F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > F30 DIYs and Coding Discussions > Unable to connect via VIN !!
proTUNING Freaks

08-13-2014, 08:34 PM   #1
10nelyboi
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 - 335I

Unable to connect via VIN !!

The last time I coded my car using the same cable and laptop was a couple of months ago, I just got my car back and dealer updated the software. Now Im trying to do some VO coding and I'm getting error "Unable to connect via VIN". What's going on ??
I know that i'm running an older version of E-Sys 3.22.5 with an older pszdata, and my token has expired, but non of that should affect my connection process. I should be able to VO code using my current set up.
I noticed the OBD port in my car is extremely loose, in order for me to have a secure connection, I had to hold the OBD port from the inside while plugging in the cable from the outside. Could it be an issue that something's wrong with my OBD port that's why it couldn't connect ?
I ran ZGW_Search files , and it shows blank
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-13-2014, 09:24 PM   #2
capt_slow
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F31 328d

Garage List
I have this problem all the time, although I suspect there is more than one cause.

In my case, the battery capacity was below a certain threshold and will refuse to connect, giving the "No ZGW Available" message. It will also refuse to connect with the engine running, while the battery is in this state. This usually goes away when I leave the car on a trickle charger for a 2-3 hours.

E-Sys should at least be able to connect and give you the I-Step, even if the dealer updated the programming. If the OBD port really is hosed, you can bring it back for a warranty fix. Plugging things into that port should be considered normal operation.

Last edited by capt_slow; 08-13-2014 at 09:29 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2014, 10:47 PM   #3
10nelyboi
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt_slow View Post
I have this problem all the time, although I suspect there is more than one cause.

In my case, the battery capacity was below a certain threshold and will refuse to connect, giving the "No ZGW Available" message. It will also refuse to connect with the engine running, while the battery is in this state. This usually goes away when I leave the car on a trickle charger for a 2-3 hours.

E-Sys should at least be able to connect and give you the I-Step, even if the dealer updated the programming. If the OBD port really is hosed, you can bring it back for a warranty fix. Plugging things into that port should be considered normal operation.
How did you measure /figure the battery capacity was the issue ? I'd like to check mine battery. I've always coded cars with engine running and never had any problem. I'm not sure how to check the OBD unless I go out and buy another OBD interface devices or something. Even if I bring the car to the dealer, I wonder if they would ask how I did I find out. I wouldn't want to tell them about me trying to Code the car
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2014, 11:24 PM   #4
pikcachu
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i (F22 Red angel)

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt_slow View Post

Just code with the car running....

Unless you do anything to the DME which most likely you will never have the knowledge to do... then coding with the car running is the easiest and safest option... else you will get all kind of errors if the voltage drops while coding even while just reading the coding data
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2014, 11:26 PM   #5
pikcachu
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10nelyboi View Post
How did you measure /figure the battery capacity was the issue ? I'd like to check mine battery. I've always coded cars with engine running and never had any problem. I'm not sure how to check the OBD unless I go out and buy another OBD interface devices or something. Even if I bring the car to the dealer, I wonder if they would ask how I did I find out. I wouldn't want to tell them about me trying to Code the car
Did you connect then disconnect and try to connect again...

if you do that sometimes the car doesn't like that and you need to switch ignition off lock the car let the ECU sleep and then try again else you will see no VIN
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2014, 11:36 PM   #6
Frogman
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 328i

Sometimes E-Sys just won't connect.

When that happens to me, disconnect the cable, turn the car completely off and let it sit for about 15 minutes for it to completely shut down.

Then try again. That has always worked for me.

If it doesn't, then maybe you may have a bad cable.

Also, I think I remember seeing somewhere from Shawn that really old psdzdata can also cause this. Upgrade to E-Sys 3.24.3 and psdzdata 53.3 and try again.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2014, 12:32 AM   #7
10nelyboi
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikcachu View Post
Did you connect then disconnect and try to connect again...

if you do that sometimes the car doesn't like that and you need to switch ignition off lock the car let the ECU sleep and then try again else you will see no VIN
I only disconnected and reconnected 3 times total after my initial attemp failed. I'm not even sure
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2014, 12:35 AM   #8
10nelyboi
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogman View Post
Sometimes E-Sys just won't connect.

When that happens to me, disconnect the cable, turn the car completely off and let it sit for about 15 minutes for it to completely shut down.

Then try again. That has always worked for me.

If it doesn't, then maybe you may have a bad cable.

Also, I think I remember seeing somewhere from Shawn that really old psdzdata can also cause this. Upgrade to E-Sys 3.24.3 and psdzdata 53.3 and try again.
I am going to try it again tonight before going to bed to see if it works. I was hestitated to install new Esys because the new errors I might get. And I already know my current Esys set up has worked before.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2014, 01:15 AM   #9
Frogman
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I am going to try it again tonight before going to bed to see if it works. I was hestitated to install new Esys because the new errors I might get. And I already know my current Esys set up has worked before.
Also, make sure you wait for the "Limited Connectivity" balloon to pop-up that indicates that Windows has setup a fall-back IP address.

If you try to connect before that you have an IP, you'll never be able connect to the car.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2014, 02:31 AM   #10
10nelyboi
Private First Class
Rep

I'm not sure what happened earlier, but I'm able to connect and VO code my car just now. Thanks those who helped!! I took all of your advice and tried them all; I'm able VO code enhance bluetooth features.
On a side notes, it seems like you need to have the latest CAFD files to VO code SAT and Anti-glare HBA. I'm attaching a screenshot of my I-steps, I'm assuming Psdzdata 53.3 should take care of this? (I-steps 14-07-503)
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-14-2014, 07:23 AM   #11
capt_slow
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F31 328d

Garage List
Quote:
How did you measure /figure the battery capacity was the issue? I'd like to check mine battery. I've always coded cars with engine running and never had any problem. I'm not sure how to check the OBD unless I go out and buy another OBD interface devices or something. Even if I bring the car to the dealer, I wonder if they would ask how I did I find out. I wouldn't want to tell them about me trying to Code the car
More like an educated guess. In the past, I tried letting it sleep for 15 minutes before and it never worked for me. The only thing to get it back was the charger.

I only have this problem with loaners though and normally charge the battery the night before any coding.

For the OBDII port, just tell them you were "cleaning the foot well"
      08-14-2014, 07:36 AM   #12
bcornwellatl
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 328i

One thing that will cause issues is if you ever had a IP hard coded instead of using DHCP. If you put a static IP address in your Ethernet adapter (ipv4), the car won't connect to you. Also, if you unplug from the network (using Ethernet) and do not reboot your PC - then it could also cause this issue... the best method is to ensure there are no hard coded IP's for your adapter. It should be set to DHCP. If you use Ethernet for your laptop in your home, when you unplug the cable, either reboot the laptop and then plug into the car, or disable your network adapter, re-enable it, and try it then.. Also double check that the adapter is plugged into the car properly. Sometimes if a pin is not seated correctly, it could cause communication failure. Just my 2 cents...
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2014, 09:30 AM   #13
Frogman
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I'm not sure what happened earlier, but I'm able to connect and VO code my car just now. Thanks those who helped!! I took all of your advice and tried them all; I'm able VO code enhance bluetooth features.
On a side notes, it seems like you need to have the latest CAFD files to VO code SAT and Anti-glare HBA. I'm attaching a screenshot of my I-steps, I'm assuming Psdzdata 53.3 should take care of this? (I-steps 14-07-503)
Yes, you need new psdzdata to VO code.

You should update to 3.24.3 when you go to 53.3 as I'm not sure that 3.22.5 will work with the newer data.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2014, 06:57 PM   #14
pikcachu
Major General
Rep

was trying to code a car today and VIN wasn't showing... tried turning car off and stuff and nothing... then I notice the connector on the ODB2 didn't feel secured, like you could move the ENET cable connector to the sides.... I lay down and look at the car's ODB2 port and noticed the legs of pin 12 look like bent through so that's why the connector wasn't going in and not connecting...

we didn't have any tools to try to pull the pin legs back out so he will try to pull them out or take it to the dealer to fix...

just thought to share the experience
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2014, 06:43 PM   #15
10nelyboi
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks for sharing your experience. I suspect the oDb port was an issue in my case as well. Now I need to find a way to convince the dealer to fix it
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2017, 02:43 PM   #16
NOGRP
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 114i (F20)

I know this is a very old thread but I hope I can find the answer here for my problem.

I am trying to connect to my car with enet cable. I followed every word in the e-sys tutorial but after days of trying still no success.

I have already tried to connect with 2 different PCs and 2 different OS to my car. I checked a lot of settings like disable bluetooth, wifi, firewall, antivirus and other unused network adapter. I also plugged straight to a router just to check the MAC address and the IP but even a Linux Mikrotik and D-link router can not see anything. I thought that maybe I got faulty cable so I ordered a new one.
This cable has arrived today so I tired it again but I got the same issue. None of the LED is blinking on the Ethernet port. ZGW Search shows blank.
I turn on the ignition than I plug the cable in, I wait up to 60 seconds for Windows to say "limited connectivity". The network icon in the tray should show a yellow ! but nothing happen. The icon shows "no cable connected" even after 10 min on both PC. The TCP/IPV4 protocol is on automatic setting.
I even checked the OBD fuse but all of them were okey. The OBD pins seems okey too.
I am out of idea. I have spent days to figure out what is the problem but no luck

I would really appreciate any input.

Last edited by NOGRP; 05-23-2017 at 02:56 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2017, 12:48 AM   #17
Levanius
Enlisted Member
Spain
Rep
Drives: F30 20d M Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOGRP View Post
I know this is a very old thread but I hope I can find the answer here for my problem.

I am trying to connect to my car with enet cable. I followed every word in the e-sys tutorial but after days of trying still no success.

I have already tried to connect with 2 different PCs and 2 different OS to my car. I checked a lot of settings like disable bluetooth, wifi, firewall, antivirus and other unused network adapter. I also plugged straight to a router just to check the MAC address and the IP but even a Linux Mikrotik and D-link router can not see anything. I thought that maybe I got faulty cable so I ordered a new one.
This cable has arrived today so I tired it again but I got the same issue. None of the LED is blinking on the Ethernet port. ZGW Search shows blank.
I turn on the ignition than I plug the cable in, I wait up to 60 seconds for Windows to say "limited connectivity". The network icon in the tray should show a yellow ! but nothing happen. The icon shows "no cable connected" even after 10 min on both PC. The TCP/IPV4 protocol is on automatic setting.
I even checked the OBD fuse but all of them were okey. The OBD pins seems okey too.
I am out of idea. I have spent days to figure out what is the problem but no luck

I would really appreciate any input.
Did you disconnect your antivirus and windows firewall??
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2017, 12:58 AM   #18
Almaretto
Major General
Rep
Drives: Test Vehicles

Quote:
I also plugged straight to a router just to check the MAC address and the IP but even a Linux Mikrotik and D-link router can not see anything.
Unless I am misreading, that sounds like a bad ethernet board in computer.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2017, 10:13 AM   #19
NOGRP
Enlisted Member
Rep

I have a friend who is also coding his BMW. I borrowed his PC and his cable but Its still not working. Now I am sure that the problem is in my car. What should I check in this case? I already checked the OBD fuse and the pins.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2017, 11:23 AM   #20
Almaretto
Major General
Rep

Quote:
I have a friend who is also coding his BMW. I borrowed his PC and his cable but Its still not working. Now I am sure that the problem is in my car. What should I check in this case? I already checked the OBD fuse and the pins.
But did you not say that ethernet port is not working when plugged directly into router?
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2017, 11:30 AM   #21
NOGRP
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almaretto View Post
But did you not say that ethernet port is not working when plugged directly into router?
I am sorry if I was not clear. The Ethernet port did not work with the router too.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2017, 11:32 AM   #22
Almaretto
Major General
Rep

Quote:
I am sorry if I was not clear. The Ethernet port did not work with the router too.
Yes, that is clear. On computer, if router gets no communication, then issue with computer. But, if another computer did not work, then may be car as well.
Appreciate 0