F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > [MotorTrend] 435i review and HD footage (Carlos Lago)
GetBMWParts

08-13-2013, 07:33 AM   #67
S65 #1
Rep
Drives: 2012 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MY13E92M3 View Post
LMFAO!!!

Are you serious!?! You can't be serious.

That's just wrong on so many levels.

Everyone who bought an M3, bought an M3 because they did NOT want the "M4."

Those who got their M3 recently are very blessed since so many people were scrambling for allocations.

+1
I love my current m3 and wouldn't trade it for that catfish looking m4 reguardless of the performance difference. BMW M sent me a email asking me what should we do for the future and I told them drop the M4 name a give it a bespoke M engine. I am not going to be buying the new M4 or any 4 series. Looks like a 6 series is next fro me.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2013, 10:12 AM   #68
Asbjorn
Captain
China
Rep
Drives: Z4 N54 DCT (VTT GC lites)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
^^+1. That is my understanding too. That is what BMW told me at this press event in Lisbon - there are only TWO steering modes one in comfort(and Eco and Eco+) and one in Sport(or S+).

Dackel
In the Z4 I noticed that the steering goes into sport mode with DSC turned fully off. I wouldn't know if it is the same on Fxx models, but the new Z4 also has the normal/sport/sport+ button. However on the Z4, DSC=off is a mode itself, and cannot be selected together with sport/sport+.

Could someone try it out in the new 3-series? It would probably be the same in the 4-series then. The task is simple: Drive in normal, feel how heavy the steering is, then press and hold the DSC off button and notice if the steering becomes heavier as in changing between comfort and sports modes.

I like how I can get sports steering without the "sports" throttle/gearbox/suspension by simply turning the DSC off (long press). The throttle response is already fine with the ESS tune and seems over-boosted in sport. Also the DCT gearbox has the D, sport and manual modes so I don't miss anything there either.

Also not having the adaptive suspension is a big plus if you use DSC=off alot.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2013, 10:12 AM   #69
AlexTek
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 E92 2011 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by i001947
The more I look at anything non M, the more I love my M3.
Me too. I hope the new M3 & M4 are not so sexy so our current M3 E9X are kept being the favorites in the Crowd. LOL
- Upgrades:MS Stage 2 Intake + Turner Test Pipes + BPM Stage 2 Tune with Coding; Fox Red Novillo/Carbon Leather/Competition Package/Premium Package 2/Convenience Package /Enhanced Premium Sound/Satelite Radio
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2013, 10:52 AM   #70
i001947
Captain
Rep
Drives: '13 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by B1N View Post
man all you guys who just recently bought a m3 are gonna be kicking yourselves when the new m4 comes out...
Not really. Without a NA V8, it really doesn't even register with me. I'm sure the 20 turbos M4 will impress many. But for me, my car got to have that emotional element. I will keep my M3 for a long time.

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=873879
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2013, 11:08 AM   #71
Blubaron79
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i xDrive

After watching this, I cannot wait to drive this thing on a track next Tuesday!!!!

(Check my previous thread for explanation)

Previous: '18 340i xDrive; '15 335 xDrive; '14 435i xDrive; '09 335 E92 xDrive
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2013, 11:26 AM   #72
elistan
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 328i, AP1 S2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
To me, he's trying a very political way of saying that this "4-Series" effort is simply not supported with anything of real upscale/special/different in this 3-Series Coupe.

And I agree.

Rumor said that the E92 was supposed to be the new 4-Series back in 2007 and somehow it got dismissed at the corporate level. I would say that it would have been a much better 4-Series back in 2007 than this F32 4-Series is now. This F32 is closer to the F30 (exterior and interior) than the E92 is to the E90, IMO.

BMW should have given this 4-Series more potent engines at least (a 430i and a 440i would have been better introductions) so there would have been a more defined and definite difference between this and the F30. Not that this 4-Series is bad in any form or function, but this new nomenclature is missing that special "thing". It is just not there.

You know, something more like a 4 than a 3 and a half...
Why does there need to be a sportiness difference between a two-door four-seat BMW car and a four-door four-seat BMW car? I'm a driving enthusiast, but I needed a car with easy access to the back seats for adult passengers so I got a sedan and never considered a coupe. But I got the most-fun-to-drive sedan within my budget. It makes perfect sense to me that a purchaser of a four-door could want all the same performance updates that a purchaser of a two-door would want. I would love to have the sportier suspension tuning the 4 supposedly has, but not at the cost of the second set of doors. Do two-door car owners get upset when their performance options are also available to four-door car owners? Do two-door car owners get their two-door cars simply because of the performance options, and would get the four-door versions if those options were available on the platform?
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2013, 12:51 PM   #73
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Toy

Garage List
Quote:
the m4 isn't even out yet though?

It's going to look and perform better than the current m3, and that isn't even subjective...
Yes, the M4 isn't out yet, but real ///M owners know what the new F3X brings and it does not look good (so far.)

It is subjective. The look is F3X'ish and the performance may be better and more efficient, but without that beautiful V8... smh.
Sold - 2003 E46 M3 LSB SMG
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2013, 12:58 PM   #74
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Toy

Garage List
Quote:
the m4 isn't even out yet though?

It's going to look and perform better than the current m3, and that isn't even subjective...

Quote:
Originally Posted by i001947 View Post
Not really. Without a NA V8, it really doesn't even register with me. I'm sure the 20 turbos M4 will impress many. But for me, my car got to have that emotional element. I will keep my M3 for a long time.

B1N, this guy knows. ...subjective.
Sold - 2003 E46 M3 LSB SMG
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2013, 01:25 PM   #75
dalrx
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 530i

Why all the attention by all the car mags for the 435i? What about the 428i? Does that model not matter?
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2013, 01:31 PM   #76
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by elistan View Post
Why does there need to be a sportiness difference between a two-door four-seat BMW car and a four-door four-seat BMW car? I'm a driving enthusiast, but I needed a car with easy access to the back seats for adult passengers so I got a sedan and never considered a coupe. But I got the most-fun-to-drive sedan within my budget. It makes perfect sense to me that a purchaser of a four-door could want all the same performance updates that a purchaser of a two-door would want. I would love to have the sportier suspension tuning the 4 supposedly has, but not at the cost of the second set of doors. Do two-door car owners get upset when their performance options are also available to four-door car owners? Do two-door car owners get their two-door cars simply because of the performance options, and would get the four-door versions if those options were available on the platform?
My point is not sportiness, that's implicit in BMWs. My point is that there is nothing 4-Series in this 3-Series Coupe, IMO.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2013, 01:45 PM   #77
DVC
Diligentia Vis Celeritas
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTailoredSuit View Post
Carlos Lago, one of my favorite reviewers behind Chris Harris...
Interesting review... although when Carlos started speculating that the open diff letting one wheel spin added to the stability of the car on a track, I had to reevaluate his credibility a bit.
      08-13-2013, 01:49 PM   #78
M3_WC
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVCperformance View Post
Interesting review... although when Carlos started speculating that the open diff letting one wheel spin added to the stability of the car on a track, I had to reevaluate his credibility a bit.
Carlos is an o.k. reviewer. There are much better reviewers behind Chris Harris than Carlos.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2013, 03:35 PM   #79
elistan
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 328i, AP1 S2000

Quote:
My point is not sportiness, that's implicit in BMWs. My point is that there is nothing 4-Series in this 3-Series Coupe, IMO.
Okay, I think I understand your point now - but I'm not sure that it matters? It's just a name - there's no requirement that it be anything other than a 3 series with two instead of four doors. IMO just because "4" is a larger number than "3" does not mean that a "4 Series" needs to be more upscale than a "3 Series." Just because it's a two-door does not mean that it needs to be more upscale than a four-door. I know there is a tradition of the 7 being more upscale than the 5, which in turn is more upscale than the 3... But that pattern need not hold with the 3/4 duality.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2013, 03:43 PM   #80
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by elistan View Post
Okay, I think I understand your point now - but I'm not sure that it matters? It's just a name - there's no requirement that it be anything other than a 3 series with two instead of four doors. IMO just because "4" is a larger number than "3" does not mean that a "4 Series" needs to be more upscale than a "3 Series." Just because it's a two-door does not mean that it needs to be more upscale than a four-door. I know there is a tradition of the 7 being more upscale than the 5, which in turn is more upscale than the 3... But that pattern need not hold with the 3/4 duality.
Actually, that's the whole purpose of the Series... the higher you go the higher is the scale (and the price).

This seems to be just a Series number change and nothing else in the case of the F32. That's my disappointment in this car -and it seems that Carlos Lago's as well. However, I think that the F82 M4 will be really much more upscale, better performing and expensive than the E92 M3.

So maybe that's the real whole point.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2013, 03:44 PM   #81
cvandenhaute
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 BMW 128i, '19 Genesis G70

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerjph View Post
I agree. I don't get it either. But I think he is not that far off, because I am even starting to see new 328xi's on the lot here in Memphis. For the record it has not snowed here in about two years.

Honestly, I blame Audi. They have been pushing AWD (by which I mean advertising the Quattro system) hard in the US over the past few years.
So true, I live in Colorado (and in Illinois before that) where about 80% of BMW are Xdrive. Everytime someone asks whether my 1 series is AWD they look completely freaked out when I tell them nope, does not even exist. I use it all year round with proper winter tires in the winter, no issue.
      08-13-2013, 03:45 PM   #82
300hp
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: X5 & 335xi

Quote:
That's my disappointment in this car -and it seems that Carlos Lago's as well. However, I think that the F82 M4 will be really much more upscale, better performing and expensive than the E92 M3.

So maybe that's the real whole point.
I am speculating M3 will start around 66k, M4 closer to 70k.

Deep Sea Blue Metallic 2013 X5 35d Sport
Prem, Convenience, Cold and Premium Sound packages
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2013, 03:54 PM   #83
cvandenhaute
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 BMW 128i, '19 Genesis G70

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDWonder View Post
Has anyone actually noticed how unenthusiastic he was reviewing the car. It was as if he didn’t want to say anything too negative because BMW invited him for a test drive. He almost seems to hint that this car is ordinary, and not that exciting. He seems, honestly, by looking at his face and tone of voice, disappointed. Look at his previous review of other BMWs, Audis, and etc, there’s far more sensation from him. I hope I’m wrong, and that the car is as every bit good as the predecessor. He is an excellent reviewer though.
I was just thinking the same things: the car is good, very good even but totally not exciting if I read between the lines. There was a time a 318is was an (affordable) blast to drive, that privilege was not limited to the ///M models. Does really not make me willing break the bank for replacing my 1-series for that thing (especially with that ugly front). it does not sound like a driver's car anymore
      08-13-2013, 04:02 PM   #84
bimmerjph
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2005 Z4 3.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by visualguy
Quote:
I agree. I don't get it either. But I think he is not that far off, because I am even starting to see new 328xi's on the lot here in Memphis. For the record it has not snowed here in about two years.

Honestly, I blame Audi. They have been pushing AWD (by which I mean advertising the Quattro system) hard in the US over the past few years.
AWD has advantages even in areas where is doesn't snow. The improved grip is quite noticeable.
AWD does not improve grip. What AWD does do is allow less skilled drivers (not meant in a derogatory way) to power out of a corner earlier (in other words it gives you more traction).
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2013, 04:21 PM   #85
visualguy
Captain
Rep
Drives: M5

Quote:
AWD does not improve grip. What AWD does do is allow less skilled drivers (not meant in a derogatory way) to power out of a corner earlier (in other words it gives you more traction).
Also better launch from stop with AWD. You can call it traction or you can call it grip - I don't think the word matters. Anyway, the point was that AWD has advantages even in areas where there is no snow. Making things easier for less skilled drivers is certainly an advantage...
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2013, 07:25 PM   #86
R N M
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Its so crazy how things have changed - 3 Series BMWs were always the sportiest cars and geared for the driver enthusiast, the luxury part was secondary.
The BMWs were never the most powerful, the most reliable, or the most luxurious but they were by far THE BEST DRIVER'S CAR - and this applied to all versions not just M models.

This was true for the E92 i had as well. It didnt have all the luxury features (ie rearview camera, ventilated seats) but the car was so AWESOME TO DRIVE and thats why i got it.

The F30/32 - its like luxury first and a hint of sportiness.

Lexus is where u go for the sporty cars now.
RC-F with the V8 and RC coupe should give BMW M4/4series a serious challenge.
Previous: 2016 F80 ///M3; 2013 F10 535i MSport; 2012 F10 528i MSport; 2009 E92 335i MSport
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2013, 08:45 PM   #87
DNG
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 128i

"... But it's not. It's the 4-series, which of course means, its one better." Made me lol
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2013, 09:12 PM   #88
DrivenByE30
Brigadier General
France
Rep
Drives: '12 F30 Lux 335i 6MT

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remonster View Post
It is a single turbo, "Twin Power" is marketing nonsense referring to the fact that they're using a twin-scroll turbo with two inlets, but there's still only one turbo. The N54 had two separate turbos, I've owned both and both motors have very similar power delivery so I don't know why BMW insists on confusing its customers.
When you go from two turbo (with awesome power such as the N54), to a single turbo (with the same power as the N55), no matter what sort of saving you are making, the sponge-bob customer will immediately think it's a downgrade... so Bmw has no choice but call on the sand-in-the-eye marketing department...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KORALLROT View Post
He seemed pretty enthusiastic reviewing the 335i f30?

fixed it for you.

I think the reason Carlos didn't sound so enthusiastic this time over the 3 series is because of the name change...

he said it himself, and i think the same, the coupe didn't need the name changes....

... unless it's drastically different, but it's not...

there have been some dynamic component changes, yes, i agree, but overall the difference are not as big as say between the A4 and A5 for example

having said that, the 4 series is definitely not a bad car, on par and better than the 3 series, just not drastically better unfortunately.
Dare i say the F30 better(ness) over the E90 kinda spoiled the arrival of the 4 series ?

Last edited by DrivenByE30; 08-13-2013 at 09:27 PM..
Appreciate 0