F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > So what percentage of your income is spent on car payments?
ARMA SPEED

04-07-2017, 06:50 PM   #67
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rat3d ///M View Post
Who cares? Personal questions about ones financial situation have no bearing on anything and don't belong on the internet. I guess if people are willing to answer the question then that's on them but I cringe when I read someone divulge personal information about their finances. Have some tact, people. Even if you make 7 figured a year, talking about your personal financial situation is one of the most tasteless things you can do no matter how well, or bad off you are.
What's the problem with someone trying to benchmark their budget vs. others willing to share information? Why did you read through the thread if it makes you cringe?
Biorin2784.50
      04-07-2017, 07:01 PM   #68
infamousdiz
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: (17 X5M)gone 2018M3CS HERE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rat3d ///M View Post
Who cares? Personal questions about ones financial situation have no bearing on anything and don't belong on the internet. I guess if people are willing to answer the question then that's on them but I cringe when I read someone divulge personal information about their finances. Have some tact, people. Even if you make 7 figured a year, talking about your personal financial situation is one of the most tasteless things you can do no matter how well, or bad off you are.
its not 1950 and we are not at the country club, this is the age of information. dont be such a C U Next Tuesday
      04-07-2017, 07:14 PM   #69
Axius
Banned
Seychelles
Rep
Drives: 612 Scaglietti

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickFLM4 View Post
What's the problem with someone trying to benchmark their budget vs. others willing to share information? Why did you read through the thread if it makes you cringe?
Probably afraid to discuss salary with coworkers also.
Appreciate 1
      04-07-2017, 08:59 PM   #70
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic

0%

"There is no shame in dropping fruit in your glass."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2017, 11:04 PM   #71
Arizona_Steve
Driving 'Mr Car Car'
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 AW BMW M2

0%. Paid cash. I hate debt.

(Yes I do have a mortgage though).
      04-08-2017, 12:47 AM   #72
bimmer456
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtabi View Post
1.6% including my wife's salary.

3.06% with salary only.

That is gross salary income through employers. Not including investment income.

We both max out our employee provided retirement and dump 8% into ESPP. Too lazy to give you the finer details in order to figure out the percentage based on net income. Too many things to back out and would need to pull up a paystub. The percentages will be a lot higher though. Sorry too lazy for all of that!
I financed my cars through my HELOC so it is tax deductible and I can take up to 30 years to pay it off if I wanted to, but will pay it off sooner or sell it before then and recoup some of the cost. As far as my retirement plan, I've decided to invest on my own since I can do better than the mutual funds offered in my 401k. The 401k is mainly because it is a tax shelter, but I can still beat the mutual funds even with their tax advantages so I'm doing a Roth IRA and then just a non tax sheltered investment brokerage account that I can withdraw from any time but will have to pay capital gains tax. Would rather have access to the money now rather than waiting 'till I'm 65 which is still a ways away and I can make more money in the meantime. I'm even contemplating investing money from the HELOC as I can beat the interest rate that's being charged, but not ready to be that adventurous just yet, I'll have to see if the bull market continues, though I have a strategy for making money in a bear market as well after noticing some trends lately.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2017, 06:11 AM   #73
RABAUKE
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993, 2014 MB GLK

all paid for, just insurance, fuel and maintenance....I hate making car payments.
Appreciate 1
      04-08-2017, 07:03 AM   #74
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep
Drives: ///M3-E92-DCT Silverstone II

0%

BPM DEV-Tune & DCT Software-Tune & Servotronic & coding ///Alpine HID Angeleyes ///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2017, 07:35 AM   #75
The Choosey begger
Libertarian
United_States
Rep

7%
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2017, 07:42 AM   #76
The Choosey begger
Libertarian
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axius View Post
0% now.
Pretty impressive, your info shows you drive a Ferrari.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2017, 08:01 AM   #77
Xtabi
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer456 View Post
Quote:

3.06% with salary only.

We both max out our employee provided retirement and dump 8% into ESPP. Too lazy to give you the finer details in order to figure out the percentage based on net income. Too many things to back out and would need to pull up a paystub. The percentages will be a lot higher though. Sorry too lazy for all of that!
I financed my cars through my HELOC so it is tax deductible and I can take up to 30 years to pay it off if I wanted to, but will pay it off sooner or sell it before then and recoup some of the cost. As far as my retirement plan, I've decided to invest on my own since I can do better than the mutual funds offered in my 401k. The 401k is mainly because it is a tax shelter, but I can still beat the mutual funds even with their tax advantages so I'm doing a Roth IRA and then just a non tax sheltered investment brokerage account that I can withdraw from any time but will have to pay capital gains tax. Would rather have access to the money now rather than waiting 'till I'm 65 which is still a ways away and I can make more money in the meantime. I'm even contemplating investing money from the HELOC as I can beat the interest rate that's being charged, but not ready to be that adventurous just yet, I'll have to see if the bull market continues, though I have a strategy for making money in a bear market as well after noticing some trends lately.
You are missing out on your employer's 401k matching! For example I get $9,000 free when I dump in my $18,000/year. So $27,000 a year goes in but 1/3 is free money.

Just make sure to at least put in enough to get the free employee contributions. At least that is my *opinion.

*Insert fine print and leagleese language here including past performance is no guarantee of future outcomes.
      04-08-2017, 08:30 AM   #78
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

3.06% with salary only.

You are missing out on your employer's 401k matching! For example I get $9,000 free when I dump in my $18,000/year. So $27,000 a year goes in but 1/3 is free money.

Just make sure to at least put in enough to get the free employee contributions. At least that is my *opinion.

*Insert fine print and leagleese language here including past performance is no guarantee of future outcomes.
Not every employer has 401(K) match. Some just have a plan for employees to defer with no matching. Some have generous matching and many are in between those 2 extremes.
      04-08-2017, 08:40 AM   #79
bimmer456
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

3.06% with salary only.

Ive had employer matching in the past not sure if I currently get it I'll have to check. I've made a killing in the stock market in the past 12 month with 37% return on investment so I'd rather put my money where it does better vs the meager returns in my 401k, maybe 10% or so.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2017, 10:56 AM   #80
RobC2
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: different makes and models.

Typical 401k matches are like an instant 50-100% return.
Appreciate 1
Mr Tonka6058.00
      04-08-2017, 11:13 AM   #81
Axius
Banned
Seychelles
Rep
Drives: 612 Scaglietti

Quote:
Originally Posted by anglo View Post
Pretty impressive, your info shows you drive a Ferrari.
Pays off quick, still live with larents so no variable overhead. They pay insurance also so that helps.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2017, 11:30 AM   #82
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobC2 View Post
Typical 401k matches are like an instant 50-100% return.
And that's before the money working for you in the investments. With my current employer, I didn't roll my previous 401k into it. I started with a fresh account. It's amazing how much money is in the account after working for the company just over 6 years. I max out the allowed annual contributions every year but there's no way I would have come anywhere near what the current balance is in the account without the company match.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2017, 12:19 PM   #83
The Choosey begger
Libertarian
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axius View Post
Pays off quick, still live with larents so no variable overhead. They pay insurance also so that helps.
My parents kicked me out when i went to college and they didnt pay for it but that's cool. lol
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2017, 12:25 PM   #84
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4M Coupe - 13 Cadillac ATS

I originally said 0% but thinking about it I should revise it. I paid cash for my 2013 ATS in April of 2014 but company gives me an allowance of $350 a month plus 20 cents a mile. I plan on keeping it to the point that the resale value keeps me at $0 total cost for my daily driver.

It wouldn't be too hard to contribute some of my own money to drive a nicer car but I just don't see the point or care enough to do it.
      04-08-2017, 12:28 PM   #85
UPSROD
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [10.00]
Another stupid worthless thread where everyone justifies getting what they want when they want it, weather they can really afford it or not!
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2017, 12:35 PM   #86
The Choosey begger
Libertarian
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPSROD View Post
Another stupid worthless thread where everyone justifies getting what they want when they want it, weather they can really afford it or not!
Quit your bitchin! Most are enjoying this thread.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2017, 12:45 PM   #87
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPSROD View Post
The WEATHER is really shitty today.
Appreciate 1
RickFLM410951.50
      04-08-2017, 01:16 PM   #88
Benedict1957
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

I think for younger individuals who haven't had the luxury of time to build significant assets yet <10% gross income is a reasonable rule of thumb for car payments, but it's extremely arbitrary and ignores a whole host of variables that significantly change the equation.

Last edited by Benedict1957; 04-09-2017 at 12:30 AM..
Appreciate 0