F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > AUSTRALIA > Doors - crackling noises fixed
GetBMWParts

01-17-2013, 06:42 AM   #1
M-Sport328i
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: F30 M Sport 328i

Thumbs up Doors - crackling noises fixed

The car went into the shop today to investigate the door noises I have had since new. I took one of the techs out for a road test and he heard the noise as soon as we left the dealership driveway and all through the short road test. He agreed it was quite annoying.

I left the car with them and collected it later in the day. All I can say is that it is very nice to drive without the constant crackling noises from the doors. It was a simple fix - they applied a treatment to the felt seals.

Prior to this I had cleaned all seals with water and had applied Gummi Pflege to the rubber seals. This had marginally reduced the noise.

If you are experiencing these noises from the doors in your F30 I suggest a trip into your dealership and get the felt treated.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2013, 09:18 AM   #2
shivaswrath
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-Sport328i View Post
The car went into the shop today to investigate the door noises I have had since new. I took one of the techs out for a road test and he heard the noise as soon as we left the dealership driveway and all through the short road test. He agreed it was quite annoying.

I left the car with them and collected it later in the day. All I can say is that it is very nice to drive without the constant crackling noises from the doors. It was a simple fix - they applied a treatment to the felt seals.

Prior to this I had cleaned all seals with water and had applied Gummi Pflege to the rubber seals. This had marginally reduced the noise.

If you are experiencing these noises from the doors in your F30 I suggest a trip into your dealership and get the felt treated.
Where is the felt, on the inside of the door jam with the weather seals, or??

I have the crackling on the passenger side, the tech ended up opening it all up and sealing some loose things up with butyl glue (according to the sheet), and it still crackles...

If it's something I can do, I'd much rather...

M Performance Exhaust/Brakes/Suspension/LSD|Bav Stage 1/AMP||ER CP/IC/DP/OC | Dinan CAI/N55 PWG BIG TURBO|BMWF30.com
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2013, 05:15 AM   #3
lukiespookie
Registered
Rep
Drives: 328i M Sport

Did they mention what product they used?

I have already been back to the dealer and my doors still creak after they "lubricated" the chassis and door side seals but left the felt untreated.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2013, 06:05 PM   #4
M-Sport328i
Private
Australia
Rep

I have been away for the last 10 days. Will check with dealer this week as to what they used.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2013, 04:16 PM   #5
lukiespookie
Registered
Rep
Drives: 328i M Sport

Did you manage to ask what they used? I took it back to my dealer here in Adelaide and although they kept it over night, pulled it apart and "fixed" the problem, only a week later its come back on the passenger side.

Appreciate 0
      02-13-2013, 03:55 AM   #6
J1n
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: R8 V8 '14

Hmm felt? What is this thing =)
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2013, 07:32 AM   #7
M-Sport328i
Private
Australia
Rep

Ongoing saga

Sorry for the delay but I have been travelling and progress on this matter delayed. So after my previous post wher the issue seemed to be fixed I drove the car about 100km and left it in my garage while away for 2 weeks. Came back and noises were there again. Not happy so booked car back in. yesterday the dealer applied Teflon tape to the inner rubber seals - those that sit in the door cavity not those on the door. This was the latest thinking from Bavaria.

So far about 200km travelled and no noises.

My next step will be to write a letter to state that the Teflon tape is essentially a workaround to the underlying issue and to ask how BMW might determine a long term fix. My concern is that the Teflon tape may peel over time and we are back to square one. There seems to be enough noise around on this issue that one hopes they formulate a real fix. One of the dealership staff has also had this problem.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2013, 04:36 AM   #8
djw007
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F30 M Sport 335i

Thumbs up

I can tell you for certain it is the felt lining on the inside of the rubber seals around the tops of the doors rubbing against the shadowline trim. You can replicate the noise from outside the car by pushing the rubber seal against the shadowline trim whilst the door is closed.
I tried everything including several cleans. It is just simply friction causing the noise.
To fix the problem, each time i wash the car i give the rubber seals on the outside of the doors a once over with Gumni Pfledge. And at the same time i give the felt side a quick but light application. No noise whatsoever and lasts for weeks!
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2013, 04:52 AM   #9
M-Sport328i
Private
Australia
Rep

Interesting

I did use Gummi Pflege to try solving this myself. It did reduce but not eliminate the problem. The dealer service manager cautioned me against using non BMW approved treatment on the seals as it could void warranty which led to a heated discussion.

The first attempt of the dealer was to treat the felt seals ... This seemed to fix the problem for a whole 100km. So far the second fix from the dealer - Teflon tape seems to be working.

Your fix is interesting as it gives a more complete picture of the cause whereas all information to date seems to implicate seals, felt etc as individual considerations.

At the end of the day....I should not have to treat the seals every few weeks. There is either a design flaw or a batch issue with seals as it is reported by others. This needs to be ddressed
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2013, 05:37 AM   #10
J1n
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: R8 V8 '14

Did he mention what was causing the issue tho?
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2013, 06:19 AM   #11
MikeVictor
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: anything given a chance

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by djw007 View Post
I can tell you for certain it is the felt lining on the inside of the rubber seals around the tops of the doors rubbing against the shadowline trim. You can replicate the noise from outside the car by pushing the rubber seal against the shadowline trim whilst the door is closed.
I tried everything including several cleans. It is just simply friction causing the noise.
I've had the same issue. It was fixed with the application of teflon tape. It's invisible and doesn't require any ongoing maintenance, and the service department at Motorline did a bang on job, incredibly neat and precise.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2013, 09:35 AM   #12
vwvwvw
Rep
Drives: 335i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabaitu View Post
I've had the same issue. It was fixed with the application of teflon tape. It's invisible and doesn't require any ongoing maintenance, and the service department at Motorline did a bang on job, incredibly neat and precise.
Had the same experience on an E60. Teflon tape lasted for years and showed no signs of giving up. It's a good solution.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2013, 04:52 PM   #13
MikeVictor
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by vwvwvw View Post
Had the same experience on an E60. Teflon tape lasted for years and showed no signs of giving up. It's a good solution.
That's good to know.

Welcome to the boards too
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2013, 06:59 PM   #14
M-Sport328i
Private
Australia
Rep

Issue has returned - Car has been back in shop for last two days to try and eradicate the problem. I have a base model 320d on loan and no issue with that. Sounds like it may be related to the shadowline trim based on posting above. Dealer said last night that they are adjusting the doors so needed to keep it longer. Hopefully will get it back today and have a rundown on what the latest fix is.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2013, 10:12 PM   #15
macca1410
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i M Sport Mineral Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-Sport328i View Post
Issue has returned - Car has been back in shop for last two days to try and eradicate the problem. I have a base model 320d on loan and no issue with that. Sounds like it may be related to the shadowline trim based on posting above. Dealer said last night that they are adjusting the doors so needed to keep it longer. Hopefully will get it back today and have a rundown on what the latest fix is.
Sorry to hear it is back in the dealers hands. Look forward to hearing outcome though. This issue has just struck me. Car only 6 weeks old (1,000kms) and coming from back left passenger side. It is not too loud (yet) but still annoying. Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2013, 01:21 AM   #16
CKau
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 Xdrive30i M sport

When you guys say Teflon tape are you referring to the white tape used in plumbing jobs to seal joins?
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2013, 05:20 AM   #17
MikeVictor
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CKau View Post
When you guys say Teflon tape are you referring to the white tape used in plumbing jobs to seal joins?
No, this is thicker and in my case, black.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2013, 09:03 PM   #18
M-Sport328i
Private
Australia
Rep

The teflon tape they used last time was clear in my case. Car has been at dealer since last Thursday. As of Friday evening they had been adjusting doors but were still not happy with the result. They are going all out this time to try and rectify it. I wrote the dealer a letter a week ago stating that I wanted this fixed properly. Once I get it back I will follow up with a letter to BMW Australia. I suggest to anyone having this issue that you write to the dealer and BMW Australia.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2013, 05:36 PM   #19
Sprocket
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW F31 328i

I too have suffered the issue with creaking seals. I suspect it started after a complimentary reconditioning at the dealer, but I am still at a loss regarding what exactly is causing the issue (cleaning agent, drying, etc.).

Anyway, my problem seems to have been fixed after the dealer replaced all the seals (both inside the doors and the seals on the upper part of the doors). This was after two previous attempts of cleaning them.

So I would definitely advise you to not give up on the issue and insist on the dealer replacing the seals.

If anyone knows what might be causing the issue in the first place I would be very interested in learning about it. I would definitely like to avoid this happening again.
      10-31-2013, 10:56 PM   #20
AMJAM
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2013 Alpine 328I MSport

I have this issue too
      11-01-2013, 12:05 AM   #21
HFW003
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2024 M340i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMJAM View Post
I have this issue too
You've polished them that much they're squeaking
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2013, 01:37 AM   #22
AMJAM
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2013 Alpine 328I MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFW003 View Post
You've polished them that much they're squeaking
yeah I was actually thinking that. But seriously as the car has gotten older it's gotten a lot worse. To the point it's now driving me nuts. I have the car booked in for a couple minor things to be fixed and one major.