F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > Chris Harris puts EVs in the bin
Extreme Powerhouse

01-27-2024, 12:40 PM   #67
boba-fett
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant_7 View Post
Some people only buy new. Just the way it is.

£60k cash of my own money? Easy; 2yr old Tesla Model 3 Performance for £30k and stick the balance in my pension.
The remit was £60k to spend on a single car
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2024, 12:43 PM   #68
Grant_7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Caterham 420R. Tesla Model 3

I wouldn't spend £60k on a car, full stop.
F31 340i | GS with CR & Ash Grain Trim | M Sport+ Pack | Prof Media Plus Pack | Interior Comfort Pack | Leather Dash | Folding Mirrors | Pano Roof | Elec Mem Seats with Lumbar | Adaptive Suspension | Comfort Access | Reverse Cam | Surround View | SLD | Rear Sunblinds | Folding Headrests | Model Designation Delete | Trim Designation Delete | MPPSK
Appreciate 2
boba-fett1804.00
Ennoch2257.00
      01-27-2024, 12:44 PM   #69
Bryans69
Major
Rep
Drives: TTT, MGB (in bits), VW Camper

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by boba-fett View Post
No each to their own of course, having a few cars and an EV is fine, having a EV as a only car and saying your a petrolhead does not fit the remit quite so well to me though.

But hey, all's good, keeps the forum going and excises the brain!

I thought you where looking at RS4's if I recall?
Not seriously, just nosing at one whilst waiting for daughter to finish at a dance competition. That ship has sailed now as we have the camper, but would have been a serious alternative to the 540, but Audi had stopped sales at the time.
Appreciate 1
boba-fett1804.00
      01-27-2024, 01:03 PM   #70
boba-fett
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I wouldn't spend £60k on a car, full stop.
Have you still got the Caterham?
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2024, 03:08 PM   #71
Techno 9000
Captain
Rep
Drives: 435D Estoril Blue

60k on something silly?

Jag F-type R. 5 litres of V8 Supercharged goodness, that makes an epic sound even with GPF.
Appreciate 1
crAbb1224.50
      01-27-2024, 03:23 PM   #72
boba-fett
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Techno 9000 View Post
60k on something silly?

Jag F-type R. 5 litres of V8 Supercharged goodness, that makes an epic sound even with GPF.
I found that a very disappointing car, quick and sounded OK, but not much else, the interior was horrible, all cheap materials and claustrophobic.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2024, 03:38 PM   #73
gangzoom
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E90 335i M sport

For the first time in a long while I felt a bit 'nervous' a round trip to Crystal Palace from Leicester today in the Tesla given all the scare mongering about EVs these days. Was all the chargers going to be rammed? Was my now nearly 7 year old EV battery pack going to fail? Oh my god its 5 degrees do I dare turn on the heating?

The result, there was so many chargers enroute up/down the M1 it became of case of too many choices, London traffics was by far the biggest issue of the trip but even that was actually fine. Despite the low-temperatures, having an old fashioned resistive heater instead of heat pump, our EV with 74k on the clock was returning efficency rating any brand new EV from BMW or Porsche would be happy to achieve.

So as it turns out in 2024 running an EV in the UK is easier than in 2015, who would have guessed. Off to Manchester for a day trip next weekend, and than to Cardiff the following weekend, EVs clearly don't work for some, but for us, as the main family car, despite clocking up the miles, no issues.

Appreciate 4
Danj94527.50
AndyMD340.50
gr4z1135.00
      01-27-2024, 06:54 PM   #74
Scoobyd
Major
Rep
Drives: E46 330ci Sport / Macan GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by isleaiw1 View Post
Or we were out having fun, using our cars rather than talking about them? Can thorughly recommend One Life, the film about the chap who saved 669 jews from Czechoslovakia just before the outbreak of WW2...
Watched this tonight. Great film and an even greater man. Weren’t too many dry eyes in the cinema.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2024, 07:02 PM   #75
Scoobyd
Major
Rep
Drives: E46 330ci Sport / Macan GTS

Quote:
No each to their own of course, having a few cars and an EV is fine, having a EV as a only car and saying your a petrolhead does not fit the remit quite so well to me though.
This was pretty much my thinking on my previous post. Most on here that have EV’s also still run ICE cars alongside them. And that’s a combination that absolutely makes sense to me. The EV for the mundane journeys, the ICE for all else.

I know MashinBenzin has fully transitioned to just an EV now and I completely get that too as he’s admitted on here before that ‘enjoyment’ of driving has changed for him over time and has come to mean something different.

Again, each to their own and we can’t all like the same things. It’s great that there’s the choice. Must admit, given both of my cars average around 22mpg I do envy some of the EV stories on here but then I remind myself that for me, driving isn’t about the pence per mile, it’s about the smiles per mile. EV’s don’t give me that, but they do for others. Makes us all winners I guess!
Appreciate 1
      01-28-2024, 02:36 AM   #76
RobUK
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 340i MPPSK

Garage List
Shell do seem to be all-in on this EV lark.

My local Shell station down south was until recently an 8 gas pump and 1 EV point setup. Day and night it was always busy, but I saw an EV there only very occasionally. Then it closed for several weeks for a refurb and re-opened a couple of months ago with just 4 gas pumps and now 10 EV charging points. It's still busy with ICE cars but you still rarely see an EV charging there (well at least at the times I visit). There's another Shell garage about 7 miles away and they're doing the same.

I'm curious about how Shell sees the change in revenue from fuelling ICE cars to EVs, assuming they'll get far fewer of the former?

I guess one thing is if you turn up at a patrol station in an ICE car, you'll queue for 5 minutes because you know the guy in front will soon be gone. Never owned an EV but I guess for them it's a case of find somewhere else?

PS - we know several people with EVs but they're all two or more car households with an ICE car to back up the EV or for fun days.

Life is a state of mind
Appreciate 1
KRS_SN13537.00
      01-28-2024, 02:41 AM   #77
Grant_7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Caterham 420R. Tesla Model 3

Quote:
Have you still got the Caterham?
Nope, that's gone too. Just wasn't using it (400 miles p/a last year).
F31 340i | GS with CR & Ash Grain Trim | M Sport+ Pack | Prof Media Plus Pack | Interior Comfort Pack | Leather Dash | Folding Mirrors | Pano Roof | Elec Mem Seats with Lumbar | Adaptive Suspension | Comfort Access | Reverse Cam | Surround View | SLD | Rear Sunblinds | Folding Headrests | Model Designation Delete | Trim Designation Delete | MPPSK
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2024, 03:18 AM   #78
boba-fett
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Nope, that's gone too. Just wasn't using it (400 miles p/a last year).
Oh sorry for your loss.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2024, 03:25 AM   #79
boba-fett
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobyd View Post
This was pretty much my thinking on my previous post. Most on here that have EV’s also still run ICE cars alongside them. And that’s a combination that absolutely makes sense to me. The EV for the mundane journeys, the ICE for all else.

I know MashinBenzin has fully transitioned to just an EV now and I completely get that too as he’s admitted on here before that ‘enjoyment’ of driving has changed for him over time and has come to mean something different.

Again, each to their own and we can’t all like the same things. It’s great that there’s the choice. Must admit, given both of my cars average around 22mpg I do envy some of the EV stories on here but then I remind myself that for me, driving isn’t about the pence per mile, it’s about the smiles per mile. EV’s don’t give me that, but they do for others. Makes us all winners I guess!
My dad loves his cars, he is always having a go in mine. I think on the whole he is a secret petrolhead. But his car of choice (or his partners more like being a Vegan tree hugger) is a Prius and he loves it, it’s a game and a different kind of excitement trying to squeeze as many miles per gallon out of it. Unless I’m in it, then it’s a case of “it still goes well” while booting it and feeling a slight change in velocity.
Appreciate 1
Scoobyd1956.00
      01-28-2024, 03:29 AM   #80
Danj94
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW F32 440i

Interesting topic this... I am firmly in the ICE camp and love my stage 1 MHD 40i however, my work car park is like something out of a Tesla advert with a row of about 30 tesla model 3 performance lined up everyday and to be honest when I've been out in one I've been really impressed by the performance even if it is a bit lack lustre in terms of noise etc.

I think these model 3 performance are priced so well at anywhere between 24-29k for a low mileage 3-4 year old car. You wont get better performance for that money and its cheaper to run, cheaper to insure etc etc the only scary bit is how long will the battery last. I work with large industrial batteries for a living as big as from 24V all the way up to 500V all be it old lead acid plante tech but these batteries appear fine before they all of a sudden "fall of the cliff" and they cant be recovered. Often due to the environment they live in (hot/cold temps) and their usage & charging patterns etc.

I would go to a tesla model 3 or similar for the Mrs in the future but I remain skeptical.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2024, 12:50 PM   #81
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 730d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Techno 9000 View Post
60k on something silly?

I'll join in it's a good question, I'd get a Ferrari 456.
      01-28-2024, 01:02 PM   #82
Techno 9000
Captain
Rep
Drives: 435D Estoril Blue

A colleague bought a 456 in 2021, it been sensible in terms of running costs up to now.

Another great sounding V12 available around 60k is the second generation Aston Vanquish. In my opinion, one of the best looking cars ever made.
Appreciate 2
Ennoch2257.00
boba-fett1804.00
      01-28-2024, 02:30 PM   #83
boba-fett
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wills2 View Post
I'll join in it's a good question, I'd get a Ferrari 456.
Interesting choice
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2024, 02:36 PM   #84
boba-fett
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danj94 View Post
Interesting topic this... I am firmly in the ICE camp and love my stage 1 MHD 40i however, my work car park is like something out of a Tesla advert with a row of about 30 tesla model 3 performance lined up everyday and to be honest when I've been out in one I've been really impressed by the performance even if it is a bit lack lustre in terms of noise etc.

I think these model 3 performance are priced so well at anywhere between 24-29k for a low mileage 3-4 year old car. You wont get better performance for that money and its cheaper to run, cheaper to insure etc etc the only scary bit is how long will the battery last. I work with large industrial batteries for a living as big as from 24V all the way up to 500V all be it old lead acid plante tech but these batteries appear fine before they all of a sudden "fall of the cliff" and they cant be recovered. Often due to the environment they live in (hot/cold temps) and their usage & charging patterns etc.

I would go to a tesla model 3 or similar for the Mrs in the future but I remain skeptical.
This does make me wonder as well. Most of the tech comes from Laptop batteries, my current Lenovo Laptop is on its second battery of a 2 year old laptop. It started off giving 8 hours of unplugged life, but that dwindles and dwindles to being under 90 minutes, then dead charge the battery even when its plugged in.

Its got to happen, the problems of batteries has not been solved.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2024, 02:50 PM   #85
E60525d
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330d M Sport LCI

Quote:
This does make me wonder as well. Most of the tech comes from Laptop batteries, my current Lenovo Laptop is on its second battery of a 2 year old laptop. It started off giving 8 hours of unplugged life, but that dwindles and dwindles to being under 90 minutes, then dead charge the battery even when its plugged in.

Why are you worried about this? Have you not mentioned EVs are not for you?
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2024, 03:08 PM   #86
boba-fett
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E60525d View Post
Why are you worried about this? Have you not mentioned EVs are not for you?
Who said I was worried?
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2024, 03:11 PM   #87
gangzoom
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E90 335i M sport

Quote:

Our EV is 7 years old this year, will have done over 85k by the end of the year. Battery degradation is at 5-7% depending on how cold it is. I’ve lost count the number of mobile phones and laptop batteries I’ve gone through in the same time period. DC rapid charging speed/curve is identical now than new (in fact it charges quicker than new due to more higher power chargers that can sustain 100KW+ around).

Comparing an EV battery pack to something found in a consumer electronic device is like comparing the engine in a pull start lawnmower with the engine in a M5. Both are combustion engines, both run off petrol, so what’s the difference?
Appreciate 2
AndyMD340.50
      01-28-2024, 03:12 PM   #88
E60525d
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330d M Sport LCI

Quote:
Who said I was worried?
Appreciate 0