F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Seat not going into memory position when unlocking doors or setting profiles
Extreme Powerhouse

09-22-2014, 10:57 PM   #1
carzaddict
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 Cadillac Escalade ESV

Seat not going into memory position when unlocking doors or setting profiles

I was under the impression that the seat should move into the memory position thats saved on the key....but it never seems to work for me. so i forgot about it since i got my car

Then one day i get a call from a marketing company that wants to do a survey with me and my car....one of the questions he asked me was if i use the profiles...i told him no...and we had a series of things he asked me to do (configure a profile, set a profile, rename a profile)....and then he asked if i ever used it with my key. i told him it never worked so i didnt use it.

he tells me to lock the door with key 1 and unlock with key 2....viola the seat moved into my wifes position. then lock the car with key 2 and unlock with key 1.....viola the seat moved into my position...IT WORKED!

he left........i tried it on my own......i stopped working. what gives? what am i doing wrong?
      09-23-2014, 08:31 AM   #2
rking117
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i & 320i

you got hacked? just kidding. Here are the instructions:

1. with key 1 move everything to the correct position.
2. then lock the car.
3. then unloack the car with key 2 and move everything toposition then lock with key 2.
4. unlock with key 1 and the seat should move to key 1 position.
5. lock the door.(this is a very important step)
6. then unlock the door with key 2 the seat should move to key 2 position.

It is vitally important to lock the door between every exit. if your wife exits the car and doesnt lock it then you come along and hit unlock you just lost your presets and have to use your profile or the buttons on the side of the seat. That isnt how i would have programmed the car to work but we have to live with it as is.

It would have been easier to program the key fob to the seat program preset that way it doesnt relearn every time you exit the vehicle.
      09-23-2014, 08:42 AM   #3
ft1330
Major
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

Sounds like a video game combo straight from Street Fighter or Tekken. I could never figure out how this worked myself, I'll try locking unlocking etc... Thanks for the tip.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2014, 10:37 AM   #4
carzaddict
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 Cadillac Escalade ESV

as far as i know, the seat and key are programmed together.

side question.....why do i have to press and hold the memory seat button to get it into place? why doesnt it just go into the position as soon as i press it (no holding)