F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > Chris Harris puts EVs in the bin
GetBMWParts

01-25-2024, 02:26 PM   #1
crAbb
As above, so it is below
Rep
Drives: M340i

Chris Harris puts EVs in the bin

https://www.topgear.com/car-news/opi...sed-car-prices
Appreciate 1
Sennen1733.50
      01-25-2024, 03:29 PM   #2
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: iPace / Mini

Indeed, a journalist looking for clicks who isnt afraid of a bit of controversy to get there, properly reliable. Is he trying to be Clarkson....?

I like the Alfa Quadrafoglio... but I wouldnt swap my iPace for one. I'm not Chris Harris though, my cars are for a reason not a living...
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2024, 04:18 PM   #3
boba-fett
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3

When the EV revolution is dead in the water, and I can't help but think it will be, I wonder how they will be looked back upon.

Laserdisk maybe? Betamax? Second go at the SC5? continue to blame the government, stick an LS2 in, or will they become collectable?

Hmmm..
Appreciate 5
JD64270.50
winther11819.50
Sennen1733.50
      01-25-2024, 04:50 PM   #4
E60525d
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330d M Sport LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by boba-fett View Post
When the EV revolution is dead in the water.
When do you think that will be?
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2024, 05:35 PM   #5
Pond
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E89 Z4, F31 and Z3 project

Quote:
Originally Posted by E60525d View Post
Who knows? It's all about politics, not saving the planet (even though the planet will be fine, it's us and the polar bears that will be wiped out). And the poor Polar Bears don't even drive!

Seriously...if a poll told Labour or the Torys that their persistence toward EVs was a vote loser, they would start looking for investment in more oil fields tomorrow.

The car manufacturers' lobbyists would have a brain fuck for a week, but would soon get a grip and think of a new way to make money!

MONEY and VOTES/POWER. That is ALL that matters in the 21st Century despite what the 'green' movement would have us believe!
Appreciate 7
boba-fett1810.00
D69GMB463.00
Sennen1733.50
Alscoob2120.50
Ennoch2257.00
RobUK2812.00
      01-25-2024, 05:55 PM   #6
boba-fett
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E60525d View Post
Well it is not doing so good at the moment. A lot of people are getting out of them. The fad also seems to be shifting, and the more the dealers HAVE to sell the worse charging on the move gets!

Won't be long before its fisticuffs at the plugs! Be like Mad Max 2 we just want the gasoline and you can leave with your lives! Only Tricity

Anyway 5+ years. Be similar to Diesel, diesel is good, lets get everyone in one, then oh no diesel is bad lets start by keeping them away from London
Appreciate 2
Sennen1733.50
Alscoob2120.50
      01-26-2024, 02:38 AM   #7
AyrshireColin
Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Taycan Turbo

Somebody better get the memo to all these car manufacturers who have committed to going fully electric pretty quick, time is ticking away!
Appreciate 3
      01-26-2024, 02:45 AM   #8
boba-fett
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AyrshireColin View Post
Somebody better get the memo to all these car manufacturers who have committed to going fully electric pretty quick, time is ticking away!
Committed or forced to do?
Appreciate 2
crAbb1225.50
winther11819.50
      01-26-2024, 03:08 AM   #9
TurboWeasel
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW 330D

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Harris
Allegra Stratton. The former climate change advisor to Boris Johnson – who told us all to buy EVs but kept her smelly old diesel Golf because it suited her life.
Mine doesn't smell, and neither does my 330d

I care about mainstream EVs (yet), or the politics/controversary surrounding them but what I do really like is EV conversions done to older cars, such as the Datsun 240Z that Johnny Smith featured recently on his Late Brake Show.

What better way to give an older car more life and appease the tree huggers? "Stick a V8 in it" has been done to death, so EV conversions are the way to go, imo!
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2024, 03:10 AM   #10
crAbb
As above, so it is below
Rep
Drives: M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboWeasel View Post
Mine doesn't smell, and neither does my 330d

I care about mainstream EVs (yet), or the politics/controversary surrounding them but what I do really like is EV conversions done to older cars, such as the Datsun 240Z that Johnny Smith featured recently on his Late Brake Show.

What better way to give an older car more life and appease the tree huggers? "Stick a V8 in it" has been done to death, so EV conversions are the way to go, imo!
I'm going to have to take advice from my Imam on this kind of blasphemy
Appreciate 4
F30Andy1774.00
Pond1839.00
TiredGeek360.50
KRS_SN13538.50
      01-26-2024, 03:20 AM   #11
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: iPace / Mini

Quote:
Well it is not doing so good at the moment. A lot of people are getting out of them. The fad also seems to be shifting, and the more the dealers HAVE to sell the worse charging on the move gets!

Won't be long before its fisticuffs at the plugs! Be like Mad Max 2 we just want the gasoline and you can leave with your lives! Only Tricity

Anyway 5+ years. Be similar to Diesel, diesel is good, lets get everyone in one, then oh no diesel is bad lets start by keeping them away from London
You really do need to stop believing everything you read in the daily fail. I've queued for a charger once in 20k miles, and that was because I was too stupid to get charge earlier and I was thinking that moving to the next one might be a stretch too far - and it was by the M1 on a busy sunday night.

I've queued for petrol more often in the same time period, and combined time of waiting longer, even though I've probably only done 5k petrol miles...

5 banks of new chargers on the M1 on the stretch I use in the 18 months I have been running an EV.

And are a lot of people getting out of them? I know a hire company are selling some - but I wouldnt want to learn EV with a hire car that I only had a few days, I think that was a foolish decision in the first place.... For the owners that have them, I only know one person who went EV and doesnt have one now - and that is my SIL, because he changed jobs and there is no (functioning) sal sac scheme or co. car scheme yet.... but he is working on it, and an EV will be back on their drive in 2024 for his weekly 300 mile commuting journeys as well as family stuff at weekend.
Appreciate 2
F30Andy1774.00
AndyMD340.50
      01-26-2024, 03:51 AM   #12
AyrshireColin
Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Taycan Turbo

Quote:
Committed as far I know.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2024, 04:00 AM   #13
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by isleaiw1 View Post
You really do need to stop believing everything you read in the daily fail. I've queued for a charger once in 20k miles, and that was because I was too stupid to get charge earlier and I was thinking that moving to the next one might be a stretch too far - and it was by the M1 on a busy sunday night.

I've queued for petrol more often in the same time period, and combined time of waiting longer, even though I've probably only done 5k petrol miles...

5 banks of new chargers on the M1 on the stretch I use in the 18 months I have been running an EV.

And are a lot of people getting out of them? I know a hire company are selling some - but I wouldnt want to learn EV with a hire car that I only had a few days, I think that was a foolish decision in the first place.... For the owners that have them, I only know one person who went EV and doesnt have one now - and that is my SIL, because he changed jobs and there is no (functioning) sal sac scheme or co. car scheme yet.... but he is working on it, and an EV will be back on their drive in 2024 for his weekly 300 mile commuting journeys as well as family stuff at weekend.
Bobba's the new wind up merchant Ian, just looking for a rise with nothing better to do it seems. He also believes the RRS PHEV was an EV so lets leave that expertise where it is.

F30Andy1774.00
cramsnik393.00
      01-26-2024, 04:08 AM   #14
E60525d
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330d M Sport LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustChris View Post
Bobba's the new wind up merchant Ian, just looking for a rise with nothing better to do it seems. He also believes the RRS PHEV was an EV so lets leave that expertise where it is.

Appreciate 1
F30Andy1774.00
      01-26-2024, 04:15 AM   #15
F30Andy
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: An Entire Fleet

Quote:
Originally Posted by crAbb View Post
I'm going to have to take advice from my Imam on this kind of blasphemy
Before or after the exorcism?
Appreciate 1
crAbb1225.50
      01-26-2024, 04:30 AM   #16
Sennen
Colonel
Rep
Drives: UP, Alpine & Caterham

Quote:
When the EV revolution is dead in the water, and I can't help but think it will be, I wonder how they will be looked back upon.

Laserdisk maybe? Betamax? Second go at the SC5? continue to blame the government, stick an LS2 in, or will they become collectable?

Hmmm..
I really hope you are right Boba but i fear you will be bitterly disappointed.

The 'EV Bandwagon' is too far down the track now and unless Hydrogen can make inroads then I am afraid we are going to be stuck with this EV sh1te as the only option in the future.

Luckily myself and probably you too will be in a financial position to 'stockpile' the 'good stuff' when they finally pull the plug but most poor sods are going to have to suck it up, like it or not

I am also hoping there will be some loopholes that will enable the 'good stuff' to be imported via countries that dont apply this ridiculous ban.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2024, 04:43 AM   #17
Alscoob
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G31 540i M Sport Edition

Quote:
They're all sheep, what one manufacturer does the others have to as well as they don't want to miss out.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2024, 05:11 AM   #18
AndyMD
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Golf R 2020

I really don't get the hate towards EV's. Baffles me as it's a technological advancement which as much positives and some see negatives.

I also don't get the climate change deniers as it's not so much climate change they deny, it's science and proven theory. Yes the planet has gone through several cycles of temperature over the past few billion years, but it's never had carbon and greenhouses gases pumped into as much as it has in the last 100 years. Chemicals proven to take other essential to life chemicals out of the atmosphere.

Electric cars, if you can charge at home, far out way combustion engine cars. Are they faster - Yes - do they hold the road the same or better? - Yes - Is the build quality the same as ICE cars - Yes - Do they depreciate any worse then ICE cars - No (all of the top 10 most deprecating cars are all petrol) - Do they catch fire more than ICE cars - No - Are they better for the environment - Yes - Are they cheaper to maintain, service and tax, Yes - I for one want to leave this planet for my grandkids in a better shape then when I was born. Are they coming down in price - Yes all he time and will continue to do so as technology gets cheaper.

Is it down to people just like to hear science that suits their narrative, I think so.
95% of EV owners would not go back to ICE cars. I don't understand that some people are so against change, just to mainly stand with others. I would hate to think what they thought of an electric oven 100 years ago, would they be saying, no give me an open fire in the pouring rain to cook over, because that's the way it's been done for the last million years?

Henry Ford summed it up over 100 years ago - 'If the customer was always right, I would have sold faster horses'

Currently learnt a lesson
Appreciate 8
KCH1984951.50
JustChris17489.00
gangzoom1685.00
sahajesh2294.00
dazzapb1050.00
TimMcC502.50
Allworth204.00
      01-26-2024, 05:38 AM   #19
boba-fett
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustChris View Post

You gonna get the gang together, and rise up!

Opinions and discussions is what makes Forums fun, and its better than most of the "what cooker" type sh1te.

There is always going to be people that like an EV and people that don't. This thread already demonstrates that.

I am not a wind up, you lot do that to yourselves. I just state my views.
Appreciate 3
crAbb1225.50
Pond1839.00
Pentland1725.00
      01-26-2024, 05:40 AM   #20
boba-fett
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by isleaiw1 View Post

I'm just a wind up merchant, and clueless about cars.

As you were!
Appreciate 1
crAbb1225.50
      01-26-2024, 10:10 AM   #21
Bryans69
Major
Rep
Drives: TTT, MGB (in bits), VW Camper

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MashinBenzin View Post
yes. you. With your bag of chips. In the past six or seven years have you actually made a normal post without trying to drive an agenda or cause a reaction?

Good thread (sarcasm).

I will mention it to the guy i was talking to earlier who got his first EV last Friday, intending to keep his twin turbo V6 petrol car alongside it. One week later and the V6 is going to be put on the market this weekend. He’s blown away by how good, fast and convenient supercharging is too, as well as the EV itself.

(also, that RRS PHEV had about the same EV range as the brand new one i had for 72 hours in 2018, so the battery ageing line being spun was indeed spin)
What EV has he got, and what V6 is he selling, out of curiosity? I get the EV drive train bit (unlike some on here), but find the current selection of EV cars on sale pretty unappealing from a looks / interior / pleasant place to be point of view. I guess maybe the i4 being the exception (and a Taycan if it was 80% size on the outside....)
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2024, 10:21 AM   #22
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep
Drives: Eiger D5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryans69 View Post
What EV has he got, and what V6 is he selling, out of curiosity? I get the EV drive train bit (unlike some on here), but find the current selection of EV cars on sale pretty unappealing from a looks / interior / pleasant place to be point of view. I guess maybe the i4 being the exception (and a Taycan if it was 80% size on the outside....)
Brand new Model 3, facelift LR (he described it as extra long range, i haven’t checked if that is how they are now branded). And an XF.

I always wanted the EV part, I am amazed myself how much the Tesla has grown on me.

I saw a lot of the facelift M3s on the road in Dubai over Xmas and they’ve certainly improved how it looks ( I’ve always felt the M3 had decent proportions from the rear 3/4s and that part is basically unchanged)

The i4 i agree on, the 4GC shape over two generations is one of the best looking cars on our roads. The Taycan always leaves me a little cold and never seems to have the presence of the Panamera.

Drives - 2020 LR Discovery HSE-L
Previous - 2019 LR Discovery HSE-L // 2016 F36 440i // 2009 E90 320D SE
Appreciate 1
KRS_SN13538.50