F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > newbie needing help! 2012 or 2013? 328 or 335?
proTUNING Freaks

06-24-2012, 10:53 PM   #23
Maz335i
BMW 4 Life...
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 SO M3 (on order)

Get the 335i and be happy!!!

While you're at it, change your sales guy and order a 2013 model!
      06-26-2012, 09:01 AM   #24
SGScuba
Private First Class
Singapore
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdcubsfan View Post
Had gone into deladership yesteday after decided to order 2013 335 with sport, premium, tech, driver assist, and side/rear shades

Once there, the salesman proceeded to convince me to drive both 328 and 335 again, and REALLY pushed hard for me to go towards a 2012 328, I think because they had them in stock.

I'm coming from Honda Accord and never had a luxury/performance car, so to be honest I couldn't really appreciate the difference between the 2 in the 10 minute test drive. ...

I told him through most of my reading most enthusiasts preferred the 335, but he said he didn't know which forums/message boards I was reading, that they sell by far more 328 than 335 etc etc....
I think you shouldn't be pushed into a decision, whether it's the salesman's, or those on this forum, or that of the article's author. What matter is yours, and therefore you need to decide what aspect of the car is relevant and important to you.

If you can't appreciate the difference in a 10-min test drive, insist on a longer test drive. If the salesman doesn't want to service you, there will be another one who does. You're the customer, so your needs (not his need for an immediate commission) should be the prime concern.

I think that all others on this forum can help you do is figure out what's important, by raising considerations which you may not have thought of. So for example, is the sound of the engine important to you (as it is to many on this forum)? Will you be satisfied with the power, handling and performance of the 328? Or will you have buyer's remorse since your initial instinct was to get the 335? Are you happy paying the extra amount for the 335 in light of what extras you get over the 328? Ultimately you need to understand what your priorities are for the car. All that the rest of us can do is merely give you our views & personal perspectives.

Good luck with the decision!
Sport AT, Mineral Grey, Black interior, Alum w/ high-gloss black interior trim, Sports seats + Lumbar support, Harman Kardon sound, Nav system Prof, PDC (f+r), Rear view camera, comfort access, Xenon lights.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2012, 09:27 AM   #25
Bmwny2015
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i sedan

Get a new salesmen and a 335!
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2012, 09:35 PM   #26
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Had gone into deladership yesteday after decided to order 2013 335 with sport, premium, tech, driver assist, and side/rear shades

Once there, the salesman proceeded to convince me to drive both 328 and 335 again, and REALLY pushed hard for me to go towards a 2012 328, I think because they had them in stock.

I'm coming from Honda Accord and never had a luxury/performance car, so to be honest I couldn't really appreciate the difference between the 2 in the 10 minute test drive. He also kept saying that the 328 would be not only more fuel efficient but also less maintenance issues - that the 335 engine had many more moving parts and would be much more likely to break down/have issues, as the 328 engine was also a newer technology. I didn't care about the relatively small (3K) difference between the two or the gas mileage difference, but what he said about the engines/reliability kept getting to me. I had never seen anything to that affect on any message board?????

I told him through most of my reading most enthusiasts preferred the 335, but he said he didn't know which forums/message boards I was reading, that they sell by far more 328 than 335 etc etc....

If I go 328, plan on getting the xenon and antitheft to basicall match the configurations....

But now I have more questions than before, and just want to get this done so I can stop obessessing/dreaming (yes, not kidding) about this.....

328 or 335?
2012 versus 2013?

Was also set on mineral gray but really fell in love with the red.....

Thanks for any help/advice!!!!!
No one can really tell you which one would be best for you.
You need to drive them and make your own decision based on what you like.

As far as most "enthusiasts" get the 335i, well, power enthusiasts, yes.
But overall the 328i is preferred by some driving enthusiasts over the 335i. Both models are really that good.
I'd say with the F30, the biggest achiever in topping the previous model, is the 328i.
For me, I ordered the 335i Msport cause I enjoy and want the more powerful engine.

I would like to address the ridiculous claims of your sales guy.
Yes, the 328i out sells the 335i. This has been true for decades.
The 3 series is BMW's bread and butter car, and the bigger take has always been for the 328i.

The comments about the engines is so stupid. I wish I could have been there. The N55 in the 335i is also a very new and very high tech engine.
It's one of the first turbo engines to combine valvetronic intake with turbocharging. It's quite high tech.

The N20 is newer but not more high tech than the N55.
It's a fantastic 4cyl turbo that generates lots of good torque and is smooth to boot.
It might get a bit better MPG overall on day to day driving.
But, if you drive spiritedly and dive into that throttle the MPG difference won't be that great. Generating torque/HP still requires a certain level of fuel whether it's from a 2.0 liter or 3.0 liter engine.

With the AT both 328i and 335i have the SAME 23/33 MPG rating.

With MT the 328i rates a bit higher 23/34 MPG than the AT, 1MPG more highway.
Nothing really.

With MT the 335i rates 20/30 MPG. It's the least fuel efficient trans/engine combination.

Which engine will last longer can not be determined at this point.
The N55 has been out for a few years. The N20 is newer.
So far the N55 has proven reliable.
More parts in the N55, and that makes for greater problem potential?
This guy is trying to sell you what he has on the lot.
Don't use his "pitch" to make your choice, especially considering he's speaking out his exhaust pipe.

If it were me, I'd order a 2013.
Prices for 2013 went up, BMW added more standard features.
Accounting for same equipment, the 2013 328i still went up by a few hundred dollars.
Accounting for same equipment in the 335i, the price increase is less.

If you're doing a loan or cash, then you'll get that money back on resale as your car will be one model year newer.
If you're leasing, absolutely go for the 2013, the monthly difference will be very small.
Also, if you're leasing the monthly for the 335i compared to equally optioned 328i is well under $100, if you negotiate a $500 or lesa above actual invoice deal.

Which one?
Can't tell ya.
You decide what excites you the most.
Either model will be excellent.
Don't listen to that sales guy, unless he really wants to move the 2012's off his lot, but then ask for a big discount, UNDER invoice.
If not, order to your liking.
Right now $500 over invoice is VERY doable and becoming more and more common. If you do better, even better.
Happy hunting.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2012, 10:03 PM   #27
RPM90
Major General
Rep

Quote:
thanks for all the good advice and posts - still torn about the car and the color

Found another article that confuses me some more....

http://blogs.motortrend.com/total-vi...35i-21501.html
Hmmm, interesting article.
Most of what he says recalls much of what others have said.
The 328i carry's less weight up front and that allows for less potential to "push" in a corner.
Overall balance feels a bit better in the 328i due to better weight distribution.

Does that mean the 335i is a slouch in handling?
Heck NO. Most people wouldn't even notice the difference.
Yes, the difference is there, but is it really that much for day to day driving? Not IMO.
The 335i is a 3 series through and through. It's suspension is well sorted. It just happens to have more weight up front, and that's what makes a difference.

You have to weigh how much of the difference you will actual use and/or prefer. If you want the lightest and quickest transitional handler, the 328i is your ticket.
If you want the faster car, with the better sounding engine, the 335i is for you.

I enjoy and respect car mag reviews and reviewers, but this guy makes the same mistake all of them do. They get the pricing WRONG.
You'd think as professional reviewers they would take the time to research the pricing since they're choosing to comment on it.
If they would just talk about performance, then fine, no need to research pricing. But, if you're going to comment on pricing as a factor in your comparison, then you NEED to know what you're talking about, or your credibility will be questioned.

He says that the 335 is is $6000 MORE.
That's simply FALSE.
Many of use have run the numbers.
Equally optioned the price difference is under $4000.
In my personal configuration of 328i and 335i, the price difference was $3700. No small change. We each have to make our own judgement on what we want to spend our money on.

Then, there's this nugget from the reviewer:
"Along the same deserted road I found myself having to brake mid-turn in the 335i where minutes earlier in the 328i I just drove on through. In the 335i I was simply carrying too much speed for the corner. Did BMW correct for the extra pounds over the front wheels? They’re German so, yes, of course they did. But they didn’t do enough, as the 328i is the better balanced of the two."

So, he had to brake mid corner in the 335i compared to the 328i around the same corner. He's making that comment while expressing how the 328i has better balance, and makes comments about the 335i's suspension tuning not being as good.
Really?
Yet, within his own words, you see the real reason for why he had to brake mid corner...HIGHER speed in the 335i!
DUH! Of course you're going to have to brake and correct for that corner, you're coming in HOTTER than you did in the other car.
Now, slow your entry speed to where it needs to be and drive through the same corner. There. Does it feel different now?
DO you see that you did NOT have to brake mid corner to adjust for coming in too hot?

He makes a comparison to show a negative, yet, he follows up with the answer he should have given in the first place.

Anyway.
Don't use that single article by which to make your decision.
Decide what you're looking for and want.
Then tell the dealer you need a longer test drive ALONE, in each car.
Make a choice. Either model will be a lot of fun to drive.

Last edited by RPM90; 06-26-2012 at 10:21 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2012, 11:06 PM   #28
iM
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M3 AH3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by ric124
get the 335i its more fun. Also get a new sales guy
Ditto
      06-27-2012, 06:12 PM   #29
G80_Soom
Freude am fahren
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 G80 M3 6MT IOMG/KO

Garage List
2021 BMW M3  [0.00]
335i. For the roughly 4k difference, you get a lot more car. Smoother, more powerful engine that sounds a lot better. Louder, more aggressive exhaust note. A lot more things standard like xenons, security system etc. And of course, it's faster
'13 F30 Estoril Blue 335i 6MT
#savethemanuals
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2012, 08:42 PM   #30
Yay-Z
Shifting to Top Gear
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 M5/E70 X5

335i. The exhaust, engine and torque is very noticeable.
      07-03-2012, 11:55 PM   #31
mdcubsfan
Rep
Drives: Honda

Thanks so much to everyone for all the expert opinions - again, my first BMW...anything would be upgrade from Accord, but finally placed order last Friday for 2013 Mineral Grey 335

Thought about it all weekend and called back yesterday to change to Melbourne Red!

Not a flashy guy at all and it doesn't "fit" my personality, but loved the way it looked.....

Now comes the hard part - the wait.....
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2012, 12:05 AM   #32
ric124
Colonel
Jamaica
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 BSM MT

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Thanks so much to everyone for all the expert opinions - again, my first BMW...anything would be upgrade from Accord, but finally placed order last Friday for 2013 Mineral Grey 335

Thought about it all weekend and called back yesterday to change to Melbourne Red!

Not a flashy guy at all and it doesn't "fit" my personality, but loved the way it looked.....

Glad to see you picked the 335! I guess you took them both out for a test drive? What was the deciding factor other than everyone on the forum telling you to go 335i?
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2012, 12:56 AM   #33
rconti
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: x5 3.5d, Clownshoe, Tesla 3

Hard to regret either one. It would be a really hard choice for me, I really dig the N20, and the "status" is unimportant to me -- 335s are a dime a dozen here anyway, and either car would be debadged before it even made it home.

That said, I question the salesman's assertion that the N20 will be more reliable due to "fewer moving parts" .. hate to break it to ya, but it's not the valves and pistons that are gonna be the problem! I'd be much more worried about a brand-new engine than one that's, admitted, had its teething problems, but is now well-established.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2012, 08:27 AM   #34
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Black/Black 335i e90

Garage List
2007 BMW E90 335i  [0.00]
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Save your money and drive the Honda a little more. In late Sept(right at the end of 3rd quarter earnings), there will be crazy deals on 12's 328 and 335's. The 328's have been on the lot for 3 months. 335's are just starting to arrive on dealers lots.
This explains why he is sort of pushing to get the 328 out the door.

The big advantage on the 328 is that it will get substantially better gas milage then the 335, especially in Eco mode where it is said to get 40mpg in Eco mode. Being that you are coming out of a honda, This may be if value to you?!.....
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2012, 08:45 AM   #35
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by rconti View Post
Hard to regret either one. It would be a really hard choice for me, I really dig the N20, and the "status" is unimportant to me -- 335s are a dime a dozen here anyway, and either car would be debadged before it even made it home.

That said, I question the salesman's assertion that the N20 will be more reliable due to "fewer moving parts" .. hate to break it to ya, but it's not the valves and pistons that are gonna be the problem! I'd be much more worried about a brand-new engine than one that's, admitted, had its teething problems, but is now well-established.
I agree, and:
The N20 makes more HP/litre than the N55 does, making it more stressed so to speak, so theoretically the N20 should be the less reliable engine in the long run fwiw.

To the OP, congrats with your 335i.

Cheers
Robin
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2012, 12:07 AM   #36
RPM90
Major General
Rep

Quote:

Me too!
Originally I ordered a silver w/red 335i Msport, but really liked the red, so I switched to melbourne red w/black interior.
I needed a color change. I've had 3 silver or gray cars for the past decade. Always wanted red and talked myself out of it. This time I takled myself into it.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2012, 12:15 AM   #37
RPM90
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mweisdorfer View Post
Save your money and drive the Honda a little more. In late Sept(right at the end of 3rd quarter earnings), there will be crazy deals on 12's 328 and 335's. The 328's have been on the lot for 3 months. 335's are just starting to arrive on dealers lots.
This explains why he is sort of pushing to get the 328 out the door.

The big advantage on the 328 is that it will get substantially better gas milage then the 335, especially in Eco mode where it is said to get 40mpg in Eco mode. Being that you are coming out of a honda, This may be if value to you?!.....
BIG advantage on MPG?
With the AT, the 328i and 335i are rated to get the same MPG, 23/33.
Even if the 335i gets 1 or 2mpg less, is that really a big savings at all?

The 335i AT weighs only 145lbs more than the 328i AT.
And that's with 17's on the 328i and 18's on the 335i, so a few less pounds weight difference with 18's on a 328i.
Not likely to see a big MPG difference.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2012, 05:13 PM   #38
mdcubsfan
Rep
Drives: Honda

Pathetic as it sounds, it was a lot of advice that I read on this board as well as talking to some other friends that ultimately had me going for the 335 over the 328.....the price difference equally speced out came to only about 3K....also, I figure things I'm passionate and good at, people ask and take my advice all the time, so why can't it be the same for cars, except I'm the novice looking for good advice from experts/enthusiasts?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes, totally excited about the red! Looked beautiful in the dealer lot, and couldn't stop thinking about it after seeing it.....placed order in gray and then called to change it!
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2012, 06:26 PM   #39
lesha
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 - 335 coupe

for the previous generation model 335 all the way (got a 328 loaner one time and noticed a HUGE difference), for the F30 though, it's a tough one, the performance gap between the 328 and 335 is so small and even the price (only 3k?), i think bmw is up to something here,,will it be a repeat of 2007 where 335 replaced 330 and got a an engine boost? but I think they will do something in the near future to set the 328 and the 335 apart,,who knows I might be wrong though
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2012, 09:34 PM   #40
MikeVictor
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: anything given a chance

Garage List
328 is more balanced and 335 has more killer wasps. Take your pick.
Appreciate 0