F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > SIB/TSB: BMW will reprogram Auto Start-Stop to default to last user mode
Extreme Powerhouse

10-11-2012, 05:04 PM   #177
brenthays
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i

I picked up a 2013 328i last month and promptly became rather annoyed that the ASS system defaults to "on".
A Google search located the ASS recoding "service bulletin number" on this forum today.
I emailed the dealer's New Car Sales Manager with the service bulletin number, asked for complimentary service, & was told "we'll look into it".
I promptly received a followup reply that BMW North America warrants the recoding procedure "at customer request" (the key is to ask nicely but firmly).
They scheduled a free 3-hour service appt in 2 weeks, with a loaner.
Note: The dealer (in Oklahoma City) had yet to hear about the bulletin, but cooperated once it was verified.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2012, 05:31 PM   #178
Jbrock22
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2pw

Garage List
BMW   [0.00]
Had mine done at the dealer. It takes hours to download. I love the car again.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2013, 11:31 AM   #179
tricbear
Registered
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335xi Msport

auto start/stop

I am expecting my new 335xi M-Sport at the end of the month. Will the auto start/stop be factory programmed to last user mode, or do I have to ask the dealership to do this? This is a Canadian build.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2013, 01:10 PM   #180
Weaselboy
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 540i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricbear View Post
I am expecting my new 335xi M-Sport at the end of the month. Will the auto start/stop be factory programmed to last user mode, or do I have to ask the dealership to do this? This is a Canadian build.
You will need to have the dealer reprogram it. It does not come with last user mode from the factory.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2013, 02:32 PM   #181
itwasepic
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Update as of 26-MAR

Hi all,

I just put in a request to my dealer to have this bulletin executed for my newly ordered vehicle once it arrives in the States. My SA told me that BMWNA has since killed this option as it negatively impacts the EPA numbers they (BMW) have to report to the US Gov. That being said, my SA is trying to get an exception approval for my vehicle. Hopefully it gets approved. Rumor is also that the new memory setting might be available later, but with a charge to the customer.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2013, 02:33 PM   #182
Yobyot
Major
Rep
Drives: MY19 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasepic View Post
Hi all,

I just put in a request to my dealer to have this bulletin executed for my newly ordered vehicle once it arrives in the States. My SA told me that BMWNA has since killed this option as it negatively impacts the EPA numbers they (BMW) have to report to the US Gov. That being said, my SA is trying to get an exception approval for my vehicle. Hopefully it gets approved. Rumor is also that the new memory setting might be available later, but with a charge to the customer.
Get a new SA, or better, a whole new dealer. These people are going to wear you down to a nub before the warranty is over.
Produced: 2018-08-15; Delivered 2018-08-22
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2013, 04:52 PM   #183
narlus
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 335xi

i can only give my perspective of the ASS feature when using a MT, but i think it's well thought out and works great. i've never run into any problems using it, and if even saves me just a tiny bit, what's the downside (assuming no long term effect on the starter or battery...which i guess remains to be seen)?
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2013, 09:22 PM   #184
Tsuyoi
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by narlus View Post
i can only give my perspective of the ASS feature when using a MT, but i think it's well thought out and works great. i've never run into any problems using it, and if even saves me just a tiny bit, what's the downside (assuming no long term effect on the starter or battery...which i guess remains to be seen)?
Downside is the startup judders. I don't care what some people say, I can definitely feel it, and it annoys the shit outa me when I'm enjoying my 45k machine.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2013, 10:51 PM   #185
Bama335
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 E82 135is '13 E88 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by narlus View Post
+1, if it's a long stoplight, I let out the clutch and she shuts off - otherwise, keep my left foot on the floor, and she stays running.

Before i ordered, I did test drive a 328 with the 8AT and wasnt impressed with the auto start/stop - would be annoying without the "last setting" programmed
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2013, 10:54 PM   #186
DarkTrigger
Professional
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i MPPK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsuyoi View Post
Downside is the startup judders. I don't care what some people say, I can definitely feel it, and it annoys the shit outa me when I'm enjoying my 45k machine.
It kind of feels like that chill you get when someone runs their thumb down your back.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2013, 10:12 AM   #187
Tsuyoi
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkTrigger View Post
It kind of feels like that chill you get when someone runs their thumb down your back.
When my wife first rode in it, and didn't know about auto start stop, she kept thinking someone bumped into us from behind at a stoplight whenever the engine came back on (it was that noticeable), and would freak out. Had it coded ASAP, never went back.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2013, 05:08 PM   #188
OzGobo
Australia
Rep
Drives: F30 320d Sedan

Wondering what they are charging in the US for this?

Hey guys,

Just wondering what BMW US is charging for this to be done? I've been quoted $300AUD in Sydney for it which seems just a little bit steep for them to hook up the car to an internet connection and leave it for a couple of hours - and they won't provide a loaner while its there without cost.

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2013, 05:48 PM   #189
bimmermeupscoty
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i Mineral Gray

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzGobo View Post
Just wondering what BMW US is charging for this to be done? I've been quoted $300AUD in Sydney for it which seems just a little bit steep for them to hook up the car to an internet connection and leave it for a couple of hours - and they won't provide a loaner while its there without cost.
In US there is no charge, as it is covered by warranty.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2013, 05:54 PM   #190
giorgioarmani
Private
Rep
Drives: silver m sport 335i & 19s

Has anybody attempted to do this in Europe with a dealer over here? i get the feeling id get an eyebrow scrunch or two
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2013, 06:41 PM   #191
OzGobo
Australia
Rep
Drives: F30 320d Sedan

Wondering what they are charging in the US for this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmermeupscoty View Post
In US there is no charge, as it is covered by warranty.
Thanks bimmermeupscoty - I'll go fight the good fight with BMW Australia. Appreciate the info
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2013, 04:13 AM   #192
reedo302
Estorilblau Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan Estoril 328i M Sport

My car is STILL sitting at the port in Baltimore right now for whatever reason, and I told my CA that I wanted the ASS programmed to remember last as soon as it arrived at the dealership. He told me that it is still being done, but I am required to take delivery of the vehicle and drive it for a bit before I can have them do it. Told him I'd give it a week.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2013, 06:51 AM   #193
bimmermeupscoty
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i Mineral Gray

Quote:
Originally Posted by reedo302 View Post
My car is STILL sitting at the port in Baltimore right now for whatever reason, and I told my CA that I wanted the ASS programmed to remember last as soon as it arrived at the dealership. He told me that it is still being done, but I am required to take delivery of the vehicle and drive it for a bit before I can have them do it. Told him I'd give it a week.
Some dealers insist that you take delivery in order to qualify for warranty coverage. Mine did it before I took delivery.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2013, 11:44 PM   #194
10nelyboi
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 - 335I

I took mine in the dealer over the weekend and picked it up on Monday, it was in for a software update/recall, since I was there I requested the dealer to code my ASS off. After driving today, I found out that every times I switch to ECO mode, the ASS feature will turn itself back on. So in another word, if I want to drive my car in ECO mode, I have to manually turn off the ASS feature. Is it suppose to be like that ?? I thought after coding once the ASS is turned off, it will stay off regardless of the driving mode. Can some one inform me before I go crazy on my local dealer
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2013, 11:49 PM   #195
bizzyqu
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 M240i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10nelyboi View Post
I took mine in the dealer over the weekend and picked it up on Monday, it was in for a software update/recall, since I was there I requested the dealer to code my ASS off. After driving today, I found out that every times I switch to ECO mode, the ASS feature will turn itself back on. So in another word, if I want to drive my car in ECO mode, I have to manually turn off the ASS feature. Is it suppose to be like that ?? I thought after coding once the ASS is turned off, it will stay off regardless of the driving mode. Can some one inform me before I go crazy on my local dealer
Your dealer did it right. What the coding does is that it remembers what you had it in even if you shut off the car, it does not permanently disable the feature you just don't have to keep turning it off. ASS is a feature of ecopro so it only makes sense that you would want it on if you are going to be driving in ecopro for maximum fuel savings, so the car flips it on along with the rest of the changes that go along with ecopro (even though I understand why you would want if off permanently)

I want to bring mine in but my dealer said I have to wait about 2 month after taking delivery to get it done. Car is going in soon to address squeaking brakes so I'm going to try to get the coding done then.
      04-24-2013, 01:17 PM   #196
10nelyboi
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizzyqu
Quote:
Your dealer did it right. What the coding does is that it remembers what you had it in even if you shut off the car, it does not permanently disable the feature you just don't have to keep turning it off. ASS is a feature of ecopro so it only makes sense that you would want it on if you are going to be driving in ecopro for maximum fuel savings, so the car flips it on along with the rest of the changes that go along with ecopro (even though I understand why you would want if off permanently)

I want to bring mine in but my dealer said I have to wait about 2 month after taking delivery to get it done. Car is going in soon to address squeaking brakes so I'm going to try to get the coding done then.
thanks for the clarification. I was hoping that it wouldn't turn on even on ECO mode.
what kind of brake issues are you having with 2 months old car ??
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2013, 01:17 PM   #197
10nelyboi
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizzyqu
Quote:

thanks for the clarification. I was hoping that it wouldn't turn on even on ECO mode.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2013, 09:32 AM   #198
bizzyqu
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 M240i xDrive

Quote:
They squeal at low speeds, about 1400 miles on it. I think it is a known issue with M-Sport models