F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > 335d to M3....
Studio RSR

11-30-2015, 08:02 AM   #133
gtsussex
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: SMB M3 CP with lots of carbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordNathanD
Very good write up and interesting to know they have made more than just cosmetic alternations over the non LCI

What are your thoughts on the standard M3 vs standard M4 - as I have heard the M4 in general handles better?
Can't say I can pass comment as I have yet to drive both at same time of same age. I suppose M3 is a weeny bit heavier and must be structurally less stiff but I certainly can't say I felt it was a disappointment.
San Marino Blue M3 Competition Package with Carbon tat, ACS RS suspension, uprated brakes, 'modded' exhaust and a weeny bit more power courtesy of JF Automotive; M235i Convertible with ACS Sports Suspension; Disco 5 HSE Lux
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2015, 09:25 AM   #134
gtsussex
Brigadier General
Rep

Well that's it - colour all sorted... No turning back now. So spec as requested....

F80 M3 Saloon
San Merino Individual Blue
Silverstone Full Merino Leather

Steering wheel heating
M DCT transmission
19" Black wheels
Comfort access
Reversing camera
Sunblinds - rear windows
Sun protection glass
Extended storage
Sliding armrest
Carbon fibre trim
Adaptive headlights
High-beam assist
Surround view
Head-up display
HK surround sound
Online entertainment
Speed limit display

Phew! And now the wait.........
San Marino Blue M3 Competition Package with Carbon tat, ACS RS suspension, uprated brakes, 'modded' exhaust and a weeny bit more power courtesy of JF Automotive; M235i Convertible with ACS Sports Suspension; Disco 5 HSE Lux

Last edited by gtsussex; 12-02-2015 at 09:45 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2015, 09:44 AM   #135
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Great spec Guy, will look very very tidy indeed. Has to be Full Leather interior with the Carbon Trim.

You'll get a lot of questions about Pro Nav and Heated seats
      12-02-2015, 09:51 AM   #136
Zippeh
Captain
Wales
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 Manual 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris The Manx View Post
Great spec Guy, will look very very tidy indeed. Has to be Full Leather interior with the Carbon Trim.

You'll get a lot of questions about Pro Nav and Heated seats
I'm sure there's time to change the spec
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2015, 09:54 AM   #137
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330D sDrive M Sport

That'll look stunning Guy. I would say don't forget the ACS performance upgrade, but at £4,500 it looks a bit steep !
Current : F31 330sD, remapped, Ohlins Road & Track, Millway camber plates, Quaife LSD, Stoptech brakes + Pagid RSL1 pads all round, Weichers front strut brace, Eibach front & rear anti-roll bars, Michelin MP4S.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2015, 10:04 AM   #138
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsey View Post
That'll look stunning Guy. I would say don't forget the ACS performance upgrade, but at £4,500 it looks a bit steep !
Note a problem for the Duke of Sussex, taxes will rise!
      12-02-2015, 10:07 AM   #139
gtsussex
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsey View Post
It may have to wait a little while! Jump in performance over mine is enough that I want to enjoy it as it came of factory for a bit. Besides the wife will lose the plot if I start modding that quickly.

The only thing I WILL get done immediately is fit a Variable Sound Controller. Can then choose between standard factory auto setting and having valves open all the time. At $226, it's a bit of a bargain and I've heard a new car with valves manually locked open and it sounds very much better and on cold startup it was daft (although I think next door might well have something to say about that - hence the controller).
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2015, 10:08 AM   #140
gtsussex
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris The Manx View Post
Note a problem for the Duke of Sussex, taxes will rise!
Duchess of Sussex might have something to say about that!!!
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2015, 10:10 AM   #141
Beancounter_74
Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: M140i F20, 449i F33

VERY nice Mr Sussex

I hope to follow in your footsteps to an ///M sometime next year if funds permit
Appreciate 1
      12-02-2015, 10:11 AM   #142
simon.
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F48 25D mSport

Great spec

Jealous!
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2015, 10:29 AM   #143
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Great spec list Guy. Looks stunning in that colour combo.

No CCB?
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2015, 10:36 AM   #144
gtsussex
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NISFAN View Post
Great spec list Guy. Looks stunning in that colour combo.

No CCB?
Thought long and hard about CCB's and have read every post known to man. I'm not sure apart from looking pretty (and no brake dust) they are worth it. I'm a little worried about damaging them and bankrupting myself.

There's no real evidence that with some Pagids and decent brake fluid, steels won't do just as well. Yes a few have boiled their brakes but that was with stock pads and fluid. I am a little perturbed about all this measuring of wear after trackdays with CCB's. Just seems to be a whole heap of hassle.

Thus concluded the money was better spent on other things....
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2015, 10:44 AM   #145
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtsussex View Post
Thought long and hard about CCB's and have read every post known to man. I'm not sure apart from looking pretty (and no brake dust) they are worth it. I'm a little worried about damaging them and bankrupting myself.

There's no real evidence that with some Pagids and decent brake fluid, steels won't do just as well. Yes a few have boiled their brakes but that was with stock pads and fluid. I am a little perturbed about all this measuring of wear after trackdays with CCB's. Just seems to be a whole heap of hassle.

Thus concluded the money was better spent on other things....
Is the consensus that they wear out quick on track days? I had heard they last as long as the car for road use.

To be honest it would be a difficult decision for me too as having driven both on track, I actually prefer the feel of the steel brakes. The only doubt I have, other than brake fade, is disc warping. I think all the steel braked M3/4's I drove suffered from warp discs by the end of the day (according to one of the instructors). Although, that could be due to the cyclic nature of the BMW driving day event?

Either way, it comes with great brakes as standard.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2015, 10:58 AM   #146
gtsussex
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NISFAN View Post
Is the consensus that they wear out quick on track days? I had heard they last as long as the car for road use.

To be honest it would be a difficult decision for me too as having driven both on track, I actually prefer the feel of the steel brakes. The only doubt I have, other than brake fade, is disc warping. I think all the steel braked M3/4's I drove suffered from warp discs by the end of the day (according to one of the instructors). Although, that could be due to the cyclic nature of the BMW driving day event?

Either way, it comes with great brakes as standard.
It does seem that all the hardcore track guys have not gone down that route preferring steel. Indeed some have put the carbons on the shelf for resale. New set of steels is £400 - I can live with that - same price as the pads for the CCBs!!! Set of RS29's and you're a good'un!
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2015, 11:45 AM   #147
Cootie
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335d Xdrive with ACS Springs

Apparently the problem with carbons is on track days people give them abuse, they heat up and the drivers just park them up without giving them chance to cool. This can result in the discs cracking and a very expensive bill to replace them. A mate of mine knows someone with a 911 Turbo S who did this resulting in a five figure bill. Apparently the trick is to do several cool down laps to get some air flowing over them to reduce the temperature gradually and thereby reduce or eliminate the likelihood of them cracking.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2015, 01:41 PM   #148
Mark1966
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4, Lotus and Lancia

If you did ruin the CCBs I assume it is still possible to replace them with normal discs or am I wrong?
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2015, 02:09 PM   #149
gtsussex
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark1966
If you did ruin the CCBs I assume it is still possible to replace them with normal discs or am I wrong?
It would be possible to put larger steels on, yes. But £6k more? If it was £2k (or possibly £3k), I'd take the chance.
Appreciate 0