F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Totaled 335i M Sport in head-on collision. Testament to BMW safety
ARMA SPEED

08-10-2013, 02:40 AM   #67
Mobster1983
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335i

Those drivers of the cars you all posted were doing in excess of 150 mph. IIRC, The white m5 belonged to a member of m5board.com who was asking how to get more speed out of his car the day before. I think he was 18, was racing with three friends in his car along a closed runway (illegally) when he lost control, hit a dirt barrier and the car flew over 200 feet. Speed was likely around 180 mph.

People who are driving safely, will generally walk away from their accidents with the great job the BMW engineers have done. But you can always find examples where they didn't. That doesn't mean the car hasn't saved hundreds of lives.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2013, 02:49 AM   #68
Pentium
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [0.00]
That's amazing news, glad that you are ok!

Bad news for a beauty ride, enjoy your replacement though!!
      08-10-2013, 06:52 AM   #69
OverDriven
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillhart View Post
The license plate is based on both a character from a TV show and a famous scientist at the same time. Until someone observes it, that is...
Hahaha I'm not sure how many people here got that, but well done, sir.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2013, 08:13 AM   #70
US///M3
Banned
Rep
Drives: 1973 Jensen Interceptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobster1983 View Post
Those drivers of the cars you all posted were doing in excess of 150 mph. IIRC, The white m5 belonged to a member of m5board.com who was asking how to get more speed out of his car the day before. I think he was 18, was racing with three friends in his car along a closed runway (illegally) when he lost control, hit a dirt barrier and the car flew over 200 feet. Speed was likely around 180 mph.

People who are driving safely, will generally walk away from their accidents with the great job the BMW engineers have done. But you can always find examples where they didn't. That doesn't mean the car hasn't saved hundreds of lives.
My point was it's kinda silly for some to point out only the examples where people walked away and say that's why i dont mind paying more for a BMW or i only buy German cars.

The engineers at Nissan, Honda etc. also do a great job when it comes to safety...people have died in high speed crash in a Nissan 350Z, GT-R and also walked away without a scratch from those crashes.

I love German cars but just trying to be objective.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2013, 08:36 AM   #71
positiveions
Lieutenant General
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: 19 Tacoma, 16 Golf wagon

Garage List
Or this photo:
the man walked away, unscathed, and called paramedics himself. He is the 2nd to the left, holding the cell phone.

Testimony that German cars are built tough. Glad you are ok buddy. Congrats on your new car.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2013, 08:58 AM   #72
US///M3
Banned
Rep

Not just German cars are on this list and no BMW's. The vehicles with the better numbers tend to be large and heavy.
Attached Images

Last edited by US///M3; 08-10-2013 at 11:53 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2013, 09:36 AM   #73
drob23
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: S4

Pretty sure that volvo has stated no driver will ever die in their vehicles by 2020 or something - http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...ads-years.html

Reality is, the only 100% safe car is the one that never leaves the driveway.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2013, 09:40 AM   #74
BavarianFanatic
Too much is never enough
United_States
Rep
Drives: Too Many

Quote:
Originally Posted by positiveions View Post
Or this photo:
the man walked away, unscathed, and called paramedics himself. He is the 2nd to the left, holding the cell phone.

Testimony that German cars are built tough. Glad you are ok buddy. Congrats on your new car.
Uh, no. He was damn lucky. NOT a testament that they're built well. The damn car is in two pieces. Another foot forward and they'd be hosing him off of that tree.

Yes, European cars are built well when compared to others. Tgey have more stringent crash standards. But no matter how well built, contact with a stationary object will always decimate a car. Survival in most cases is pure luck.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2013, 10:35 AM   #75
drob23
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BavarianFanatic View Post
Uh, no. He was damn lucky. NOT a testament that they're built well. The damn car is in two pieces. Another foot forward and they'd be hosing him off of that tree.

Yes, European cars are built well when compared to others. Tgey have more stringent crash standards. But no matter how well built, contact with a stationary object will always decimate a car. Survival in most cases is pure luck.
I would argue that IIHS and NHTSA have stricter safety regulations. The IIHS is funded by insurance companies, which in modern market driven economies is more efficient in imposing change than governing bodies like the EU that like to b*tch amongst themselves. There's obvious reasons why insurance companies want safer vehicles. It's interesting how NA spec cars tend to be heavier than EU, roughly 200 lbs for the F30 as an example. I do know that EU has more strict emissions requirements baked into taxes.

This new proposed NA/EU free trade act will probably streamline this, especially given that many OEM's (and the larger auto-groups) have been forced to develop global platforms.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2013, 10:41 AM   #76
US///M3
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BavarianFanati473734

I agree on the first part.

The passenger of this A6 died and the driver sustained serious injuries.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-10-2013, 11:21 AM   #77
monkawekrue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: f25 X3 AW

Garage List
crazy, glad everything was okay in the end and you walked away okay.
      08-10-2013, 12:58 PM   #78
JohnVidale
Seismoguy
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328ix Mojave/Venetian

I don't see how the safety of the cars and the daredevilishness of the drivers can be separated. I'm certainly more of a hazard in my BMW than my old Camry.

Given the talk about getting every last tenth of a second off the 0-60 time, and maximum boosting of the power, and the OP talking about taking his family around at 100 mph where they are exposed to bad drivers, my impression is that BMW drivers are not as preoccupied with minimizing danger as Volvo and Mercedes drivers.

There is no controlled experiment.
      08-10-2013, 01:25 PM   #79
turbolag
is nonexistent with N/A
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdiSinghV12 View Post
Glad you're safe! I'm gonna show this thread to the Volvo guys who were blabbering continuously on how their cars are at a different level altogether when it comes to safety lol
Their cars ARE.

The XC90 took a 40mph collision to the side without showing ANY damage. It wasn't totaled, it looked nearly flawless. Except for maybe a small dent in the fender and paint scratches, it looked showroom. The car that hit it was totaled.

Sorry, but for safety Volvo is still ahead.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2013, 01:43 PM   #80
US///M3
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnVidale View Post
I don't see how the safety of the cars and the daredevilishness of the drivers can be separated. I'm certainly more of a hazard in my BMW than my old Camry.

Given the talk about getting every last tenth of a second off the 0-60 time, and maximum boosting of the power, and the OP talking about taking his family around at 100 mph where they are exposed to bad drivers, my impression is that BMW drivers are not as preoccupied with minimizing danger as Volvo and Mercedes drivers.

There is no controlled experiment.
Are the X3, X5, 5 series drivers also more daredevilish because they're driving a BMW than M-B, Volvo drivers?
Hahahaha
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2013, 03:03 PM   #81
wisesoul
Savoir Faire
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M5

High speed crashes are a hit or miss definitely. But in crashes like the OP, specifically head on collisions that BMW tirelessly researched and put development money into the crash structure, you can most certainly thank their engineering efforts. Congrats on the new car!
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2013, 03:39 PM   #82
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobster1983 View Post

I remember well that crash. The white M5 pictured here isn't that car. That M5 virtually disintegrated. He actually flew off the raised end of the runway into the trees. I remember being able to see one very small remnant that allowed me to identify it as a BMW. The driver and four of his friends died in that crash.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2013, 05:26 PM   #83
BavarianFanatic
Too much is never enough
United_States
Rep
Drives: Too Many

Quote:
Originally Posted by drob23 View Post
I would argue that IIHS and NHTSA have stricter safety regulations. The IIHS is funded by insurance companies, which in modern market driven economies is more efficient in imposing change than governing bodies like the EU that like to b*tch amongst themselves. There's obvious reasons why insurance companies want safer vehicles. It's interesting how NA spec cars tend to be heavier than EU, roughly 200 lbs for the F30 as an example. I do know that EU has more strict emissions requirements baked into taxes.

This new proposed NA/EU free trade act will probably streamline this, especially given that many OEM's (and the larger auto-groups) have been forced to develop global platforms.

For starters, IIHS is not a governing body for the industry. Only NHTSA is. IIHS is a lobbying group.

The EU has a different set of criteria with respect to crashworthiness than the US. One of the primary differences that comes to mind is roof strength and rollover survival. Since the roof must be sufficiently strong to withstand a rollover the A, B and C pillars must be stronger by default. The US does not enforce roof strength to the levels that the EU does.

While NHTSA definitely has regs that differ from the EU, a great number of the differences are related to lighting, reflectors, indicator colors and the like. They don't necessarily increase the crash worthiness of the vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2013, 05:56 PM   #84
drob23
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BavarianFanatic View Post
For starters, IIHS is not a governing body for the industry. Only NHTSA is. IIHS is a lobbying group.

The EU has a different set of criteria with respect to crashworthiness than the US. One of the primary differences that comes to mind is roof strength and rollover survival. Since the roof must be sufficiently strong to withstand a rollover the A, B and C pillars must be stronger by default. The US does not enforce roof strength to the levels that the EU does.

While NHTSA definitely has regs that differ from the EU, a great number of the differences are related to lighting, reflectors, indicator colors and the like. They don't necessarily increase the crash worthiness of the vehicle.
I wouldn't call it a lobbying group. They do lots of research and provide consumers data like the various "star" crash safety ratings. This has a pretty big effect on change within the auto industry, since no one wants a BMW with a 1-star frontal crash safety rating. This is not the same as consumer reports or the NRA.

Won't argue about the differences between NA/EU since I'm sure it's very complex and there are various restrictions that go one way or the other, some more important, some less.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2013, 09:13 PM   #85
Brotorious
Registered
Rep
Drives: F30 335i M Sport--on order

First time I have ever felt compelled to post something. I've lurked for years and am a big BMW fanboy. About two years ago my E46 laid down her life for me. Over 200,000 miles on her and she saved me from an 18 wheelers wrong and illegal turn while I was on my way to work. I was going 55mph on a highway (the speed limit). It took EMS over an hour to cut me out. I'll drive nothing but BMWs as long as I live. No doubt in my mind, if I would have been driving our Saab, I wouldn't be here. My foot got crushed and some broken bones but that was it. Im on my 4th surgery and always in pain BUT I'd rather have a broken body and still be here. At the time, my daughter was one. That's not enough time in this world with her. Waiting on my f30 at the end of September. So, glad you walked away from that and it's a testament to the car.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-10-2013, 10:12 PM   #86
-Wingman-
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 M-Sport

No wonder you came out fine. You hit a Kia
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2013, 02:56 AM   #87
initialv___
Private First Class