F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > 4 GC
Extreme Powerhouse

02-07-2015, 10:50 AM   #23
joewalton
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2015 428i Gran Coupé

Quote:
Originally Posted by floydarogers View Post
If that's the case, why isn't a DCT offered as the standard transmission? Why isn't an MT available? Why does it not come with Sport Line standard? Why does Luxury Line exist?

Face it. It's a poseur car.
I'll let BMW answer:

"The "4" doesn't just mark the start of a new cycle, it represents the zenith of a development curve. BMW has given the new model its own individual character and a standalone design – and, in so doing, has turned "4" into segment shorthand for aesthetic and dynamic appeal. The latest addition to a nomenclature that sees BMW building on the fine tradition of its large BMW 6 Series and BMW 8 Series Coupes, the "4" stands for greater sportiness, greater exclusivity and even clearer differentiation from the BMW 3 Series range."

Let's recap:

"It's own individual character."
"Shorthand for aesthetic and dynamic appeal."
"4 stands for greater sportiness, exclusivity, and differentiation."
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2015, 10:54 AM   #24
joewalton
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pheerix View Post

Most of this hate is just jealousy.

I wish they'd stop. Why can't they be happy that BMW just created its best four-door car and that we're lucky enough to be among the first to own them?

You know what's ironic? It's inevitable that every 3 Series Sedan enthusiast winds up in a 4 Series Gran Coupe. I mean, everyone runs around trying to lower their Sedan's, make 'em look wider, make 'em look meaner. That's the Gran Coupe's starting point. Take the gorgeous 4 Coupe, cut two little doors, touchdown.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2015, 10:57 AM   #25
Blubaron79
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by joewalton
Quote:
Originally Posted by pheerix View Post

Most of this hate is just jealousy.
[IMG]http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/b...r/DSC_0025.jpg[/IMG]

I wish they'd stop. Why can't they be happy that BMW just created its best four-door car and that we're lucky enough to be among the first to own them?

You know what's ironic? It's inevitable that every 3 Series Sedan enthusiast winds up in a 4 Series Gran Coupe. I mean, everyone runs around trying to lower their Sedan's, make 'em look wider, make 'em look meaner. That's the Gran Coupe's starting point. Take the gorgeous 4 Coupe, cut two little doors, touchdown.
I'm not hating on anyone's GC. I stood there at the dealer already owning a 4 coupe. I had the choice between both the GC and the 3. I chose the 3 because it works better for me. We all have different needs and tastes.

Previous: '18 340i xDrive; '15 335 xDrive; '14 435i xDrive; '09 335 E92 xDrive
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2015, 11:17 AM   #26
floydarogers
Curmudgeon and Pedant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d, 2014 328d

Quote:
Originally Posted by joewalton View Post
I'll let BMW answer:

"The "4" doesn't just mark the start of a new cycle, it represents the zenith of a development curve. BMW has given the new model its own individual character and a standalone design – and, in so doing, has turned "4" into segment shorthand for aesthetic and dynamic appeal. The latest addition to a nomenclature that sees BMW building on the fine tradition of its large BMW 6 Series and BMW 8 Series Coupes, the "4" stands for lesser sportiness, greater exclusivity (more costly) and even clearer differentiation - it's got a different number - from the BMW 3 Series range."

Let's recap:

"It's own individual character."
"Shorthand for aesthetic and dynamic appeal."
"4 stands for lessersportiness, more costly, and different number."
Fixed.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2015, 11:22 AM   #27
joewalton
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Fixed.
I guess if I owned two out-of-style 3 Series just rendered obsolete by a new four-door Coupe I'd be miserable too.

You're forgiven. Carry on.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2015, 12:21 PM   #28
Moisted
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i F36 GranCoupe EBII

I guess it depends on where you stand. Having owned my 4GC for a week, I keep wondering why bmw would still make 3 series. The 4GC has that practicality of the 3 and the good looks of the 4. Why would anyone buy a 3?

But I realize there may be other angles to the argument. I just don't see any...
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2015, 12:25 PM   #29
ZilberGrau ZHP
Captain
Rep
Drives: 435GC MGray, 330 ZHP (Wifes),

Just for the record- I have had my GC for 3 months- and have had more compliments on this car than ANY car I have owned- and i have owend some really nice ones (including Triumph TR7, Z4M, A6 2.7T and E46 ZHP coupe AND sedan, GTIs etc...) and some of those compliments were from 20 somethings.

Lets review:
1> Substantially lower than F30- and because of this the driving experience is just different- I would say better.
2> Wider
3> Much more exclusive- so many F30s out they are like Hondas now
4> Hatch is supremely usable and hidden PERFECTLY
5> I would say looks better than the F30 but that is subjective
6> I would say in some colors and configs looks as good as a Panamera- for 30-50k less- (especially after adding some H&R spacers 10mm front 13mm rear)

Perfect car for all occasions IMO ( I would like to add MPPK and get the other 25 lb. ft.)
But other than that Im in love.

Last edited by ZilberGrau ZHP; 02-07-2015 at 12:32 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2015, 01:15 PM   #30
Moisted
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i F36 GranCoupe EBII

The only thing I've noticed so far is that my daughter has a hard time putting her seat belt on in the back seat of my 4GC because her booster seat doesn't quite fit on the somewhat sloping back seats. But I've never had an F30 to know whether she would have the same issue.

Other than that, I don't know why you would choose F30 over 4GC. Perhaps if you were after a more conservative look.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2015, 01:20 PM   #31
DrifterX
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i M Sport 6MT+RWD

Garage List
When I was shopping around for cars, I was initially very interested in the coupes only and that's why I was only interested in the F32 in the BMW line. It wasn't until I saw the F36 (GC) in the show room when I was just wow'd, and this was immediately after checking out a couple F32s in person. It change my view on the possibility of getting a 4 door car with the aggressive looks I wanted... I'm 27 years old and naturally a very logical person, here's why picked the 4 series Gran Coupe over the 4 series Coupe & 3 series...
- I plan on keeping the car for 10+ years so getting a 4 door car now makes sense when I get kids in the next few years. I know people who had to get rid of their coupes because they weren't as accessible and lost money on those cars. The 4 series GC doesn't have the biggest seats in the rears but at least I won't be struggling in this car when I do get kids.
- It's got 4 doors with identical road presence as the coupe, albeit the few mil higher roof line. I can enjoy the aggressive looks without sacrificing practicality, the F36 is currently my favourite looking 4 door from all the junior executive cars in this price range
- Comes with that hatch which you wouldn't think is a hatch. It makes loading the trunk a breeze; I currently own a 93 240SX fastback an love the hatch accessibility
- It had a few extra things like rear heated seats as standard (Canadian model) but that's not a big deal since my car will be fully loaded anyways
- The 4 series comes with LED headlights... I know 3 series LCI will be coming with LED headlights as well but I needed to get a car sooner than later. Plus, I love the styling of the 4 series anyways
- I'm getting the coral red leather interior, I love the fact that the lower portion of the dash is also red. It looks better and has better continuity IMO over the all black dash in the 3 series

Luckily for me, the F36 in Canada comes in manual on the RWD 428i GC base model only (which I think is ridiculous on BMW's part). One of my requirements is manual car and rear wheel drive; getting the base 428i GC with all the options (minus the auto) just made sense.

Last edited by DrifterX; 02-07-2015 at 01:38 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2015, 01:30 PM   #32
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrifterX View Post
When I was shopping around for cars, I was initially very interested in the coupes only and that's why I was only interested in the F32 in the BMW line. It wasn't until I saw the F36 (GC) in the show room when I was just wow'd, and this was immediately after checking out a couple F32s in person. I'm 27 years old and naturally a very logical person, here's why picked the 4 series Gran Coupe over the 4 series Coupe...
- I plan on keeping the car for 10+ years so getting a 4 door car now makes sense when I get kids in the next few years. I know people who had to get rid of their coupes because they weren't as accessible and lost money on those cars. The 4 series GC doesn't have the biggest seats in the rears but at least I won't be struggling in this car when I do get kids.
- It's got 4 doors with identical road presence as the coupe, albeit the few mil higher roof line. I can enjoy the aggressive looks without sacrificing practicality, the F36 is currently my favourite looking 4 door from all the junior executive cars in this price range
- Comes with that hatch which you wouldn't think is a hatch. It makes loading the trunk a breeze; I currently own a 93 240SX fastback an love the hatch accessibility
- It had a few extra things like rear heated seats as standard (Canadian model) but that's not a big deal since my car will be fully loaded anyways
Exactly what i'm thinking! Albeit that i'll only be keeping it 3-4 years.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2015, 01:31 PM   #33
erichighley
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X1, i3 BEV

Garage List
Quote:
If that's the case, why isn't a DCT offered as the standard transmission? Why isn't an MT available? Why does it not come with Sport Line standard? Why does Luxury Line exist?

Face it. It's a poseur car.
That hurts my feelings
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2015, 02:38 PM   #34
floydarogers
Curmudgeon and Pedant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d, 2014 328d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moisted View Post
I guess it depends on where you stand. Having owned my 4GC for a week, I keep wondering why bmw would still make 3 series. The 4GC has that practicality of the 3 and the good looks of the 4. Why would anyone buy a 3?

But I realize there may be other angles to the argument. I just don't see any...
You do realize that the 4 has an inch less frontseat headroom, and substantially less rearseat leg and head room. When carrying adults, that makes a lot of difference. The 4GC is also 200 lbs heavier than a 3-series sedan - sorry, but the lower cross section doesn't overcome the weight when it comes to mileage. The lower seating position doesn't fly with short people (like my wife.) And the frameless windows don't work in the cold because they freeze up and you can't get the door open... Don't you know that the American public hates hatchbacks because they're too practical?
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2015, 02:57 PM   #35
ZilberGrau ZHP
Captain
Rep
Drives: 435GC MGray, 330 ZHP (Wifes),

Quote:
Originally Posted by erichighley View Post
That hurts my feelings
lolol
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2015, 03:02 PM   #36
Aaaaaaaaa
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: The other M3

All non M cars are poseur cars if you think about it.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2015, 03:57 PM   #37
300hp
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: X5 & 335xi

I think a lot of emotions tend to cloud peoples judgement on this but here is my 2 cents.

Sportiness
You will not find ANY testing that suggests the GC is sportier than the sedan. Its simply not there. What I have seen is the sedan has the quickest 0-60 times (about 5.1s after rollout), see edmunds. The GC has not been tested by anyone at 5.1s.
In respect of roadholding/handling, neither car beats the other in these tests, both test at around 0.89g. Note the N55 equipped GC has not been tested, only the 28i.

I believe when BMW says its sportier, they are not referring to how the car drives but how the car looks.

Exclusivity
Someone has already said the GC is not for everyone, its not a product that was designed to appeal to a wider audience. However people confuse the "nicheness"of this product with a sense of accomplishment. Something to the extent of "I am well off and I can now afford a GC". This is simply not true. The GC starts at 42k or so, I don't have the sales figures for the GC but I can certainly say this, these are entry level luxury cars at these prices. Mercedes for example sales 2000 GLs a month. We can certainly agree they are more GLs than the 4 GC and the GL starts at 65k. Does this mean the GC driver is more accomplished than the GL driver? The average GL sold by Mercedes is probably 10s of thousands above the base 65k GL450, easily about twice the price of the 42k base 4 GC. So I always find it fascinating that people confuse a niche product and the related "exclusiveness" with how successful they have become. The world is bigger than the entry level luxury sedan segment, way bigger.

Admiration
We have all gone through this, my EB II F30 was one of the first few Msports. People looked at the car and liked what they saw and gave me compliments. This was a function of the car looking different from the non Msport versions. However I never let that get to my head, this admirarion never made me equate the car to a Porsche Panamera, its an entry level luxury car.
If we feel so accomplished by our F3Xs, what of the guys paying cash for two kids in Ivey league schools while driving a Prius? I just think we get carried away sometimes

Exterior
I think its fair to say the GC looks great. However I don't think the F30 looks ugly. Its not two sides of a coin here.

Deep Sea Blue Metallic 2013 X5 35d Sport
Prem, Convenience, Cold and Premium Sound packages
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2015, 04:17 PM   #38
4GCRacer
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 435i Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ze4eMCe View Post
Just for the record- I have had my GC for 3 months- and have had more compliments on this car than ANY car I have owned- and i have owend some really nice ones (including Triumph TR7, Z4M, A6 2.7T and E46 ZHP coupe AND sedan, GTIs etc...) and some of those compliments were from 20 somethings.

Lets review:
1> Substantially lower than F30- and because of this the driving experience is just different- I would say better.
2> Wider
3> Much more exclusive- so many F30s out they are like Hondas now
4> Hatch is supremely usable and hidden PERFECTLY
5> I would say looks better than the F30 but that is subjective
6> I would say in some colors and configs looks as good as a Panamera- for 30-50k less- (especially after adding some H&R spacers 10mm front 13mm rear)

Perfect car for all occasions IMO ( I would like to add MPPK and get the other 25 lb. ft.)
But other than that Im in love.

Great Looking car! I like what the spacers did for the stance. Also the tint really adds to sinister look. Did you lower it? It looks lower than some other 4GC's.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2015, 04:20 PM   #39
Blubaron79
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300hp View Post
Exclusivity
Someone has already said the GC is not for everyone, its not a product that was designed to appeal to a wider audience. However people confuse the "nicheness"of this product with a sense of accomplishment. Something to the extent of "I am well off and I can now afford a GC". This is simply not true. The GC starts at 42k or so, I don't have the sales figures for the GC but I can certainly say this, these are entry level luxury cars at these prices. Mercedes for example sales 2000 GLs a month. We can certainly agree they are more GLs than the 4 GC and the GL starts at 65k. Does this mean the GC driver is more accomplished than the GL driver? The average GL sold by Mercedes is probably 10s of thousands above the base 65k GL450, easily about twice the price of the 42k base 4 GC. So I always find it fascinating that people confuse a niche product and the related "exclusiveness" with how successful they have become. The world is bigger than the entry level luxury sedan segment, way bigger.
Agreed. I was sitting at the dealer with 60k to spend looking at both cars and I chose the F30 over the F36, and I currently own an F32.

Appreciate 0
      02-07-2015, 04:36 PM   #40
300hp
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: X5 & 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blubaron79
Quote:
Exclusivity
Agreed. I was sitting at the dealer with 60k to spend looking at both cars and I chose the F30 over the F36, and I currently own an F32.
You are getting the silver msport F30 right? That silver looks sharp and can't wait to see the pics

Deep Sea Blue Metallic 2013 X5 35d Sport
Prem, Convenience, Cold and Premium Sound packages
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2015, 04:59 PM   #41
Blubaron79
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
You are getting the silver msport F30 right? That silver looks sharp and can't wait to see the pics
That's me... I'm actually leaving work now to drive past the dealer to see if the truck made it in from NJ, and dropped off my car.

Appreciate 0
      02-07-2015, 05:02 PM   #42
2k15f30
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i M Sport

IMHO, The 4GC is a hot ride. I just bought a 335i and had this as an option but I decided against it. For me, what it boiled down to was the residual. I just couldn't justify the added cost of the 4GC plus the additional hit in payment every month due to the residual.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2015, 07:12 PM   #43
joewalton
Banned
Rep

Quote:
- I'm getting the coral red leather interior, I love the fact that the lower portion of the dash is also red. It looks better and has better continuity IMO over the all black dash in the 3 series

Great choice with Coral Red, I love mine and the wrap-around effect in the 4 Series can't be beat.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2015, 07:14 PM   #44
joewalton
Banned
Rep

Quote:

The differences between the 2-door Coupe and the 4-door Coupe are fractional, there are some who think the Gran Coupe looks a bit more sporty than the Coupe as it has less trunk in the profile.
Appreciate 0