F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Thoughts on B58 catted downpipe
ARMA SPEED

05-12-2022, 09:57 PM   #1
khanmohammed
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 CS

Thoughts on B58 catted downpipe

Hi guys currently got a VRSF catted downpipe on my 340, was also looking to fabspeed downpipe since this one might not hold up in the long run. Is there any sound difference, or any advantages in the Fabspeed than this one besides the emissions?

Price tag also has a big gap it's almost $2k and VRSF was 480
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2022, 11:34 PM   #2
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i

AA is an alternative to fabspeed that is 49-state legal and guarantees no CEL.

Performance and sound will be very similar, fabspeed and AA might be slightly higher if the cats flow better, but were talking like 10hp not 50.
Appreciate 1
      05-13-2022, 05:15 AM   #3
leew102
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F30 BMW 340i xdrive

I went AA after having a CTS turbo catted dp (which I think has same cell as the vrsf). For sound, the AA sounds far far better than what my CTS dp sounded. I have a non res midpipe with a Remus Axleback and on the CTS dp there wasn't really any tone below 300 rpm, just kinda sounded like a ton of exhaust moving through the system. With the AA there is some tone and low end rumble through that same rpm range. I presume due to the 400 cell vs the 200 cell.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2022, 06:51 AM   #4
obzen
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 440i Gran Coupe

I was looking into getting AA but not sure how much louder it will make my car since I have MPPSK.
//MST intake
//AutoTechnik brace
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2022, 06:59 AM   #5
Fliplegend
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435ix F33

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejeremyman9 View Post
AA is an alternative to fabspeed that is 49-state legal and guarantees no CEL.
and readiness of monitors? OP doesn't have a CEL either.
      05-13-2022, 08:01 AM   #6
BMWILUVU
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 340ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by obzen View Post
I was looking into getting AA but not sure how much louder it will make my car since I have MPPSK.
Don't bother. The B58 stock cat is a 5" at half-segemented at 600 cel and half of it is 400 cel also. The AA is 4.5" at 400 cel. The stock cat is wider. AA is only a slight improvement not worth a thousand dollars imo. Their dyno numbers are suspicious also. If I were you, I would maybe consider it if my stock cat fails and replacement is too expensive.
Appreciate 1
teapain146.50
      05-13-2022, 12:24 PM   #7
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fliplegend View Post
and readiness of monitors? OP doesn't have a CEL either.
When i said 49 state legal that is the emission readiness guarantee Check out AA's website. They are the only DP i am aware of that actually has EPA approval. Fabpseed is good enough to pass emissions, but technically not certified (meaning it can in theory fail visual). I went fabspeed on my N55, but that was a few years ago before prices went crazy, i got it for about 1150 on sale.
Appreciate 1
Fliplegend1471.00
      05-13-2022, 01:03 PM   #8
BingoTheClown
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i: RIP '18 440i MPPSK

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWILUVU View Post
Don't bother. The B58 stock cat is a 5" at half-segemented at 600 cel and half of it is 400 cel also. The AA is 4.5" at 400 cel. The stock cat is wider. AA is only a slight improvement not worth a thousand dollars imo. Their dyno numbers are suspicious also. If I were you, I would maybe consider it if my stock cat fails and replacement is too expensive.

I also have a B58 with MPPSK. I am good with that, until it's all paid off. I am not going to get into the major tunes/mods until there are no more payments to be made.

That said . . . once it's paid off, I would like to build a sleeper. I want to pull 600 HP from her. Just reading this thread makes me think. For now, everything is fine. But when I build that sleeper . . . I assume I will need a catted DP?? I Want and NEED to pass inspections.

Can you get 600hp out of a catted dp? Would the AA one be the one go to with - when the time comes?

I know nothing about this stuff . . yet. But want to make some notes. I want to play too
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2022, 01:12 PM   #9
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BingoTheClown View Post

I also have a B58 with MPPSK. I am good with that, until it's all paid off. I am not going to get into the major tunes/mods until there are no more payments to be made.

That said . . . once it's paid off, I would like to build a sleeper. I want to pull 600 HP from her. Just reading this thread makes me think. For now, everything is fine. But when I build that sleeper . . . I assume I will need a catted DP?? I Want and NEED to pass inspections.

Can you get 600hp out of a catted dp? Would the AA one be the one go to with - when the time comes?

I know nothing about this stuff . . yet. But want to make some notes. I want to play too
AFAIK AA or fabspeed are the only ones that will pass, AA being the "officially" legal one (all states except CA last i checked).

Yes you will need a DP to make 600hp... not sure if you are talking about whp or what, but either way, you wont make that through the OEM DP.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2022, 01:42 PM   #10
khanmohammed
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by obzen View Post
Wow I did not know this.. I have the MPPSK cat and I changed it out for the high flow VRSF on BM3 stage 2+. Now I'm considering putting it back 🤔🤔 the exhaust tone was also much more better sounding without the VRSF. It is louder sure, but can't beat the stock tone of the MPPSK
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2022, 01:44 PM   #11
khanmohammed
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

600hp easily possible, just do a meth kit, e50 tune, Fabspeed downpipe, and should be good to go.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2022, 01:45 PM   #12
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by khanmohammed View Post
Wow I did not know this.. I have the MPPSK cat and I changed it out for the high flow VRSF on BM3 stage 2+. Now I'm considering putting it back 🤔🤔 the exhaust tone was also much more better sounding without the VRSF. It is louder sure, but can't beat the stock tone of the MPPSK
MPPSK cat? MPPSK does not change the cat AFAIK?

Also all the evidence i have ever seen is that AA/fabspeed provide significant gains over the OEM cat. The cat density and the diameter are two factors, but the aftermarket cats only have one section of material and overall flow significantly better than OEM. There's a reason why these cars gain so much power from DP (especially when tune is added).
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2022, 02:14 PM   #13
BMWILUVU
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 340ix

Quote:

I think once its paid off, you'll need a reliable daily and then you can turn the BMW into a project car. This is what I plan to do too. Pushing 500+hp its safe to say you need need to upgrade the down-pipe for various reasons and add an intake as well. So then you get into the 200 vs 300 vs 400 cel debates which are endless. Personally, I am catless and if I ever go 600hp, I will definitely be catless. That takes any guesswork right out of it for me.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2022, 04:05 PM   #14
Wires
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

I had the catted VSRF (5" cat) and the sound was just nasty. Really boomy and loud (not nice at all). It went back due to fitment issues and was replaced with the ER which has a much more refined sound. I suspect the 4" pipe to 5" cat adds a "megaphone" effect to the exhaust tone.

I do have the AA axle back exhaust which has great fitment, quality and sound. Cannot comment on their DP though.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2022, 09:09 PM   #15
BingoTheClown
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i: RIP '18 440i MPPSK

Quote:
I think once its paid off, you'll need a reliable daily and then you can turn the BMW into a project car. This is what I plan to do too. Pushing 500+hp its safe to say you need need to upgrade the down-pipe for various reasons and add an intake as well. So then you get into the 200 vs 300 vs 400 cel debates which are endless. Personally, I am catless and if I ever go 600hp, I will definitely be catless. That takes any guesswork right out of it for me.
My plan is exactly that. This will become my sleeper and funning car. I will probably pick up a Kia Sportage used, that still has a big warranty left on it as my daily driver. I don't need anything special . .just a super low payment and a warranty. Done. That way I can keep funding my baby
Appreciate 0