F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior & interior) > F30 Projector Angel Eye Headlights!

Today, 03:09 AM   #1321
AJ2206
320i F30 Sportline
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 320i F30 Sportline

Quote:
Originally Posted by atam1980 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ2206 View Post
Hi Folks,
Was wondering if anyone can help comment on performance of Halogen bulbs supplied by USR (with Depo headlamps) or post pictures of beam cutoff - wanted to know if Morimoto HIDs (very tempted to order them!) are absolute must as some Depo users have criticised the USR supplied halogens of being inadequate when it comes to light output...

Not sure if there's a DIY video/post for Morimoto H7 Minis specific to F30, especially on the wiring/connections part...Can the HIDs be installed in Depo headlights without bake opening up the housing (since it requires drilling a hole for wires to pass through)...
There are no Morimoto H7 Mini's. There are Morimoto H1 Mini 7.0.

Are you talking about replacing the Depo projector with the Morimoto H1? That would require you to open the headlights, and the F30 headlights are sealed with Permaseal so you can't just bake them open.

Or are you talking about just using a Morimoto HID Bulb & Ballast kit in the existing projectors? This wouldn't be that difficult...you'd have to drill a big hole in the back cover to allow the ballast wiring to go through. I think you need to buy the mounting brackets as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ2206 View Post
P.S: When called up Retrofit source for advice on light to go with Depo headlights, they recommended HIDs as against LEDs ....saying even the Morimoto LEDs are immature at the moment and don't match the HIDs (H7 minis) in performance ...
HID bulbs emit light like halogens, evenly throughout surface the bulb.

LED headlight bulbs are just a series of surface mount led's that emit light on whichever surface it sits on. There will be certain parts of the bulb that emit no light. In a projector, you won't get as nice and uniform a beam as HID.
Thanks for the reply Atam...After doing some more reading, realized how noob I sounded with the questions!

Ive ordered the lights from USR and have opted for these HIDs which are pretty popular with the lads in the UK thread https://www.hids4u.co.uk/H7-HIDS4U-S...rsion-Kit.html. ... After installing the HIDs, I intend to use the Depo supplied halogens (in projectors) for the high beams (inner housing reflector) -you think that will work?

Also ordered LED CREE fog lamps (halfway through figuring out how to code out the warm/cold checks for LEDs to prevent flickering/errors..)

While ordering from USR, they didn't mention if the lights are LHD or RHD which I realised the next day - sent them a mail to check if they sell separate ones for both and if they've sent me the correct ones...

Will appreciate any suggestions/tips/pitfalls at this stage...
Appreciate 0
      Today, 02:18 PM   #1322
Dantist
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTG View Post
Lights were purchased from The Retro Fit Source with LED Bulbs. (Installed July 2016 when the car was brand new)

Install was ok but a bit of a PIA due to some fitment issues. You definitely know that you are not installing an OEM piece in here.

After we put everything together, lights worked as designed with no flickering & etc. To our surprise, no headlight adjustment were needed. This must be purely our luck as the aim was perfect. Of course, no coding of any kind was needed as advertised.

Over the past 11 months, we had no issues and lights have seen plenty of Seattle rain (one of the wettest in Seattle history).

The DRLs, LED Headlight Bulbs and the turn signals work just fine. It definitely is a great upgrade. For the price paid, I am pretty happy with results.

I took some pictures when we were installing a front lip last weekend.

I would be happy to answer any questions and can take better pic if needed.
Thanks for the update. Quick question, who installed these for you? I just moved to Seattle and really want to change the look of my car. TIA!
Appreciate 0