F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > AVIN Multimedia System Experience?
GetBMWParts

04-25-2016, 01:34 PM   #1
sh0N
Rep
Drives: 2014 F32

AVIN Multimedia System Experience?

Hello All,

I spent the last weekend attempting to install a android based multimedia/navi system into my 2014 F32. I have searched the web and these forums and see no documented experience with the system. I was curious as to if there is anyone out there whom has had experience with Avin? I sadly was not able to get the system to fully work with the BMW interface and pretty bummed as it was way cool imo.

In short, I am hoping someone else with a F32 has had luck installing?
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2016, 07:07 AM   #2
Vitoco
Infidel
Rep
Drives: iX3 LCI M Pro Carbon B

After looking at the videos and seeing the price, I am really interested. Didnt opt for the Navi as it just wasnt and still isnt worth it (~3000 USD in Sweden) but this is something else. U get more functionality and beeing and Android system it opens a lot more doors, and for only 699 USD?? Thread subscribed.

Former: Glacier Ag. F31 328iA RWD M Sport oct. 2012, sold July 2022
| Sport Automatic | Adap. M Susp. | Pano. Moonroof | 20" ATS Racelight Grey w. Michelin PSS| M Sport brakes | Harman Kardon | Elec. Seats | PDC F&R | ACC Stop&Go | 335i MPE | Perf. Parts |
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2016, 09:16 AM   #3
sh0N
Rep

It is indeed at a great price point and in theory super easy to install. The downside is, I could not get it to work. I worked with Tommy of Avin who was super responsive and tried supporting every effort I made, but in the end it was simply a dead end. I hope in the near future the bugs are worked out, or someone can share their success story because having this system would be pure bliss, especially for someone with the 6.5". With that said, if I had a 8.8" I would probably go this route after I got to see its full potential (minus all the bugs of course).
Appreciate 1
      04-29-2016, 12:57 PM   #4
f30GTR
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 AW F30 335i M-Sport MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by sh0N View Post
It is indeed at a great price point and in theory super easy to install. The downside is, I could not get it to work. I worked with Tommy of Avin who was super responsive and tried supporting every effort I made, but in the end it was simply a dead end. I hope in the near future the bugs are worked out, or someone can share their success story because having this system would be pure bliss, especially for someone with the 6.5". With that said, if I had a 8.8" I would probably go this route after I got to see its full potential (minus all the bugs of course).
What exactly was the issue? This looks interesting. I would be more interested in android auto being build into it.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2016, 02:05 PM   #5
beanbaguk
Captain
Spain
Rep
Drives: BMW G30 520d M-Sport

I spent some time looking at their videos and information and while it looks like a great option for older cars, it's pretty poor in terms of GUI for the BMW iDrive system.

The NBT looks far superior and I'd even go as far as saying the CIC system looks more polished.

Perhaps it's something that can be worked on as it is Android based so easily upgradable, but I do wonder if it's just worth paying the extra and getting an NBT kit and emulator?
      04-29-2016, 02:14 PM   #6
sh0N
Rep

To be honest, I have no idea what a NBT is. Before I purchased I could only find one video of the system, but I took the gamble.

I will admit, the iDrive side from a UI standpoint was not good. Everything was stretched as it was (I assume) coded for the 6.5" screen. On the android side of things, their interface was so so, random hints of Chinese in menus which could not be changed. With that in mind, the screen clarity was great. Touch was super responsive. Having an andorid (this is not android auto) tablet in the dash IMO was going to be awesome.

My issues were, iDrive's functions would not fully "load"(I am not sure how else to explain it). For instance, the system gong when the car starts
or seatbelt is undone, etc. did not sound. When the car started up, I got a message of "no tones found". Secondly, I was unable to get the sat radio to fully load and I could not even scan for AM/FM. Once on the android side, I again could get no sound, nor the mic to pick up during a test call. Given these issues, I am sure other things would of popped up the more I used it, however, I personally feel there is a lot of potential here. The oem upgrades are I believe 2/3's more the cost, and I was prepared to gamble and in the end, get more functionality.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2016, 02:18 PM   #7
sh0N
Rep

Also, as for upgrading the OS, as this is Kit Kat, it's pretty dated to my standards. To upgrade you'd have to wait for their devs to create the package, it was not something one could simply upgrade with a simple menu selection.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2016, 08:20 PM   #8
sh0N
Rep

So, This company is run by a guy named Tommy Tang and its just a tragic operation. I returned the unit to his (home?) China address (avinusa.com and a US phone number is presented on the website, this is not based in the US) at the cost of $90 which was promised to be returned. The package has been sitting in China for a bit and I asked if the package was received and inquired about the refund process. Tommy refunded the $699.99 for the unit ASAP, but then noted that I returned the product with "huge scratches on the screen", and listed a part number. It so happens that the picture he sent me the the part number he noted is CLEARLY not my unit I shipped, not even close. Even better, the screen he showed me via one horrible picture still had the protective film on it as to not actually damage the unit in his con artistry. Anyhow, tracking still says its not received. So, in short, I really don't care about getting the $90 back, I am simply burnt by what a con artist unethical operation this is. I plan on creating an entire post noting my experience from start to finish as its just so interesting to me, and hopefully informs fellow consumers.

Moral of the story is, this company is extremely fraudulent in my opinon. Buyer beware.
Appreciate 2
      05-13-2016, 09:10 AM   #9
Vitoco
Infidel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sh0N View Post
So, This company is run by a guy named Tommy Tang and its just a tragic operation. I returned the unit to his (home?) China address (avinusa.com and a US phone number is presented on the website, this is not based in the US) at the cost of $90 which was promised to be returned. The package has been sitting in China for a bit and I asked if the package was received and inquired about the refund process. Tommy refunded the $699.99 for the unit ASAP, but then noted that I returned the product with "huge scratches on the screen", and listed a part number. It so happens that the picture he sent me the the part number he noted is CLEARLY not my unit I shipped, not even close. Even better, the screen he showed me via one horrible picture still had the protective film on it as to not actually damage the unit in his con artistry. Anyhow, tracking still says its not received. So, in short, I really don't care about getting the $90 back, I am simply burnt by what a con artist unethical operation this is. I plan on creating an entire post noting my experience from start to finish as its just so interesting to me, and hopefully informs fellow consumers.

Moral of the story is, this company is extremely fraudulent in my opinon. Buyer beware.
Well, they lost me at hello!!

| Sport Automatic | Adap. M Susp. | Pano. Moonroof | 20" ATS Racelight Grey w. Michelin PSS| M Sport brakes | Harman Kardon | Elec. Seats | PDC F&R | ACC Stop&Go | 335i MPE | Perf. Parts |
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2016, 10:37 AM   #10
PuterPro
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 2015 320i Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitoco View Post
Well, they lost me at hello!!

Yeah, roger THAT!

Lost me a Tommy TANG. Do I really want Chinese hacker software in my car? I think not.

Thanks sh0N !! Appreciate the post.

PuterPro

Last edited by PuterPro; 05-13-2016 at 10:40 AM.. Reason: Fix a line
Appreciate 1
      05-13-2016, 12:08 PM   #11
Vitoco
Infidel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuterPro View Post

Yeah, roger THAT!

Lost me a Tommy TANG. Do I really want Chinese hacker software in my car? I think not.

Thanks sh0N !! Appreciate the post.

PuterPro
Haha gotta be honest, had I only heard his name he would've had me - Tommy Tang, a name worth an order just for the awesomeness of said name

Appreciate 0
      05-13-2016, 06:17 PM   #12
PuterPro
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 2015 320i Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitoco View Post
Haha gotta be honest, had I only heard his name he would've had me - Tommy Tang, a name worth an order just for the awesomeness of said name
To be sure, but not for THAT kinda money!!
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2016, 07:12 PM   #13
Vitoco
Infidel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuterPro View Post
To be sure, but not for THAT kinda money!!
Naah you're right bro

Appreciate 0
      05-31-2016, 01:29 AM   #14
tommy@avinusa.com
Rep
Drives: M3

Hi Guys,

We would like to clear up some confusion about the statement that sh0N made.

We received the returned unit that sh0N had sent back to us. Upon inspection, we noticed some scratches on the screen and took some photos of it. The scratches were on top of the screen protector so it was not a big deal. We issued sh0N the full $699.99 refund as agreed upon anyways. After issuing the full $699.99 refund back to sh0N we notified him that the refund was issued and he can see the funds back in his PayPal account. In that same email, we showed him a photo of the scratches. We did not put any blame or deduct any penalty from the refund we simply shared what the condition of the unit was like when we opened the returned package. We thought that would have concluded everything since the refund has already been issued.

About an hour later after the refund was made and the email sent we received 10+ angry email from sh0N using 4 letter words because the tracking number showed that the unit was not received by us yet but we issued him the $699.99 refund anyways. We were really confused why he was angry since the refund was already issued. We offered to send more photos of the unit and serial number showing that it matches the unit that he sent us but that did not matter as he continued to accuse us of being unethical and a con artist. We are still confused how issuing him the full refund makes us unethical and a con artist. We have since sent him the extra photos showing that it is, in fact, the same unit and same serial number as the unit he returned.

We have been helping forum members for over 10 years. If there are any concerns or mistakes on our part do let us know and we will promptly correct them.

Here is the link to the Android navigation system.

https://avinusa.com/bmw-3-series-f30...on-system.html
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
bad karma445.00
      05-31-2016, 02:47 AM   #15
mbfanos
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 330i G20

Popcorn timeeeee
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2016, 04:38 PM   #16
JOE YOUNG
SEAL TEAM SIX
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E46 E90 E84 F30 X3G01 LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy@avinusa.com View Post
Hi Guys,

We would like to clear up some confusion about the statement that sh0N made.

We received the returned unit that sh0N had sent back to us. Upon inspection, we noticed some scratches on the screen and took some photos of it. The scratches were on top of the screen protector so it was not a big deal. We issued sh0N the full $699.99 refund as agreed upon anyways. After issuing the full $699.99 refund back to sh0N we notified him that the refund was issued and he can see the funds back in his PayPal account. In that same email, we showed him a photo of the scratches. We did not put any blame or deduct any penalty from the refund we simply shared what the condition of the unit was like when we opened the returned package. We thought that would have concluded everything since the refund has already been issued.

About an hour later after the refund was made and the email sent we received 10+ angry email from sh0N using 4 letter words because the tracking number showed that the unit was not received by us yet but we issued him the $699.99 refund anyways. We were really confused why he was angry since the refund was already issued. We offered to send more photos of the unit and serial number showing that it matches the unit that he sent us but that did not matter as he continued to accuse us of being unethical and a con artist. We are still confused how issuing him the full refund makes us unethical and a con artist. We have since sent him the extra photos showing that it is, in fact, the same unit and same serial number as the unit he returned.

We have been helping forum members for over 10 years. If there are any concerns or mistakes on our part do let us know and we will promptly correct them.

Here is the link to the Android navigation system.

https://avinusa.com/bmw-3-series-f30...on-system.html
Simple. He obviously wanted a refund for the return post, which he claimed you promised to do upon receiving the item back.

So why don't you pm him to sort it out rather you 2 shouting out all your frustrations here.
      06-09-2016, 08:20 PM   #17
eco_r_i
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2016 bmw 328i xdrive

I'm kind of curious if any1 here has experience with google maps on this system, or does any one know of other alternatives to having google maps on the display unit?
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2016, 02:27 PM   #18
xl3vax
Rep
Drives: 428i BMW

Hi Sh0n,
I have also a 2014 F32 and I purchased also the AVIN kit. Before I do the installation, I am trying to go step by step virtually so see if I will get stuck somewhere. These are my questions:
) I found in the box 2 power cables harness. One has the 3.5mm jack. Which one should I use?
2) if I used the harness cable with the 3.5mm, where do I connect it? There are no instructions on how to connect it under the armrest.
3) Where should I install the GPS antenna? There are no instructions.

thanks!
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2016, 07:28 PM   #19
eco_r_i
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2016 bmw 328i xdrive

Ok I had this thing professionally installed. The installer didn't use the 3.5mm jack and both cables were essentially the same. You will lose the internal wiring to the aux in arm rest because of the way the power cables are made. Basically you will have the aux port that doesn't do anything. So far the system is what I wanted to be, google maps and "Ok google" for voice navigation. Personally I think its better than the bmw nav unit. Of course there are a lot of limitations with this unit.

Last edited by eco_r_i; 07-30-2016 at 07:45 PM..
Appreciate 0