odometer.

It came with both the Connected Drive Services Essential and Remote Services, expiring at the end of 2026. I added on the annual BMW Connected Services package, mainly for the real time traffic info.

However it's been a week, and I haven't seen any change in the Connected Drive menu, I thought that I would have seen some additional apps appear there, and neither have I seen any map updates beyond the 2019 map that is already loaded in the car. I called up tech support, and they had me reset my NBT, but still nothing more appearing in the menus. It does seem like the real time traffic info is working, so at least I have the feature that I really wanted.

Nevertheless, I'd really like to get my 4 year old maps updated, and if I need to get my USB drive out and install it myself, I certainly will do so.

Are my expectations misplaced? Should I call tech support again? This is in Canada BTW.
      02-20-2024, 07:30 PM   #2
eff32fl
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 440i M Sport THP MPPSK

The app support is quite limited. You get news, calendar etc. Older versions of Spotify would show up also but not anymore. You're expecting Android AutoCarplay levels of integration by the sound of it.

The maps only update your local region not the entire maps. The region is configurable in the Connected Drive web site. You will get OTA updates for your region quarterly at the maximum.

If you want to do a full update of your maps you will have to go to a dealer to do so or find a site that sells OEM map updates. It's usually around $200-$300 USD.

If you want to have better app support and have an iPhone you should look into getting Carplay installed. If you have an Android then an aftermarket Android screen or MMI box will provide Android Auto.

Last edited by eff32fl; 02-20-2024 at 07:36 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2024, 08:36 PM   #3
Arthurrs
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 430i xdrive Gran Coupe

Thanks for the reply! Yeah, the car is optioned with Carplay, it works great, better than I expected based on past experience with rental cars with the option. Tempted to upgrade to the full screen version of Carplay.

Since I travel a bunch with my car, I will likely do the map download and update to the latest North American maps.

But yeah, I was hoping that a few apps would have shown up on the display by now, but it's a moot point given that I have so much more on the iPhone anyway.
      02-25-2024, 08:37 AM   #4
amancuso
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 330it, 428ix, 430i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthurrs View Post
Thanks for the reply! Yeah, the car is optioned with Carplay, it works great, better than I expected based on past experience with rental cars with the option. Tempted to upgrade to the full screen version of Carplay.

Since I travel a bunch with my car, I will likely do the map download and update to the latest North American maps.

But yeah, I was hoping that a few apps would have shown up on the display by now, but it's a moot point given that I have so much more on the iPhone anyway.
Just FYI on the factory Navigation system. It sometimes does some really odd things, like make you exit an interstate then get back on. For that reason I mostly don't use it unless I generally know where I am headed.