F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > M Sport Steering Wheel Installation - Project Overview
GetBMWParts

11-14-2015, 06:03 PM   #1
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

M Sport Steering Wheel Installation - Project Overview

My 2013 BMW F30 335i xDrive Sportline sedan - built in South Africa - is perhaps one of the best cars I ever owned. No problems of any kind after 2.5 years.

The base suspension had to be replaced at some point. KW Street Comfort coilovers cured all suspension ills.

The next item was replacing Sportline steering wheel with M Sport Steering wheel. My vehicle has Cold Weather Package and Driver Assistance Package with Blind Spot Detection. The replacement M Sport Steering wheel had to have heating element (S248A=Yes), vibration generator, and no automatic transmission paddles (S2TBA=No).

Step 1. Review all parts at RealOEM:
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=32_2161

Step 2. Find the replacement wheel. Options:

a. Fully assembled M Sport Steering wheel with heating element and vibration generator and dual stage airbag for US markets. This proved very difficult to find at a reasonable price.

b. Fully assembled M Sport Steering wheel with heating element and vibration generator but without the airbag. The plan would be to purchase a dual stage airbag later. For some reason, a wheel with heating element and vibration generator was not available on secondary markets (eBay, etc.).

c. Purchase the core wheel which has the heating element and then add all parts individually. Heating element cannot be added later as a part.

I was able to purchase the core wheel (PN 32-307-848-339) at a very good price.

Step 3. Add parts.

RealOEM diagram shows all parts required except the most important one: actual ECU.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=61_3457

This part must be ordered in addition to all other parts.

Pay extra attention to the Connecting Line part. Depending on the option on your vehicle, a different part number will apply.

Step 4. Purchase M Sport airbag

The most expensive part. Buy from a dealer to avoid risks. Again - it must be a dual stage airbag.

Step 5. Where to install

When M Sport Steering wheel is added to the vehicle, the airbag control unit must be reprogrammed. There is no other option and I don't recommend it. Your local BMW dealer is the only avenue to ensure everything is done correctly.

I have a Sportline steering wheel (with red stitching) and airbag for sale. The wheel is in pristine condition. PM me for pictures and pricing.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2015, 07:38 PM   #2
BTT 335i
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 F15 M Sport- F30 M Sport

Hello, I was also like you and my car has the same options like yours, and for a long time I was looking on ebay and in the Forum until I found this on ebay, is new with all options that you need.
This is the link
http://carxtras.com/new-genuine-bmw-...etCurrencyId=4
Appreciate 0