F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N20, N26, B46, B48 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Dinan Stage 4 Experience
ARMA SPEED

11-09-2017, 01:38 PM   #23
Dinan_Rated
DINAN SELLER
Rep
Drives: BMW X3MC X3M40i, DINAN M5 V10

Quote:
Originally Posted by subzero05 View Post
never had an issue with Dinan here, and im on my second car with their product. always been easy to deal with and quality has been top notch
agreed 21 cars used DINAN and 24 years later no issues at all!

sorry for your issues, could of been with the quality of the build prior to mods..
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2017, 12:05 PM   #24
jvit27
Private
Rep
Drives: '99 M3, '04 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinan_Rated View Post
agreed 21 cars used DINAN and 24 years later no issues at all!

sorry for your issues, could of been with the quality of the build prior to mods..
Could have* been.

Did you miss the first post where he said he bought the car as a CPO, meaning it was bone stock?
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2017, 02:02 PM   #25
Dinan_Rated
DINAN SELLER
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvit27 View Post
Could have* been.

Did you miss the first post where he said he bought the car as a CPO, meaning it was bone stock?
to be honest anyone modding a car takes off the mods prior to selling to regain the expense. So not sure how you can prove the car was bone stock CPO during its lifetime.
Also wonder if a detailed PPI was done to confirm the condition and maintenance record.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2017, 10:28 AM   #26
NHSkibm
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E30, F31, L434

Quote:
I called them today. Should hear back tomorrow. They just replaced my intercooler due to logo peeling. I’m sure they will make this right.
Thank you. Finally did hear back. Ended up just getting a refund/warranty on the exhaust. Nothing on why my MPG has suffered so much or I have a massive vibration on cold start.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rphz View Post
With the stage 4 tune, doesn't this typically require an upgraded fuel pump to operate optimally? Not sure if this applies to the N20, but does for the N55.

Also, have you considered upgrading your air intake to an aftermarket cold air intake? It should improve airflow into the turbo over stock. If anything, try a drop-in performance filter first to see if there's any change at all.

As for the performance expectations, if you look at the graphs Dinan provides for the stage 4 elite for N20, it shows exactly what you are experiencing, which is very little gains until 4000+ RPM and peak gains beyond 5500 RPM.
Yeah, shame on me for not studying the curve and seeing the 4k+ RPM. Regardless of that the biggest issue I have is new vibration in the car (even without exhaust) and loss of MPG.

I'm going to likely grab a drop in and a down pipe in 6k - I'm about to get my 45k check-up at the dealer which is the last full maintenance shot they give.

Though I will let them know of the loss of MPG and Vibration and see if they point to Dinan or may ask them to check my coils (which I've heard can go around 45k in the N20).

Quote:
Originally Posted by subzero05 View Post
never had an issue with Dinan here, and im on my second car with their product. always been easy to deal with and quality has been top notch
Yeah, it's been an interesting and surprising experience.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2017, 10:32 AM   #27
NHSkibm
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvit27 View Post
Could have* been.

Quote:
to be honest anyone modding a car takes off the mods prior to selling to regain the expense. So not sure how you can prove the car was bone stock CPO during its lifetime.
Also wonder if a detailed PPI was done to confirm the condition and maintenance record.
Yeah, CPO means BMW dealer had to do a whole bunch of work prior to me getting the car. That said the particular dealer I purchased it at has unfortunately lost many folks that were staples there over the years. So, you never really know what they went through on the car before putting it up for sale - especially since I saw it and purchase it prior to it going through the shop.

But per my other comment I'm still under 50k so the service I'm due for in a couple weeks I'm going to ask the SA to be rather thorough and talk to the shop foreman as well (who has been around forever and knows his shit).

We'll see what happens.
Appreciate 1
      11-20-2017, 12:04 PM   #28
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

I can tell you based on my experience with S1 on a brand new f31 xDrive - install at 1200 miles - there's definitely a noticeable difference. From a warranty perspective I'm probably in better shape than you since I had 49k miles to go and all work was done at BMW dealer so single throat to choke.

I am not going to talk exhaust since that's a cosmetic type thing if that's the right word, but everything else the 4-cyl that's in my 2016 after you go past S1 it's big dollars for minimal gains and you're doing major work. All that is to say even if you just had S1 you should notice som definite gains.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2017, 10:19 PM   #29
Dinan_Rated
DINAN SELLER
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHSkibm View Post
Yeah, CPO means BMW dealer had to do a whole bunch of work prior to me getting the car. That said the particular dealer I purchased it at has unfortunately lost many folks that were staples there over the years. So, you never really know what they went through on the car before putting it up for sale - especially since I saw it and purchase it prior to it going through the shop.

But per my other comment I'm still under 50k so the service I'm due for in a couple weeks I'm going to ask the SA to be rather thorough and talk to the shop foreman as well (who has been around forever and knows his shit).

We'll see what happens.
Thanks for the update. They just covered my cp for me under Dinan warranty running stage 4 Dinan set up. Hope your next visit goes well.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2018, 08:26 PM   #30
madmortar
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 328i M-Sport

any update on this? Are you still running stock exhaust? Car still run like crap?

Cant they run logs and dig into it..?
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2018, 09:16 AM   #31
NHSkibm
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmortar View Post
any update on this? Are you still running stock exhaust? Car still run like crap?

Cant they run logs and dig into it..?
Update: Still running the stock exhaust but added a Wagner Catted Downpipe and the thing REALLY opened up.

Car is now running the Dinan Turbo, Dinan Intercooler, Dinan Stage 4 and Downpipe and the thing rips when you hit about 4,500RPM. It no longer feels choked and pulls hard - especially for a 4cyl single Turbo.

The downpipe also gives it a little more low end torque than stock and even the all Dinan set-up. Given the total cost of these mods bump the car to 335/340 prices I'd say it gets you to a similar place drive/feel-wise. Of course single turbo 4cyl can't match 6cyl twin but doesn't feel too far off from my M235 and I pulled up on a 135i at WOT getting on the highway - I think he was a little surprised...

Car is also paired with KW V2's and some 19" 403M wheels and sits pretty perfect.

#1 mod is still the sliding armrest though.

So far it's in good shape and I'm now looking into whether we can get a 6spd into it from a Euro Car or US Spec X1...
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2018, 10:37 AM   #32
anotheran
Sedan Driver
Canada
Rep
Drives: A nice car

Quote:
Update: Still running the stock exhaust but added a Wagner Catted Downpipe and the thing REALLY opened up.

Car is now running the Dinan Turbo, Dinan Intercooler, Dinan Stage 4 and Downpipe and the thing rips when you hit about 4,500RPM. It no longer feels choked and pulls hard - especially for a 4cyl single Turbo.

The downpipe also gives it a little more low end torque than stock and even the all Dinan set-up. Given the total cost of these mods bump the car to 335/340 prices I'd say it gets you to a similar place drive/feel-wise. Of course single turbo 4cyl can't match 6cyl twin but doesn't feel too far off from my M235 and I pulled up on a 135i at WOT getting on the highway - I think he was a little surprised...

Car is also paired with KW V2's and some 19" 403M wheels and sits pretty perfect.

#1 mod is still the sliding armrest though.

So far it's in good shape and I'm now looking into whether we can get a 6spd into it from a Euro Car or US Spec X1...
sounds great. think you'll need to update the title of this thread?

ZCP | ZHP | ZTR | ZE0 | MSport | ZMP | DHP | MStickerPack | THP | MPPSK | MPPK
BMW MSP Lightweight Jacket | DTM Motorsport Team Cap| BMW M Drift Cat 5 | BMW M Thermo Mug
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2018, 10:49 AM   #33
alohasurftoad
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 440i gran coupe w/mppsk

you should ditch those heavy 403's and put on some lightweight forged or flowformed wheels and good light tires such as michelin PS4S, continental extremecontact sport, or pirelli pzero pz4.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2018, 12:53 PM   #34
yoon_209
Masterchief
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20' BMW M340i

you cud have gotten the same performance and probably more reliability with a jb4 and downpipes
      03-07-2018, 09:19 PM   #35
NHSkibm
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by anotheran View Post
sounds great. think you'll need to update the title of this thread?
In all honesty i would steer people away from Dinan.

1. Getting them engaged on the exhaust was incredibly difficult - and there was no answer, though i got a tefund on the part, but not labor.

2. I have a CPO that had 40k on it when instaled and Dinan’s “we match the 4yr/50k warranty” means they stop at 50k, not that you get 50k. So, if you have a new car and want to mod it the warranty is worth the extra cash, if you have 40k on the car then you are overpaying.

3. As others have stated if I wanted more power I should’ve done something more aggressive than Dinan and likely saved some money.

I think Dinan has a place - on a brand new car. But for my use case it was a poor decision and coupled with less than amazing support reduces their NPS in my book.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2018, 09:23 PM   #36
NHSkibm
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alohasurftoad View Post
you should ditch those heavy 403's and put on some lightweight forged or flowformed wheels and good light tires such as michelin PS4S, continental extremecontact sport, or pirelli pzero pz4.
After digging into the 6spd swap and deciding it’s just not worth it I’m actually going to sell the car - so next owner can do that. Was definitely going to go non runflat but just decided I don’t have the use for the car - I have another daily and another fun car so of the three this is the last I’ll drive.

While my experience with Dinan wasnt the greatest the end result of this car is good. Just can’t live with a BMW without a stick. #firstworldproblems
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2018, 07:24 AM   #37
madmortar
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 328i M-Sport

Quote:
In all honesty i would steer people away from Dinan.

1. Getting them engaged on the exhaust was incredibly difficult - and there was no answer, though i got a tefund on the part, but not labor.

2. I have a CPO that had 40k on it when instaled and Dinan’s “we match the 4yr/50k warranty” means they stop at 50k, not that you get 50k. So, if you have a new car and want to mod it the warranty is worth the extra cash, if you have 40k on the car then you are overpaying.

3. As others have stated if I wanted more power I should’ve done something more aggressive than Dinan and likely saved some money.

I think Dinan has a place - on a brand new car. But for my use case it was a poor decision and coupled with less than amazing support reduces their NPS in my book.
#2 & #3 should have been considered before hand right? I mean shouldn't have come to any surprise?

Anyway. Glad it all worked out in the end. I have heard a number of bad things about Dinan N20 exhaust and it's a shame as I think it had a great look.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2018, 03:42 PM   #38
NHSkibm
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmortar View Post
#2 & #3 should have been considered before hand right? I mean shouldn't have come to any surprise?

Anyway. Glad it all worked out in the end. I have heard a number of bad things about Dinan N20 exhaust and it's a shame as I think it had a great look.
#3 of course wasn't a surprise - you take less power for warranty/name.

#2 was really just not reading the fine print - which is my warning here, and if I realized #2 was a "match that ended with factory" then I might've done something around #3.

And the exhaust is a shame - it really did look good and at certain RPMs sounded great, you could tell the potential.
Appreciate 0